Posted to alt.home.repair

Default EARTHQUAKE

On 1/7/2016 2:29 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote :
On 1/7/2016 1:47 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote on 1/7/2016 :
On 1/7/2016 11:01 AM, Eagle wrote:

Really? Shakers in the midwest are very rair, at least they aren't
reported often. That's all you need...a windy and rainy storm with a
shaker and a mixer to boot. 8-o

We play dodge tornado quite often. When it's the season tracking them
street by street can be akin to a sport, even. lol

At least you can see a twister coming. You can't 'see' a quake.

We can't always see them and have to often rely on the weather reporters
or storm chasers for locations. Occasionally, a tv station will be
filming live from towers, so we can see when transformers blow up and
know about what street they're on.

Oh geeeeeez! Watching for blown up transformers to see what street gets
hit? 8-o Don't go outside when that happens or you'll be a fried Maggie!

We had a small one hit about 3/4 of a mile south from us and take the
roofs off a strip mall and some surrounding houses a couple years ago.
Another one jumped the river and sent north of us about 3/4 of a mile
north of us in the air then came back to the ground and took out a truck
stop NE of town.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2016 3:32 PM, Eagle wrote:
Tekkie® was thinking very hard :
My sense of humor tends the wild and zany.
But, I do try to keep it under control. Try;
just try. Barely, some times.

You do make Me smile and laugh Stormy...thanks for that.

He makes most of us cringe. I'm glad you have a better disposition
than I do...

I do here. I'm on the defense on another NG most of the time.

I used to be more active on alt.hvac, which I
fondly called alternating havoc. Know the
concept of being on the defense most of the
time. The folks on alternating havoc were not
very kind.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

After serious thinking Muggles wrote :
On 1/7/2016 2:29 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote :
On 1/7/2016 1:47 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote on 1/7/2016 :
[...]

Doesn't shake you up about a twister hitting your home? I think I'd
have a BIG room in the house that is twister proof. I'd prolly spend
most of our time in that room durring tornado season!
Earthquakes don't scare Me, but tornadoes do. :-? Maybe because we live
in a earthquake prone area?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon was thinking very hard :
On 1/7/2016 3:32 PM, Eagle wrote:
Tekkie® was thinking very hard :
My sense of humor tends the wild and zany.
But, I do try to keep it under control. Try;
just try. Barely, some times.

You do make Me smile and laugh Stormy...thanks for that.

He makes most of us cringe. I'm glad you have a better disposition
than I do...

I do here. I'm on the defense on another NG most of the time.

I used to be more active on alt.hvac, which I
fondly called alternating havoc. Know the
concept of being on the defense most of the
time. The folks on alternating havoc were not
very kind.

Same thing on scorched-earth. I have several of the people there in My
dungeon so I don't have to put up with the H&D. I can enjoy myself here
without the crappola.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2016 2:29 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote :
On 1/7/2016 1:47 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote on 1/7/2016 :
[...]

Earthquakes are rare here, and I would rather keep it that way, there
apparently have been some but they didn't affect me at all, only felt
one when I lived on the 17th floor of an apartment building many years
ago. Tornadoes are also rare, one or two every three of four years
within 100 miles or more, living on stable land and with relatively
non-violent weather does have its benefits.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2016 2:23 PM, Eagle wrote:

Doesn't shake you up about a twister hitting your home? I think I'd have a BIG
room in the house that is twister proof. I'd prolly spend most of our time in
that room durring tornado season!
Earthquakes don't scare Me, but tornadoes do. :-? Maybe because we live in a
earthquake prone area?

I think a lot of it has to do with *familiarity* with a risk.

Things with which you have no first-hand experience can conjure up
all sorts of nightmarish scenarios, in your imagination. OTOH,
practical exposure allows you to more accurately gauge those
risks in a REAL context.

Folks who've never encountered a cougar, rattlesnake, tarantula,
gila monster, poisonous spider, etc. might cringe at the thought.
In practice, you realize they aren't going to CHARGE you but,
rather, will shy away -- unless you provoke them! So, instead
of thinking that they are "lying in wait" for an unsuspecting "you"
to come along, you realize they're going to ignore you -- unless
you force them NOT to!

