Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Honda Generators

On 08/03/2012 05:33 PM, Stormin Mormon top-posted:
With idiot proof interlocks, to prevent back feeding up the main wire, and
killing workers?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Snag" wrote in message

Mine's out in the shed , which has it's own breaker box with the means to
back-feed the house . I just need to pipe the exhaust outside when I fire it
up .

Backfeeding is illegal here and the local AHD and the POCO are cracking
down on it. If they catch you backfeeding, they disconnect at the
transformer and will not restore service until an electrical inspection
is passed. Basic electrical inspections are $250 and the utility charges
an additional $75 reconnect fee. I suspect the electrical inspector
could flag any other violations he finds so repair costs could escalate.

Seems to me it would be cheaper (and safer) to put in a proper interlock
kit...but that's just me. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
How do you connect it to your Honda generator?
Christopher A. Young

What Honda generator? I wrote that I salvage old Colemans.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel,
say,
in Mickey
World, for a week.

Does your butler dress you?

Butlers do not dress. That is the job of the batman.

The below-stairs folk get mightily upset when another servant
presumes to do their job.

So what is does a "dogsbody" do?

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 13:37:35 -0400, "Steve W." wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 11:05:20 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

wrote in message
Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel, say,
in Mickey
World, for a week.
Does your butler dress you?
Do you live that close to the edge that you couldn't stay in a hotel for a
week? I sure as hell don't. I suppose there are many who live EBT payment to
EBT payment.

The last BIG ice storm that hit in NY kept power out for a long time up
north. It also blocked all the roads with downed trees and heavy ice.

Roads are blocked for a few days, at most. You can't last a few days without
washing your shorts?

Try closer to two weeks in many places. With power out for over 3 weeks
in some spots.

Staying in a hotel wouldn't have been an option because only a very few
still had power and most didn't have water or power. Plus with the roads
closed and blocked the way they were you couldn't have gotten out of the
area anyway.

The issue isn't an emergency generator. I'm with you there. The issue is
about stupid clothes lines for an emergency and the holier than thou crap from
the moron who thinks he's better than all his neighbors because he knows how
to use one. giggle

We use clothes lines and indoor racks as a general rule. Cheaper and
less damaging to the clothes.
Back-up power for everything as well.

Walking was very dangerous simply because everything was coated with
2-4" of ice.

2-4" of ice is a stretching things a bit, unless you're talking about ice
fishing.

Nope. 2-4" was the normal amount for the storm. Places it was even worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A..._Storm_of_1998

You can still see remnants of the storm on Google maps if you look,
large areas where the largest trees now are only a few years old.

Sure. As I've said, BTDT. ...but a clothes line as an important part of
emergency preparedness. Get real.

My hurricane plane is to get in the car and drive, *BEFORE* it hits. ...and
I'm not anywhere near the coast.

I don't have that option.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Steve W." wrote in message
Try closer to two weeks in many places. With power out for over 3
weeks in some spots....
Nope. 2-4" was the normal amount for the storm. Places it was even
worse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A..._Storm_of_1998

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Halloween_nor'easter
See "Halloween" for how people just dealt with it.

"Customers still suffering outages, including actress Mia Farrow at
her home in Bridgewater, continued to cope as best they could, by
sleeping at the homes of friends who had already had their electricity
restored, taking showers at work and storing perishable foods
outside."

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/4/2012 2:36 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel,
say,
in Mickey
World, for a week.

Does your butler dress you?

Butlers do not dress. That is the job of the batman.

The below-stairs folk get mightily upset when another servant
presumes to do their job.

So what is does a "dogsbody" do?

jsw

Same thing as a grunt or a gofer.
All the tedious, dirty, or labor intensive tasks that no else wants to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The subject line is Honda Generators. If the conversation changes, the
subject line should change, also. I've demonstrated that, in the past.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
How do you connect it to your Honda generator?
Christopher A. Young

What Honda generator? I wrote that I salvage old Colemans.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Like changing the oil on the Honda generator?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"David J. Hughes" wrote in message

Same thing as a grunt or a gofer.
All the tedious, dirty, or labor intensive tasks that no else wants to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message
Try closer to two weeks in many places. With power out for over 3
weeks in some spots....
Nope. 2-4" was the normal amount for the storm. Places it was even
worse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A..._Storm_of_1998

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Halloween_nor'easter
See "Halloween" for how people just dealt with it.

"Customers still suffering outages, including actress Mia Farrow at
her home in Bridgewater, continued to cope as best they could, by
sleeping at the homes of friends who had already had their electricity
restored, taking showers at work and storing perishable foods
outside."

