Posted to alt.home.repair

Default EARTHQUAKE

At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 9:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

Your reading audience is all over USA, Canada,
and some countries east of Atlantic Ocean.
Perhaps some more information is in order.
What state and nation, please?

Hope no one was injured, and damage was small.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough to wake
up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

(sigh) I suppose I will have to move to Calif sometime before dying
just so I can experience one! We had a mild tremor here a year or two
ago (epicenter on AZ/NM border) and it was just barely perceptible
("Hmmm... why is my monitor shaking?")

Would also like to try a hurricane -- but NOT a tornado! :
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon explained on 1/6/2016 :
On 1/6/2016 9:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

Your reading audience is all over USA, Canada,
and some countries east of Atlantic Ocean.
Perhaps some more information is in order.
What state and nation, please?

Hope no one was injured, and damage was small.

Sorry 'bout that.
Since I am in So. Cal. I assume everyone here knows that. Afterall, I
was #8 in the post parade, no?

It was a 4.5 on the richter scale, and it was located about 4 miles
north-northwest of Banning, 6 miles northeast of Beaumont and 9 miles
east-southeast of Yucaipa, Southern California.
No one was injured.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgROiDoOrj0

There you go Stormy...more better?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough to
wake
up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

(sigh) I suppose I will have to move to Calif sometime before dying
just so I can experience one! We had a mild tremor here a year or two
ago (epicenter on AZ/NM border) and it was just barely perceptible
("Hmmm... why is my monitor shaking?")

Would also like to try a hurricane -- but NOT a tornado! :

Everyone in the mid west think earthquakes are the reason they will
never go to So. Cal. but I think the tornadoes the mid west have to
deal with is way more destructive than the earthquakes we get here in
Southern California. That's not to say earthquakes aren't destructive
or scarry, they most certainly are, but the damage from earthquakes
compared to tornado damage or cyclone [hurricane] damage is small. Yes,
there have been some real nasty shakers here in the past like the Loma
Prieta quake in 1989.

http://www.history.com/topics/1989-s...sco-earthquake

I was watching the world series game in Oakland California when it hit.
That shut down the game, and among other damage, destroyed the Nimitz
Freeway (Interstate 880), just south of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay
Bridge.

Then there was the big one that hit Los Angeles in 1994;
"On this day in 1994, an earthquake rocks Los Angeles, California,
killing 54 people and causing billions of dollars in damages. The
Northridge quake (named after the San Fernando Valley community near
the epicenter) was one of the most damaging in U.S. history."

We are waiting for "The Big One" to hit here still...
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...ks-los-angeles

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 10:41 AM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

Tornados tend to be highly localized (and, only strike trailer parks! : ).
Hurricanes being much broader in their impact (and, usually flood damage
instead of the "percussive" damage from flying stuff)

A friend rode out Andrew ('92) and said it was an interesting experience.
I think having to cower in an interior room would sort of defeat the
experience... all you'd (hopefully!) experience was noise and some
shaking -- wouldn't be able to SEE what was happening.

I was watching the world series game in Oakland California when it hit. That
shut down the game, and among other damage, destroyed the Nimitz Freeway
(Interstate 880), just south of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.

Then there was the big one that hit Los Angeles in 1994;
"On this day in 1994, an earthquake rocks Los Angeles, California, killing 54
people and causing billions of dollars in damages. The Northridge quake (named
after the San Fernando Valley community near the epicenter) was one of the most
damaging in U.S. history."

We are waiting for "The Big One" to hit here still...

Supposedly, the New Madrid fault just due south of IL has some potential
for significant damage. OTOH, the populations affected, there, aren't
what they would be in (anywhere!) Calif.

The idea of the *ground* moving is just fascinating to me! It's one
thing to be on a man-made structure and experience motion (Harvard
Bridge, Royal Gorge Bridge, tall buildings, etc.); yet another to be on
"solid ground" and feel it move!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 9:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

Your reading audience is all over USA, Canada,
and some countries east of Atlantic Ocean.
Perhaps some more information is in order.
What state and nation, please?

