Dan

Default OT - Generators

We ar considering buying a small portable gas powered generator, but know
very little about what we really need. Simply looking for something to
power a couple of lights and the TV if the power goes out.

What size would be needed?

Thanks

RoyJ

It is unlikely that you will only need "a couple of lights and the TV",
somehow things like furnace blowers, sump pumps, refrigerators, and
freezers have a habit of needing power when the grid is down. And they
don't take no for an answer. This usually means 3kw to 5kw as a start.

As Iggy mentioned, the NOISE will get to you. Most of the smaller units
are incredably noisy at 11:00 at night and your neighbors are out of power.

For your "2 60 watt bulbs and a small TV", consider a 300 or 600 watt
inverter hooked to the car. Better yet, go to an RV place and get some
12 volt/60 watt bulbs and run them directly off the battery.

Dan wrote:

We ar considering buying a small portable gas powered generator, but know
very little about what we really need. Simply looking for something to
power a couple of lights and the TV if the power goes out.

What size would be needed?

Thanks

Thomas Kendrick

The best TIME to buy a generator is after a catastrophe is largely
resolved and excess stock of generators are liquidated. That may be
much later in the case of Katrina recovery.
The best size generator has the following characteristics -
- largest muffler available (to keep it quiet)
- longest run-time available (at least 6-9 hours)
- minimum 3KW WITH a wheel kit
- sufficient power for refrigeration plus fans, lights and television
Do NOT get the 4KW B&S engine with a 1-gallon gas tank and a hot-dog
muffler. That may be OK for construction and it is cheap, but you will
regret it.
I have a 2KW Honda that runs 9 hours, is "relatively" quiet and will
keep the food cold in the refrigerator and freezer. It's just minimal,
but it only weighs 104# and I added wheels to the roll cage.
With propane and natural gas for cooking and heating, keeping food
from spoiling is a top priority.

Dan wrote:

We ar considering buying a small portable gas powered generator, but know
very little about what we really need. Simply looking for something to
power a couple of lights and the TV if the power goes out.

What size would be needed?

Thanks

wmbjk

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:34:36 GMT, "Dan"
wrote:

We ar considering buying a small portable gas powered generator, but know
very little about what we really need. Simply looking for something to
power a couple of lights and the TV if the power goes out.

What size would be needed?

Thanks

A Honda EU2000 will power anything that plugs into a standard
household outlet. It's remarkably quiet, and its speed varies with the
load, a feature that's really nice if you have it running for many
hours to power small loads. About $900, which is pricey considering
the capacity, but the features are worth the premium.
http://www.mayberrys.com/honda/gener...ls/eu2000i.htm

Wayne

I have thought about buying a generator and so far have not. Instead
of powering a couple of lights, I have about four propane lanterns.
Much cheaper than a generator and less maintenance. I did have a TV
that would run off 12 volts, but my wife got rid of it. I do have a
battery or AC operated AM/FM radio. It also has a TV band, but we
don't reallly listen to the TV channels. Also have a propane stove for
coffee or tea. We keep some water in a five gallon container in the
basement. And have a wood stove in the family room.

We find this as adequate for short power outages ( one day or so ).
For longer outages, I would want one adequate to run the refrigerator
and the well.

Dan

Bob Engelhardt

RoyJ wrote:

It is unlikely that you will only need "a couple of lights and the TV",
somehow things like furnace blowers, sump pumps, refrigerators, and
freezers have a habit of needing power when the grid is down. ...

They don't all need power at the same time. If you're adaptable, you
can rotate the power: run the refrigerator till it shuts off, then the
furnace for a couple of hours, then the pump, etc. I have a 10A/1250w
gen that I get by with in this manner. But if your power goes out a
lot, it may be worth it to have a bigger one. Bob
Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

We ar considering buying a small portable gas powered generator, but know
very little about what we really need. Simply looking for something to
power a couple of lights and the TV if the power goes out.

What size would be needed?

How high is up? The Magic 8 Ball says "Answer Uncertain - Need More
Input..." Tell us what you need to do, how big are the loads, can you
handle the hookup and operation by yourself or do you need a fully
automatic system...

A Honda EU2000 will power anything that plugs into a standard
household outlet. It's remarkably quiet, and its speed varies with the
load, a feature that's really nice if you have it running for many
hours to power small loads. About $900, which is pricey considering
the capacity, but the features are worth the premium.
http://www.mayberrys.com/honda/gener...ls/eu2000i.htm

I have a 1944-ish Army signal Corps 10KW generator with a Willys
flathead and a solid Cast Iron generator that seems to always start
and work when I need it ;-) but as always Your Mileage Might Vary.

