Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default Honda Generators

" wrote:

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 19:02:18 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

" wrote:

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 17:59:22 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

If they can afford it. The kids were in school, since it was
winter. How do the parents take off and not cause the kids to fail, and
be held back a year? How were they to know it would be six weeks?

It the power in the entire area is out, there won't be any school.

^^

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left. That's
different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school without
a large power plant in over 25 years.

I've never seen one *WITH* one. If it's not safe for the kiddies on the
street, they're closed.

Maybe in Alabamaistan or NY, but the newer public buildings in this
area are built to be hurricane shelters.

Or Georgia, or Ohio, or Illinois, or Vermont. None. Even the ones with
fallout shelters. ;-)

I remember schools in Ohio with them. Not big enough to run
everything, but big enough for the school to function.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Steve W." wrote:

wrote:

" wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
If they can afford it. The kids were in school, since it was
winter. How do the parents take off and not cause the kids to fail, and
be held back a year? How were they to know it would be six weeks?
It the power in the entire area is out, there won't be any school.
^^

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left. That's
different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school without
a large power plant in over 25 years.
I've never seen one *WITH* one. If it's not safe for the kiddies on the
street, they're closed.

Maybe in Alabamaistan or NY, but the newer public buildings in this
area are built to be hurricane shelters.

The local schools around me are hit/miss on who does have back-up power.
The local one did have until they added on to the place.

A couple others nearby have either fixed units or huge portables
(ex-military surplus usually)

Some got grants and insurance funding after the floods and added power
on as they discovered being a storm shelter doesn't work very well
without power.

These are the same as those huge Diesel generators they use at Cell
towers.

You can see one in this image, to the right side of the roof. It's
the yellow rectangle that's parallel to the highway.

http://ecn.dynamic.t0.tiles.virtuale...ading=hill&n=z
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Most of the Honda Generators around here, are near ground level.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

One came 1/4 mile from the house when I was little.

I've had one skip over me at a higher altitude, it's a strange sight. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

We used to have a Honda generator, my Dad had.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hardly at all. I don't have any baseboards in my family, nor do I have any
lets rolls.

Or marbles.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Hey, Honda generators need gas, too!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ideally, fill your "bunch of cans" when it's calm weather, and the power
is
on.

Then store it in your living room, until you need it? Y2K madness
all over again.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

In 1973, I was riding my bicycle to school.
Didn't have a Honda generator, either.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That combination of cold and no power, would make you wish you had a Honda
generator.

How many did you have in 1973?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe they were talking about a HondaJet?

http://hondajet.honda.com/

I've noticed threads sometimes drift off course here. ;-)

.

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

One came 1/4 mile from the house when I was little.

I've had one skip over me at a higher altitude, it's a strange sight. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default Birmingham blizzard of 1993

The Damn Yankees are the ones who are casually driving, and wondering what's
the big problem anyway?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

We had The Blizzard of 1993 which paralyzed Birmingham and surrounding
area to an incredible degree(no pun). It would have been a minor
inconvenience for a Northern city but what hit us was way outside our
experience with snowfall. We could swap them dang Yankees a few
tornadoes for a couple of blizzards. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default schools backup power

In PRNY, I've seen zero schools with backup generators. But, then, I've not
been near a school in a while.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

If they can afford it. The kids were in school, since it was
winter. How do the parents take off and not cause the kids to fail, and
be held back a year? How were they to know it would be six weeks?

It the power in the entire area is out, there won't be any school.

^^

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left. That's
different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school without
a large power plant in over 25 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default FEMA blocks the tankers

I was listening to the AM radio out of Rochester, NY during Hurricane
Katrena. The Rochester, NY fire department had a boat to send, to help out.
Aparently, FEMA heard of this, and called them to tell them not to come.

I've heard plenty of other moments when FEMA prevented rescuers from
rescuing. I suspect they are the "Department of NO".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

That's great, if the tankers can get there. What it really means is
that other stations get no gas, unless extra trucks are availible.

