Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default FEMA blocks the tankers

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in
in.local:

In article , the-daring-dufas@stinky-
finger.net says...

On 8/7/2012 5:50 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
... I don't know, I simply thought about all the disasters that
seem to be going on around the country ...

TDD

What would they do that contractors with heavy equipment couldn't do
better and faster? There isn't much call for axe or shovel work any
more, and inexperienced amateur administrators would be worse than
FEMA.

What does the National Guard do when they are called out? I haven't
seen them at work because the local administration has always been
adequate. The dump trucks and bucket loaders needed to clear snow can
handle most other infrastructure damage too.

jsw

I think you missed the point, all soldiers don't hold a tank when they
present arms. There are many different jobs to be done that don't
require heavy equipment. ^_^

We could have used them in CT last year. Lots and lots of downed trees
that didn't need much in the way of expertise to move, just warm bodies
with chainsaws and come-alongs. Had to move the trees before the power
and phone companies could get in to fix the wires.

I guess some folks have never heard of combat engineers,like the SEABEEs.

My Dad was a Seabee. What is your point? We didn't need engineers, we
needed warm bodies with chainsaws in large quantity. The problem wasn't
lack of technical knowledge, it was an overwhelming number of downed
trees and downed power lines.

I recall the Indiana blizzard of 78 where the National Guard used their M-
60 tanks to pull semi-trucks out of ditches on I-65,after they had
jacknifed on ice and unplowed snow. The tanks were the only vehicles
available that had the traction on the ice,the normal wreckers with tires
couldn't do it. IIRC,an M-60 weighs over 50 tons.

We didn't need semis pulled out of ditches. We needed medium size trees
cut up and moved off the road. Yes, an M60 can do this. So how many
M60s would it take to move as many trees in a given time as, say
100,000 men with chainsaws?