Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default schools backup power

Jim Yanik wrote:

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a backup
generator and fuel supply?
maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

Like I said in another message, FLORIDA'S newer schools are built as
hurricane shelters. Local residents have first choice at staying in
one, while travelers have to take their chances. If someone gets stuck
somewhere in a motor home because they can't find fuel, chances are that
there will be no place to stay.

The school closest to me has had to use theirs several times when the
feed to the school was damaged. They can't afford the liability to send
them to empty homes. So, they might as well run the generator and keep
teaching even if the air conditioning isn't working.

If power goes out,they just send the kids home.
that's what happened to me back in the 1960's,in junior high.

That was 50 years ago, when the buildings were designed for high
humidity, and sitting empty all summer. hell, your local news was
talking about portable buildings at one Orlando school spending $50,000
a month to air condition them, until they could be moved. If they
aren't air conditioned, they will develop black mold. The ceiling tiles
will buckle, and the wood trim will warp.