Posted to alt.home.repair

Default EARTHQUAKE

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 20:22:32 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

Several of these 3-4 ones around San Andreas in the last few days. A
decent size shakers and few more mud slides and you might just have
ocean front property!

If everyone who lives in CA goes to the beaches along the ocean at the
same time, CA will crack right off from the mainland. Try it, it might
be fun!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 8:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

Well, I believe Oklahoma is now ahead of California in the number of
earth quakes. Yesterday they had about a dozen up in North Central
Oklahoma. That's talking greater than 3.5. We have only had a
couple greater than 5. Ask the oil companies and they will tell you
that using injection wells to dispose of the water used in fracking
has nothing to do with it.

I personally have only felt 2 of them here in Tulsa but the TV stations
get calls all the time when they happen. There was some damage over
around Edmond in Central Oklahoma last week. At least one home lost
a chimney.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paintedcow:

That slice of California is actually the edge
of a much larger plate - the Pacific Plate.

So while there is always the chance of a
historic quake, that section will not just
drop into the ocean, as sensationalists
would have us believe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 12:17:45 PM UTC-8, Eagle wrote:

Some Californians are buying land east of the San Andreas fault right
now. When the big one hits and Cali slips off into the Pacific, they
will have beach front property to sell and be rich mofo's.

Dey gotz itz awl wong.
My contact within the USGS tells me when The Big One hits, everything East of Reno will sink onto the Atlantic and we'll be left.
That's why were called The Left Coast!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren writes:
On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 12:17:45 -0800, "Eagle"
wrote:

Some Californians are buying land east of the San Andreas fault right
now. When the big one hits and Cali slips off into the Pacific, they
will have beach front property to sell and be rich mofo's.

Vegas has odds the whole state falls into the ocean. In Nevada, we the
beach front property.

Which says a great deal about the ignorance of Vegas. Seems they don't realize
that the San Andreas is _west_ of San Francisco, and it's a strike-slip fault
where one side is moving north and the other south. So, one day, Los Angeles
will be west of San Francisco instead of south of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 10:37 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong
enough to wake
up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

(sigh) I suppose I will have to move to Calif sometime before dying
just so I can experience one! We had a mild tremor here a year or two
ago (epicenter on AZ/NM border) and it was just barely perceptible
("Hmmm... why is my monitor shaking?")

Would also like to try a hurricane -- but NOT a tornado! :

I was sitting in my home office one morning chatting with my husband and
the house began to move. It was like being lifted up in the air a few
inches and back down several times. My monitor shook, too. We both
looked at each other like, "What the XYZ was that!!? Did you feel
that?" Sure enough it was on the news that we'd had an earth quake.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 11:41 AM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong
enough to wake
up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

(sigh) I suppose I will have to move to Calif sometime before dying
just so I can experience one! We had a mild tremor here a year or two
ago (epicenter on AZ/NM border) and it was just barely perceptible
("Hmmm... why is my monitor shaking?")

Would also like to try a hurricane -- but NOT a tornado! :

Everyone in the mid west think earthquakes are the reason they will
never go to So. Cal. but I think the tornadoes the mid west have to deal
with is way more destructive than the earthquakes we get here in
Southern California. That's not to say earthquakes aren't destructive or
scarry, they most certainly are, but the damage from earthquakes
compared to tornado damage or cyclone [hurricane] damage is small. Yes,
there have been some real nasty shakers here in the past like the Loma
Prieta quake in 1989.

http://www.history.com/topics/1989-s...sco-earthquake

I was watching the world series game in Oakland California when it hit.
That shut down the game, and among other damage, destroyed the Nimitz
Freeway (Interstate 880), just south of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay
Bridge.

Then there was the big one that hit Los Angeles in 1994;
"On this day in 1994, an earthquake rocks Los Angeles, California,
killing 54 people and causing billions of dollars in damages. The
Northridge quake (named after the San Fernando Valley community near the
epicenter) was one of the most damaging in U.S. history."

We are waiting for "The Big One" to hit here still...
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...ks-los-angeles

There's a new movie out called San Andreas about the "big one". I
haven't seen it yet, though.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 11:53 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/6/2016 10:41 AM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

Tornados tend to be highly localized (and, only strike trailer parks! : ).
Hurricanes being much broader in their impact (and, usually flood damage
instead of the "percussive" damage from flying stuff)

A friend rode out Andrew ('92) and said it was an interesting experience.
I think having to cower in an interior room would sort of defeat the
experience... all you'd (hopefully!) experience was noise and some
shaking -- wouldn't be able to SEE what was happening.

I was watching the world series game in Oakland California when it
hit. That
shut down the game, and among other damage, destroyed the Nimitz Freeway
(Interstate 880), just south of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.

