Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earthquake

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:07:19 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

Nothing felt in NE Hampshire.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electrical for Visio http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

Same here, St Helens, Lancs.

Usenet reports from all over UK, but the BBC simply says a 'tremor' in the W
Midlands

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

yes woke me up and I could feel it thumping me in the back through my
bed for about 5-10 seconds afterwards, much stronger than the only
previous one I've felt ...

tried
http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/
but it's timing out already

Posted to uk.d-i-y

West Norfolk

approx 1am

approx 3-5 secs duration

No visible signs of building damage, no power outages

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

no worse than a truck going past here - where are you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

epicentre near kingston upon hull. 4.7 r

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Herber wrote:
wrote:

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

Nothing felt in NE Hampshire.

Nor in Southampton.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

What, you think anything exciting happens in Watford ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

A good 10 seconds I felt it for here in Blackool.

My house made creaks and other noises and I heard rumbling a bit like
distant thunder

First one I've ever felt, really nasty

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Not an underground Nuclear bomb test then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Did she blame it on the tremor or did the skip suddenly dissapear. :-)

Small pic, you decide?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

Nothing felt in NE Hampshire.

Which is a bit odd, because I felt it, and had it rattle things on the
tables here in Cenral Hants. I had to hold down a TV which started to go
for a walk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

That's the sound of the economy collapsing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff writes:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

What, you think anything exciting happens in Watford ?

Buncefield isn't far away...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Block" writes:

epicentre near kingston upon hull. 4.7 r

Heard 5.3 quoted just now. Having worked in California,
I know you can get different estimates from different
monitoring stations.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-27 02:56:23 +0000, geoff said:

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

What, you think anything exciting happens in Watford ?

Doesn't the earth move for you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2008 06:06, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"Block" writes:
epicentre near kingston upon hull. 4.7 r

Heard 5.3 quoted just now. Having worked in California,
I know you can get different estimates from different
monitoring stations.

The 4.7 was the first reading made available by the USGS, BGS later
estimated 5.1 then revised it to 5.3

The BGS web site collapsed into a smouldering heap within 3 minutes of
the quake, while the USGS one managed to collect 1000 "felt reports" and
plot them on a map showing the epicentre within half an hour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:07:19 UTC, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

One of those combis that Drivel 'installed'.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

no worse than a truck going past here - where are you?

Err, check the sig?

I was at the top of the house which was swinging side to side. The
computer monitor rocking quite violently. Far worse than in a high wind.
Quite scary.

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

Here in West Yorkshire I perhaps should have noticed something but I
didn't notice it at all. However I was asleep.

Also par for the course. There was a noticeable terror in Skipton in the
late 80s. First thing I knew about that was when a colleague rushed in
to share the experience. He had been dictating a letter at the time and
played back a distant rumble to try and convince me the quake had
happened.

I haven't spoken to any of my neighbours as yet but if the tremor was
felt in these parts I expect a goodly number of dry stone wall collapses
in the area. Some walls are really only still standing out of habit.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 02:56:24 GMT, "Fray McBentos"
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

A good 10 seconds I felt it for here in Blackool.

My house made creaks and other noises and I heard rumbling a bit like
distant thunder

First one I've ever felt, really nasty

Ditto. I'm close to The Wash. Must be terrifying to live through a
really big 'quake. This one was extremely frightening. Never
experienced ANY tremor in 62 years, so at least it's one experience I
have had before I die! I don't want another.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

High Wycombe area. Box left rather precariously - fell onto floor at
exactly right time. Made a little noise but somehow woke both of us.
Just like another (Birmingham?) earthquake a number of years ago (that
was stronger) and Buncefield more recently. Neither of us realised it
was a quake until this morning.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

Here in West Yorkshire I perhaps should have noticed something but I
didn't notice it at all. However I was asleep.

Also par for the course. There was a noticeable terror in Skipton in the
late 80s. First thing I knew about that was when a colleague rushed in
to share the experience. He had been dictating a letter at the time and
played back a distant rumble to try and convince me the quake had
happened.

Aaaaargh, that'd be the Skipton Terror of which many tales be told. "Twas a
full moon and evil beasts walked the land..." etc ;o)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 02:00:00 +0000, Pete Verdon wrote:

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

Nothing felt in NE Hampshire.

Nor in Southampton.

Or up on the North Pennines. I might have been alseep by then or at least
very close, the last look at a clock was 0043. The other half was still up
and didn't notice anything. Our place is built directly onto the bedrock
not perched on top of a jelly of London clay...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:07:19 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

Felt it here in east Cheshire. Initially scary but soon got over it when we
realised what it was.

Worst bit was that it woke some of the wild bird population in the tree
just outside our bedroom window and provoked a half-hearted dawn chorus for
a while.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Feb, 01:07, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Ah, I fondly remember the quake of '84 - that were a real-un

Actually, it was the most surreal sensation ever. I was a 13 year old
lad sat at home and the house shook violently, the windows rattled and
the ornaments danced. Wasn't entirely sure that anyhing had really
happened until my mum asked if I had felt it.

The one last night I felt in Cheltenham. But had I not let the puppy
out to "do her thing", I don't think that I would have woken. Just one
quick shake and it was all over - what was I talking about????, oh, I
remember - and in ran the puppy terrified. The birds started sqwarking
and that was it.

The one we had a couple of years ago woke me, but was nothing compared
to your last night.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Roger contains these words:

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

Here in West Yorkshire I perhaps should have noticed something but I
didn't notice it at all. However I was asleep.

