Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default Keep the subject line consistent

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 08:02:38 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

So, you go to the book store. You buy a book which is entitled "Tom Swift,
and the Space Machine". You go home and open the book, which turns out to be
the manual for M-1 Garand rifles. You OK with that?

Love the way you can make the same point in the same forum, just one
minute after the last time you made it. Alzheimer's seems to be
catching up with you.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default Fine, try GUN CONTROL

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

No reason to make better weapons available, though.

What makes you thing the gangbangers aren't well armed already?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Will you bet your life on something that stupid?

It's no stupider a bet than thinking outlawing classes of firearms, imposing
registrations, and so forth is going to make anybody any safer. The
toothpaste is already out of the tube.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mormin backup power

On 08/07/2012 12:14 PM, misanthrope wrote:
On 8/7/2012 6:17 AM, Thomas wrote:

Why the **** do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where
I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

It is only stormin mormon who top posts and changes topic headers. I
think he does it to annoy most posters in a.s group, in spite of the
fact that he has been repeatedly asked politely to stop doing both.

I've been praying to Jesus ( the Mormin one ) for Stormin to stop
top-posting but it's not working. Do I need to send the Mormin Church
some money? Should I call Jim and Tammy Baker instead? Or maybe the
Mormin religion is just a hoax?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:13:38 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 14:54:32 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

How bout for starters, we require annual licensing and training?

Why?

Because it makes the dummy feel good.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default schools backup power

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:18:26 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 11:14:10 -0500, misanthrope
wrote:

On 8/7/2012 6:17 AM, Thomas wrote:

Why the **** do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where
I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

It is only stormin mormon who top posts and changes topic headers. I
think he does it to annoy most posters in a.s group, in spite of the
fact that he has been repeatedly asked politely to stop doing both.

Don't be bashful. He does it for attention. He is an attention whore.

I didn't think Mormans allowed prostitution.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default FEMA blocks the tankers

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
when the roads are that icy...the plows, sanders and salters cant get
out of the yard.

Been there..done that.

No kidding. There were times they had to wait till the ice melted to
get them out of the lot. It's kind of hard to move a snow plow or salt
truck when they are frozen in place.

That is one of the reasons the newer designs have the spreader located
at the front of the box. Lack of traction for the salt truck itself with
a rear spreader. It works but you have to dedicate vehicles to the job,
Not like the slide in units that just hook to the hydraulics on a normal
dump body. The worse item now are the damn calcium spray trucks. That
crap really eats up steel.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"Steve W." wrote:
And most of them already have weapons. Of course they didn't obey the
laws when buying them, and the fact that they are using or pushing drugs
that are also illegal shows their disregard for the law.

No reason to make better weapons available, though.

Guess you haven't noticed that they already have the "better weapons"

When you don't worry about the laws it's VERY easy to get full auto
weapons on the street, and usually much easier in locations with
stricter gun laws. That is because the feel good laws that are in place
lull the masses into thinking that "It can't happen here, the laws
prevent it"

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
It will be perfectly safe, since it's illegal to shoot other people.

Will you bet your life on something that stupid?

Why not, you expect that laws will stop them from getting weapons anyway.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Sigh. SO few working brain cells. I stated that the inventory will
be maintained by companies that supply utilites. All it would do is
make sure that a minimum inventory of critical items be maintained.
They would continue to sell to the utilites, but not be allowed to run
out of emergency repair stock. Since it has to be used on a FIFO basis,
how will they know it's safe to stick crap in the supply lines?

The big problem is who pays for the warehouse, the stock, the people who
run the place, the utilities, the computers needed to keep track of
stock, etc. How many would you need to keep everyone within a certain
radius of a warehouse, etc. etc. You don't just plop a bunch stuff on
the ground after it mysteriously appears.

Some people can't think their way out of a paper bag. Of course it
requires planning and there are expenses involved. It also creates some
permanent jobs.

Your area must be different than mine. There are a number of service
yards scattered around this area with poles, spools transformers and
repair parts for times when there are big problems. National grid has at
least 4 within 25 miles of my place.

