Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default FEMA blocks the tankers

The Daring Dufas on Tue, 07 Aug
2012 01:56:19 -0500 typed in alt.survival the following:
The Daring Dufas on Mon, 06 Aug
2012 23:17:20 -0500 typed in alt.survival the following:

Some years ago I came up with an idea for NDC, National Disaster Corps.
Young people who didn't care for the military could join The NDC and
get the same sort of benefits for serving the country armed not with a
gun but a shovel and a hard hat. Like The Peace Corps but with heavy
equipment. The corps could be organized like the military and even work
with the military for transportation and basing. Heck, there are empty
bases all over the place they could work out of. I would imagine that
The NDC would be more welcome in certain parts of the world than the
military in times of disaster. ^_^

We called them Labor Battalions in the old country. Actually, it
was called Reichsarbeitsdienst - Imperial Labor Service. In the US it
was the Civilian Conservation Corps, back in the New Deal. In both
cases, if not run by the Army, along the Army lines.
In theory, wasn't Ameri-Corps suppose to do something like this?
--

I don't know, I simply thought about all the disasters that seem to be
going on around the country and the world, perhaps young folks and even

Good idea. I think there would need to be some serious shifting
of paradigms first. But it is now almost three enthroning. I'm
zonked.

TDD

--
pyotr filipivich
Most journalists these days couldn't investigate a missing chocolate cake
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
... I don't know, I simply thought about all the disasters that
seem to be going on around the country ...

TDD

What would they do that contractors with heavy equipment couldn't do
better and faster? There isn't much call for axe or shovel work any
more, and inexperienced amateur administrators would be worse than
FEMA.

What does the National Guard do when they are called out? I haven't
seen them at work because the local administration has always been
adequate. The dump trucks and bucket loaders needed to clear snow can
handle most other infrastructure damage too.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default schools backup power

Why the **** do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where
I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Now, that makes good sense. You'd need some kind of recognizable clothing,
and some kind of structure. And, it sure could work. Sadly, I have been
wondering if FEMA is designed to prevent aid from reaching disasters.

I've been part of a relief effort. They handed out yellow vests that said
"Mormon Helping Hands".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Some years ago I came up with an idea for NDC, National Disaster Corps.
Young people who didn't care for the military could join The NDC and
get the same sort of benefits for serving the country armed not with a
gun but a shovel and a hard hat. Like The Peace Corps but with heavy
equipment. The corps could be organized like the military and even work
with the military for transportation and basing. Heck, there are empty
bases all over the place they could work out of. I would imagine that
The NDC would be more welcome in certain parts of the world than the
military in times of disaster. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Might help with the economic depression, too?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Combine that with the old CCC & WPA and you might have something.
They would have enough work to stay busy, while they learned the needed
skills to help in emergencies.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

I think you're right. One more evidence, of the Oh Bomb Us admin lack of
real efforts to relieve the depression.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news
In theory, wasn't Ameri-Corps suppose to do something like this?
--
pyotr filipivich
Most journalists these days couldn't investigate a missing chocolate cake
at a pre-school without a Democrat office holder telling them what to look
for,
where, and why it is Geroge Bush's fault.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/6/2012 6:34 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote in
:

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 07:16:20 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

In PRNY, I've seen zero schools with backup generators. But, then,
I've not been near a school in a while.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

If they can afford it. The kids were in school, since it was
winter. How do the parents take off and not cause the kids to
fail, and be held back a year? How were they to know it would be
six weeks?

It the power in the entire area is out, there won't be any school.

^^

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left.
That's different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school
without a large power plant in over 25 years.

That depends on where you are. Some areas have never provided backup
power at their schools.

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a backup
generator and fuel supply?
maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

The kids can go without math, science, english, all that academic foo
foo rah, but you need lights for the football field, and hot showers for
after games and workouts.

Sadly, I know a number of people who seem to have this attitude.

If power goes out,they just send the kids home.
that's what happened to me back in the 1960's,in junior high.

OTOH,I went past a local Publix supermarket that had a semi-truck/trailer
portable generator supplying power while repairs were being made to
something.
It seems there's a private company here in Orlando that offers that
service. I imagine FEMA and local state emergency departments have similar
systems.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default changing subject headers

If you went to the store, and bought a box of brownie mix. Came home, and it
was full of macaroni and cheese. Would you think that's OK?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Thomas" wrote in message

Why the **** do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where
I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default Keep the subject line consistent

So, you go to the book store. You buy a book which is entitled "Tom Swift,
and the Space Machine". You go home and open the book, which turns out to be
the manual for M-1 Garand rifles. You OK with that?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Thomas" wrote in message

Why the **** do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where
I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default Where did we leave off, yesterday?