Coming to this realization WITHOUT direct experience is difficult.

Seeing the devastation of a "natural disaster" leaves your imagination
unconstrained to IMAGINE what it must have been like. In practice,
I suspect the appraisal is very different.
Posted to alt.home.repair

FrozenNorth explained :
On 1/7/2016 2:29 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote :
On 1/7/2016 1:47 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote on 1/7/2016 :
[...]

That's true. It gets very cold around Rapid City, so I limit My trips
there to spring time. I guess living in Southern California's warm
weather has Me spoiled. [earthquakes are an afterthought] ^^
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y was thinking very hard :
On 1/7/2016 2:23 PM, Eagle wrote:

Doesn't shake you up about a twister hitting your home? I think I'd have a
BIG
room in the house that is twister proof. I'd prolly spend most of our time
in
that room durring tornado season!
Earthquakes don't scare Me, but tornadoes do. :-? Maybe because we live in
earthquake prone area?

I think a lot of it has to do with *familiarity* with a risk.

Things with which you have no first-hand experience can conjure up
all sorts of nightmarish scenarios, in your imagination. OTOH,
practical exposure allows you to more accurately gauge those
risks in a REAL context.

Interesting thought. )

Folks who've never encountered a cougar, rattlesnake, tarantula,
gila monster, poisonous spider, etc. might cringe at the thought.
In practice, you realize they aren't going to CHARGE you but,
rather, will shy away -- unless you provoke them! So, instead
of thinking that they are "lying in wait" for an unsuspecting "you"
to come along, you realize they're going to ignore you -- unless
you force them NOT to!

I'm thinking I wouldn't want to be anywhere NEAR a Grizzly bear!

Coming to this realization WITHOUT direct experience is difficult.

I'm not sure I would agree with that.

Seeing the devastation of a "natural disaster" leaves your imagination
unconstrained to IMAGINE what it must have been like. In practice,
I suspect the appraisal is very different.

Try living through a BIG tornado, or something like Hurricane Catrina,
or an earthquake that does several BILLION dollars in damage and think
that Don. :/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2016 2:56 PM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y was thinking very hard :
On 1/7/2016 2:23 PM, Eagle wrote:

[...]

But most of the consequences of those events are related to how
well the support systems addressed the AFTER EFFECTS or failures
of man-made structures brought about by the event. E.g., had NOLA
been ABOVE sea level, most of the fatalities there would not have
occurred. The storm, itself, didn't kill those people; the failure
of levees meant to keep the sea water out of the low-lying wards
did!

How often do you see *bodies* littering the area of a storm/disaster?

Last year, ~30 people died as a direct result of tornados. Despite
all the *power* that they unleashed! 1000 times more people died in
the same period due to automobile accidents -- almost the same
number as lost their lives to guns! Bundle up the energy expended
in all of those car crashes (or gunshots) and compare it to the
energy in *one* tornado...

What you *see* in the media is the devastation that these events
leave behind. And, *imagine* that the "human cost" must have been
tremendous! It is -- but in the *aftermath*, not the event itself!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2016 2:29 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote :

[...]

I've been scared with close calls several times. I get in the bedroom
closet and bring the dog in there with me along with some flashlights,
my phone, and anything else I might think I need at the time.

Last spring I came home and there was a combination of super cells that
were converging on the city coming from 3 different directions. Down
town got hit with gustnado's, and one small tornado, and I was tracking
it all via 2 tv stations weather reports. Things seemed to be calming
down and I got up and looked out my back window and saw the clouds
moving away from me North pretty fast. OK ... all is well, I thought. A
few minutes later I went back and looked again and the clouds had
reversed direction and were coming straight at me going south and
spinning counter clockwise over the house. At first I thought "how
beautiful", and then I thought "OH CRAP! This CAN'T be good!!" and
headed straight for the closet with the dog. We were hit with heavy
hail about 10 seconds after I got in the closet, but no tornado. Later
I found out that what I was seeing was those 3 different super cells
converging on each other and the clouds were spinning like crazy because
of it.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2016 3:48 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/7/2016 2:23 PM, Eagle wrote:

[...]