Then there was the big one that hit Los Angeles in 1994;
"On this day in 1994, an earthquake rocks Los Angeles, California,
killing 54
people and causing billions of dollars in damages. The Northridge
quake (named
after the San Fernando Valley community near the epicenter) was one of
the most
damaging in U.S. history."

We are waiting for "The Big One" to hit here still...

Supposedly, the New Madrid fault just due south of IL has some potential
for significant damage. OTOH, the populations affected, there, aren't
what they would be in (anywhere!) Calif.

The idea of the *ground* moving is just fascinating to me! It's one
thing to be on a man-made structure and experience motion (Harvard
Bridge, Royal Gorge Bridge, tall buildings, etc.); yet another to be on
"solid ground" and feel it move!

We've had tornadoes, have weakened hurricanes come through, and now
we're getting regular earth quakes, too.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster brought next idea :
On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 11:23:10 AM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:
Stormin Mormon explained on 1/6/2016 :
On 1/6/2016 9:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

Your reading audience is all over USA, Canada,
and some countries east of Atlantic Ocean.
Perhaps some more information is in order.
What state and nation, please?

Hope no one was injured, and damage was small.

Sorry 'bout that.
Since I am in So. Cal. I assume everyone here knows that. Afterall, I
was #8 in the post parade, no?

It was a 4.5 on the richter scale, and it was located about 4 miles
north-northwest of Banning, 6 miles northeast of Beaumont and 9 miles
east-southeast of Yucaipa, Southern California.
No one was injured.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgROiDoOrj0

There you go Stormy...more better?

Those wigwams hold up real good to earthquakes don't they there Chief? What
about the poor horses? Did the ground shaking spook them real bad and make
them stampede through your village? ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Injun Monster

Did you write this post Uncle M?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote :
On 1/6/2016 5:29 PM, Eagle wrote:
on 1/6/2016, Stormin Mormon supposed :
Yes, I set down my google last week, not
been able to find it since.

I hate it when that happens.

I don't remember names very well. And neither
locations, I guess. Southern Cal. Thanks, I'll
try and remember. Might need to remind me a
couple more times, my friend Elmer.

OK...Stormy...

Thanks, Elmer. I'm working on learning names.

Is that My new nym now Stormy? :')

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 9:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

LOL!! Big time computer guru can't even read headers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles presented the following explanation :
Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

Really? Shakers in the midwest are very rair, at least they aren't
reported often. That's all you need...a windy and rainy storm with a
shaker and a mixer to boot. 8-o
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Some Californians are buying land east of the San Andreas fault right
now. When the big one hits and Cali slips off into the Pacific, they
will have beach front property to sell and be rich mofo's.

Vegas has odds the whole state falls into the ocean. In Nevada, we the
beach front property.

Which says a great deal about the ignorance of Vegas. Seems they don't
realize that the San Andreas is _west_ of San Francisco, and it's a
strike-slip fault where one side is moving north and the other south. So,
one day, Los Angeles will be west of San Francisco instead of south of it.

Still beachfront and island realestate after the big one hits. Buy now
at bargan basement prices!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

: ).
[...]

We play dodge tornado quite often. When it's the season tracking them
street by street can be akin to a sport, even. lol

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that Muggles formulated :
Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

First I've heard about it. I'll see what's on the interweb about it.
Thanks Maggie!
Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that Stormin Mormon formulated :
On 1/6/2016 5:34 PM, Eagle wrote:
The one earthquake I felt, it was as if the
washing machine was in spin cycle, but there
was no load in the machine.

Were you in the machine then?

No, heck, no. Why would I be in the washing
machine! I was in the clothes dryer, you
old goose.

Oh, OK. No wonder you have a dry sense of good humor, Stormy. :')

I'm not known as one to fluff people. Just
fold right to the point.

Rough and tumble world, and it all comes out
in the wash.

My sense of humor tends the wild and zany.
But, I do try to keep it under control. Try;
just try. Barely, some times.

You do make Me smile and laugh Stormy...thanks for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 10:37 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong
enough to wake
up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

(sigh) I suppose I will have to move to Calif sometime before dying
just so I can experience one! We had a mild tremor here a year or two
ago (epicenter on AZ/NM border) and it was just barely perceptible
("Hmmm... why is my monitor shaking?")

Would also like to try a hurricane -- but NOT a tornado! :

I was sitting in my home office one morning chatting with my husband and
the house began to move. It was like being lifted up in the air a few
inches and back down several times. My monitor shook, too. We both
looked at each other like, "What the XYZ was that!!? Did you feel
that?" Sure enough it was on the news that we'd had an earth quake.

