Old December 29th 10, 08:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default ETQ generators?

I just went to Northern Tools to buy a pair of gloves, and they have
their ETQ IN1800i generator on sale for $200. That's the one with
an inverter. Does anybody here have one? How crappy is it? :-)

I know it's not a Honda. I have a bigger Yamaha generator already,
but the ETQ is smaller and lighter, and it has a switch to disable
the smart throttle (if I want to power my table saw with the Yamaha
I have to plug in a waffle iron along with it to get it off idle,
otherwise it can't rev up fast enough to handle the starting current)

I'm really tempted at that price to go back and get it. Northern
offers a 3 year extended warranty for $20, and I have a $20 off
coupon...

-Bob

Old December 29th 10, 08:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.com/IN1800I-4-Stro...ews/B001JLTH12

Old December 29th 10, 08:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>I just went to Northern Tools to buy a pair of gloves, and they have their
>ETQ IN1800i generator on sale for $200. That's the one with an inverter.
>Does anybody here have one? How crappy is it? :-)
>
> I know it's not a Honda. I have a bigger Yamaha generator already, but
> the ETQ is smaller and lighter, and it has a switch to disable the smart
> throttle (if I want to power my table saw with the Yamaha I have to plug
> in a waffle iron along with it to get it off idle, otherwise it can't rev
> up fast enough to handle the starting current)
>
> I'm really tempted at that price to go back and get it. Northern offers a
> 3 year extended warranty for $20, and I have a $20 off coupon...
>
> -Bob

I don't even find that model on their site. They have an in1000 for $300,
but I can't find an 1800. The reviews on it suck. It sounds like you're
lucky if you get one delivered in one piece, and those that do work are
screamers

Old December 29th 10, 08:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> I just went to Northern Tools to buy a pair of gloves, and they have their
>> ETQ IN1800i generator on sale for $200. That's the one with an inverter.
>> Does anybody here have one? How crappy is it? :-)
>>
>> I know it's not a Honda. I have a bigger Yamaha generator already, but
>> the ETQ is smaller and lighter, and it has a switch to disable the smart
>> throttle (if I want to power my table saw with the Yamaha I have to plug
>> in a waffle iron along with it to get it off idle, otherwise it can't rev
>> up fast enough to handle the starting current)
>>
>> I'm really tempted at that price to go back and get it. Northern offers a
>> 3 year extended warranty for $20, and I have a $20 off coupon...
>>
>> -Bob

> I don't even find that model on their site. They have an in1000 for $300,
> but I can't find an 1800. The reviews on it suck. It sounds like you're
> lucky if you get one delivered in one piece, and those that do work are
> screamers

I saw the reviews. Most of them complained about the packing and
shipping; generators arrived broken. I can pick this up right at
the store and examine it before I take it home.

Chinese electronics and engine with no recognizable brand scares me
a little. But if the exact same item said "Generac" or "Onan" (and
also said "made in China") I dunno. For $200 including the 3 year
in-store warranty, I'm awfully tempted.

Bob
Old December 29th 10, 09:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
> RBM wrote:
>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>> I just went to Northern Tools to buy a pair of gloves, and they
>>> have their ETQ IN1800i generator on sale for $200. That's the one
>>> with an inverter. Does anybody here have one? How crappy is it? :-)
>>>
>>> I know it's not a Honda. I have a bigger Yamaha generator already,
>>> but the ETQ is smaller and lighter, and it has a switch to disable
>>> the smart throttle (if I want to power my table saw with the Yamaha
>>> I have to plug in a waffle iron along with it to get it off idle,
>>> otherwise it can't rev up fast enough to handle the starting
>>> current) I'm really tempted at that price to go back and get it.
>>> Northern
>>> offers a 3 year extended warranty for $20, and I have a $20 off
>>> coupon... -Bob

>> I don't even find that model on their site. They have an in1000 for
>> $300, but I can't find an 1800. The reviews on it suck. It sounds
>> like you're lucky if you get one delivered in one piece, and those
>> that do work are screamers
>>

> I saw the reviews. Most of them complained about the packing and
> shipping; generators arrived broken. I can pick this up right at
> the store and examine it before I take it home.
>
> Chinese electronics and engine with no recognizable brand scares me
> a little. But if the exact same item said "Generac" or "Onan" (and
> also said "made in China") I dunno. For $200 including the 3 year
> in-store warranty, I'm awfully tempted.

Check your local Craigslist first.

Old December 29th 10, 11:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:46:45 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote Re ETQ generators?:

>I saw the reviews. Most of them complained about the packing and
>shipping; generators arrived broken. I can pick this up right at
>the store and examine it before I take it home.
>
>Chinese electronics and engine with no recognizable brand scares me
>a little. But if the exact same item said "Generac" or "Onan" (and
>also said "made in China") I dunno. For $200 including the 3 year
>in-store warranty, I'm awfully tempted.

Looks good to me. I would go for it at that price.
Old December 30th 10, 03:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I saw ETQ generators on Ebay. The one seller had a buy it
now. Including delivery was $140, I think it was. Deep sigh,
and I'm out of my mind. Couple mouse clicks later, I had
bought a generator. It showed up. I put some gas in it, and
it was amazing quiet. Really surprised me. And the one time
I used it, the generator ran a guy's furnace. I didn't
measure, just poured in a pint or two of gas and oil mix,
it's a two stroke. Ran out of gas, but it was long enough to
heat his house. I'm really impressed. Worth every penny.
Mine is 1,000 watts I think. Has the old fashioned
generator, not the inverter thing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
I just went to Northern Tools to buy a pair of gloves, and
they have
their ETQ IN1800i generator on sale for $200. That's the
one with
an inverter. Does anybody here have one? How crappy is it?
:-)

Old December 30th 10, 04:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:

> I just went to Northern Tools to buy a pair of gloves, and they have
> their ETQ IN1800i generator on sale for $200. That's the one with
> an inverter. Does anybody here have one? How crappy is it? :-)
>
> I know it's not a Honda. I have a bigger Yamaha generator already,
> but the ETQ is smaller and lighter, and it has a switch to disable
> the smart throttle (if I want to power my table saw with the Yamaha
> I have to plug in a waffle iron along with it to get it off idle,
> otherwise it can't rev up fast enough to handle the starting current)
>
> I'm really tempted at that price to go back and get it. Northern
> offers a 3 year extended warranty for $20, and I have a $20 off
> coupon...
>
> -Bob

No info on the inverter versions, but the little 2 cycle 800W-1000W
units that sell for +/-$100 are reported to be remarkably decent units.

O/T generators Andy R UK diy 31 March 23rd 06 02:25 PM
OT - Generators Dan Metalworking 9 September 14th 05 06:12 PM
Generators Sparks UK diy 15 September 10th 05 12:48 AM
propane generators Dave Home Repair 2 April 7th 05 12:17 AM
generators in2minds UK diy 9 January 18th 04 05:14 PM