We've had about 6 close calls during tornado season. All we can do is
pay attention to where the storms are and what direction they're moving,
but when they're coming straight for us you decide just how much you
believe in prayer. The best hiding place in a house is a room with no
outside walls or windows. We have one tiny coat closet that fits that
description and the door doesn't latch tight on it. Probably one small
person could squat down in it. The other choice is the bedroom closet,
but it's on a west facing wall. The house is built in an L shape and
the closet would be located on the inside corner of the L. Me, the
hubby, and the dog would fit in that one, but if a strong F5 or F4
tornado hit our house we'd be lucky if there was anything left, but
strange things happen and sometimes a twister will take part of a house
and not touch something else.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2016 11:23 AM, Eagle wrote:
Bill Gill formulated on Thursday :
On 1/6/2016 8:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

Well, I believe Oklahoma is now ahead of California in the number of
earth quakes. Yesterday they had about a dozen up in North Central
Oklahoma. That's talking greater than 3.5. We have only had a
couple greater than 5. Ask the oil companies and they will tell you
that using injection wells to dispose of the water used in fracking
has nothing to do with it.

I personally have only felt 2 of them here in Tulsa but the TV stations
get calls all the time when they happen. There was some damage over
around Edmond in Central Oklahoma last week. At least one home lost
a chimney.

Bill

Are you in the 405 area Bill? I watch "STREET OUTLAWS" all the time. :')

918 area. Tulsa is in NE Oklahoma about 100 miles NNE of Oklahoma City.
We haven't been getting the actual quakes, just getting shaken up some.
The 5.4 about 2 or 3 years ago did cause some damage in this area.

And the count for today is now up around 30 quakes in North Central
Oklahoma.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 10:55:54 AM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster brought next idea :
On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 11:23:10 AM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:
Stormin Mormon explained on 1/6/2016 :
On 1/6/2016 9:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong enough
to wake up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

Your reading audience is all over USA, Canada,
and some countries east of Atlantic Ocean.
Perhaps some more information is in order.
What state and nation, please?

Hope no one was injured, and damage was small.

Sorry 'bout that.
Since I am in So. Cal. I assume everyone here knows that. Afterall, I
was #8 in the post parade, no?

It was a 4.5 on the richter scale, and it was located about 4 miles
north-northwest of Banning, 6 miles northeast of Beaumont and 9 miles
east-southeast of Yucaipa, Southern California.
No one was injured.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgROiDoOrj0

There you go Stormy...more better?

Those wigwams hold up real good to earthquakes don't they there Chief? What
about the poor horses? Did the ground shaking spook them real bad and make
them stampede through your village? ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Injun Monster

Did you write this post Uncle M?

Who else is gonna pick on and tease my Autochthonous American pal. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Horrible Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 2:18:30 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jan 2016 11:50:22 -0800, "Eagle"
wrote:

I guess you missed my 'intended' sarcasm about betting odds.

Doing sarcasm is hard to translate to text IMO. I think that is the
reason for emoticons, no? ^^

Emoticons are for inarticulate ****ers.

I've never see an inarticulate, is it a mammal? What does it look like? How many legs does it have? Where exactly are its sex organs located? Do they come in just male and female or do confused gender versions exist? Why would anyone want to have sex with an inarticulate? They must be very strange creatures. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Confused Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 2:25:20 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
Eagle posted for all of us...

It happens that Stormin Mormon formulated :
On 1/6/2016 5:34 PM, Eagle wrote:
The one earthquake I felt, it was as if the
washing machine was in spin cycle, but there
was no load in the machine.

Were you in the machine then?

No, heck, no. Why would I be in the washing
machine! I was in the clothes dryer, you
old goose.

Oh, OK. No wonder you have a dry sense of good humor, Stormy. :')

I'm not known as one to fluff people. Just
fold right to the point.

Rough and tumble world, and it all comes out
in the wash.

My sense of humor tends the wild and zany.
But, I do try to keep it under control. Try;
just try. Barely, some times.

You do make Me smile and laugh Stormy...thanks for that.