...and they're so likely to send trucks into an area where there is doubt
that
they'll come back (soon).

Do you have any idea how long the state of Florida is, and how many
tanker loads of gasoline it takes to evacutate an area? FEMA stopped
gasoline deliveries to Florida in the last round of huricanes that hit
this area. They were sitting along I 75, across the state border.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/6/2012 6:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The Damn Yankees are the ones who are casually driving, and wondering what's
the big problem anyway?

I actually had to dig my car out of a snowbank, something you don't see
down South except in times of Global Warming. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Oddly, due to climate change, PRNY had nearly no slow last season. I'm OK
with that.

Sorry you had to dig out. That's no fun.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 8/6/2012 6:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The Damn Yankees are the ones who are casually driving, and wondering
what's
the big problem anyway?

I actually had to dig my car out of a snowbank, something you don't see
down South except in times of Global Warming. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

In article , cayoung61
says...

The Damn Yankees are the ones who are casually driving, and wondering what's
the big problem anyway?

They find out right quick. Driving in New England after a snowstorm
isn't much of a problem--the plows make a pass through the major roads
and get some sand down very quickly. Without the plows we get stuck or
go slipsliding away just like Southern folks. A snowstorm in Atlanta is
a different experience from one in Ohio. I never had to put the chains
on in Ohio or in Connecticut, but I did once in Atlanta.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

We had The Blizzard of 1993 which paralyzed Birmingham and surrounding
area to an incredible degree(no pun). It would have been a minor
inconvenience for a Northern city but what hit us was way outside our
experience with snowfall. We could swap them dang Yankees a few
tornadoes for a couple of blizzards. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:50:24 -0400, "J. Clarke" wrote:

In article , cayoung61
says...

The Damn Yankees are the ones who are casually driving, and wondering what's
the big problem anyway?

They find out right quick. Driving in New England after a snowstorm
isn't much of a problem--the plows make a pass through the major roads
and get some sand down very quickly.

Maybe in CT, but not in real New England. Sand is for sissies and
enviro-weenies. In the cold country they use straight salt or nothing.

Without the plows we get stuck or
go slipsliding away just like Southern folks.

Nonsense. You've obviously never lived in the South.

A snowstorm in Atlanta is
a different experience from one in Ohio. I never had to put the chains
on in Ohio or in Connecticut, but I did once in Atlanta.

The problem with the South, Altanta in particular, are the drivers; both in
number and preparedness. ...and they really don't know how to drive in bad
weather; fast and brake-happy.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

In article , the-daring-dufas@stinky-
finger.net says...

On 8/6/2012 6:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The Damn Yankees are the ones who are casually driving, and wondering what's
the big problem anyway?

I actually had to dig my car out of a snowbank, something you don't see
down South except in times of Global Warming. ^_^

Girl next door to me actually lost hers. I came out one day and she's
wandering up and down the street looking puzzled. I asked her what was
up and she told me she was looking for her car, (a brand new Cosworth
Vega). After looking for a while we concluded that it had been stolen.
She called the cops, they opened a case, came out and took statements,
she reported it to her insurance, they paid off, she got a new car (I
forget what--it wasn't a Cosworth Vega though). Come spring this
immense snowbank melted and there it was.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 07:16:20 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

In PRNY, I've seen zero schools with backup generators. But, then, I've not
been near a school in a while.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
om...

If they can afford it. The kids were in school, since it was
winter. How do the parents take off and not cause the kids to fail, and
be held back a year? How were they to know it would be six weeks?

It the power in the entire area is out, there won't be any school.

^^

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left. That's
different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school without
a large power plant in over 25 years.

That depends on where you are. Some areas have never provided backup
power at their schools.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was listening to the AM radio out of Rochester, NY during Hurricane
Katrena. The Rochester, NY fire department had a boat to send, to help out.
Aparently, FEMA heard of this, and called them to tell them not to come.

I've heard plenty of other moments when FEMA prevented rescuers from
rescuing. I suspect they are the "Department of NO".

