Abe

I thought "Muslim" referred to a religion, not a race. The largest
population of Muslims is in Asia, not the Middle East, so who is the OP
being racist against? You could stretch the definition of "racist" to
religion, I know, but it is a real stretch in this case, IMO.

------------------
You are quite right. I think the OP really meant to say Muslim
extremists with identifiably middle eastern features.

Matthew

If memory serves correctly, Timothy McVeigh, who was responsible for an
awful lot of deaths, was neither Muslim or from the Middle East.

Matthew

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Stephen M"
wrote:
And you're one serious racist.

What, exactly, is racist in stating the _plain_fact_ that all of the
acts

of
terrorism cited were indeed committed by Muslim male extremists mostly

between
the ages of 17 and 40?

He meant biggot.

What's wrong with it is the implied conclusion that all muslims are
murderers and/or terrorists.

There is no such conclusion implied. You're looking at this from the wrong
direction. It is obviously incorrect to suppose that all Muslims are
terrorists; however, it is equally obvious that nearly all terrorists are
Muslims, primarily Muslims from the middle east. And thus, if you're
trying to
find terrorists, it clearly makes more sense to look for them among middle
eastern Muslims than among Scandinavian Christians or southeast Asian
Buddhists.

--
Regards,

Abe

Abe, no offense and I am not trying to be grammar/spelling cop here, but
if you really meant 'died' vs 'dyed' it would mean that there wasn't a
compassionate conservative nearby willing to pull you out of the wool
and save your life? G

Well, it was late. Sorry bout that.

In my business dealings I have discovered that there are assholes
amongst all races and colours and religions and ages and genders.

In my business dealings I have discovered that there are wonderful
people amongst all races and colours and religions and ages and genders.

It's MY job to sort them out.

Could not have said it better myself.

mp

I thought "Muslim" referred to a religion, not a race. The largest
population of Muslims is in Asia, not the Middle East, so who is the OP
being racist against? You could stretch the definition of "racist" to
religion, I know, but it is a real stretch in this case, IMO.

Even though the OP used the word Muslim, I read his message as referring to
middle eastern Arabs, not Muslim men in general.

mp

With what these Musslims do to innocent people as "actual" compared to
what
the Nazis merely "thought" (and still think) of the Jews, if this so
entirely for
real and as dangerous as death to innocents, then I don't see why not.
This is
an emergency!!!

Then dial 911.

no spam

Koran Verse 8:12

Don't be deceived by the Muslim apologists in this group. The Koran speaks
for itself.

[8.12] "When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make
firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who
disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip
of them."

Rob Mitchell

What you are missing is the concept of the ability of a test to
discriminate in the objective, rather than the political sense.

How many Muslim men between the ages of 17 and 40 fly on airliners
each year? Twenty, Thirty, Fourty million perhaps? If you use
'Muslim man between the age of 17 and 40' as a screening criterion
you're literally playing a million to one shot. Besides, I
don't think anyone's passport, visa or driver's license is
going to say 'Muslim' on it.

Aside from that, if it is known that security is concentrating
on a particular 'type' then any potential perpetrator will simply
avoid appearing like that type and so will then have a smaller
chance of being caught. Most 'Muslim men between 17 and 40'
could easily pass for Italians, Greeks, Spainards, Armenians,
Cypriots, etc, or some other religious persuation.

In some respects, this is like pre-employment drug screening.
If the testing really has a deterrant effect, then the only
positive tests will be false positives because no drug addicts
will take the test.

I don't think that racial profiling will go away. The problem as you
point out is that it is a very long shot. The risk and damage to honest
people in society should not be underestimated.

There is a case in Canada where a 'Muslim Canadian citizen, 17 -40 yrs
old', educated and living in Canada with a wife and kids was seized in
NY after returning from Tunisia. He had to stop in NY because if you
fly on a US carrier, you stop in the US on your way back to Canada. He
had to clear US customs, and was detained. There were apparently some
discussions between US and Canadian 'authorities' who branded him a
dangerous terrorist and after holding him without communication for 2
weeks, had him deported to Syria (the country of his birth, he left
when he was 17). In Syria he was put in prison and tortured repeatedly,
confessing all kinds of nonsense.

see
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/arar/

Eventually the Syrians figured out that he didn't really know anything
and sent him back to Canada. There was no evidence against this man, no
trial, no legal rights at all, for a Canadian citizen who was kidnapped
by our governments and sent to a 3rd state for the express purpose of
being tortured. (isn't torture illegal?) He has never been charged
with any offence, even after returning! If the 'authorities' thought he
was so dangerous, why is he walking around Ottawa today? Canadian and
US 'authorities' pointed fingers for awhile, then it died down. After
all, it only happened to a Muslim. The authorities are covering their
behinds, destroying documents and claiming 'national security'.

What have we all lost. What if it happened to you?

On my way back from Boston, I was in the airport. I'd switched to an
earlier flight because my meetings ended early. For some reason at the
counter, the person made a mistake typing in my information and thought
I was someone named (something like) Joe Whiteboy/Srinivanthan (yes, my
boarding pass actually had the slash and the Srinivanthan is accurate)
They kept my passport, and ordered me to take my luggage on a cart to
the side and wait. My luggage was to be CT scanned, all of it, and
special security officials waited with me. After a moment, I looked at
my boarding pass, saw the error and pointed it out to them. They
checked, saw their error, gave me a new boarding pass, my passport, took
my bags for loading and said "have a nice day". No CT scan, no
checking, nothing. Thank God my name is Joe Whiteboy and not
Srinivanthan, or perhaps I'd be in Sri Lanka being tortured.