I know all about it. I live in central N.Y.
Being a FF/EMT I get to play a lot when things like that happen. For me
it's usually, make sure my power is up and running, hit the station for
the same then start clearing snow so we can get in/out of the station.
Then visit shut-ins and check on elderly and special needs people. Then
it's wait for the normal stuff.

For folks who might want to help.
http://fireinyou.org/

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/4/2012 3:44 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

wrote:

wrote in message
Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel,
say,
in Mickey
World, for a week.

Does your butler dress you?

Do you live that close to the edge that you couldn't stay in a hotel
for a
week? I sure as hell don't. I suppose there are many who live EBT
payment to
EBT payment.

In an ice storm or hurricane power outage the nearby hotels that have
power are packed with families who need them far more than I do, with
the overflow in temporary shelters in schools. Necessities sell out
quickly and service/repair people are booked solid for months. Many
roads including mine stay blocked until the utility crews remove the
wires so the fallen trees can be cut up safely.

The difference from Katrina is that we in New England expect to take
care of ourselves and ask FEMA to write checks later. Twice I've spent
the week clearing fallen trees with my chainsaw, then patching the
holes in the roof before the next storm.

Mississipi and Georgia were hit as hard or harder than Lousiana by
Katrina..and they simply got stuff done.

Gunner

--

The Chocolate City had a melt down. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 14:02:41 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 13:22:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Who said "nearby"?

Are you upset that some people can do what you never learned to?

Hang wash? No, I could never figure that out. (what a moron)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 14:08:56 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
...The issue is
about stupid clothes lines for an emergency and the holier than thou
crap from
the moron who thinks he's better than all his neighbors because he
knows how
to use one. giggle

Militant Ignorance on display.

You really are good at it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 13:38:04 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

Sure. As I've said, BTDT. ...but a clothes line as an important
part of emergency preparedness. Get real.

My hurricane plane is to get in the car and drive, *BEFORE* it hits.
...and I'm not anywhere near the coast.

Hang in there. Someday you'll say "Dang-nabbit, I'm gonna stay put this
time..." and discover the joys of drinking beer during the storm and betting
with your neighbors just how high a metal trashcan, moving at 70 mph, can
fly.

I don't drink anymore. It left a lot more money for the get-outta-town fund.
;-)

From the combined experience of several who've tried it, experiencing a
hurricane on a traffic-blocked Interstate is only minimal fun.

They just left too late. Gotta beat the rush and get good seats.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote in message
Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel, say,
in Mickey
World, for a week.
Does your butler dress you?
Do you live that close to the edge that you couldn't stay in a hotel for a
week? I sure as hell don't. I suppose there are many who live EBT payment to
EBT payment.
The last BIG ice storm that hit in NY kept power out for a long time up
north. It also blocked all the roads with downed trees and heavy ice.

Roads are blocked for a few days, at most. You can't last a few days without
washing your shorts?

Try closer to two weeks in many places. With power out for over 3 weeks
in some spots.

Roads blocked for weeks because of an ice storm? Nonsense. Outlying areas
without power, sure. Ever hear of a laundromat? ;-)

Staying in a hotel wouldn't have been an option because only a very few
still had power and most didn't have water or power. Plus with the roads
closed and blocked the way they were you couldn't have gotten out of the
area anyway.

The issue isn't an emergency generator. I'm with you there. The issue is
about stupid clothes lines for an emergency and the holier than thou crap from
the moron who thinks he's better than all his neighbors because he knows how
to use one. giggle

We use clothes lines and indoor racks as a general rule. Cheaper and
less damaging to the clothes.

Well, I'm not a metrosexual (or...) so my wardrobe is pretty cheap. It gets
turned over every couple of years and I almost always ruin them before they
wear out. Good enough.

Back-up power for everything as well.

I can understand that if you live in the third world, like New England. I've
only once been without power for more than 12 hours (three days), so it's not
a good place to allocate money. As I said in an earlier post, if I'd been a
week without power, it wouldn't happen a third time.

Walking was very dangerous simply because everything was coated with
2-4" of ice.

2-4" of ice is a stretching things a bit, unless you're talking about ice
fishing.

Nope. 2-4" was the normal amount for the storm. Places it was even worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A..._Storm_of_1998

I lived on the edge of that and it was a mess but it certainly didn't last a
week.

You can still see remnants of the storm on Google maps if you look,
large areas where the largest trees now are only a few years old.

Sure. As I've said, BTDT. ...but a clothes line as an important part of
emergency preparedness. Get real.

My hurricane plane is to get in the car and drive, *BEFORE* it hits. ...and
I'm not anywhere near the coast.

I don't have that option.

Why?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"HeyBub" wrote in message
The below-stairs folk get mightily upset when another servant
presumes to do their job.

