Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default schools backup power

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:18:01 -0400, "J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

Jim Yanik wrote:

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a
backup generator and fuel supply?
maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

The computers. Today's lesson plans DEPEND on student computer activity.

One student asked me (probably a teacher-fed question): "What kind of jobs
are available in the computer field"?

I blinked twice and responded:

"Jobs? You've got computers on your desk. You'll probably get a grade on my
presentation. Heck, you can't even be a little kid in elementary school
without the use of computers. By the time you graduate, there'll be buttons
on shovel handles! Jobs? Instead talk about just being able to LIVE."

But he has a point. Classes to teach kids how to work computers are
kind of like classes in the '60s to teach kids how to work televisions.
The kid probably knows more than the teacher.

And beyond that level how many jobs are there, really?

A quick search[*] of the BLS site shows 320K "computer programmers" and about
half that number of "electrical engineers". However, someone being able to
push Excel (etc.) around is a big plus in the job market.

[*] meaning that I don't necessarily believe these numbers - they seem low,
particularly the programmers.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default Where did we leave off, yesterday?

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 11:17:45 -0500, misanthrope
wrote:

It doesn't much matter, if the subject lines are consistent with the text
body.

So then why do you keep changing the subject lines??

Attention or lack of self esteem?

You can also group the messages by date sent, and that makes fairly
good sense.

It's ironic that you recommend that we can 'group messages by sent
date', but you complain about how you don't like to have to scroll down
to see the most recent text in a thread post. Do you recognize the
irony here?

Hold on now, he will change the subject line AGAIN. He needs to get
his message out by top posting. More attention for him.

He can give advice but will not take advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 11:14:10 -0500, misanthrope
wrote:

On 8/7/2012 6:17 AM, Thomas wrote:

Why the **** do you guys change the topic header? I have no idea where
I left off yesterday. Birmingham blizzard?

It is only stormin mormon who top posts and changes topic headers. I
think he does it to annoy most posters in a.s group, in spite of the
fact that he has been repeatedly asked politely to stop doing both.

Don't be bashful. He does it for attention. He is an attention whore.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default Fine, try GUN CONTROL

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 09:37:21 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

We'd be a lot safer, if the common man were also armed. The criminals seem
to be armed, regardless of any laws.

How about if we require all adults to be armed, and just make it illegal to
shoot other people?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
om...

GUN CONTROL: A steady grip, aim carefully and squeeze gently so you
don't jerk the weapon.

How bout for starters, we require annual licensing and training?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 09:36:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

"in lieu of the recent news"

You mean, place of the recent news?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/in+lieu+of

So, you want to cancel the recent news,
and provide gun control instead?

Not what I had in mind but now that you brought it up, definitely
yes!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 09:26:47 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Fine, try GUN CONTROL in lieu of the recent news again!!!

GUN CONTROL: A steady grip, aim carefully and squeeze gently so you
don't jerk the weapon.

Hey. I'm for gun control. Every person should have control of their
guns.

--
WARNING: My dog is armed, but refuses to take his medication
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 14:54:32 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

How bout for starters, we require annual licensing and training?

Why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Keep the subject line consistent

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 08:02:38 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

So, you go to the book store. You buy a book which is entitled "Tom Swift,
and the Space Machine". You go home and open the book, which turns out to be
the manual for M-1 Garand rifles. You OK with that?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Shouldn't you be getting back to your Mormon BB camp? I think they're
calling for you!!!!!

You better run along now, you might miss the best part!!!!!

Note: BB means "Brainwashing Bible"

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default FEMA blocks the tankers

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
We could have used them in CT last year. Lots and lots of downed
trees
that didn't need much in the way of expertise to move, just warm
bodies
with chainsaws and come-alongs. Had to move the trees before the
power
and phone companies could get in to fix the wires.

