Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

Default At the BORG - What Would You Do?

"Larry C" wrote in message

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Larry C wrote:

I ask for the manager and I tell him the story. He checks the
system and says the transaction messed up and it didn't go
through. He then proceeds to get a cashier to run the transaction
and walks away. No "thank you for being honest", "how about a
free orange apron", etc. He just walked away.

I sign the slip and I say to myself "the next time I buy a nail
gun compressor setup and the transaction messes up I will donate
the 300 bucks to charity before I come back here." BTW the guys
picture is no longer in the person in charge spot on the wall of
the that BORG.

Larry C

Please don't take this as a insult to you, Larry. It's more a
commentary on the direction our society in general seems to be
heading.

This is a symptom of a growing problem that seems to get worse with
every generation. Most guys in here seem to be the 40 and over
crowd. The latter half of the generation X seems to be the last
generation that doesn't feel slighted if we're not praised for
simply doing the right thing.

Anyone younger was brought up having their egos coddled like a
bottle of nitroglycerin. No one could be told they were "wrong."
Everyone got a trophy just for participating. Now adults in the
workplace, they have to be praised and rewarded just for showing up
to work. An average job is now considered excellent. The internal
satisfaction of finishing an assignment isn't enough to satisfied
the ego of one who's self-esteem is a house of straw, built by
years of superficial, unearned praise. They must now receive
awards for simply finishing an assignment, regardless of the
quality of work. The bare minimum is seen as the goal, instead of
the starting point.

So now, we feel insulted if no one makes a big deal out of the fact
that we were simply honest. What used to be the baseline from
which we'd assess one another's character, has now become something
we expect to be exalted as extraordinary.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

You have the generational thing wrong with me, I am 45. I totally
agree with you about people can't handle being told they are wrong.
I deal with it in my professional life all the time.

I didn't go back with the idea that I would get something in return.
I went back because it was the right thing to do. It was just a
little disheartening that the manager didn't even acknowledge the
fact that I did come back. My comment was more of a point how
someone could become fed up or jaded, not that I was hoping for
something in return for doing something honest and correct.

Larry C

The older generation and the one that I brought up was taught to say
please and thank you
along with being expected to do the right thing. That manager should
have had the common
decency to have said thank you, You don't necessarily expect some
sort of reward for doing
what is right, but you do expect someone to acknowledge that you did,
I was also taught to say yes sir or ma'am and that is how I taught
mine.
I feel some things are the right thing to do, Now days, seems people
have forgotten what
to teach their kids
CC