Was it a fun ride? The 6.2 roller we had back in 1969 was a fun ride
until we saw the damage it did and the loss of life it caused. Any
shakers we get now reminds us of the damage and loss of life a big
quake can cause.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eagle" wrote in message
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

Several of these 3-4 ones around San Andreas in the last few days. A decent
size shakers and few more mud slides and you might just have ocean front
property!

We are fairly close to the San Andreas fault here. there are several
other faults here and in San Diego that slip, but the 'big one' will
cause the most damage and loss of life. The home owners insurance Co.s
are advertizing shaker insurance now and making a bundle. They know
there won't be enough money to rebuild, so they will go BK and live off
the billions instead of paying off homeowners that lost their homes and
their lifetime possessions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Gill formulated on Thursday :
On 1/6/2016 8:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

Well, I believe Oklahoma is now ahead of California in the number of
earth quakes. Yesterday they had about a dozen up in North Central
Oklahoma. That's talking greater than 3.5. We have only had a
couple greater than 5. Ask the oil companies and they will tell you
that using injection wells to dispose of the water used in fracking
has nothing to do with it.

I personally have only felt 2 of them here in Tulsa but the TV stations
get calls all the time when they happen. There was some damage over
around Edmond in Central Oklahoma last week. At least one home lost
a chimney.

Bill

Are you in the 405 area Bill? I watch "STREET OUTLAWS" all the time.
:')
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Some Californians are buying land east of the San Andreas fault
right now. When the big one hits and Cali slips off into the
Pacific, they will have beach front property to sell and be rich
mofo's.

Vegas has odds the whole state falls into the ocean. In Nevada, we the
beach front property.

Which says a great deal about the ignorance of Vegas. Seems they
don't realize that the San Andreas is _west_ of San Francisco, and
it's a strike-slip fault where one side is moving north and the other
south. So, one day, Los Angeles will be west of San Francisco
instead of south of it.

Still beachfront and island realestate after the big one hits. Buy now
at bargan basement prices!

Where will we go, when there's no San Diego?
SHHH! Better get ready to tie up de boat in Idaho.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2016 11:23 AM, Eagle wrote:
Shake'en, rattle'en, and roll'en here. GEICO sent me a nice letter
and said ur on ur own if you have any damage from the oil/gas industry
caused earthquakes.
http://earthquaketrack.com/p/united-states/recent
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 12:35:18 -0500, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

Still beachfront and island realestate after the big one hits. Buy now
at bargan basement prices!

Where will we go, when there's no San Diego?
SHHH! Better get ready to tie up de boat in Idaho.

Idaho has plenty of small 'quakes; reaching into northern Nevada.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 9:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

Your reading audience is all over USA, Canada,
and some countries east of Atlantic Ocean.
Perhaps some more information is in order.
What state and nation, please?

Hope no one was injured, and damage was small.

Sorry 'bout that.
Since I am in So. Cal. I assume everyone here knows that. Afterall, I
was #8 in the post parade, no?

It was a 4.5 on the richter scale, and it was located about 4 miles
north-northwest of Banning, 6 miles northeast of Beaumont and 9 miles
east-southeast of Yucaipa, Southern California.
No one was injured.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgROiDoOrj0

There you go Stormy...more better?

You probably have them all the time.

I missed our last one in DE as I was riding in the car at the time and
vibrations did not come through.

Maybe 40 years ago I woke up to what sounded like a big truck driving
down the street to go back to sleep and read in next day's paper that we
had an earthquake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 10:37 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

It was more a feeling of 'what the heck'! lol

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank has brought this to us :
On 1/6/2016 9:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

We have had a few bumps in the night lately that are most likely small
quakes, but they are no big deal and not reported on local news.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

).
[...]

At least you can see a twister coming. You can't 'see' a quake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles submitted this idea :
On 1/6/2016 10:37 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

Exactly! Can't do a thing to stop a shaker, so have fun riding it out!
Posted to alt.home.repair

My 2 Cents explained on 1/7/2016 :
On 1/7/2016 11:23 AM, Eagle wrote:
Shake'en, rattle'en, and roll'en here. GEICO sent me a nice letter and
said ur on ur own if you have any damage from the oil/gas industry caused
earthquakes.
http://earthquaketrack.com/p/united-states/recent

Dayam! Fairview Oklahoma has had several quakes!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2016 1:47 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote on 1/7/2016 :
On 1/7/2016 11:01 AM, Eagle wrote:

Really? Shakers in the midwest are very rair, at least they aren't
reported often. That's all you need...a windy and rainy storm with a
shaker and a mixer to boot. 8-o

We play dodge tornado quite often. When it's the season tracking them
street by street can be akin to a sport, even. lol

At least you can see a twister coming. You can't 'see' a quake.