Put a team of engineers in charge of FEMA, not horse show
organizers. Personally, I would have regional warehouses under contract
with suppliers of critical materials. They would have to maintain
minimum levels of supplies, but they would sell the oldest inventory to
their customers, and new inventory would replace the FEMA stock. They
would be liable for any losses, and the sites physically inspected every
three months. For instance: A one year supply of wood power poles in
hurricane & tornado areas that the first truck can be loaded & on their
way in a under an hour. Enough spare aerial power cable, splicing
hardware, insulators & fuses to completely rebuild a medium size town.

Instead of RV type temporary housing, use converted 20' shipping
containers that can be stacked & stored if not needed. Use Federal
prison labor to do the conversions. They could be stored on military
bases, so they wouldn't have to pay rent to park trailers. There are
thousands of obvious ways to reduce response time, and costs, yet
provide what people need. Why truck ice cross country, when they could
pull a portable ice plant into an area, and make it on site? Tow a
generator behind a fuel truck to power it, if no local power is
available.

Require all new gas stations to have a transfer switch, whether they
have a generator, or not. That way a portable can be brought in to
access the tanks without rewiring the place for temporary power. KRW
was whining about making sure every station along a highway had full
tanks. A lot of them around here did, but couldn't pump it because
their electric was out. The county used a portable generator to get the
fuel for the horde of bucket trucks that were replacing poles, and
restringing damaged wire. The stations were paid with an agreement to
replace it with fresh gasoline as soon as it was available. This was
done, because FEMA wouldn't let any tankers of gasoline to cross the
state border.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

The Damn Yankees are the ones who are casually driving, and wondering what's
the big problem anyway?

That would be a VERY stupid and truly Damned Yankee.

The smart ones will be off the road as soon as possible. I got
caught in one near Cincinnati in the '70s. They were advising you to
find a motel, and get off the road but they were all full, and the
parking lots were blocked by snow, so I had to get all the way home. A
30 mile drive that took over seven hours and used a full tank of gas.
It was a good thing that I had filled up my truck on the way to work
that day. You could see less than 1/10 mile, yet some idiots driving 18
wheelers were hauling ass and blowing cars & small trucks off I-75. One
flew past me and my truck spun two full turns and almost rolled
sideways.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 14:12:05 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

KRW
was whining about making sure every station along a highway had full
tanks.

You need to check your reading comprehension, Michael. I said nothing of the
kind.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 14:18:29 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

The Damn Yankees are the ones who are casually driving, and wondering what's
the big problem anyway?

That would be a VERY stupid and truly Damned Yankee.

Driving in inclement weather when there are Rebs on the road? you betcha!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message . ..

I've not been near a school in a while.

Part of his probation agreement, probably...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
My state implemented a rule (not sure if it's a law) that as soon as
a hurricane watch is called, all gas stations along designated
evacuation routes must arrange to top off (to at least 60%) their
storage tanks.

Except in the numerous but small flood-prone areas we evacuate to our
basements. I suppose that's not a common option in the South. You can
live a lot longer on whatever is in your house than what's in your
car.

Oh?

I routinely carry a short-barreled 20-Gauge shotgun and a pistol in my
truck. In the event of SHingTF, more armament and ammunition won't take up
much room.

Usually, he who can put the most metal in the air, wins.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote in
:

news:9PidnacBMupecYPNnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@earthlink. com...

If they can afford it. The kids were in school, since it was
winter. How do the parents take off and not cause the kids to
fail, and be held back a year? How were they to know it would be
six weeks?

It the power in the entire area is out, there won't be any school.

^^

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left.
That's different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school
without a large power plant in over 25 years.

That depends on where you are. Some areas have never provided backup
power at their schools.

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a backup
generator and fuel supply?
maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

If power goes out,they just send the kids home.
that's what happened to me back in the 1960's,in junior high.

OTOH,I went past a local Publix supermarket that had a semi-truck/trailer
portable generator supplying power while repairs were being made to
something.
It seems there's a private company here in Orlando that offers that
service. I imagine FEMA and local state emergency departments have similar
systems.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

When I'm elected POTUS, I'm making you my FEMA director.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default schools / churches backup power

Someone else mentioned they might need the school as a public shelter.
Which makes sense.

