Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default Honda Generators

No, I'm a Young, not a Honda.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Does this relate to Honda generators?

Do you?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Hardly at all. I don't have any baseboards in my family, nor do I have any
lets rolls.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Does this relate to Honda generators?

How do you relate to most threads you post in?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival,alt.home.repair

I have a lot of respect for self motivated folks, with Honda Generators.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

The difference from Katrina is that we in New England expect to take
care of ourselves and ask FEMA to write checks later. Twice I've spent
the week clearing fallen trees with my chainsaw, then patching the
holes in the roof before the next storm.

We had a sudden storm blow through the Cascade foothills last
month /end of June. Knocked a lot of trees down. News footage
interviewing a guy right in the middle. "Yep, I work here, and the
power went out, and I could see the tree" [cut to 18-24 inch moderate
sized tree trunk where it was cut off at the road's edge] "so I got
out the chain saw, and me and a couple other guys had the road open in
about a half hour or so." Yep, good ol' boys -not so much that
they're ready for anything, as they haven't gotten everything out of
the truck, yet.

tschus
pyotr

==
pyotr filipivich
"Have the Anarchists ever stopped to consider that if they bring
down the American Government, there will be no one to protect
them from the rednecks?"

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Ideally, fill your "bunch of cans" when it's calm weather, and the
power is
on.
Christopher A. Young

Ideally, the weather report predicts an ice storm instead of harmless
sleet or rain at 35F.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/5/2012 5:05 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 17:26:27 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 8/4/2012 3:44 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 13:22:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 11:05:20 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel,
say,
in Mickey
World, for a week.

Does your butler dress you?

Do you live that close to the edge that you couldn't stay in a hotel
for a
week? I sure as hell don't. I suppose there are many who live EBT
payment to
EBT payment.

In an ice storm or hurricane power outage the nearby hotels that have
power are packed with families who need them far more than I do, with
the overflow in temporary shelters in schools. Necessities sell out
quickly and service/repair people are booked solid for months. Many
roads including mine stay blocked until the utility crews remove the
wires so the fallen trees can be cut up safely.

The difference from Katrina is that we in New England expect to take
care of ourselves and ask FEMA to write checks later. Twice I've spent
the week clearing fallen trees with my chainsaw, then patching the
holes in the roof before the next storm.

Mississipi and Georgia were hit as hard or harder than Lousiana by
Katrina..and they simply got stuff done.

Gunner

--

The Chocolate City had a melt down. ^_^

TDD

Indeed it most certainly did. Democrats couldnt cover **** with a
shovel if their lives depended on it.

Gunner

--

Affirmative Action government never works well. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

From the combined experience of several who've tried it,
experiencing a hurricane on a traffic-blocked Interstate is only
minimal fun.

They just left too late. Gotta beat the rush and get good seats.

Then you better leave a week or more before it hits. The biggest
problem is gasoline. A lot of people run out and find that the
stations are waiting on extra deliveries. You have jerks show up
with a bunch of cans or even 55 gallon drums, in spite of being told
that they are only supposed to fill the tanks on their vehicles.

My state implemented a rule (not sure if it's a law) that as soon as a
hurricane watch is called, all gas stations along designated evacuation
routes must arrange to top off (to at least 60%) their storage tanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"HeyBub" wrote in message
My state implemented a rule (not sure if it's a law) that as soon as
a hurricane watch is called, all gas stations along designated
evacuation routes must arrange to top off (to at least 60%) their
storage tanks.

Except in the numerous but small flood-prone areas we evacuate to our
basements. I suppose that's not a common option in the South. You can
live a lot longer on whatever is in your house than what's in your
car.

jsw, who has lived in a VW Beetle.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 06:59:57 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 22:04:35 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:
I'm a FF/EMT and am one of the folks who stay around and help the
ones
in trouble. Just goes with the job.

That's a good enough reason. ;-) Mind if I keep (far) out of your
way?

Keep out of everyone's way.

Don't worry, I'll be three states away. I'll let you nuts take care of the
other nuts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival,alt.home.repair

pyotr filipivich wrote:

News footage
interviewing a guy right in the middle. "Yep, I work here, and the
power went out, and I could see the tree" [cut to 18-24 inch moderate
sized tree trunk where it was cut off at the road's edge] "so I got
out the chain saw, and me and a couple other guys had the road open in
about a half hour or so."

A similar thing happened on my road. By the time I went to work, the tree
was neatly cut up and loaded into the back of someone's pickup. Waste not,
want not. Almost everyone around here except me has a chain saw; I'm old
fashioned and carry an axe in the car. I'll admit if there were several
trees across the road I'd truly regret not having a Stihl instead.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

First things first. The tree was in the way, and they did have a
chainsaw.

Free firewood, already down, and you don't have to drive up into the woods
to find it. Good way to start the day.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 12:44:46 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 8/5/2012 12:10 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 11:54:30 -0500, The Daring Dufas

"Steve W." wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

My hurricane plane is to get in the car and drive, *BEFORE* it hits. ...and
I'm not anywhere near the coast.

You have a flying car?

I don't have that option.