We can't always see them and have to often rely on the weather reporters
or storm chasers for locations. Occasionally, a tv station will be
filming live from towers, so we can see when transformers blow up and
know about what street they're on.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Jan 2016 11:50:22 -0800, "Eagle"
wrote:

I guess you missed my 'intended' sarcasm about betting odds.

Doing sarcasm is hard to translate to text IMO. I think that is the
reason for emoticons, no? ^^

Emoticons are for inarticulate ****ers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eagle posted for all of us...

wrote:

Some Californians are buying land east of the San Andreas fault right
now. When the big one hits and Cali slips off into the Pacific, they
will have beach front property to sell and be rich mofo's.

Vegas has odds the whole state falls into the ocean. In Nevada, we the
beach front property.

Which says a great deal about the ignorance of Vegas. Seems they don't
realize that the San Andreas is _west_ of San Francisco, and it's a
strike-slip fault where one side is moving north and the other south. So,
one day, Los Angeles will be west of San Francisco instead of south of it.

Still beachfront and island realestate after the big one hits. Buy now
at bargan basement prices!

And none too soon!

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eagle posted for all of us...

On 1/6/2016 5:34 PM, Eagle wrote:
The one earthquake I felt, it was as if the
washing machine was in spin cycle, but there
was no load in the machine.

Were you in the machine then?

No, heck, no. Why would I be in the washing
machine! I was in the clothes dryer, you
old goose.

Oh, OK. No wonder you have a dry sense of good humor, Stormy. :')

I'm not known as one to fluff people. Just
fold right to the point.

Rough and tumble world, and it all comes out
in the wash.

My sense of humor tends the wild and zany.
But, I do try to keep it under control. Try;
just try. Barely, some times.

You do make Me smile and laugh Stormy...thanks for that.

He makes most of us cringe. I'm glad you have a better disposition than I
do...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Shade tree Guy posted for all of us...

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 12:17:45 PM UTC-8, Eagle wrote:

Some Californians are buying land east of the San Andreas fault right
now. When the big one hits and Cali slips off into the Pacific, they
will have beach front property to sell and be rich mofo's.

Dey gotz itz awl wong.
My contact within the USGS tells me when The Big One hits, everything East of Reno will sink onto the Atlantic and we'll be left.
That's why were called The Left Coast!

We will all have to change our name to Bob. That will throw the newsreader
stats into orbit.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote :
On 1/7/2016 1:47 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote on 1/7/2016 :
On 1/7/2016 11:01 AM, Eagle wrote:

Really? Shakers in the midwest are very rair, at least they aren't
reported often. That's all you need...a windy and rainy storm with a
shaker and a mixer to boot. 8-o

We play dodge tornado quite often. When it's the season tracking them
street by street can be akin to a sport, even. lol

At least you can see a twister coming. You can't 'see' a quake.

We can't always see them and have to often rely on the weather reporters
or storm chasers for locations. Occasionally, a tv station will be
filming live from towers, so we can see when transformers blow up and
know about what street they're on.

Oh geeeeeez! Watching for blown up transformers to see what street gets
hit? 8-o Don't go outside when that happens or you'll be a fried
Maggie!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren formulated on Thursday :
wrote:

I guess you missed my 'intended' sarcasm about betting odds.

Doing sarcasm is hard to translate to text IMO. I think that is the
reason for emoticons, no? ^^

Emoticons are for inarticulate ****ers.

****ing on line you say? You may have a point there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® was thinking very hard :
Eagle posted for all of us...

On 1/6/2016 5:34 PM, Eagle wrote:
The one earthquake I felt, it was as if the
washing machine was in spin cycle, but there
was no load in the machine.

Were you in the machine then?

No, heck, no. Why would I be in the washing
machine! I was in the clothes dryer, you
old goose.

Oh, OK. No wonder you have a dry sense of good humor, Stormy. :')

I'm not known as one to fluff people. Just
fold right to the point.

Rough and tumble world, and it all comes out
in the wash.

My sense of humor tends the wild and zany.
But, I do try to keep it under control. Try;
just try. Barely, some times.

You do make Me smile and laugh Stormy...thanks for that.

He makes most of us cringe. I'm glad you have a better disposition than I
do...

I do here. I'm on the defense on another NG most of the time.

earthquake retrofitting Randall Shimizu Home Repair 7 June 22nd 15 09:00 PM
DIY earthquake repairs .... Jim GM4DHJ ... UK diy 7 May 23rd 15 06:36 AM
earthquake valve engineman Metalworking 6 February 4th 09 04:02 AM
Earthquake Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 12 July 21st 08 04:19 PM
Earthquake Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 100 March 3rd 08 04:18 PM