--
Steve W.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Steve W. wrote:

The worse item now are the damn calcium spray trucks. That
crap really eats up steel.

The city tried magnesium chloride on winter. I don't think it bothers steel,
but it's hell on alloy wheels.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Steve W." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
when the roads are that icy...the plows, sanders and salters cant get
out of the yard.

Been there..done that.

No kidding. There were times they had to wait till the ice melted to
get them out of the lot. It's kind of hard to move a snow plow or salt
truck when they are frozen in place.

That is one of the reasons the newer designs have the spreader located
at the front of the box. Lack of traction for the salt truck itself with
a rear spreader. It works but you have to dedicate vehicles to the job,
Not like the slide in units that just hook to the hydraulics on a normal
dump body. The worse item now are the damn calcium spray trucks. That
crap really eats up steel.

THey used a road grader to turn snow into pack ice in Alaska in the
'70s. Ice on the road? No problem smooth another layer of snow over it
and compact it.

They were using still 30 & 40 year old trucks in the township I lived
in, in Ohio. Mostly W.W. II surplus. When their stock of salt was
gone, the state had to take care of the highway, while the side roads
were left alone. With all the limestone haulers going down that highway
24/7, ice wasn't that big of a problem.

I've only seen snow twice in Florida in 25 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Steve W." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"Steve W." wrote:
And most of them already have weapons. Of course they didn't obey the
laws when buying them, and the fact that they are using or pushing drugs
that are also illegal shows their disregard for the law.

No reason to make better weapons available, though.

Guess you haven't noticed that they already have the "better weapons"

When you don't worry about the laws it's VERY easy to get full auto
weapons on the street, and usually much easier in locations with
stricter gun laws. That is because the feel good laws that are in place
lull the masses into thinking that "It can't happen here, the laws
prevent it"

Preach to someone else. I know how damn weak the laws are, after
decades of liberal dumbasses in charge.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Steve W." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
It will be perfectly safe, since it's illegal to shoot other people.

Will you bet your life on something that stupid?

Why not, you expect that laws will stop them from getting weapons anyway.

Are you always that stupid? You sure seem to be.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Steve W." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[...]

Do they have an extra 3000 poles on hand? 15,000 fuses? 2500
transformers? An extra 1000 bucket trucks? We had crews here from all
over the country to rebuild distribution, primary & secondary lines The
existing inventory was gone in days, and the work took months. This
area was hit with one hurricane after another. Some damaged poles
weren't replaced for over four years, due to the money spent on
emergency repairs, and the depleted stock of new poles nation wide.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[...]

Ask Walmart to help setup the logistics of the supply lines. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I made my living off it for several decades. A 6GH8A retailed for
$3.95 through most of the '70s. I bought them by the box of 100 for 39
cents each, on sale. ;-)

I wonder about availability now, perhaps Russian or Chinese suppliers? O_o

NOS tubes are readily available. It looks like I have 20 NOS 6GH8A
left in my stash: http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Eptub.html

Visit news:rec.antiques.radio+phono if you need old parts. Lots of
tube radio collectors can point you to what you need. There is a Yahoo
antique radio group, as well.

Man, I don't remember the last time I worked on anything that had tubes
in except for CRT's. O_o

I have a National NC183R rack mount receiver waiting for repair on my
workbench,, along with a Telectro built TS-382F/U Audio Generator that
are both older than me. Want real fun? To keep the TS-382F/U looking
as original as possible, I remove the oil filled bathtub capacitors,
unsolder the lids, and put new caps inside. Solder the lid back on, and
put them back in. It is a military version of HP's original 200 series
audio generator.

