Posted to alt.home.repair

Default earthquake retrofitting

I am thinking of doing some earthquake retrofitting to my house. The house is post pillar foundation. i am going to bolt down the foundation and install some straps.. I live in in SD and there is a fault roughly 7 miles from me. So I am thinking of reinforcing the studs Simpson straps. The walls are plaster so I am considering using a 10" hole cutter and then installing them that way. Will probably use wood screws with a hex head so I am not forced to swing a hammer. Will also install Simpson ties in the attic from the top. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations....?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 18:26:56 -0700 (PDT), Randall Shimizu
wrote:

Will probably use wood screws with a hex head

Lag screws, they're called. Right? Very useful. Home Depot has
some, among other places.

so I am not forc=
ed to swing a hammer. Will also install Simpson ties in the attic from the =
top. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations....?

Not me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 18:26:56 -0700 (PDT), Randall Shimizu
wrote in

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations....?

Looks like a good plan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Sounds like a hell of a lot of destructive work.
A 10" hole saw through plaster walls around the perimeter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 05:09:43 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 7:15:10 AM UTC-4, CRNG wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 18:26:56 -0700 (PDT), Randall Shimizu
wrote in

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations....?

Looks like a good plan.
--

Sounds like a hell of a lot of destructive work.
A 10" hole saw through plaster walls around the perimeter
of the whole house? In South Dakota? For me the cost/benefit
does not compute.

Agree. We had a 4.8 quake a few weeks ago through Vegas. My chair
rocked a tiny bit. Second quake in ~20 years. I'm supposed to have a
quake strap around my water heater. Lag bolted to the wall studs.

I'm defying the law

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am thinking of doing some earthquake retrofitting to my house.

The house is post pillar foundation. i am going to bolt down the
foundation and install some straps.. I live in in SD and there is a
fault roughly 7 miles from me. So I am thinking of reinforcing the
studs Simpson straps. The walls are plaster so I am considering using
a 10" hole cutter and then installing them that way. Will probably use
wood screws with a hex head so I am not forced to swing a hammer. Will
also install Simpson ties in the attic from the top. Anyone have any
thoughts or recommendations....?

-========
Will your insurance cover an earthquake? If not can you get coverage?
Is your concern damage to teh house or that you might be killed? If
it's damage to the house I'd just look for insurance coverage and
forget retrofits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 8:09:51 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 7:15:10 AM UTC-4, CRNG wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 18:26:56 -0700 (PDT), Randall Shimizu
wrote in

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations....?

Looks like a good plan.
--

Sounds like a hell of a lot of destructive work.
A 10" hole saw through plaster walls around the perimeter
of the whole house? In South Dakota? For me the cost/benefit
does not compute.

Any chance he's in San Diego rather than South Dakota? Post pillar
foundation sounds like warm-winter construction.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 12:43:07 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

Any chance he's in San Diego rather than South Dakota? Post pillar
foundation sounds like warm-winter construction.

Cindy Hamilton

http://www.fastcompany.com/3047043/tech-forecast/new-technology-claims-it-can-hover-buildings-before-earthquakes

https://tinyurl.com/pxx4khs

bolting and retrofitting Craig E Home Repair 37 February 26th 12 01:48 PM
CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors Sylvia Else[_2_] Electronics Repair 259 October 15th 11 05:48 AM
retrofitting a basement Jethro UK diy 18 September 12th 09 11:08 PM
Retrofitting wooden drawe Tomcat14 Home Repair 4 July 28th 03 05:32 PM