Also par for the course. There was a noticeable terror in Skipton in the
late 80s. First thing I knew about that was when a colleague rushed in
to share the experience. He had been dictating a letter at the time and
played back a distant rumble to try and convince me the quake had
happened.

I haven't spoken to any of my neighbours as yet but if the tremor was
felt in these parts I expect a goodly number of dry stone wall collapses
in the area. Some walls are really only still standing out of habit.

Jut to follow up my own post. The only evidence I have found sound far
is outside the house. A heavy piece of wood 11" x 3" x 3' 8" leaning
against an embankment wall 8" out of vertical was thrown down. Maybe the
frequency of vibration of the ground was on a par with the natural
frequency of this unrestrained upside down pendulum.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Slept through it, didn't hear a thing. Maybe it depends on the ground under
the house.
Oswestry, N Shropshire
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Bob Mannix" contains these words:

Aaaaargh, that'd be the Skipton Terror of which many tales be told. "Twas a
full moon and evil beasts walked the land..." etc ;o)

:-) , :-(

Spill chuckers are no defence against entirely wrong words. I frequently
find that I have typed something that bears little if any connection to
what I was thinking. I usually manage to root such errors out prior to
posting but that one escaped. I wonder if that is because there must be
an association at a subconscious level between earthquakes and terror.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:57:17 GMT, Roger
wrote:

Some walls are really only still standing out of habit.

No, the sheep repair them secretly during the night.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Feb, 10:25, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:
Slept through it, didn't hear a thing. Maybe it depends on the ground under
the house.
Oswestry, N Shropshire
Don

Good point, I would have thought clay for example would absorb some of
the energy. If you were in bedrock, though ...
In W Midlands on clay, just a slight shaking for about 15 seconds, but
I would have missed the initial bang which woke me up !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

Nothing felt in NE Hampshire.

I don't think I felt anything ( Meon Valley, Hants ) - but then I was
rather preoccupied with writing at the time.
However, I did hear what sounded like a small bird or a very large
moth hit the kitchen window ( a sort of low-pitched 'donk' ) - and I
suspect that was around 1am - so perhaps there was enough of a tremor
to shift the wooden window frame very slightly?

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

Nothing in N Kent.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

No doubt most have seen this, but it's still funny;

---------------------------------------
A major earthquake measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale hit in the early hours
of Wednesday 24th September 2003.

Epicent Rainham, Essex.

Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly muttering "me haaas, me
haaas". The earthquake decimated the area causing approximately £30 worth of
damage. Several priceless collections of mementoes from the Balearics and
Spanish Costa's were damaged beyond repair.

Three areas of historic burnt out cars were disturbed. Many locals were
woken well before their welfare cheque arrived.

Essex FM News (Radio Station) reported that hundreds of residents were
confused and bewildered, still trying to come to terms with the fact that
something interesting had happened in Rainham.

One resident - Tracy Sharon Smith, a 15-year-old mother of 5 said "It was
such a shock, my little Chardonnay Mercedes came running into my bedroom
crying. My youngest two, Tyler-Morgan and Megan-Storm slept through it all.

I was still shaking when I was watching Kilroy the next morning."

Apparently though, looting, muggings and car crime did carry on as normal.

The British Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Sunny
Delight to the area to help the stricken locals. Rescue workers are still
searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal
belongings, which include benefit books, jewellery from Elizabeth Duke at
Argos and Bone China from Poundland.

HOW CAN YOU HELP:
This appeal is to raise money for food and clothing, parcels for those
unfortunate to be caught up in this disaster. Clothing is most sought after,
items most needed include: Fila or Burberry baseball caps Kappa tracksuit
tops (his and hers) Shell suits (female) White sport socks, Rockport boots
and any other items usually sold in Primark.
Food parcels may be harder to come by, but are needed all the same. Required
foodstuffs include Microwave meals, tins of baked beans, ice cream and cans
of Colt 45 or Special Brew. 22p buys a biro for filling in the compensation
forms, £2.00 buys chips, crisps and blue fizzy drinks for a family of 9,
£5.00 will pay for a packet of B&H and a lighter to calm the nerves of those
affected.
Please do not send tents for shelter, as the sight of posh housing is unfair
on the population of neighbouring areas of Barking and Dagenham.

**Breaking news** Rescue workers found a girl in the rubble smothered in
claret - 'where are you bleeding from?' they asked - '****ING ROMFORD' said
the girl.

Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

Here in West Yorkshire I perhaps should have noticed something but I
didn't notice it at all. However I was asleep.

Here you go Roger.

Taken on the West/South Yorkshire boundaries. It certainly made the birds
sing but there is a lot of wind noise in the way. The microphone is at the
other side of the house so I am not sure what the banging is. I thought
someone had sneaked into my bedroom and was shaking the bed.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=35n7d5w&s=3

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Anyone else feel it - just after 1 am? Worst one I've known here - the
whole house shook.

Here in West Yorkshire I perhaps should have noticed something but I
didn't notice it at all. However I was asleep.

So was I until it happened. I'm not a light sleeper but it made me leap out
of bed. Normally I ooze out of bed :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadworth" wrote in message

Taken on the West/South Yorkshire boundaries. It certainly made the birds
sing but there is a lot of wind noise in the way. The microphone is at the
other side of the house so I am not sure what the banging is. I thought
someone had sneaked into my bedroom and was shaking the bed.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=35n7d5w&s=3

Spot on - pity you couldn't capture the shaking.

thanks,

Mary

Adam