Here the town sent its plows and wheel loader to push them off the
road. The articulated loader worked better because it could also lift
and pull, and could operate crosswise to the road. IIRC there were 2-3
men with chainsaws breaking down the big trunks. They dumped a pile of
the logs in my yard.

I'm happy that that worked for you, but some big trees have to be cut
before they can be moved. Central Florida is full of old Water Oaks.
They have shallow root systems, and the whole damn tree falls, but some
roots are still connected. If you push that, the roots come with it and
break up sidewalks, foundations and even paved roads. Some not only
block the road, but the right of way on both sides of the road.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Delvin Benet wrote:

That is a recipe for fraud. You could put all the safeguards you can
imagine in place, and still the material would be defective or not even
there.

So, material stock that is constantly rotated would all be
defective? OK.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Delvin Benet wrote:

That is a recipe for fraud. You could put all the safeguards you can
imagine in place, and still the material would be defective or not even
there.

So, material stock that is constantly rotated would all be
defective? OK.

I think it would at least be sub-standard. It would be sold to the
government as top quality, then pilfered for use to which it is suited.

People selling stuff to the government rarely go broke doing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

We'd be a lot safer, if the common man were also armed. The criminals seem
to be armed, regardless of any laws.

How about if we require all adults to be armed, and just make it illegal to
shoot other people?

Free AK47s & ammo for gang bangers? Armed dopeheads? people with a
violent history too? No thanks. There is a segment of any population
that can't safely handle any weapon.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote:

Fine, try GUN CONTROL in lieu of the recent news again!!!

GUN CONTROL: A steady grip, aim carefully and squeeze gently so you
don't jerk the weapon.

Hey. I'm for gun control. Every person should have control of their
guns.

And only THEIR guns.

--
WARNING: My dog is armed, but refuses to take his medication

That'll come back to bite you in the ass. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

It's extremely likely that those who shun the military would also be
adverse to hard work, so your idea - a good one in theory - would
wither from lack of participation.

A lot of people young and old joined The Peace Corps because they
wanted to help their fellow man not kill him and blow things up.

Or they wanted sex with the indigenous people.

We have an incredible military maned by some of the finest folks
you would ever want to meet but their mission is to kill the enemy
if necessary. There are people who want to serve their country in
some capacity but don't care for death and destruction but have a
moral compass that steers in another direction.

Huh? I'd be surprised. Very surprised. There are any number of jobs where
one "can serve his country."
* Teacher
* Nurse
* Legal representative for the downtrodden
* Public health worker
* Abused child mentor
etc.

There are also those
like me who tried to join the military but were disqualified on
medical grounds.

Because someone is a conscientious objector doesn't
mean they're a lazy slacker. I do believe a lot of military medics
became medics because of their religious beliefs and I doubt if any
of them were lazy cowards. ^_^

There is no longer such a thing as a "conscientious objector."

Today medics and Marine corpsmen are volunteers. Unlike in WWII, today's
medics also carry arms, must qualify in their use, and kill the enemy if
they get the chance.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

And tubes, lots of tubes. Don't you just love that old stuff? ^_^

Yep. We've gone from tubes to the tubes.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/7/2012 5:58 AM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Some years ago I came up with an idea for NDC, National Disaster
Corps. Young people who didn't care for the military could join The
NDC and get the same sort of benefits for serving the country armed
not with a gun but a shovel and a hard hat. Like The Peace Corps but
with heavy equipment. The corps could be organized like the military
and even work with the military for transportation and basing. Heck,
there are empty bases all over the place they could work out of. I
would imagine that The NDC would be more welcome in certain parts of
the world than the military in times of disaster. ^_^

It's extremely likely that those who shun the military would also be adverse

You mean averse...

to hard work,

That does not follow. There's no reason to suppose those who object to
military duty are lazy.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Jim Wilkins wrote:
Here the town sent its plows and wheel loader to push them off the
road. ...IIRC there were 2-3
men with chainsaws breaking down the big trunks.