The craftsmanship built into a lot of the old gear would be hard to
duplicate today with the corporate pencil pushers involved but IC
chips and surface mount components of commercial and military grade
quality and construction makes for some very reliable gear. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/7/2012 1:05 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 09:24:04 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 08:33:58 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I made my living off it for several decades. A 6GH8A retailed for
$3.95 through most of the '70s. I bought them by the box of 100 for 39
cents each, on sale. ;-)

I wonder about availability now, perhaps Russian or Chinese suppliers? O_o

NOS tubes are readily available. It looks like I have 20 NOS 6GH8A
left in my stash: http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Eptub.html

Link Saved for a rainy day with a bad tube!!!

Crawl the site for other electronics parts.

Cool!

If you ever have the need..Ive got a ****load...many gigs of electronic
equipment manuals in ebook formats. DVD(s) full. If you want
any/all..let me know. I can copy them over to a hard drive and send you
the drive. Got lots of smaller drives so I can load one up for you and
mail it to you. Several dozen Tektronix manuals (or more) etc etc etc

And of course I have many many gigs of scifi, mil fiction, etc etc

Gunner

Would you call yourself a Giga-Geek? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote:

How bout for starters, we require annual licensing and training?

Why?

So the government of his choice can control you. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

We'd be a lot safer, if the common man were also armed. The criminals seem
to be armed, regardless of any laws.

How about if we require all adults to be armed, and just make it illegal to
shoot other people?

Free AK47s & ammo for gang bangers? Armed dopeheads? people with a
violent history too? No thanks. There is a segment of any population
that can't safely handle any weapon.

Hell, require gang members to go to police target ranges and receive
marksmanship training so they won't hit innocent bystanders when they
decide to shoot each other. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Gunner Asch on Tue, 07 Aug 2012 15:38:27 -0700
typed in alt.survival the following:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 18:24:48 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.44...

I guess some folks have never heard of combat engineers,like the
SEABEEs.
I recall the Indiana blizzard of 78 where the National Guard used
their M-
60 tanks to pull semi-trucks out of ditches on I-65,after they had
jacknifed on ice and unplowed snow. The tanks were the only vehicles
available that had the traction on the ice,the normal wreckers with
tires
couldn't do it. IIRC,an M-60 weighs over 50 tons.

Jim Yanik

Tanks!?

I guess some folks have never heard of plowing, sanding and salting
icy roads.

jsw

when the roads are that icy...the plows, sanders and salters cant get
out of the yard.

Been there..done that.

Tanks sliding snow and ice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au-RkJdwXsA

Tracks will do that, too.

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
Most journalists these days couldn't investigate a missing chocolate cake
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 07 Aug 2012
08:40:24 -0400 typed in alt.survival the following:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Might help with the economic depression, too?

Real jobs are better than welfare, any day.

I want the benefits of extended employment. Not extended
unemployment benefits.

--
pyotr filipivich
Most journalists these days couldn't investigate a missing chocolate cake
at a pre-school without a Democrat office holder telling them what to look for,
where, and why it is Geroge Bush's fault.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 16:04:43 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I've heard plenty of other moments when FEMA prevented rescuers from
rescuing. I suspect they are the "Department of NO".

The recent Shingles Creek fire in Utah consumed nearly 10,000 acres.
Authorities said that it could have been much less than that if the
bulldozers could have worked more on the first day. It was estimated that
the fire would have burned only 1,000 acres. But, they had a federal
guideline, and had to stop at 4 or 5 PM, according to the rules. By the
next day, the fire was full on.

Steve

Was it Reagan that said, "The nine most terrifying words in the
English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
Cheers,
John B.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message ...

I want the benefits of extended employment. Not extended
unemployment benefits.

Those days are over. Most employment has been offshored.

Look for the "Hecho en China" label at your local McLowes Depot or ChinaMart.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 08/08/12 16:27, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Ask Walmart to help setup the logistics of the supply lines. ^_^

walmart would be useless. they only carry items that aell and do not
keep items that don't sell. It is also likely that they actually have no
stock on hand at all, but that it comes vrom the manufacturer on a JIT
basis.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Might help with the economic depression, too?

Real jobs are better than welfare, any day.

I want the benefits of extended employment. Not extended
unemployment benefits.