He makes most of us cringe. I'm glad you have a better disposition than I
do...
--
Tekkie

What's wrong with Bizarro Stormy? He would never harm anyone over a disagreement or wish death and destruction upon someone with diametrically opposed beliefs unless that person wished to harm you or anyone else who refused to or failed to kowtow to their way of thinking. BS likes to BS and produce copious amounts of silly puns. How is poking fun at humanity cringe-worthy? I do it all the time and no one has ever been harmed because of it. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Cringe Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2016 12:46 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 2:25:20 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
Eagle posted for all of us...

You do make Me smile and laugh Stormy...thanks for that.

He makes most of us cringe. I'm glad you have a better disposition than I
do...
--
Tekkie

What's wrong with Bizarro Stormy? He would never

harm anyone over a disagreement or wish death and
destruction upon someone with diametrically opposed
beliefs unless that person wished to harm you or
anyone else who refused to or failed to kowtow to
their way of thinking. BS likes to BS and produce
copious amounts of silly puns. How is poking fun at
humanity cringe-worthy? I do it all the time and
no one has ever been harmed because of it. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Cringe Monster

Other than those baby seals, I've never killed
any mammal. I do own a fly swatter, and have
been known to whap flies to death.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote: "We've had tornadoes, have weakened hurricanes come through, and now
we're getting regular earth quakes, too. "

Big Mama Earth is waking up - and she's ****ED!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyone ever caught sitting on the mailbox
when a quake presented itself? Bet you
dropped three days worth o' mail when
that happened!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster expressed precisely :
On 1/6/2016 9:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

I had to look up "Autochthonous". I guess that makes Me born and bred
on Turtle Island, Eh? ^^
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 1/7/2016, Muggles supposed :
On 1/7/2016 3:48 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/7/2016 2:23 PM, Eagle wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't a room with 2 foot thick reinforced concrete walls and cieling
built in the center of the house be the best place to ride out a
tornado?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles expressed precisely :
On 1/7/2016 2:29 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote :

[...]

Can you get tornado insurance where you live Maggie? If so, is it
expensive?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster explained :
wrote:

I guess you missed my 'intended' sarcasm about betting odds.

Doing sarcasm is hard to translate to text IMO. I think that is the
reason for emoticons, no? ^^

Emoticons are for inarticulate ****ers.

I've never see an inarticulate, is it a mammal? What does it look like? How
many legs does it have? Where exactly are its sex organs located? Do they
come in just male and female or do confused gender versions exist? Why would
anyone want to have sex with an inarticulate? They must be very strange
creatures. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Confused Monster

They are related to one eyed one horned flying purple people eaters
Uncle M....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Gill has brought this to us :
On 1/6/2016 8:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

Wow. We never hear about quakes in Oklahoma out here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2016 10:46 AM, Eagle wrote:
on 1/7/2016, Muggles supposed :
On 1/7/2016 3:48 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/7/2016 2:23 PM, Eagle wrote:

[...]

I'm sure it would, but it'd be an expensive remodel.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2016 2:29 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote :

[...]

I'm pretty sure it's covered by "acts of God".

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles posted for all of us...

I've been scared with close calls several times. I get in the bedroom
closet and bring the dog in there with me along with some flashlights,
my phone, and anything else I might think I need at the time.

What has your experience been with cell phone usage after a storm?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

wrote:

I guess you missed my 'intended' sarcasm about betting odds.

Doing sarcasm is hard to translate to text IMO. I think that is the
reason for emoticons, no? ^^

Emoticons are for inarticulate ****ers.

I've never see an inarticulate, is it a mammal? What does it look like? How many legs does it have? Where exactly are its sex organs located? Do they come in just male and female or do confused gender versions exist? Why would anyone want to have sex with an inarticulate? They must be very strange creatures. ?.?

[8~{} Uncle Confused Monster

No stranger then some here...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles has brought this to us :
On 1/7/2016 3:48 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/7/2016 2:23 PM, Eagle wrote:

[...]

I would figure in that expense with the mortgage, but that's just Me.
As far as shakers go, having a concrete box in the middle of the house
for shelter would be a trap IMO. Getting outside and away from the
street lighting and transformer boxes would be My move.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles explained on 1/8/2016 :
On 1/7/2016 2:29 PM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles wrote :

[...]