I'm happy that that worked for you, but some big trees have to be
cut
before they can be moved. Central Florida is full of old Water
Oaks.
They have shallow root systems, and the whole damn tree falls, but
some
roots are still connected. If you push that, the roots come with it
and
break up sidewalks, foundations and even paved roads. Some not only
block the road, but the right of way on both sides of the road.

Thus the men with chainsaws.

We have 4' dia oaks rooted in thin sandy soil over ledge too. I have
a couple myself.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Delvin Benet wrote:

Delvin Benet wrote:

That is a recipe for fraud. You could put all the safeguards you can
imagine in place, and still the material would be defective or not even
there.

So, material stock that is constantly rotated would all be
defective? OK.

I think it would at least be sub-standard. It would be sold to the
government as top quality, then pilfered for use to which it is suited.

People selling stuff to the government rarely go broke doing it.

Sigh. SO few working brain cells. I stated that the inventory will
be maintained by companies that supply utilites. All it would do is
make sure that a minimum inventory of critical items be maintained.
They would continue to sell to the utilites, but not be allowed to run
out of emergency repair stock. Since it has to be used on a FIFO basis,
how will they know it's safe to stick crap in the supply lines?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Jim Wilkins wrote:
Here the town sent its plows and wheel loader to push them off the
road. ...IIRC there were 2-3
men with chainsaws breaking down the big trunks.

I'm happy that that worked for you, but some big trees have to be
cut
before they can be moved. Central Florida is full of old Water
Oaks.
They have shallow root systems, and the whole damn tree falls, but
some
roots are still connected. If you push that, the roots come with it
and
break up sidewalks, foundations and even paved roads. Some not only
block the road, but the right of way on both sides of the road.

Thus the men with chainsaws.

We have 4' dia oaks rooted in thin sandy soil over ledge too. I have
a couple myself.

This area isn't sandy, and some of the trees are wider than a traffic
lane in the road, so it takes some big saws to cut them. The idiots in
the 'St. Johns Water Management District' declared the road to my
subdivision and made it illegal to trim or remove the old Spanish Moss
covered trees. It took two years to get that reversed, but by that time
over half had fallen, and every few weeks a huge branch would fall
somewhere along the two miles and block the road for half a day. At one
time you needed headlights at noon to drive that road. Now, 80% of the
trees are gone, due to age & disease. Spanish Moss is light, but adds a
lot of weight during a heavy rain. Enough to pass the tipping point.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"J. Clarke" wrote in
in.local:

In article , the-daring-dufas@stinky-
finger.net says...

On 8/7/2012 5:50 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
... I don't know, I simply thought about all the disasters that
seem to be going on around the country ...

TDD

What would they do that contractors with heavy equipment couldn't do
better and faster? There isn't much call for axe or shovel work any
more, and inexperienced amateur administrators would be worse than
FEMA.

What does the National Guard do when they are called out? I haven't
seen them at work because the local administration has always been
adequate. The dump trucks and bucket loaders needed to clear snow can
handle most other infrastructure damage too.

jsw

I think you missed the point, all soldiers don't hold a tank when they
present arms. There are many different jobs to be done that don't
require heavy equipment. ^_^

We could have used them in CT last year. Lots and lots of downed trees
that didn't need much in the way of expertise to move, just warm bodies
with chainsaws and come-alongs. Had to move the trees before the power
and phone companies could get in to fix the wires.

I guess some folks have never heard of combat engineers,like the SEABEEs.
I recall the Indiana blizzard of 78 where the National Guard used their M-
60 tanks to pull semi-trucks out of ditches on I-65,after they had
jacknifed on ice and unplowed snow. The tanks were the only vehicles
available that had the traction on the ice,the normal wreckers with tires
couldn't do it. IIRC,an M-60 weighs over 50 tons.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
We'd be a lot safer, if the common man were also armed. The criminals seem
to be armed, regardless of any laws.

How about if we require all adults to be armed, and just make it illegal to
shoot other people?