Hope no one was injured, and damage was small.

Sorry 'bout that.
Since I am in So. Cal. I assume everyone here knows that. Afterall, I
was #8 in the post parade, no?

It was a 4.5 on the richter scale, and it was located about 4 miles
north-northwest of Banning, 6 miles northeast of Beaumont and 9 miles
east-southeast of Yucaipa, Southern California.
No one was injured.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgROiDoOrj0

There you go Stormy...more better?

Those wigwams hold up real good to earthquakes don't they there Chief? What about the poor horses? Did the ground shaking spook them real bad and make them stampede through your village? ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Injun Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y formulated the question :
The idea of the *ground* moving is just fascinating to me! It's one
thing to be on a man-made structure and experience motion (Harvard
Bridge, Royal Gorge Bridge, tall buildings, etc.); yet another to be on
"solid ground" and feel it move!

It IS an interesting experience! I remember a 6.2 shaker in 1970 when
the brand new freeway overpass in Northern Los Angeles fell. We were in
bed on the second floor when it hit, and I watched our building rock
back and forth, bang! bang! and the street rolled like waves for a good
2 minutes. It was fun!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 15:00:53 -0000, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 1/6/2016 9:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

Your reading audience is all over USA, Canada,
and some countries east of Atlantic Ocean.
Perhaps some more information is in order.
What state and nation, please?

Hope no one was injured, and damage was small.

Lost your google? He said "Lake Elsonore". How much more precise can you get?

--
I don't care what they say, I don't think "phone sex" is any fun at all, unless you happen to be in the same booth with her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 17:41:53 -0000, Eagle wrote:

Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

If you cancel a game due to weather, you're not taking the game seriously.

--
Why do they rate a movie "R" for "adult language?"
The only people I hear using that language are teenagers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 10:58 AM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y formulated the question :
The idea of the *ground* moving is just fascinating to me! It's one
thing to be on a man-made structure and experience motion (Harvard
Bridge, Royal Gorge Bridge, tall buildings, etc.); yet another to be on
"solid ground" and feel it move!

It IS an interesting experience! I remember a 6.2 shaker in 1970 when the brand
new freeway overpass in Northern Los Angeles fell. We were in bed on the second
floor when it hit, and I watched our building rock back and forth, bang! bang!
and the street rolled like waves for a good 2 minutes. It was fun!

The Harvard Bridge (Cambridge-Boston, MA) sort of "floats". When you
walk on it, passing traffic causes the bridge to "bounce". So, you have
this competing rhythm that screws up your walking pace; instead of "step,
step, step" it's "step - boing - step - boing, boing - step". It can
be disturbing the first time you encounter it.

The "roadway" of the Royal Gorge Bridge is built of *planks* laid on
steel supports. So, when the (occasional, touristy) car drives by, the
planks flex and lift you up a bit. As they are only ~10-12 inches wide,
you can visibly watch the ripple in the roadway as the car advances
past you. At ~1000ft to the river below, you really wish they'd opted
to use something other than LUMBER!!

I'd like to be in an open field (away from buildings that might tumble)
to experience an earthquake. To be able to *think* about what is
happening and "gather data" (observations) to try to rationalize what
my body would be feeling. (having to worry about my personal safety
would sort of hamper that!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eagle" writes:
Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

Or the bigger one in 1972 (Sylmar), which provided a set for
an episode of Mission Impossible (the hold VA hospital that
collapsed). There was also 1987 (Wittier Narrows, my first).

Or long beach in the 30's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 09:41:53 -0800, "Eagle"
wrote:

[...]

Someday CA is going to crack off from the rest of the U.S. and will then
become a country of their own. That's why they already have their own
political system which greatly varies from that of the rest of the U.S.
I always wondered why so many products say something like "this faucet
does not comply with California building codes because it contains
lead". That tells me that either anyone living in the other 49 states
are immune to the effects of lead, or else those in CA have weaaker
immune systems.

