Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_7_] Muggles[_7_] is offline

Default EARTHQUAKE

On 1/7/2016 11:01 AM, Eagle wrote:
Muggles presented the following explanation :
On 1/6/2016 11:53 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/6/2016 10:41 AM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong
enough to wake
up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

(sigh) I suppose I will have to move to Calif sometime before dying
just so I can experience one! We had a mild tremor here a year or two
ago (epicenter on AZ/NM border) and it was just barely perceptible
("Hmmm... why is my monitor shaking?")

Would also like to try a hurricane -- but NOT a tornado! :

Everyone in the mid west think earthquakes are the reason they will
never go to
So. Cal. but I think the tornadoes the mid west have to deal with is
way more
destructive than the earthquakes we get here in Southern California.
That's not
to say earthquakes aren't destructive or scarry, they most certainly
are, but
the damage from earthquakes compared to tornado damage or cyclone
[hurricane]
damage is small. Yes, there have been some real nasty shakers here in
the past
like the Loma Prieta quake in 1989.

Tornados tend to be highly localized (and, only strike trailer parks!
: ).
Hurricanes being much broader in their impact (and, usually flood damage
instead of the "percussive" damage from flying stuff)

A friend rode out Andrew ('92) and said it was an interesting
experience.
I think having to cower in an interior room would sort of defeat the
experience... all you'd (hopefully!) experience was noise and some
shaking -- wouldn't be able to SEE what was happening.

I was watching the world series game in Oakland California when it
hit. That
shut down the game, and among other damage, destroyed the Nimitz
Freeway
(Interstate 880), just south of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.

Then there was the big one that hit Los Angeles in 1994;
"On this day in 1994, an earthquake rocks Los Angeles, California,
killing 54
people and causing billions of dollars in damages. The Northridge
quake (named
after the San Fernando Valley community near the epicenter) was one of
the most
damaging in U.S. history."

We are waiting for "The Big One" to hit here still...

Supposedly, the New Madrid fault just due south of IL has some potential
for significant damage. OTOH, the populations affected, there, aren't
what they would be in (anywhere!) Calif.

The idea of the *ground* moving is just fascinating to me! It's one
thing to be on a man-made structure and experience motion (Harvard
Bridge, Royal Gorge Bridge, tall buildings, etc.); yet another to be on
"solid ground" and feel it move!

We've had tornadoes, have weakened hurricanes come through, and now
we're getting regular earth quakes, too.

Really? Shakers in the midwest are very rair, at least they aren't
reported often. That's all you need...a windy and rainy storm with a
shaker and a mixer to boot. 8-o

We play dodge tornado quite often. When it's the season tracking them
street by street can be akin to a sport, even. lol

--
Maggie