The one time there was a daytime power cut, during church services, they
cancelled and sent everyone home. We had a baptism scheduled that evening.
But, only cold water with the power out. That got delayed.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a backup
generator and fuel supply?
maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

If power goes out,they just send the kids home.
that's what happened to me back in the 1960's,in junior high.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Jim Yanik wrote:

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a backup
generator and fuel supply?
maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

Like I said in another message, FLORIDA'S newer schools are built as
hurricane shelters. Local residents have first choice at staying in
one, while travelers have to take their chances. If someone gets stuck
somewhere in a motor home because they can't find fuel, chances are that
there will be no place to stay.

The school closest to me has had to use theirs several times when the
feed to the school was damaged. They can't afford the liability to send
them to empty homes. So, they might as well run the generator and keep
teaching even if the air conditioning isn't working.

If power goes out,they just send the kids home.
that's what happened to me back in the 1960's,in junior high.

That was 50 years ago, when the buildings were designed for high
humidity, and sitting empty all summer. hell, your local news was
talking about portable buildings at one Orlando school spending $50,000
a month to air condition them, until they could be moved. If they
aren't air conditioned, they will develop black mold. The ceiling tiles
will buckle, and the wood trim will warp.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message . ..

I've not been near a school in a while.

Part of his probation agreement, probably...

Ouch! Lol....
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

I didn't see an air conditioned classroom until I attended college. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Jim Yanik wrote:

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a backup
generator and fuel supply?
maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

Kind of hard to use a school as an emergency shelter without power.

If power goes out,they just send the kids home.
that's what happened to me back in the 1960's,in junior high.

OTOH,I went past a local Publix supermarket that had a semi-truck/trailer
portable generator supplying power while repairs were being made to
something.
It seems there's a private company here in Orlando that offers that
service. I imagine FEMA and local state emergency departments have similar
systems.

Some states do have those resources, BUT try to get them when you need
them.
As for FEMA they can kiss my a$$. I have yet to see a single thing they
have been involved in that actually works as planned.
Plus they have some really STUPID ideas about how to handle real
emergencies.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

My high school's newest addition was finished in the mid '60s when
A/C wasn't common. There is a chat room for that school, and some of
the crybabies were whining about 80 degree classrooms when the A/C
failed. I gave links and described the conditions after that tornado
hit the same building, and that we didn't even have lights, let alone
A/C. What was my Jr. High school is now an elementary school, and is
surrounded by air conditioning equipment that it didn't have in the
'60s.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

Back in the 50's at The Catholic Parochial Gulag, I can remember sitting
in the classroom of Sister Godzilla and looking at the
high ceilings and transom windows into the hallway and the big
steel swing out windows that let a breeze blow through in hot
weather, if we were lucky. There were also the hissing radiators
for heat in the winter months. Hanging from the ceiling were the
standard milk white glass globes housing those big 150 watt clear
light bulbs. My encounter with air conditioning was when the whole
school was bussed to see a movie in an air conditioned movie theater.
Funny the things you remember. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Back in the 50's at The Catholic Parochial Gulag, I can remember sitting
in the classroom of Sister Godzilla and looking at the
high ceilings and transom windows into the hallway and the big
steel swing out windows that let a breeze blow through in hot
weather, if we were lucky. There were also the hissing radiators
for heat in the winter months. Hanging from the ceiling were the
standard milk white glass globes housing those big 150 watt clear
light bulbs. My encounter with air conditioning was when the whole
school was bussed to see a movie in an air conditioned movie theater.
Funny the things you remember. ^_^

One of the schools I went to was built in the late 1800s, had a bad
fire during W.W. I and was pieced back together with available
materials. Some of the floors were still in bad shape in the '60s. It
had the same high ceilings & lights, that had replaced the kerosene
lights. All the wiring was in EMT, run over the concrete walls with
handy boxes mounted on the walls where they were easy to run into. This
was a public school, one of the oldest in the county. Like most of the
older schools, it had a new wing added in the late '50s or early '60s,
still before A/C was common.

