Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default Honda Generators

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 12:37:45 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 07:39:22 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

If this happened with any regularity (read: twice), I'd have a
permanent
installation by the time the power came back on. Sometimes, 0ur
power goes
out daily but it's usually just long enough to screw up all the
clocks and set
the 'fridge alarm off. It's rarely more than an hour (even after a
storm has
taken lines down) and never a week after an ice storm. ;-)

I can run on a solar-charged battery and use the genny only to top up
the battery on overcast days or wash laundry. The clothes dryer is
solar.

How does that work in an ice storm? ;-)

Soon enough we'll have Social Poetic Justice when the carbon tax jacks
up the energy bills of those who demanded it, but don't know how to
reduce their consumption.

Not going to happen. You can take that one to the bank.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/3/2012 11:46 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

I have burglar-bar doors and chain my generator to the door. For
others, it seems trivial to sink an eye-bolt to the brick facade (or
similar).

We are supposed to keep generators away from any structure for their
fire and carbon monoxide hazards, and protected from the weather.

I've installed many a generator inside a structure. The exhaust is piped
outside and a ventilation fan runs off generator power. Of course
regular inspections are necessary along with a carbon monoxide detector.
The cooling air for the genset can also be ducted to facilitate
ventilation. The indoor installations are often much more secure. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Steve W. wrote:
Atila Iskander wrote:

I once happened to witness to salesman from two US companies (T-x &
H-y) that made calculators, go after the same potential customer.
After both did their spiels about all the features of their
respective product, the H-y salesman took his calculator and threw it
as hard as he could at the ceiling a good 20+ feet up
Calculator went up, hit the ceiling, came back down, landed on a
bench, bounced off, and landed on a concrete floor
As the sales guy picked up his calculator, and started demonstrating
how it was still operational, he looked at his competitor and said:
"Our products are designed and built by engineers, for engineers
who work and rough environments.
We don't expect our equipment to be treated this way.
But at least, they have a good chance of surviving such abuse.."
He then turned to the other sales rep, and said:
"How about your calculator ?"
The other rep declined lobbing his calculator at the ceiling.
Guess who got the sale...

Sounds like the guys who sell Thermal Imagers in the fire service.
They will take a unit and bounce it off a concrete floor or throw it
around to demonstrate how much they can take. One rep had that fail at
our station though. He brought in the units and started his
demonstration. He would then pass the unit around to show how the
functions worked. When it came to the tossing part he did his thing
and handed me the camera. OOPS! the screen had a big blank spot where
part of the sensor or screen failed!!!

Reminds me of when I was doing some software development on the likes of
Symbol industrial PDAs. They had to pass IIRC a test involving multiple
drops from at least 1 meter onto concrete. While indirectly working for
IBM it was mentioned what hadn't been factored in was the courier driver
3m horizontal toss into the back of the van which managed to break many
things regardless of the ruggedisation.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

One nice thing about Honda generators is that they're quiet.

That quietness enables you to hear all your neighbor's generators
during a power outage.

Keeps the generator thieves from looking for one at your place during
a disaster. ^_^

Oooh! Good point! But, if you can't hear the generator, how do you
know it's gone?... Never mind.

I have burglar-bar doors and chain my generator to the door. For
others, it seems trivial to sink an eye-bolt to the brick facade (or
similar).

Mine's out in the shed , which has it's own breaker box with the means to
back-feed the house . I just need to pipe the exhaust outside when I fire it
up .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

With idiot proof interlocks, to prevent back feeding up the main wire, and
killing workers?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Snag" wrote in message

Mine's out in the shed , which has it's own breaker box with the means to
back-feed the house . I just need to pipe the exhaust outside when I fire it
up .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote:

I can run on a solar-charged battery and use the genny only to top
up
the battery on overcast days or wash laundry. The clothes dryer is
solar.

How does that work in an ice storm? ;-)

Ice storms cause our week-long outages. Wet clothes dry fine outdoors
in cloudy freezing weather, the same way roads and driveways dry out.
I haven't used my electric clothes dryer for 30 years.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Fiberglass wrapped muffler from a small car?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

You can hear their exhaust, which is about as loud as a Honda car's,
but not the usual mechanical noise of an air-cooled engine. Directing
the exhaust of my genny down a long tube of fiberglass pipe insulation
has relatively little effect on the noise level.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
. ..
Fiberglass wrapped muffler from a small car?

