Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default schools backup power

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I made my living off it for several decades. A 6GH8A retailed for
$3.95 through most of the '70s. I bought them by the box of 100 for 39
cents each, on sale. ;-)

I wonder about availability now, perhaps Russian or Chinese suppliers? O_o

NOS tubes are readily available. It looks like I have 20 NOS 6GH8A
left in my stash: http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Eptub.html

Visit news:rec.antiques.radio+phono if you need old parts. Lots of
tube radio collectors can point you to what you need. There is a Yahoo
antique radio group, as well.

Man, I don't remember the last time I worked on anything that had tubes
in except for CRT's. O_o

I have a National NC183R rack mount receiver waiting for repair on my
workbench,, along with a Telectro built TS-382F/U Audio Generator that
are both older than me. Want real fun? To keep the TS-382F/U looking
as original as possible, I remove the oil filled bathtub capacitors,
unsolder the lids, and put new caps inside. Solder the lid back on, and
put them back in. It is a military version of HP's original 200 series
audio generator.

The craftsmanship built into a lot of the old gear would be hard to
duplicate today with the corporate pencil pushers involved but IC
chips and surface mount components of commercial and military grade
quality and construction makes for some very reliable gear. ^_^

TDD