I've never drawn unemployment.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The craftsmanship built into a lot of the old gear would be hard to
duplicate today with the corporate pencil pushers involved but IC
chips and surface mount components of commercial and military grade
quality and construction makes for some very reliable gear. ^_^

My hobby was restoring old test equipment, and the occasional high
end radio. My last job was building $80,000 telemetry receivers.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Hell, require gang members to go to police target ranges and receive
marksmanship training so they won't hit innocent bystanders when they
decide to shoot each other. ^_^

Or just give them cheap guns that explode, and kill the user?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival
jim jim is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:

The difference is that I can choose not to shop at Walmart. I can't choose
not to pay US and state taxes.

Sure you can.

Simply live frugally and barter for goods and
services and you can legitimately avoid taxes.
Its pretty much just as easy as avoiding Walmart and
the other corporate venues.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote the following on 8/7/2012 7:55 AM (ET):
Now, that makes good sense. You'd need some kind of recognizable clothing,
and some kind of structure. And, it sure could work. Sadly, I have been
wondering if FEMA is designed to prevent aid from reaching disasters.

I've been part of a relief effort. They handed out yellow vests that said
"Mormon Helping Hands".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Some years ago I came up with an idea for NDC, National Disaster Corps.
Young people who didn't care for the military could join The NDC and
get the same sort of benefits for serving the country armed not with a
gun but a shovel and a hard hat. Like The Peace Corps but with heavy
equipment. The corps could be organized like the military and even work
with the military for transportation and basing. Heck, there are empty
bases all over the place they could work out of. I would imagine that
The NDC would be more welcome in certain parts of the world than the
military in times of disaster. ^_^

TDD

The labor unions would violently oppose any type of construction that
wasn't unionized.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote:

How bout for starters, we require annual licensing and training?

Why?

Better accounting and hopefully more responsibility.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote:

How bout for starters, we require annual licensing and training?

Why?

Because it makes the dummy feel good.

Ok, then let everyone have AK-47s, etc... with no qualifications and
can be bought with credit cards or food stamps. I bet you'd love for
me to say something along that line. I don't think so.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote:

How bout for starters, we require annual licensing and training?

Why?

So the government of his choice can control you. ^_^

TDD

You think they never did? Do you volunteer to pay taxes?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival
jim jim is offline

"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article , cayoung61
says...

Might help with the economic depression, too?

Not necessarily. The New Deal worked mostly because while just about
everybody in the country was broke, the government was solvent. This
time the government's as broke as the rest of us.

Not true. The ratio of federal govt debt to
private debt was the same in 2008 as it was
at the beginning of the great depression.

http://static.seekingalpha.com/uploa...hael-Clark.png
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

I can easily imagine they would display bad manners like that.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"willshak" wrote in message

The labor unions would violently oppose any type of construction that
wasn't unionized.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 06:40:38 -0500, jim wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

The difference is that I can choose not to shop at Walmart. I can't choose
not to pay US and state taxes.

Sure you can.

Simply live frugally and barter for goods and
services and you can legitimately avoid taxes.

Wrong. You still owe taxes on barter.

Its pretty much just as easy as avoiding Walmart and
the other corporate venues.

Utter nonsense.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 06:05:35 -0400, "Hecho en China" wrote:

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message ...

I want the benefits of extended employment. Not extended
unemployment benefits.

Those days are over. Most employment has been offshored.

Wrong, of course.

Look for the "Hecho en China" label at your local McLowes Depot or ChinaMart.

Moron.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 01:27:02 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[...]

Amazon, or Grainger.

ETQ generators? zxcvbob Home Repair 7 December 30th 10 04:31 AM
Honda generators zxcvbob Home Repair 102 December 21st 08 06:28 PM
O/T generators Andy R UK diy 31 March 23rd 06 02:25 PM
Do I NEED two Honda EU2000i generators to back-up my house? dean Home Repair 11 October 19th 05 02:02 PM
OT - Generators Dan Metalworking 9 September 14th 05 06:12 PM