Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default schools backup power

wrote in
:

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 07:16:20 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

In PRNY, I've seen zero schools with backup generators. But, then,
I've not been near a school in a while.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
news:9PidnacBMupecYPNnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@earthlink. com...

If they can afford it. The kids were in school, since it was
winter. How do the parents take off and not cause the kids to
fail, and be held back a year? How were they to know it would be
six weeks?

It the power in the entire area is out, there won't be any school.

^^

Really? I spent a month in a local school during and after a
hurricane. Their diesel generator was still running when I left.
That's different from an ice storm, but I haven't seen a public school
without a large power plant in over 25 years.

That depends on where you are. Some areas have never provided backup
power at their schools.

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a backup
generator and fuel supply?
maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

If power goes out,they just send the kids home.
that's what happened to me back in the 1960's,in junior high.

OTOH,I went past a local Publix supermarket that had a semi-truck/trailer
portable generator supplying power while repairs were being made to
something.
It seems there's a private company here in Orlando that offers that
service. I imagine FEMA and local state emergency departments have similar
systems.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik