Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.survival

Default schools backup power

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

WHAT does a school HAVE to power,that would justify the cost of a backup
generator and fuel supply?
maybe the food in the kitchen's freezer/refrigerator? doubtful.

Like I said in another message, FLORIDA'S newer schools are built as
hurricane shelters. Local residents have first choice at staying in
one, while travelers have to take their chances. If someone gets stuck
somewhere in a motor home because they can't find fuel, chances are that
there will be no place to stay.

The school closest to me has had to use theirs several times when the
feed to the school was damaged. They can't afford the liability to send
them to empty homes. So, they might as well run the generator and keep
teaching even if the air conditioning isn't working.

If power goes out,they just send the kids home.
that's what happened to me back in the 1960's,in junior high.

That was 50 years ago, when the buildings were designed for high
humidity, and sitting empty all summer. hell, your local news was
talking about portable buildings at one Orlando school spending $50,000
a month to air condition them, until they could be moved. If they
aren't air conditioned, they will develop black mold. The ceiling tiles
will buckle, and the wood trim will warp.

I didn't see an air conditioned classroom until I attended college. O_o

My high school's newest addition was finished in the mid '60s when
A/C wasn't common. There is a chat room for that school, and some of
the crybabies were whining about 80 degree classrooms when the A/C
failed. I gave links and described the conditions after that tornado
hit the same building, and that we didn't even have lights, let alone
A/C. What was my Jr. High school is now an elementary school, and is
surrounded by air conditioning equipment that it didn't have in the
'60s.

TDD

Back in the 50's at The Catholic Parochial Gulag, I can remember sitting
in the classroom of Sister Godzilla and looking at the
high ceilings and transom windows into the hallway and the big
steel swing out windows that let a breeze blow through in hot
weather, if we were lucky. There were also the hissing radiators
for heat in the winter months. Hanging from the ceiling were the
standard milk white glass globes housing those big 150 watt clear
light bulbs. My encounter with air conditioning was when the whole
school was bussed to see a movie in an air conditioned movie theater.
Funny the things you remember. ^_^

TDD