It doesn't much matter, if the subject lines are consistent with the text
body. You can also group the messages by date sent, and that makes fairly
good sense.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Thomas" wrote in message

Why the **** do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where
I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default now, THAT'S a text trim!!!!!!

Thank you for trimming old text. Sure is easier than scrolling through
endless chicken scratches.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Thomas" wrote in message

Why the **** do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where
I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default Wildcard.....

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..This space intentionally left blank.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..Do not remove except by consumer.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..Do not use in shower.
..
..
..
..
..
..

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Thomas" wrote in message

Why the **** do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where
I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
If you went to the store, and bought a box of brownie mix. Came
home, and it
was full of macaroni and cheese. Would you think that's OK?
Christopher A. Young

No, if I -paid- for it, but I don't quibble with free food or the
subject of other peoples' conversations.

The content, maybe.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

In article ,
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

What does the National Guard do when they are called out? I haven't
seen them at work because the local administration has always been
adequate. The dump trucks and bucket loaders needed to clear snow can
handle most other infrastructure damage too.

jsw

Depends largely on the disaster. For somethings like tornadoes they are
mainly used as cops to patrol areas with some civil engineering type
things (generators, clean waters, etc) tossed in. For floods the same
plus often help with defense issues such as filling and moving around
sandbags.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I made my living off it for several decades. A 6GH8A retailed for
$3.95 through most of the '70s. I bought them by the box of 100 for 39
cents each, on sale. ;-)

I wonder about availability now, perhaps Russian or Chinese suppliers? O_o

NOS tubes are readily available. It looks like I have 20 NOS 6GH8A
left in my stash: http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Eptub.html

Visit news:rec.antiques.radio+phono if you need old parts. Lots of
tube radio collectors can point you to what you need. There is a Yahoo
antique radio group, as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Thomas wrote:

Why the **** do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where
I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Why do you whiny GGers need to curse like a four year old? We
already know you aren't very bright.

Get a real news server and the right software, instead of GG's
increasingly useless HTML spam portal that's set up to be as useless as
possible, while trying to make it look like Usenet is something Google
owns. Learn to use something that can actually thread messages. There
is plenty of free software, and free or dirt cheap news servers.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Might help with the economic depression, too?

Real jobs are better than welfare, any day.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Some years ago I came up with an idea for NDC, National Disaster
Corps. Young people who didn't care for the military could join The
NDC and get the same sort of benefits for serving the country armed
not with a gun but a shovel and a hard hat. Like The Peace Corps but
with heavy equipment. The corps could be organized like the military
and even work with the military for transportation and basing. Heck,
there are empty bases all over the place they could work out of. I
would imagine that The NDC would be more welcome in certain parts of
the world than the military in times of disaster. ^_^

It's extremely likely that those who shun the military would also be adverse
to hard work, so your idea - a good one in theory - would wither from lack
of participation.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Get the government boot off the corporate neck?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Might help with the economic depression, too?

Real jobs are better than welfare, any day.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Jim Yanik wrote:

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a
backup generator and fuel supply?
maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

The computers. Today's lesson plans DEPEND on student computer activity.

One student asked me (probably a teacher-fed question): "What kind of jobs
are available in the computer field"?

I blinked twice and responded:

"Jobs? You've got computers on your desk. You'll probably get a grade on my
presentation. Heck, you can't even be a little kid in elementary school
without the use of computers. By the time you graduate, there'll be buttons
on shovel handles! Jobs? Instead talk about just being able to LIVE."

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I made my living off it for several decades. A 6GH8A retailed for
$3.95 through most of the '70s. I bought them by the box of 100 for 39
cents each, on sale. ;-)

I wonder about availability now, perhaps Russian or Chinese suppliers? O_o

NOS tubes are readily available. It looks like I have 20 NOS 6GH8A
left in my stash: http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Eptub.html

Visit news:rec.antiques.radio+phono if you need old parts. Lots of
tube radio collectors can point you to what you need. There is a Yahoo
antique radio group, as well.

Man, I don't remember the last time I worked on anything that had tubes
in except for CRT's. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/7/2012 5:50 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
... I don't know, I simply thought about all the disasters that
seem to be going on around the country ...

TDD

What would they do that contractors with heavy equipment couldn't do
better and faster? There isn't much call for axe or shovel work any
more, and inexperienced amateur administrators would be worse than
FEMA.