That school still had an Operadio intercom system, which later became
Dukane. Operadio was pained black wrinkle, while Dukane used NEMA gray
smooth enamel. Both used the same model & part numbers. Big, bulky
steel racks with lots of single pair shielded cable. The early,
unjacketed stuff that would rip the skin off your hands and stiff as a
board because of the cloth insulation on the inner conductors.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 07/08/12 09:34, Jim Yanik wrote:

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a backup
generator and fuel supply?

Cover, rooms, comms facilities and similar stuff.

maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

More the stove and oter cooking ppliances for catering for displaced
persons.

most schools have that combination of available space both indoor and
outdoor for co-ordinating and providng rescue and recovery services to
compliment the emergency services depts.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

And tubes, lots of tubes. Don't you just love that old stuff? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Some years ago I came up with an idea for NDC, National Disaster Corps.
Young people who didn't care for the military could join The NDC and
get the same sort of benefits for serving the country armed not with a
gun but a shovel and a hard hat. Like The Peace Corps but with heavy
equipment. The corps could be organized like the military and even work
with the military for transportation and basing. Heck, there are empty
bases all over the place they could work out of. I would imagine that
The NDC would be more welcome in certain parts of the world than the
military in times of disaster. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I made my living off it for several decades. A 6GH8A retailed for
$3.95 through most of the '70s. I bought them by the box of 100 for 39
cents each, on sale. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Some years ago I came up with an idea for NDC, National Disaster Corps.
Young people who didn't care for the military could join The NDC and
get the same sort of benefits for serving the country armed not with a
gun but a shovel and a hard hat. Like The Peace Corps but with heavy
equipment. The corps could be organized like the military and even work
with the military for transportation and basing. Heck, there are empty
bases all over the place they could work out of. I would imagine that
The NDC would be more welcome in certain parts of the world than the
military in times of disaster. ^_^

Combine that with the old CCC & WPA and you might have something.
They would have enough work to stay busy, while they learned the needed
skills to help in emergencies.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas on Mon, 06 Aug
2012 23:17:20 -0500 typed in alt.survival the following:

Some years ago I came up with an idea for NDC, National Disaster Corps.
Young people who didn't care for the military could join The NDC and
get the same sort of benefits for serving the country armed not with a
gun but a shovel and a hard hat. Like The Peace Corps but with heavy
equipment. The corps could be organized like the military and even work
with the military for transportation and basing. Heck, there are empty
bases all over the place they could work out of. I would imagine that
The NDC would be more welcome in certain parts of the world than the
military in times of disaster. ^_^

We called them Labor Battalions in the old country. Actually, it
was called Reichsarbeitsdienst - Imperial Labor Service. In the US it
was the Civilian Conservation Corps, back in the New Deal. In both
cases, if not run by the Army, along the Army lines.
In theory, wasn't Ameri-Corps suppose to do something like this?
--
pyotr filipivich
Most journalists these days couldn't investigate a missing chocolate cake
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I wonder about availability now, perhaps Russian or Chinese suppliers? O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

[...]

I don't know, I simply thought about all the disasters that seem to be
going on around the country and the world, perhaps young folks and even
folks who would like to serve the country but can't serve in the armed
forces because of some disability could do something like administrative
work in the NDC. Even retired folks could join up and train the
youngsters in the areas they know. Think of it as an army that puts
things back together instead of blowing things up. ^_^

TDD

ETQ generators? zxcvbob Home Repair 7 December 30th 10 04:31 AM
Honda generators zxcvbob Home Repair 102 December 21st 08 06:28 PM
O/T generators Andy R UK diy 31 March 23rd 06 02:25 PM
Do I NEED two Honda EU2000i generators to back-up my house? dean Home Repair 11 October 19th 05 02:02 PM
OT - Generators Dan Metalworking 9 September 14th 05 06:12 PM