He wasn't in Alabama in the early '70s when ice took town the main HV
feed across the state, from a nuclear power plant. Some areas were
without power for six weeks. It was the first heavy snow fall in 20
years, and a lot of power lines weren't built for the temperature so
they were snapping or pulling down poles.

We had The Blizzard of 1993 which paralyzed Birmingham and surrounding
area to an incredible degree(no pun). It would have been a minor
inconvenience for a Northern city but what hit us was way outside our
experience with snowfall. We could swap them dang Yankees a few
tornadoes for a couple of blizzards. ^_^

At least them "dang Yankees" could drive through the snow to get your ass to
the hospital. ;-)

That's the point but the guys who go mud riding in their 4X4 didn't seem
to have any trouble getting around. ^_^

....and they drive their cars the same way. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/5/2012 1:00 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 12:44:46 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

[...]

My favorite drivers are the ones who drive faster in the rain so they
can get home quicker and not get wet. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

We could swap them dang Yankees a few
tornadoes for a couple of blizzards. ^_^
TDD

No thanks, we have enough already:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zephyrp...7606420814448/

We were lucky, only one fatality. It ran up a lightly populated hilly
region between two suburban ones.

One came 1/4 mile from the house when I was little.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On 8/5/2012 3:37 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

We could swap them dang Yankees a few
tornadoes for a couple of blizzards. ^_^
TDD

No thanks, we have enough already:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zephyrp...7606420814448/

We were lucky, only one fatality. It ran up a lightly populated hilly
region between two suburban ones.

One came 1/4 mile from the house when I was little.

I've had one skip over me at a higher altitude, it's a strange sight. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hardly at all. I don't have any baseboards in my family, nor do I have any
lets rolls.

Or marbles.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ideally, fill your "bunch of cans" when it's calm weather, and the power is
on.

Then store it in your living room, until you need it? Y2K madness
all over again.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

HeyBub wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

From the combined experience of several who've tried it,
experiencing a hurricane on a traffic-blocked Interstate is only
minimal fun.

They just left too late. Gotta beat the rush and get good seats.

Then you better leave a week or more before it hits. The biggest
problem is gasoline. A lot of people run out and find that the
stations are waiting on extra deliveries. You have jerks show up
with a bunch of cans or even 55 gallon drums, in spite of being told
that they are only supposed to fill the tanks on their vehicles.

My state implemented a rule (not sure if it's a law) that as soon as a
hurricane watch is called, all gas stations along designated evacuation
routes must arrange to top off (to at least 60%) their storage tanks.

That's great, if the tankers can get there. What it really means is
that other stations get no gas, unless extra trucks are availible.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

If they can afford it. The kids were in school, since it was
winter. How do the parents take off and not cause the kids to fail, and
be held back a year? How were they to know it would be six weeks?

It the power in the entire area is out, there won't be any school.

^^

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left. That's
different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school without
a large power plant in over 25 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That combination of cold and no power, would make you wish you had a Honda
generator.

How many did you have in 1973?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 17:53:38 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hardly at all. I don't have any baseboards in my family, nor do I have any
lets rolls.

Or marbles.

Big grin.

You have to understand, Stromin' OWNS this thread. Bought and paid for
it, he did. No one is allowed to use any words that don't appear in
his subject line. Them's the rules.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

We could swap them dang Yankees a few
tornadoes for a couple of blizzards. ^_^
TDD

No thanks, we have enough already:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zephyrp...7606420814448/

We were lucky, only one fatality. It ran up a lightly populated hilly
region between two suburban ones.

One came 1/4 mile from the house when I was little.

One hit my high school in the late '60s. It blew out over 1,000
panes of glass, leveled the most of the light standards on the football
field and lifted the gym roof. The two story press box lost the upper
deck, and the lower deck was badly damaged. Most of the school busses
were parked inside & under the stadium seats or the light standards
would have crushed them.

That was on a Saturday afternoon. We were in classes on Monday even
though it was cold, and there were no lights in most of the campus. It
took over three weeks to replace all of the glass, and a couple more
weeks for other repairs. They had to wait almost nine months for the
new light standards. to be built and erected. It was amazing to see
inch thick wall steel pipe bent like that.

That summer, a dry power transformer burnt in the transformer vault,
and left almost half the campus without power. Temporary lines ran from
one wing to another for lights only, but idiot teachers kept tripping
the 400A three phase 208 VAC breaker by trying to use TVs and other
items.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hardly at all. I don't have any baseboards in my family, nor do I have any
lets rolls.

Or marbles.

Big grin.

You have to understand, Stromin' OWNS this thread. Bought and paid for
it, he did. No one is allowed to use any words that don't appear in
his subject line. Them's the rules.

Rules? Strommin' drools.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Like the women in an office who plug that little electric heater under
their desk into the UPS for their computer. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 17:56:15 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

From the combined experience of several who've tried it,
experiencing a hurricane on a traffic-blocked Interstate is only
minimal fun.

They just left too late. Gotta beat the rush and get good seats.