What does the National Guard do when they are called out? I haven't
seen them at work because the local administration has always been
adequate. The dump trucks and bucket loaders needed to clear snow can
handle most other infrastructure damage too.

jsw

I think you missed the point, all soldiers don't hold a tank when they
present arms. There are many different jobs to be done that don't
require heavy equipment. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Get the government boot off the corporate neck?

get the morons out of office, no matter what party they belong to.
The first requirement to run for office should be a good work history,
followed by a full disclosure of their personal and family medical
history. All grades, from grade school forward be made public. IOW,
demand the 'transparency' we were promised in 2008.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Thomas" wrote in message

Why the **** do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where
I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Fine, try GUN CONTROL in lieu of the recent news again!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I made my living off it for several decades. A 6GH8A retailed for
$3.95 through most of the '70s. I bought them by the box of 100 for 39
cents each, on sale. ;-)

I wonder about availability now, perhaps Russian or Chinese suppliers? O_o

NOS tubes are readily available. It looks like I have 20 NOS 6GH8A
left in my stash: http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Eptub.html

Visit news:rec.antiques.radio+phono if you need old parts. Lots of
tube radio collectors can point you to what you need. There is a Yahoo
antique radio group, as well.

Man, I don't remember the last time I worked on anything that had tubes
in except for CRT's. O_o

I have a National NC183R rack mount receiver waiting for repair on my
workbench,, along with a Telectro built TS-382F/U Audio Generator that
are both older than me. Want real fun? To keep the TS-382F/U looking
as original as possible, I remove the oil filled bathtub capacitors,
unsolder the lids, and put new caps inside. Solder the lid back on, and
put them back in. It is a military version of HP's original 200 series
audio generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 08:33:58 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I made my living off it for several decades. A 6GH8A retailed for
$3.95 through most of the '70s. I bought them by the box of 100 for 39
cents each, on sale. ;-)

I wonder about availability now, perhaps Russian or Chinese suppliers? O_o

NOS tubes are readily available. It looks like I have 20 NOS 6GH8A
left in my stash: http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Eptub.html

Link Saved for a rainy day with a bad tube!!!

Crawl the site for other electronics parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default Fine, try GUN CONTROL

Doug wrote:

Fine, try GUN CONTROL in lieu of the recent news again!!!

GUN CONTROL: A steady grip, aim carefully and squeeze gently so you
don't jerk the weapon.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/7/2012 7:58 AM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Some years ago I came up with an idea for NDC, National Disaster
Corps. Young people who didn't care for the military could join The
NDC and get the same sort of benefits for serving the country armed
not with a gun but a shovel and a hard hat. Like The Peace Corps but
with heavy equipment. The corps could be organized like the military
and even work with the military for transportation and basing. Heck,
there are empty bases all over the place they could work out of. I
would imagine that The NDC would be more welcome in certain parts of
the world than the military in times of disaster. ^_^

It's extremely likely that those who shun the military would also be adverse
to hard work, so your idea - a good one in theory - would wither from lack
of participation.

A lot of people young and old joined The Peace Corps because they wanted
to help their fellow man not kill him and blow things up.
We have an incredible military maned by some of the finest folks
you would ever want to meet but their mission is to kill the enemy
if necessary. There are people who want to serve their country in
some capacity but don't care for death and destruction but have a
moral compass that steers in another direction. There are also those
like me who tried to join the military but were disqualified on medical
grounds. Because someone is a conscientious objector doesn't mean
they're a lazy slacker. I do believe a lot of military medics became
medics because of their religious beliefs and I doubt if any of them
were lazy cowards. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"in lieu of the recent news"

You mean, place of the recent news?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/in+lieu+of

So, you want to cancel the recent news,
and provide gun control instead?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Doug wrote:

Fine, try GUN CONTROL in lieu of the recent news again!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

We'd be a lot safer, if the common man were also armed. The criminals seem
to be armed, regardless of any laws.

How about if we require all adults to be armed, and just make it illegal to
shoot other people?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

GUN CONTROL: A steady grip, aim carefully and squeeze gently so you
don't jerk the weapon.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

In article , the-daring-dufas@stinky-
finger.net says...

[...]

We could have used them in CT last year. Lots and lots of downed trees
that didn't need much in the way of expertise to move, just warm bodies
with chainsaws and come-alongs. Had to move the trees before the power
and phone companies could get in to fix the wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

In article , cayoung61
says...

Might help with the economic depression, too?

Not necessarily. The New Deal worked mostly because while just about
everybody in the country was broke, the government was solvent. This
time the government's as broke as the rest of us.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 09:01:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Get the government boot off the corporate neck?

snip

But then who gets the corporate boot off the citizens'
necks, and the socio/psychopaths and criminals out of the
executive suites (and the citizens' pockets)?