Christopher A. Young

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

You can hear their exhaust, which is about as loud as a Honda car's,
but not the usual mechanical noise of an air-cooled engine.
Directing
the exhaust of my genny down a long tube of fiberglass pipe
insulation
has relatively little effect on the noise level.

jsw

Generators shake enough to destroy a rigid connection to a muffler, or
maybe pull the studs out of the aluminum heads if you add much weight.
I simply pushed the pipe insulation against the exhaust opening to see
if a car muffler and flex pipe would be worth buying, and decided not
to. AFAICT the exhaust is substantially less than the mechanical
noise.

The engine on my lawnmower doesn't shake, so I replaced the rusted-out
muffler with stainless flex hose and a larger muffler. Most of its
remaining sound is mechanical, the putt-putt is muted. It's a
cast-iron B&S from the 1950's and considerably quieter than modern
aluminum engines.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
. ..
With idiot proof interlocks, to prevent back feeding up the main
wire, and
killing workers?

Christopher A. Young

I've wondered how real that threat is, when your little generator
tries to drive everyone else's furnace, refrigerator motor and
electric water heater loads. Maybe there is a spike before the breaker
pops. Anyway here the linemen ground the 19.9 KV line before doing
anything else.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
. ..
With idiot proof interlocks, to prevent back feeding up the main
wire, and
killing workers?

Christopher A. Young

I've wondered how real that threat is, when your little generator
tries to drive everyone else's furnace, refrigerator motor and
electric water heater loads. Maybe there is a spike before the breaker
pops. Anyway here the linemen ground the 19.9 KV line before doing
anything else.

jsw

With a big enough genset the threat is real . As I showed the guys that
repaired my line the last time , when I close the main from the pole my
genset dies from the load . The neighbors around here don't shut anything
down , and the start load has been known to trip mains in the substations
Oh , and Chris , seen any salamanders lately ??
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 17:36:37 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I can run on a solar-charged battery and use the genny only to top
up
the battery on overcast days or wash laundry. The clothes dryer is
solar.

How does that work in an ice storm? ;-)

Ice storms cause our week-long outages. Wet clothes dry fine outdoors
in cloudy freezing weather, the same way roads and driveways dry out.
I haven't used my electric clothes dryer for 30 years.

Not going to happen. Some places even have zoning laws against lines (others
it's "just" have rules). I have a weeks clothing. Two, actually, so power
outages aren't a reason to dry outside, forgetting that washing is going to be
a problem (and showers are far more important than either). The most I've
been without power was three days; 12" of wet sloppy on Oct. 4, when the trees
were in full leaf but that's not likely to happen to us again. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 04/08/12 08:47, Jim Wilkins wrote:

The engine on my lawnmower doesn't shake, so I replaced the rusted-out
muffler with stainless flex hose and a larger muffler. Most of its
remaining sound is mechanical, the putt-putt is muted. It's a
cast-iron B&S from the 1950's and considerably quieter than modern
aluminum engines.

Thanks for that info.
I have a simlar beastie that needs a new muffler after a major carb
overhaul.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Nope. You killed them all with your backfeed.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Snag" wrote in message

Oh , and Chris , seen any salamanders lately ??
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

In article ,
says...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .

wrote in message
Priced a Honda generator, and the salesman fired it up inside the store.
have never heard, or didn't hear, a generator as quiet as that one.
Silence
cost a lo of money.

My Dad had similar experience, in a Honda generator store. Neat demo. I
wonder how many of thier sales guys die of monoxide?

[...]

Yeah, I bought into that. Ended up with an HP-45 and an HP-55 on a
weekly rotation to Atlanta, one would die, I'd send it back, they'd fix
it, and the other one would die. Got to where the techs would recognize
my voice. The calculators started coming back with handwritten
apologies. One day they both died and I tossed 'em and got a TI. It
was still working on the wall-wart 30 years later but I couldn't get
batteries for it anymore, so I tossed it and replaced it with another
TI. That experience soured me on HP permanently.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
With idiot proof interlocks, to prevent back feeding up the main
wire, and killing workers?

If a lineman ASSUMES the line he's about to work on is un-powered, AND he's
working without rubber gloves and assorted other safety equipment, you might
be doing your whole city a favor...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote in message
[...]