Your criterion are Reliable, Quiet, Large enough for your loads.
And do you want to do your own load management (through switching the
extension cords by hand between the refrigerator, freezer, and
furnace) or just hook it straight to the house and handle the whole
thing like normal. (That takes a whole lot more generator, so it
won't stall in case several large loads kick on at once.)

Reliable leaves out all the No-Name Far-East imports with a no-name
motor. You want Honda, Kawasaki, Wisconsin/Robin, Briggs & Stratton,
Onan, Kohler. If you've never heard of them, chances are you'll still
have problems in the future - especially in 2 to 5 years when you
start needing maintenance & repair parts and they say 'Cheng Hua' Who?

As the above post by Wayne says, you can't go wrong with the fully
enclosed Honda's, especially the EU 'Inverter' series - if the load is
low, the engine speed drops back to near idle and really stretches the
fuel consumption and overall engine life. And you get a rock solid
clean power output - the kind that computers and electronics like
seeing.

If you can't pull start the larger units, they make them with
electric start. There are even some large Honda portable units in the
10Kw to 12 Kw with enclosed water-cooled diesels, and they'll run
darned near forever.

And don't walk past a good deal on a RV-enclosure-mounted style
generator from Onan, Generac or Kohler if you find one - you will have
to do a bit of work to hook up a battery, boat-style gasoline tank,
muffler kit, and a power outlet panel - but then you have a quiet and
long life unit for your house. You can "build it in" in the garage,
venting the compartment through the wall.

The same style unit is sold enclosed in a soundproof outside cabinet
(with all the accessories attached, and an automatic transfer switch)
at places like Home Depot and Lowe's - anyone who has a resident with
medical issues should strongly consider getting one of these installed
before the next (insert disaster here). All automatic - the lights go
out, the engine starts, and your lights snap back on in about 10 - 15
seconds. Even starts and runs itself for exercise once a week.

Leave the open-frame 'Contractor Model' 4Kw generators at the bottom
of your list - they are cheap, sure, but they fail the Quiet criterion
and often fail the Reliable, also. They are noisy as heck when
running, and it takes a lot of effort to muffle them down with add-on
enclosures and still provide proper ventilation.

On a construction site they can handle a lot of noise, but your next
door neighbors at night are a different situation altogether. Unless
you have some extra watts to share with the neighbors, then they won't
complain. ;-P

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
RoyJ

Yes but the inrush current can be a real problem. My furnace takes 6
amps running but takes almost 3 seconds to fully come up to speed,
haven't measured the inrush current but it must be in the 25 amp range.
My small 3/4 hp submersible well pump pulls another 6 amps at 240 volts,
my big 2hp one pulls a full 12.5 amps at 240 volts.

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
RoyJ wrote:

It is unlikely that you will only need "a couple of lights and the
TV", somehow things like furnace blowers, sump pumps, refrigerators,
and freezers have a habit of needing power when the grid is down. ...

They don't all need power at the same time. If you're adaptable, you
can rotate the power: run the refrigerator till it shuts off, then the
furnace for a couple of hours, then the pump, etc. I have a 10A/1250w
gen that I get by with in this manner. But if your power goes out a
lot, it may be worth it to have a bigger one. Bob

Virgle Griffith

They don't all need power at the same time. If you're adaptable, you
can rotate the power: run the refrigerator till it shuts off, then the
furnace for a couple of hours, then the pump, etc. I have a 10A/1250w
gen that I get by with in this manner. But if your power goes out a
lot, it may be worth it to have a bigger one. Bob

Bob, I have a 4500 watt Honda and it will just start my pump, but I have a
deep well (480 feet). Honda is one of the best but expensive.
I have used mine about 2 weeks. I need to sell it since I bought a 12 kW
that works on the power take off on my tractor.
Virgle

Anyone heard of cheap small PSA Nitrogen/Oxygen generators? Bruce L. Bergman Metalworking 3 August 1st 05 03:23 PM
Generators and Power factor Stuart UK diy 37 January 13th 05 05:53 PM
Idle thoughts re generators Neil Jones UK diy 143 April 14th 04 02:31 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Natural Gas BackUp Power Generators Lucas Tam Home Repair 5 January 13th 04 07:09 PM