Once CA cracks off from the rest of the U.S. will they still be part of
the U.S. government, or will they become a separate nation, with it's
own president and laws?

This may sound far fetched, but it's not as crazy as it appears. Look at
the southern (or south American) part of CA that extends down into the
ocean. (I cant remember the name of that). It's obvious that piece of
land was once attached to the main body of South America, and broke off
somewhere in history, probably thousands of years ago.

Because of the placement of the plates (fault line) on the West coast,
it's not as crazy as it may seem, that eventually CA will break away
from the rest of the U.S. However, if you who live there think you'll
soon be free of Washington DC and it's politics, dont count on it. I
doubt any of this will occur in our lifetimes. But there will still
continue to be small and sometimes larger quakes along that fault line.

No matter where we live, there will always be the possibility of
disasters on Earth. If it's not earthquakes, it's tornados, hurricanes,
floods, and so on. And if the Earth itself dont do enough damage, it
appears that there will always be wars and man-made disasters because
people cant get along with each other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 11:37 AM, Don Y wrote:

(sigh) I suppose I will have to move to Calif sometime before dying
just so I can experience one! We had a mild tremor here a year or two
ago (epicenter on AZ/NM border) and it was just barely perceptible
("Hmmm... why is my monitor shaking?")

The one earthquake I felt, it was as if the
washing machine was in spin cycle, but there
was no load in the machine.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 1:03 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 15:00:53 -0000, Stormin Mormon
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough

Hope no one was injured, and damage was small.

Lost your google? He said "Lake Elsonore". How much more precise can
you get?

Yes, I set down my google last week, not
been able to find it since.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon used his keyboard to write :
On 1/6/2016 1:03 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 15:00:53 -0000, Stormin Mormon
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
Hope no one was injured, and damage was small.

Lost your google? He said "Lake Elsonore". How much more precise can
you get?

Yes, I set down my google last week, not
been able to find it since.

I hate it when that happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y submitted this idea :
I'd like to be in an open field (away from buildings that might tumble)
to experience an earthquake. To be able to *think* about what is
happening and "gather data" (observations) to try to rationalize what
my body would be feeling. (having to worry about my personal safety
would sort of hamper that!)

I don't think mother nature will satisfy your dream, Don... ^^
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

I know...a game is more important than some crack in the ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 1:11 PM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y submitted this idea :
I'd like to be in an open field (away from buildings that might tumble)
to experience an earthquake. To be able to *think* about what is
happening and "gather data" (observations) to try to rationalize what
my body would be feeling. (having to worry about my personal safety
would sort of hamper that!)

I don't think mother nature will satisfy your dream, Don... ^^

No, unlikely that I will find myself in a field for ANY reason!

OTOH, I *was* able to realize that the "shaking display" I
experienced was the result of an earthquake fast enough to be able
to make note of the experience! Folks who were asleep (or driving,
etc.) would have missed it entirely!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon explained :
On 1/6/2016 11:37 AM, Don Y wrote:

(sigh) I suppose I will have to move to Calif sometime before dying
just so I can experience one! We had a mild tremor here a year or two
ago (epicenter on AZ/NM border) and it was just barely perceptible
("Hmmm... why is my monitor shaking?")

The one earthquake I felt, it was as if the
washing machine was in spin cycle, but there
was no load in the machine.

Were you in the machine then?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y expressed precisely :
On 1/6/2016 1:11 PM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y submitted this idea :
I'd like to be in an open field (away from buildings that might tumble)
to experience an earthquake. To be able to *think* about what is
happening and "gather data" (observations) to try to rationalize what
my body would be feeling. (having to worry about my personal safety
would sort of hamper that!)

I don't think mother nature will satisfy your dream, Don... ^^

No, unlikely that I will find myself in a field for ANY reason!

