Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default earthquake valve

Several days ago I accidentally cracked the flexible gas line leading
into my home.
I called the gas co. to shut it off.
There was a strange looking valve on my gas line just beyond the
meter.
I asked the service man what it was and he said it was an earthquake
valve to shut the gas off in case of an earthquake.
The next day I replaced the line and turned the gas on but there was
no flow.
I called the gas co. to get them to find the problem and there was a
different service man.
He looked at the valve and said "what's that".
I was surprised that he didn't recognize an earthquake valve.
He said he'd never seen one like that.
He couldn't reset it so he took it off.
Later I looked up earthquake valves on Google and could not find one
that looks like mine.
It says "Quakemaster 75" on it but that was no help.
Does anyone know how it works and how to reset it?
I live in Ca. and they are always telling us that the big one is
coming so I'd like to get it working and reinstall it.
Engineman
http://www.photoworks.com/albums/pic...toh=&svr=web17
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

engineman wrote:
Several days ago I accidentally cracked the flexible gas line leading
into my home.
I called the gas co. to shut it off.
There was a strange looking valve on my gas line just beyond the
meter.
I asked the service man what it was and he said it was an earthquake
valve to shut the gas off in case of an earthquake.

You could have shut it off yourself by giving the seismic valve a sharp
rap...Useful if the house has a fire too, rap the valve and the gas is off.

The next day I replaced the line and turned the gas on but there was
no flow.
I called the gas co. to get them to find the problem and there was a
different service man.
He looked at the valve and said "what's that".
I was surprised that he didn't recognize an earthquake valve.
He said he'd never seen one like that.
He couldn't reset it so he took it off.
Later I looked up earthquake valves on Google and could not find one
that looks like mine.
It says "Quakemaster 75" on it but that was no help.
Does anyone know how it works and how to reset it?

Here's a cut away view of one that looks similar to yours.
http://www.seismo.unr.edu/nesc/eamw/gas.pdf

I live in Ca. and they are always telling us that the big one is
coming so I'd like to get it working and reinstall it.
Engineman
http://www.photoworks.com/albums/pic...toh=&svr=web17

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:10:23 -0800 (PST), engineman
wrote:

[...]

Not the same, but does it reset like this one?
www.seismo.unr.edu/nesc/eamw/gas.pdf

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thats one Ive not see before. Most of them typically have a ball
balanced over a valve seat and when shaken, the ball falls onto the
valve seat and must be reset by an external lever. Yours appears to be
a counter weight that triggers a needle or valve seat. I think if you
pull the top off, you should figure it out easily. They are pretty
simple devices for the most part.

http://www.socalgas.com/safety/valves.html

My particular earthquake valve was made by KOSO (now California Valve)
http://www.earthquake-valves.com/Hor...izontalval.htm
Made in Palmdale, California on machine tools I used to service until
they upgraded.

Anyways..works well, only had one trip..and it was a 4.1 about 15 miles
away.

Reset easily, no harm no foul.

Cheap protection

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I live in Ca. and they are always telling us that the big one is
coming so I'd like to get it working and reinstall it.
Engineman

Btw...those that live in the Midwest...in the area of the New Madrid
Fault...should have these as well.

Their BIG ONE is coming as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PG&E just put in a high pressure line in front of my house in San
Francisco. The earthquake valve they installed was located between the
HP line and the exterior shutoff valve and buried in the street. It was
about 6" long 2" in dia. with hemispherical ends. They said it would
have to be reset by back pressure. It was interesting that all of the
exterior connections other than that to the HP line were slip fit!

Chuck P.