Posted to alt.home.repair
Eagle[_6_] Eagle[_6_] is offline

Default EARTHQUAKE

It happens that Muggles formulated :
On 1/6/2016 11:41 AM, Eagle wrote:
Don Y wrote :
On 1/6/2016 7:53 AM, Eagle wrote:
At 6:41AM PST a shaker hit the Lake Elsonore area. It was strong
enough to wake
up the 'hood, but noone got out of bed.
yawn

(sigh) I suppose I will have to move to Calif sometime before dying
just so I can experience one! We had a mild tremor here a year or two
ago (epicenter on AZ/NM border) and it was just barely perceptible
("Hmmm... why is my monitor shaking?")

Would also like to try a hurricane -- but NOT a tornado! :

Everyone in the mid west think earthquakes are the reason they will
never go to So. Cal. but I think the tornadoes the mid west have to deal
with is way more destructive than the earthquakes we get here in
Southern California. That's not to say earthquakes aren't destructive or
scarry, they most certainly are, but the damage from earthquakes
compared to tornado damage or cyclone [hurricane] damage is small. Yes,
there have been some real nasty shakers here in the past like the Loma
Prieta quake in 1989.

http://www.history.com/topics/1989-s...sco-earthquake

I was watching the world series game in Oakland California when it hit.
That shut down the game, and among other damage, destroyed the Nimitz
Freeway (Interstate 880), just south of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay
Bridge.

Then there was the big one that hit Los Angeles in 1994;
"On this day in 1994, an earthquake rocks Los Angeles, California,
killing 54 people and causing billions of dollars in damages. The
Northridge quake (named after the San Fernando Valley community near the
epicenter) was one of the most damaging in U.S. history."

We are waiting for "The Big One" to hit here still...
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...ks-los-angeles

There's a new movie out called San Andreas about the "big one". I
haven't seen it yet, though.

First I've heard about it. I'll see what's on the interweb about it.
Thanks Maggie!