OTOH, I *was* able to realize that the "shaking display" I
experienced was the result of an earthquake fast enough to be able
to make note of the experience! Folks who were asleep (or driving,
etc.) would have missed it entirely!

No sense waking up for the fast ones...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

If it isn't, then the game is pointless.

--
In 1977, researchers detected a strong radio signal from space that lasted 72 seconds. It hasn't been detected since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 3:09 PM, Eagle wrote:
Stormin Mormon used his keyboard to write :
On 1/6/2016 1:03 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 15:00:53 -0000, Stormin Mormon
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong
enough
Hope no one was injured, and damage was small.

Lost your google? He said "Lake Elsonore". How much more precise can
you get?

Yes, I set down my google last week, not
been able to find it since.

I hate it when that happens.

I don't remember names very well. And neither
locations, I guess. Southern Cal. Thanks, I'll
try and remember. Might need to remind me a
couple more times, my friend Elmer.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 3:18 PM, Eagle wrote:
Stormin Mormon explained :

The one earthquake I felt, it was as if the
washing machine was in spin cycle, but there
was no load in the machine.

Were you in the machine then?

No, heck, no. Why would I be in the washing
machine! I was in the clothes dryer, you
old goose.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 12:17:45 -0800, "Eagle"
wrote:

Some Californians are buying land east of the San Andreas fault right
now. When the big one hits and Cali slips off into the Pacific, they
will have beach front property to sell and be rich mofo's.

Vegas has odds the whole state falls into the ocean. In Nevada, we the
beach front property.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 9:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

I should have written tepees. Don't you have that racing horse named S-10? How's he doing? ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Hoarse Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster formulated on Wednesday :
On 1/6/2016 9:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

It's "C10" moonstar... ^^

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Some Californians are buying land east of the San Andreas fault right
now. When the big one hits and Cali slips off into the Pacific, they
will have beach front property to sell and be rich mofo's.

Vegas has odds the whole state falls into the ocean. In Nevada, we the
beach front property.

Think 'Island property' for those who slide off the mainland.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon explained on 1/6/2016 :
On 1/6/2016 3:18 PM, Eagle wrote:
Stormin Mormon explained :

The one earthquake I felt, it was as if the
washing machine was in spin cycle, but there
was no load in the machine.

Were you in the machine then?

No, heck, no. Why would I be in the washing
machine! I was in the clothes dryer, you
old goose.

Oh, OK. No wonder you have a dry sense of good humor, Stormy. :')

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 5:29 PM, Eagle wrote:
on 1/6/2016, Stormin Mormon supposed :
Yes, I set down my google last week, not
been able to find it since.

I hate it when that happens.

I don't remember names very well. And neither
locations, I guess. Southern Cal. Thanks, I'll
try and remember. Might need to remind me a
couple more times, my friend Elmer.

OK...Stormy...

Thanks, Elmer. I'm working on learning names.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 5:34 PM, Eagle wrote:
The one earthquake I felt, it was as if the
washing machine was in spin cycle, but there
was no load in the machine.

Were you in the machine then?

No, heck, no. Why would I be in the washing
machine! I was in the clothes dryer, you
old goose.

Oh, OK. No wonder you have a dry sense of good humor, Stormy. :')

I'm not known as one to fluff people. Just
fold right to the point.

Rough and tumble world, and it all comes out
in the wash.

My sense of humor tends the wild and zany.
But, I do try to keep it under control. Try;
just try. Barely, some times.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eagle" wrote in message ...
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

Several of these 3-4 ones around San Andreas in the last few days. A decent size shakers and few more mud slides and you might just have ocean front property!

earthquake retrofitting Randall Shimizu Home Repair 7 June 22nd 15 09:00 PM
DIY earthquake repairs .... Jim GM4DHJ ... UK diy 7 May 23rd 15 06:36 AM
earthquake valve engineman Metalworking 6 February 4th 09 04:02 AM
Earthquake Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 12 July 21st 08 04:19 PM
Earthquake Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 100 March 3rd 08 04:18 PM