What were you doing to the poor things. My dad had a HP 45 then a HP 41C
and never had any issues with them. I've got 2 11Cs and the oldest is 30
years old and still going strong. I only got a 2nd as I lost the first
but it got returned as the people that found it couldn't figure out how
to use it. I've seen plenty of TIs die one way or another in my student
days.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/3/2012 6:47 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I had a noisy 4KW generator. It was very, very noisy. I went to the
auto parts place and bought the smallest car muffler. I installed it
mounting it to the roll cage with one hanger and fitted some iron pipe
to the exhaust output of the engine. The somewhat loose mechanical
mounting gave some wiggle room. As to noise, it reduced the noise a
whole bunch. When my son 1st heard it he asked what good the muffler
was doing. I replied that without the muffler we couldn't carry on a
conversation unless we were yelling into each others ears. So, yes it
helped.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote
"Jim Wilkins" wrote
Wet clothes dry fine outdoors
in cloudy freezing weather,

Not going to happen. Some places even have zoning laws against lines

This is an individual rights support group:
http://www.laundrylist.org/

Save the planet, but Not In My Back Yard!
Or your own either, unless you can provide enough for everyone.

... (and showers are far more important than either).

I finally figured out a good way to shower without running water.

Replace the wand on a new garden sprayer (no poison) with a kitchen
sink spray hose and fill it with water heated on the wood or Coleman
stove. The only part that's mildly difficult is replacing the outlet
tube with 3/8" plastic or copper tubing and getting the sealing nut
and washer to hold air pressure. I used a 1/8" FPT to push-on 3/8"
tubing coupler to connect the spray hose to the tubing, but check the
fit in the store

Three gallons of water is enough if you are careful, five should be
plenty. It's better to have enough 100F ~ 115F water premixed in
buckets than a smaller pot of boiling water to mix with cold in the
tank, in case you spill it in the tub while refilling the sprayer.

The hose may be a bit short to shower standing. Rubbermaid step stools
make good shower seats that put you low enough to reach the spray head
lying on the shower floor.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Yeah, I bought into that. Ended up with an HP-45 and an HP-55 on a
weekly rotation to Atlanta, one would die, I'd send it back, they'd
fix
it, and the other one would die. Got to where the techs would
recognize
my voice. The calculators started coming back with handwritten
apologies. One day they both died and I tossed 'em and got a TI.
It
was still working on the wall-wart 30 years later but I couldn't get
batteries for it anymore, so I tossed it and replaced it with
another
TI. That experience soured me on HP permanently.

I haved a Casio whose Casio-branded ORIGINAL BATTERIES lasted 20 years
and several math classes.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 09:30:37 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

wrote
"Jim Wilkins" wrote
[...]

Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel, say, in Mickey
World, for a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 13:28:56 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote in message
[...]

Indeed. My HP45 still works, after 39 years. Well, sorta. The power switch
if flaky and I had to buy a new battery pack (have an adapter that takes three
AAA NiCds). Other than that, it's good. I replaced it with an 11C, which I
had five years before someone swiped it (you can give it back any time ;-). I
now have an HP35S (used it daily for five years), which is a poor imitation of
the original HP35 but still be best calculator on the market today. I also
use an 11C knock off (uses the original 11C firmware) on my Android phone. You
couldn't give me a TI. I'd have to pay to have it hauled away in the trash.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
I had a noisy 4KW generator. It was very, very noisy. I went to
the auto parts place and bought the smallest car muffler. I
installed it mounting it to the roll cage with one hanger and fitted
some iron pipe to the exhaust output of the engine. The somewhat
loose mechanical mounting gave some wiggle room. ...

I bought a 2" to 1-1/4" pipe reducer, a 1-1/4" nipple that the
fiberglass insulation sleeve slides over, and a thread-mount pipe
hanger and made a crude stand that holds the 2" funnel opening of the
free-standing muffler next to but not touching the exhaust outlet.
It's almost as effective as pressing the insulation against the
muffler and adds no bulk to the generator, plus it works on my other
stationary small engines.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote in message
Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel, say,
in Mickey
World, for a week.

Does your butler dress you?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

David Billington wrote:

I've got 2 11Cs and the oldest is 30
years old and still going strong. I only got a 2nd as I lost the first
but it got returned as the people that found it couldn't figure out how
to use it.

My 16C is still going strong after 30 years. Not only is the RPN a stumbling
block for potential borrowers, if you leave it in octal mode, they'll figure
it's broken where '4 4 +' yields 10.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

HeyBub wrote:

If a lineman ASSUMES the line he's about to work on is un-powered, AND
he's working without rubber gloves and assorted other safety equipment,
you might be doing your whole city a favor...

All firearms are loaded. All circuits are live. All politicians are liars.

They might not be the correct assumptions but they are the safest.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 11:05:20 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel, say,
in Mickey
World, for a week.

Does your butler dress you?

Do you live that close to the edge that you couldn't stay in a hotel for a
week? I sure as hell don't. I suppose there are many who live EBT payment to
EBT payment.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 11:05:20 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel,
say,
in Mickey
World, for a week.