Free AK47s & ammo for gang bangers? Armed dopeheads? people with a
violent history too? No thanks. There is a segment of any population
that can't safely handle any weapon.

And most of them already have weapons. Of course they didn't obey the
laws when buying them, and the fact that they are using or pushing drugs
that are also illegal shows their disregard for the law.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Delvin Benet wrote:

Delvin Benet wrote:

[...]

Look: forget it. It won't work. Every "foolproof" plan like that has
failed. The people who would corrupt such a system are always smarter
than you - always.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 17:24:51 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

WARNING: My dog is armed, but refuses to take his medication

That'll come back to bite you in the ass. ;-)

No. He refuses to talk. My dog is barkless. He can yodel now and
then, but never talks out of school.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Delvin Benet wrote:

That is a recipe for fraud. You could put all the safeguards you
can
imagine in place, and still the material would be defective or not
even
there.

So, material stock that is constantly rotated would all be
defective? OK.

http://www.facilitiesnet.com/facilit...-Ability--5346

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The difference is that I can choose not to shop at Walmart. I can't choose
not to pay US and state taxes.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 09:01:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Get the government boot off the corporate neck?

snip

But then who gets the corporate boot off the citizens'
necks, and the socio/psychopaths and criminals out of the
executive suites (and the citizens' pockets)?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

It will be perfectly safe, since it's illegal to shoot other people.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
news
Stormin Mormon wrote:

We'd be a lot safer, if the common man were also armed. The criminals seem
to be armed, regardless of any laws.

How about if we require all adults to be armed, and just make it illegal
shoot other people?

Free AK47s & ammo for gang bangers? Armed dopeheads? people with a
violent history too? No thanks. There is a segment of any population
that can't safely handle any weapon.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Relaxing gun control laws won't arm criminals. Just balance the power, so
the good guys can be armed. But, the overlords don't want armed peasants.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steve W." wrote in message

And most of them already have weapons. Of course they didn't obey the
laws when buying them, and the fact that they are using or pushing drugs
that are also illegal shows their disregard for the law.

--
Steve W.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Sigh. SO few working brain cells. I stated that the inventory will
be maintained by companies that supply utilites. All it would do is
make sure that a minimum inventory of critical items be maintained.
They would continue to sell to the utilites, but not be allowed to run
out of emergency repair stock. Since it has to be used on a FIFO basis,
how will they know it's safe to stick crap in the supply lines?

The big problem is who pays for the warehouse, the stock, the people who
run the place, the utilities, the computers needed to keep track of
stock, etc. How many would you need to keep everyone within a certain
radius of a warehouse, etc. etc. You don't just plop a bunch stuff on
the ground after it mysteriously appears.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

To keep the subject lines consistent with the message body.

I see no irony, at all.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"misanthrope" wrote in message
On 8/7/2012 7:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It doesn't much matter, if the subject lines are consistent with the text
body.

So then why do you keep changing the subject lines??

You can also group the messages by date sent, and that makes fairly
good sense.

It's ironic that you recommend that we can 'group messages by sent
date', but you complain about how you don't like to have to scroll down
to see the most recent text in a thread post. Do you recognize the
irony here?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...

I guess some folks have never heard of combat engineers,like the
SEABEEs.
I recall the Indiana blizzard of 78 where the National Guard used
their M-
60 tanks to pull semi-trucks out of ditches on I-65,after they had
jacknifed on ice and unplowed snow. The tanks were the only vehicles
available that had the traction on the ice,the normal wreckers with
tires
couldn't do it. IIRC,an M-60 weighs over 50 tons.

Jim Yanik

Tanks!?

I guess some folks have never heard of plowing, sanding and salting
icy roads.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

In article ,
says...

[...]

My Dad was a Seabee. What is your point? We didn't need engineers, we
needed warm bodies with chainsaws in large quantity. The problem wasn't
lack of technical knowledge, it was an overwhelming number of downed
trees and downed power lines.