Does 'god' [small g] take dollars or pounds? :')
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 5:34 PM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

Because it is you Unc I will reiterate my objections.

Over in alt.hvac he claimed to be a tech. He gave out information that could
hurt or kill someone, frequently. He would sell used parts out of his van as
new. As a locksmith he admitted to ripping old people off, breaking jams if
necessary.

Research his postings over the years there and here. These are the ones I
remember now. I won't have anything to do with such a person. I have KF him..
As I see some of his posts carried through he is still pulling his act;
expert when posting-innocent when caught. He refuses to learn.

I cannot discern whether he is troll or idiot. I try to warn people away,
that is the best I can do.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 21:31:00 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

Emoticons are for inarticulate ****ers.

I've never see an inarticulate, is it a mammal? What does it look like? How many legs does it have? Where exactly are its sex organs located? Do they come in just male and female or do confused gender versions exist? Why would anyone want to have sex with an inarticulate? They must be very strange creatures. ?.?

[8~{} Uncle Confused Monster

Yeah. One of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2016 1:50 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Muggles posted for all of us...

I've been scared with close calls several times. I get in the bedroom
closet and bring the dog in there with me along with some flashlights,
my phone, and anything else I might think I need at the time.

What has your experience been with cell phone usage after a storm?

I haven't have any cell phone outages or issues after a storm, but I
also wasn't in an area directly hit by a tornado, either. The closest
I've been is about 2 miles from a hit.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 6:05:07 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.

U R sow E vull. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Killer Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 5:34 PM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

Well, I've never witnessed any of those transgressions or bad behavior. SM has never been nasty to me even though we pick on and tease each other. My policy is to hate everyone equally until they give me a reason not to. I judge people on how they treat me or on the way I see them treat others. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Despicable Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster explained :
wrote:

I guess you missed my 'intended' sarcasm about betting odds.

Doing sarcasm is hard to translate to text IMO. I think that is the
reason for emoticons, no? ^^

Emoticons are for inarticulate ****ers.

I've never see an inarticulate, is it a mammal? What does it look like? How
many legs does it have? Where exactly are its sex organs located? Do they
come in just male and female or do confused gender versions exist? Why would
anyone want to have sex with an inarticulate? They must be very strange
creatures. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Confused Monster

They are related to one eyed one horned flying purple people eaters
Uncle M....

Do they do "The Monster Mash"? ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Ancient Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 9:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
[...]

Is that "Turtle" or "Turdle"? You're a bit slow aren't you? ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fecal Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Emoticons are for inarticulate ****ers.

I've never see an inarticulate, is it a mammal? What does it look like? How many legs does it have? Where exactly are its sex organs located? Do they come in just male and female or do confused gender versions exist? Why would anyone want to have sex with an inarticulate? They must be very strange creatures. ?.?

[8~{} Uncle Confused Monster

Yeah. One of them.

I love Usenet! ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ \(—¦'Œ£'—¦)/ヽ(^o^)ノヽ(ヅ)ノ(ノ^_^)ノ†–(^–½^)†—t(ム„)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Articulate Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2016 1:31 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 10:03:27 PM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:

They are related to one eyed one horned flying purple people eaters
Uncle M....

Do they do "The Monster Mash"? ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Ancient Monster

Many years ago, I got a stuffed doll which
plays Monster Mash if you squeeze its hand.

Still have it, and still play the music now
and again.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2016 1:29 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Maybe you have not what wasn't actually there?
The regular posters on alternating havoc really
impolite to me over a period of years. It is
very possible they took any thing they could, and
twisted it to appear what it wasn't.

And maybe I'm neither a troll nor an idiot, except
in this one person's mind.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 8:46:43 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Neither of you has harmed me so I hate you both. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Hateful Monster

earthquake retrofitting Randall Shimizu Home Repair 7 June 22nd 15 09:00 PM
DIY earthquake repairs .... Jim GM4DHJ ... UK diy 7 May 23rd 15 06:36 AM
earthquake valve engineman Metalworking 6 February 4th 09 04:02 AM
Earthquake Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 12 July 21st 08 04:19 PM
Earthquake Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 100 March 3rd 08 04:18 PM