Does your butler dress you?

Do you live that close to the edge that you couldn't stay in a hotel
for a
week? I sure as hell don't. I suppose there are many who live EBT
payment to
EBT payment.

In an ice storm or hurricane power outage the nearby hotels that have
power are packed with families who need them far more than I do, with
the overflow in temporary shelters in schools. Necessities sell out
quickly and service/repair people are booked solid for months. Many
roads including mine stay blocked until the utility crews remove the
wires so the fallen trees can be cut up safely.

The difference from Katrina is that we in New England expect to take
care of ourselves and ask FEMA to write checks later. Twice I've spent
the week clearing fallen trees with my chainsaw, then patching the
holes in the roof before the next storm.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 13:22:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel,
say,
in Mickey
World, for a week.

Does your butler dress you?

Do you live that close to the edge that you couldn't stay in a hotel
for a
week? I sure as hell don't. I suppose there are many who live EBT
payment to
EBT payment.

In an ice storm or hurricane power outage the nearby hotels that have
power are packed with families who need them far more than I do, with
the overflow in temporary shelters in schools. Necessities sell out
quickly and service/repair people are booked solid for months. Many
roads including mine stay blocked until the utility crews remove the
wires so the fallen trees can be cut up safely.

Who said "nearby"?

The difference from Katrina is that we in New England expect to take
care of ourselves and ask FEMA to write checks later. Twice I've spent
the week clearing fallen trees with my chainsaw, then patching the
holes in the roof before the next storm.

"We in New England". *laugh*

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote in message
news
On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 13:22:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Who said "nearby"?

Are you upset that some people can do what you never learned to?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote in message
Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel, say,
in Mickey
World, for a week.
Does your butler dress you?

Do you live that close to the edge that you couldn't stay in a hotel for a
week? I sure as hell don't. I suppose there are many who live EBT payment to
EBT payment.

The last BIG ice storm that hit in NY kept power out for a long time up
north. It also blocked all the roads with downed trees and heavy ice.

Roads are blocked for a few days, at most. You can't last a few days without
washing your shorts?

Staying in a hotel wouldn't have been an option because only a very few
still had power and most didn't have water or power. Plus with the roads
closed and blocked the way they were you couldn't have gotten out of the
area anyway.

The issue isn't an emergency generator. I'm with you there. The issue is
about stupid clothes lines for an emergency and the holier than thou crap from
the moron who thinks he's better than all his neighbors because he knows how
to use one. giggle

Walking was very dangerous simply because everything was coated with
2-4" of ice.

2-4" of ice is a stretching things a bit, unless you're talking about ice
fishing.

You can still see remnants of the storm on Google maps if you look,
large areas where the largest trees now are only a few years old.

Sure. As I've said, BTDT. ...but a clothes line as an important part of
emergency preparedness. Get real.

My hurricane plane is to get in the car and drive, *BEFORE* it hits. ...and
I'm not anywhere near the coast.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote in message
...The issue is
about stupid clothes lines for an emergency and the holier than thou
crap from
the moron who thinks he's better than all his neighbors because he
knows how
to use one. giggle

Militant Ignorance on display.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

How do you connect it to your Honda generator?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Did you charge them off your Honda generator?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

I haved a Casio whose Casio-branded
ORIGINAL BATTERIES lasted 20 years
and several math classes.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Folks in New England buy Honda generators.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

In an ice storm or hurricane power outage the nearby hotels that have
power are packed with families who need them far more than I do, with
the overflow in temporary shelters in schools. Necessities sell out
quickly and service/repair people are booked solid for months. Many
roads including mine stay blocked until the utility crews remove the
wires so the fallen trees can be cut up safely.

The difference from Katrina is that we in New England expect to take
care of ourselves and ask FEMA to write checks later. Twice I've spent
the week clearing fallen trees with my chainsaw, then patching the
holes in the roof before the next storm.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel, say,
in Mickey
World, for a week.

Does your butler dress you?

Butlers do not dress. That is the job of the batman.

The below-stairs folk get mightily upset when another servant presumes to do
their job.

ETQ generators? zxcvbob Home Repair 7 December 30th 10 04:31 AM
Honda generators zxcvbob Home Repair 102 December 21st 08 06:28 PM
O/T generators Andy R UK diy 31 March 23rd 06 02:25 PM
Do I NEED two Honda EU2000i generators to back-up my house? dean Home Repair 11 October 19th 05 02:02 PM
OT - Generators Dan Metalworking 9 September 14th 05 06:12 PM