Then you better leave a week or more before it hits. The biggest
problem is gasoline. A lot of people run out and find that the
stations are waiting on extra deliveries. You have jerks show up
with a bunch of cans or even 55 gallon drums, in spite of being told
that they are only supposed to fill the tanks on their vehicles.

My state implemented a rule (not sure if it's a law) that as soon as a
hurricane watch is called, all gas stations along designated evacuation
routes must arrange to top off (to at least 60%) their storage tanks.

That's great, if the tankers can get there. What it really means is
that other stations get no gas, unless extra trucks are availible.

....and they're so likely to send trucks into an area where there is doubt that
they'll come back (soon).
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 17:59:22 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

If they can afford it. The kids were in school, since it was
winter. How do the parents take off and not cause the kids to fail, and
be held back a year? How were they to know it would be six weeks?

It the power in the entire area is out, there won't be any school.

^^

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left. That's
different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school without
a large power plant in over 25 years.

I've never seen one *WITH* one. If it's not safe for the kiddies on the
street, they're closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Or complain that the computer shuts down when they turn on a laser
printer?

The wood barracks we used in basic would blow a fuse if someone
turned on a radio, while someone else was using an electric razor.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

That's great, if the tankers can get there. What it really means is
that other stations get no gas, unless extra trucks are availible.

...and they're so likely to send trucks into an area where there is doubt that
they'll come back (soon).

Do you have any idea how long the state of Florida is, and how many
tanker loads of gasoline it takes to evacutate an area? FEMA stopped
gasoline deliveries to Florida in the last round of huricanes that hit
this area. They were sitting along I 75, across the state border.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 16:37:34 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

We could swap them dang Yankees a few
tornadoes for a couple of blizzards. ^_^
TDD

No thanks, we have enough already:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zephyrp...7606420814448/

We were lucky, only one fatality. It ran up a lightly populated hilly
region between two suburban ones.

You don't need to go back that far. They are getting more common
in the NE year after year-- a fairly big one in western MA last
summer; One in western NY last week-- and the scroller on the TV is
reporting one in the Catskills as I type this.

One came 1/4 mile from the house when I was little.

I'm happy to say I haven't been within miles of one-

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote:

" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

If they can afford it. The kids were in school, since it was
winter. How do the parents take off and not cause the kids to fail, and
be held back a year? How were they to know it would be six weeks?

It the power in the entire area is out, there won't be any school.

^^

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left. That's
different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school without
a large power plant in over 25 years.

I've never seen one *WITH* one. If it's not safe for the kiddies on the
street, they're closed.

Maybe in Alabamaistan or NY, but the newer public buildings in this
area are built to be hurricane shelters.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote:

" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

If they can afford it. The kids were in school, since it was
winter. How do the parents take off and not cause the kids to fail, and
be held back a year? How were they to know it would be six weeks?

It the power in the entire area is out, there won't be any school.

^^

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left. That's
different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school without
a large power plant in over 25 years.

I've never seen one *WITH* one. If it's not safe for the kiddies on the
street, they're closed.

Maybe in Alabamaistan or NY, but the newer public buildings in this
area are built to be hurricane shelters.

Or Georgia, or Ohio, or Illinois, or Vermont. None. Even the ones with
fallout shelters. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 17:53:35 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Everyone has their priorities.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 17:59:22 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left.
That's
different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school
without
a large power plant in over 25 years.

I've never seen one *WITH* one. If it's not safe for the kiddies on
the
street, they're closed.

Here in the First World the main roads will be clear enough for fire
trucks and school buses within two days max. Snow plows and bucket
loaders push the fallen trees aside.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

wrote:

" wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
If they can afford it. The kids were in school, since it was
winter. How do the parents take off and not cause the kids to fail, and
be held back a year? How were they to know it would be six weeks?
It the power in the entire area is out, there won't be any school.
^^

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left. That's
different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school without
a large power plant in over 25 years.

I've never seen one *WITH* one. If it's not safe for the kiddies on the
street, they're closed.

Maybe in Alabamaistan or NY, but the newer public buildings in this
area are built to be hurricane shelters.

The local schools around me are hit/miss on who does have back-up power.
The local one did have until they added on to the place.

A couple others nearby have either fixed units or huge portables
(ex-military surplus usually)

Some got grants and insurance funding after the floods and added power
on as they discovered being a storm shelter doesn't work very well
without power.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 20:01:34 -0400, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 17:59:22 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left.
That's
different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school
without
a large power plant in over 25 years.

I've never seen one *WITH* one. If it's not safe for the kiddies on
the
street, they're closed.

Here in the First World the main roads will be clear enough for fire
trucks and school buses within two days max. Snow plows and bucket
loaders push the fallen trees aside.

Um, that's my point.

ETQ generators? zxcvbob Home Repair 7 December 30th 10 04:31 AM
Honda generators zxcvbob Home Repair 102 December 21st 08 06:28 PM
O/T generators Andy R UK diy 31 March 23rd 06 02:25 PM
Do I NEED two Honda EU2000i generators to back-up my house? dean Home Repair 11 October 19th 05 02:02 PM
OT - Generators Dan Metalworking 9 September 14th 05 06:12 PM