So what is does a "dogsbody" do?
jsw

Same thing as a grunt or a gofer.
All the tedious, dirty, or labor intensive tasks that no else wants
to do.

Thanks. It was the assigned radio callsign of Group Captain Sir
Douglas Bader, CBE, DSO, DFC, FRAeS, DL, AM&FM

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
. ..
The subject line is Honda Generators. If the conversation changes,
the
subject line should change, also. I've demonstrated that, in the
past.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message
.. .
How do you connect it to your Honda generator?
Christopher A. Young

What Honda generator? I wrote that I salvage old Colemans.

sigh And you had to top-post to tell me.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Jim Wilkins" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote

The subject line is Honda Generators. If the conversation changes,
the subject line should change, also. I've demonstrated that, in
the past.
Christopher A. Young

This poor fool thinks he owns threads. Yes, Stormin' you have
"demonstrated" that thousands of times by breaking half the threads in
the group into incomprehensible pieces.

sigh And you had to top-post to tell me.

Just one more way the fool uses to screw up anyone being able to
follow any evolving conversation. I honestly think it's just so he
can see his name at the top of lots and lots of threads. In any case,
his social interaction skills are zero so he should be treated as the
village idiot.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Gunner Asch wrote:

Mississipi and Georgia were hit as hard or harder than Lousiana by
Katrina..and they simply got stuff done.

Like Florida. We did fine after the two years of hurricane activity
in this area, until FEBLA showed up. Their contractor destroyed our
private road with a front end loader. Instead of cutting up and loading
the fallen trees, they simply put the bucket down on them and dragged
them down the street, and tore out most of the asphalt. We had already
cut up the trees onto pieces that would fit a dump truck, but the SOBs
were too lazy to do their job properly. They did it right on the public
roads, but not in our subdivision.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote:

Sure. As I've said, BTDT. ...but a clothes line as an important
part of emergency preparedness. Get real.

My hurricane plane is to get in the car and drive, *BEFORE* it hits.
...and I'm not anywhere near the coast.

Hang in there. Someday you'll say "Dang-nabbit, I'm gonna stay put this
time..." and discover the joys of drinking beer during the storm and betting
with your neighbors just how high a metal trashcan, moving at 70 mph, can
fly.

I don't drink anymore. It left a lot more money for the get-outta-town fund.
;-)

From the combined experience of several who've tried it, experiencing a
hurricane on a traffic-blocked Interstate is only minimal fun.

They just left too late. Gotta beat the rush and get good seats.

Then you better leave a week or more before it hits. The biggest
problem is gasoline. A lot of people run out and find that the stations
are waiting on extra deliveries. You have jerks show up with a bunch of
cans or even 55 gallon drums, in spite of being told that they are only
supposed to fill the tanks on their vehicles.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Winston_Smith wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote

The subject line is Honda Generators. If the conversation changes,
the subject line should change, also. I've demonstrated that, in
the past.
Christopher A. Young

This poor fool thinks he owns threads. Yes, Stormin' you have
"demonstrated" that thousands of times by breaking half the threads in
the group into incomprehensible pieces.

What software are you reading the group with? Netscape 4.8 threads
by message IDs, not subject lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Does this relate to Honda generators?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Like Florida. We did fine after the two years of hurricane activity
in this area, until FEBLA showed up. Their contractor destroyed our
private road with a front end loader. Instead of cutting up and loading
the fallen trees, they simply put the bucket down on them and dragged
them down the street, and tore out most of the asphalt. We had already
cut up the trees onto pieces that would fit a dump truck, but the SOBs
were too lazy to do their job properly. They did it right on the public
roads, but not in our subdivision.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

You need a Honda generator.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

He wasn't in Alabama in the early '70s when ice took town the main HV
feed across the state, from a nuclear power plant. Some areas were
without power for six weeks. It was the first heavy snow fall in 20
years, and a lot of power lines weren't built for the temperature so
they were snapping or pulling down poles.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Does this relate to Honda generators?

Do you?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Does this relate to Honda generators?

How do you relate to most threads you post in?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

You need a Honda generator.

I don't need a second generator.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 05/08/12 04:40, homme de la maison wrote:

Backfeeding is illegal here and the local AHD and the POCO are cracking
down on it. If they catch you backfeeding, they disconnect at the
transformer and will not restore service until an electrical inspection
is passed. Basic electrical inspections are $250 and the utility charges
an additional $75 reconnect fee. I suspect the electrical inspector
could flag any other violations he finds so repair costs could escalate.