Adam Smith's invisible hand of the market has evolved into
the black hand of the market...

http://www.cfr.org/uk/understanding-...FSVvTAod1GYAqw

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/07/op...d-exposed.html

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/08/...ering-inquiry/

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...ing-probe.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ed-assets.html

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/7/2012 6:17 AM, Thomas wrote:

Why the **** do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where
I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

It is only stormin mormon who top posts and changes topic headers. I
think he does it to annoy most posters in a.s group, in spite of the
fact that he has been repeatedly asked politely to stop doing both.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/7/2012 7:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It doesn't much matter, if the subject lines are consistent with the text
body.

So then why do you keep changing the subject lines??

You can also group the messages by date sent, and that makes fairly
good sense.

It's ironic that you recommend that we can 'group messages by sent
date', but you complain about how you don't like to have to scroll down
to see the most recent text in a thread post. Do you recognize the
irony here?

wrote in message

Why the **** do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where
I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was listening to the AM radio out of Rochester, NY during Hurricane
Katrena. The Rochester, NY fire department had a boat to send, to help out.
Aparently, FEMA heard of this, and called them to tell them not to come.

I've heard plenty of other moments when FEMA prevented rescuers from
rescuing. I suspect they are the "Department of NO".

Put a team of engineers in charge of FEMA, not horse show
organizers. Personally, I would have regional warehouses under contract
with suppliers of critical materials. They would have to maintain
minimum levels of supplies, but they would sell the oldest inventory to
their customers, and new inventory would replace the FEMA stock. They
would be liable for any losses, and the sites physically inspected every
three months. For instance: A one year supply of wood power poles in
hurricane & tornado areas that the first truck can be loaded & on their
way in a under an hour. Enough spare aerial power cable, splicing
hardware, insulators & fuses to completely rebuild a medium size town.

That is a recipe for fraud. You could put all the safeguards you can
imagine in place, and still the material would be defective or not even
there.

Instead of RV type temporary housing, use converted 20' shipping
containers that can be stacked & stored if not needed. Use Federal
prison labor to do the conversions. They could be stored on military
bases, so they wouldn't have to pay rent to park trailers. There are
thousands of obvious ways to reduce response time, and costs, yet
provide what people need. Why truck ice cross country, when they could
pull a portable ice plant into an area, and make it on site? Tow a
generator behind a fuel truck to power it, if no local power is
available.

Require all new gas stations to have a transfer switch, whether they
have a generator, or not. That way a portable can be brought in to
access the tanks without rewiring the place for temporary power. KRW
was whining about making sure every station along a highway had full
tanks. A lot of them around here did, but couldn't pump it because
their electric was out. The county used a portable generator to get the
fuel for the horde of bucket trucks that were replacing poles, and
restringing damaged wire. The stations were paid with an agreement to
replace it with fresh gasoline as soon as it was available. This was
done, because FEMA wouldn't let any tankers of gasoline to cross the
state border.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
The Daring Dufas wrote:
It's extremely likely that those who shun the military would also be
adverse to hard work, so your idea - a good one in theory - would
wither from lack of participation.

Well, we already have Americorps:
http://www.americorps.gov/about/programs/vista.asp

There are four openings he
https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing...rogramState=NH

I don't see any training opportunities for beginners.
"Most programs seek members with college degrees or at least three
years of work experience."

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Jim Yanik wrote:

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a
backup generator and fuel supply?
maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

The water, sprinkler, sanitary and heating pipes can burst if they
freeze.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
We could have used them in CT last year. Lots and lots of downed
trees
that didn't need much in the way of expertise to move, just warm
bodies
with chainsaws and come-alongs. Had to move the trees before the
power
and phone companies could get in to fix the wires.

Here the town sent its plows and wheel loader to push them off the
road. The articulated loader worked better because it could also lift
and pull, and could operate crosswise to the road. IIRC there were 2-3
men with chainsaws breaking down the big trunks. They dumped a pile of
the logs in my yard.

ETQ generators? zxcvbob Home Repair 7 December 30th 10 04:31 AM
Honda generators zxcvbob Home Repair 102 December 21st 08 06:28 PM
O/T generators Andy R UK diy 31 March 23rd 06 02:25 PM
Do I NEED two Honda EU2000i generators to back-up my house? dean Home Repair 11 October 19th 05 02:02 PM
OT - Generators Dan Metalworking 9 September 14th 05 06:12 PM