I recall the Indiana blizzard of 78 where the National Guard used their M-
60 tanks to pull semi-trucks out of ditches on I-65,after they had
jacknifed on ice and unplowed snow. The tanks were the only vehicles
available that had the traction on the ice,the normal wreckers with tires
couldn't do it. IIRC,an M-60 weighs over 50 tons.

We didn't need semis pulled out of ditches. We needed medium size trees
cut up and moved off the road. Yes, an M60 can do this. So how many
M60s would it take to move as many trees in a given time as, say
100,000 men with chainsaws?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Gunner Asch wrote:

when the roads are that icy...the plows, sanders and salters cant get
out of the yard.

Been there..done that.

No kidding. There were times they had to wait till the ice melted to
get them out of the lot. It's kind of hard to move a snow plow or salt
truck when they are frozen in place.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

I've heard plenty of other moments when FEMA prevented rescuers from
rescuing. I suspect they are the "Department of NO".

The recent Shingles Creek fire in Utah consumed nearly 10,000 acres.
Authorities said that it could have been much less than that if the
bulldozers could have worked more on the first day. It was estimated that
the fire would have burned only 1,000 acres. But, they had a federal
guideline, and had to stop at 4 or 5 PM, according to the rules. By the
next day, the fire was full on.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Sigh. SO few working brain cells. I stated that the inventory will
be maintained by companies that supply utilites. All it would do is
make sure that a minimum inventory of critical items be maintained.
They would continue to sell to the utilites, but not be allowed to run
out of emergency repair stock. Since it has to be used on a FIFO basis,
how will they know it's safe to stick crap in the supply lines?

The big problem is who pays for the warehouse, the stock, the people who
run the place, the utilities, the computers needed to keep track of
stock, etc. How many would you need to keep everyone within a certain
radius of a warehouse, etc. etc. You don't just plop a bunch stuff on
the ground after it mysteriously appears.

Some people can't think their way out of a paper bag. Of course it
requires planning and there are expenses involved. It also creates some
permanent jobs.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 14:21:41 -0700, Delvin Benet ýt wrote:

Delvin Benet wrote:

That is a recipe for fraud. You could put all the safeguards you can
imagine in place, and still the material would be defective or not even
there.

So, material stock that is constantly rotated would all be
defective? OK.

I think it would at least be sub-standard. It would be sold to the
government as top quality, then pilfered for use to which it is suited.

People selling stuff to the government rarely go broke doing it.

People selling stuff to the government rarely sell them stuff less than
spec. Those that do, go to prison.

Or they die when the substandard crap goes bad before it's shipped.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default changing subject headers

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 08:01:23 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

If you went to the store, and bought a box of brownie mix. Came home, and it
was full of macaroni and cheese. Would you think that's OK?

I'd figure some troll was adulterating the contents of a perfectly
good box.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Steve W." wrote:

And most of them already have weapons. Of course they didn't obey the
laws when buying them, and the fact that they are using or pushing drugs
that are also illegal shows their disregard for the law.

No reason to make better weapons available, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

It will be perfectly safe, since it's illegal to shoot other people.

Will you bet your life on something that stupid?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote:

WARNING: My dog is armed, but refuses to take his medication

That'll come back to bite you in the ass. ;-)

No. He refuses to talk. My dog is barkless. He can yodel now and
then, but never talks out of school.

That doesn't mean he can't bite you. I NEVER trust a dog that
yodels.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Thanks for the predictable, and sensible response.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

ETQ generators? zxcvbob Home Repair 7 December 30th 10 04:31 AM
Honda generators zxcvbob Home Repair 102 December 21st 08 06:28 PM
O/T generators Andy R UK diy 31 March 23rd 06 02:25 PM
Do I NEED two Honda EU2000i generators to back-up my house? dean Home Repair 11 October 19th 05 02:02 PM
OT - Generators Dan Metalworking 9 September 14th 05 06:12 PM