Yep, you can et they will take this opportunity to improve the wiring in
your pile and those dodgy cheap DIY repairs will be heavily scruitinized.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 21:48:34 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
Winston_Smith wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote

The subject line is Honda Generators. If the conversation changes,
the subject line should change, also. I've demonstrated that, in
the past.
Christopher A. Young

This poor fool thinks he owns threads. Yes, Stormin' you have
"demonstrated" that thousands of times by breaking half the threads in
the group into incomprehensible pieces.

What software are you reading the group with? Netscape 4.8 threads
by message IDs, not subject lines.

Forte Agent 3.3. It works just fine unless our beloved troll goes out
of his way to cause chaos.

Sometimes Stormin' just changes the subject line. That breaks a
thread but the "Reference: " information is still in the headers so
you can trace back for the context without much effort.

Lately, Stormin' likes to cut someone's post and paste it into a new
thread, and then put in his comment, on top. That removes the ref
info from the headers since, to usenet, it IS a new thread.

Now you may ask "why". I won't try to explain what goes on in his
mind. It's part and parcel of what lead him to post a couple snippy
replies in this thread when someone dared to say anything that didn't
have to do, specifically, with Honda brand generators. I bet he won't
let the foods on his plate touch, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 22:04:35 -0400, "Steve W." wrote:

wrote:
My hurricane plane is to get in the car and drive, *BEFORE* it hits. ...and
I'm not anywhere near the coast.
I don't have that option.

Why?

I'm a FF/EMT and am one of the folks who stay around and help the ones
in trouble. Just goes with the job.

That's a good enough reason. ;-) Mind if I keep (far) out of your way?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival,alt.home.repair

"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 4 Aug 2012 13:22:55 -0400
typed in alt.survival the following:
.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

We had a sudden storm blow through the Cascade foothills last
month /end of June. Knocked a lot of trees down. News footage
interviewing a guy right in the middle. "Yep, I work here, and the
power went out, and I could see the tree" [cut to 18-24 inch moderate
sized tree trunk where it was cut off at the road's edge] "so I got
out the chain saw, and me and a couple other guys had the road open in
about a half hour or so." Yep, good ol' boys -not so much that
they're ready for anything, as they haven't gotten everything out of
the truck, yet.

tschus
pyotr

==
pyotr filipivich
"Have the Anarchists ever stopped to consider that if they bring
down the American Government, there will be no one to protect
them from the rednecks?"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival,alt.home.repair

pyotr filipivich wrote:

We had a sudden storm blow through the Cascade foothills last
month /end of June. Knocked a lot of trees down. News footage
interviewing a guy right in the middle. "Yep, I work here, and the
power went out, and I could see the tree" [cut to 18-24 inch moderate
sized tree trunk where it was cut off at the road's edge] "so I got
out the chain saw, and me and a couple other guys had the road open in
about a half hour or so." Yep, good ol' boys -not so much that
they're ready for anything, as they haven't gotten everything out of
the truck, yet.

First things first. The tree was in the way, and they did have a
chainsaw.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"HeyBub" wrote in message
The below-stairs folk get mightily upset when another servant
presumes to do their job.

So what is does a "dogsbody" do?
jsw

Same thing as a grunt or a gofer.
All the tedious, dirty, or labor intensive tasks that no else wants
to do.

Thanks. It was the assigned radio callsign of Group Captain Sir
Douglas Bader, CBE, DSO, DFC, FRAeS, DL, AM&FM

jsw

Douglas Bader, DB, DogsBody. Easy to say, easy to hear, easy to
associate. Not a bad handle.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You need a Honda generator.

Christopher A. Young

You need a tampon.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote:
I'm a FF/EMT and am one of the folks who stay around and help the
ones
in trouble. Just goes with the job.

That's a good enough reason. ;-) Mind if I keep (far) out of your
way?

Keep out of everyone's way.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Ideally, fill your "bunch of cans" when it's calm weather, and the power is
on.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Then you better leave a week or more before it hits. The biggest
problem is gasoline. A lot of people run out and find that the stations
are waiting on extra deliveries. You have jerks show up with a bunch of
cans or even 55 gallon drums, in spite of being told that they are only
supposed to fill the tanks on their vehicles.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

That combination of cold and no power, would make you wish you had a Honda
generator.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

ETQ generators? zxcvbob Home Repair 7 December 30th 10 04:31 AM
Honda generators zxcvbob Home Repair 102 December 21st 08 06:28 PM
O/T generators Andy R UK diy 31 March 23rd 06 02:25 PM
Do I NEED two Honda EU2000i generators to back-up my house? dean Home Repair 11 October 19th 05 02:02 PM
OT - Generators Dan Metalworking 9 September 14th 05 06:12 PM