We are in a war, a ground war, and a war of ideas. We should be
vigilant to ensure that buildings and airplanes don't blow up. That may
require some infringement on rights, but where are the checks and
balances to make sure that innocent people are not harmed? Innocent
until proven guilty in a court of law? LOL. Many non-white citizens in
our countries no longer have that right.

For every one of those horrible acts listed by the OP, I could list
imperialist aggression by us, acts that cost 10 times as many innocent
lives. ( The Isrealis which are really just us on vacation in
Palestine; most Isrealis were European/American/Canadian 2 generations
ago.) Until we start to look at the problem with some balance it will
never be solved. Unfortunately all the OP does is present easy to
handle 'facts' without challenging people to think about why this is
happening. Until we start to look at the problem objectively it will
never be solved.

Joe Whiteboy

Rob Mitchell

AAvK wrote:

Yeah...heh heh...if you only knew what the Q'uran involves in it's doctrine for
"real muslim religion"... those terrorists are doing what it says, as learning
from the Q'uran. Much of that doctrine adds up to the conclusions they come
to do in anti-human actions as justified in Islam, based on what that book says.
If one is a Christian or a Jew or an idol worshiper or a Buddhist then they are
"the enemy" and deserve to die. Just because the Q'uran says so... that is a part
of it.

I invite you to read the Qu'ran, and study it's meaning. You might be
surprised, and you would surely be better informed.

Rob Mitchell

Intersting example considering Muslim extremists do not allow women voting
rights or basically any rights beyond what cattle have in the year 2005.

Women vote in Iran don't they? They go to school and become Doctors
don't they? Check your facts. I'm not claiming that the Islamic world
is perfect, but please try to be accurate.

Doug Miller

In article , Rob Mitchell wrote:

I think we should stop using the word terrorist because it conotes good
vs. bad.

I believe that we should continue to use the word "terrorist" precisely
because it does connote bad as opposed to good. Or do you mean to suggest that
the mass murder of two thousand eight hundred some civilians one Tuesday
morning in September was a morally neutral act? I don't agree. I believe that
was an *evil* act, and our choice of words in referring to its perpetrators
should reflect that.

Try the word enemy.

How about the word "murderer"?

We have enemies.

Yes, we do. Among them are radical Islamic terrorists.

[moral relativism and blame-America nonsense snipped]

--
Regards,

Dave Balderstone

In article , Rob Mitchell
wrote:

I think we should stop using the word terrorist because it conotes good
vs. bad.

"Someone who does not know the difference between good and evil is
worth nothing." -- Miecyslaw Kasprzyk, Polish rescuer of Jews during
the Holocaust, New York Times, Jan. 30, 2005
Doug Winterburn

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:33:55 -0500, Rob Mitchell wrote:

I think we should stop using the word terrorist because it conotes good
vs. bad. Try the word enemy. We have enemies. In any war the two sides
are enemies. To the British, the IRA are terrorists who kill innocent
people. To some Irish people, they are just fighting to get rid of the
oppressors and are justified. Take your pick. Same with Tamils, or
Isrealis, same in the Sudan or Nigeria or...

Ask yourself why the enemy is attacking you and ask if we have harmed them
in any way, and we might be able to figure out how to stop the conflict,
or we might decide we need to fight harder.

BTW, the 'stop lists' contain more than just Muslims, as I found out.

I don't think we should ask why they are what they are or why they do
what they do, I think that rather than calling them "terrorists", we
should call them "Murderous assholes" and we should strive with all haste
to eradicate them, where ever they can be found. They are a cancer on the
human condition. Sorry if this isn't "PC" enough.

- Doug

Doug Miller

In article , Rob Mitchell wrote:

Intersting example considering Muslim extremists do not allow women voting
rights or basically any rights beyond what cattle have in the year 2005.

Women vote in Iran don't they? They go to school and become Doctors
don't they? Check your facts. I'm not claiming that the Islamic world
is perfect, but please try to be accurate.

They certainly *used* to, under the Shah. I don't think they do any more....

--
Regards,

Rob Mitchell wrote:

I think we should stop using the word terrorist because it conotes

good
vs. bad. Try the word enemy. We have enemies.

I never accepted the term because they want others to be terrified.
I call them paramilitary organizations and argue that they should be
held to the same standards as regular military--especially the doctrine
of command respnsibility.

BTW, the 'stop lists' contain more than just Muslims, as I found out.

Senator Ted Kennedy has been detained at airports several times
evidently becuase T. Kennedy is one of hte names on the stop list.
--

FF

mp

I don't think we should ask why they are what they are or why they do
what they do, I think that rather than calling them "terrorists", we
should call them "Murderous assholes" and we should strive with all haste
to eradicate them, where ever they can be found. They are a cancer on the
human condition. Sorry if this isn't "PC" enough.

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

You simply cannot eradicate terrorism without first eliminating the root
causes.

mac davis

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:53:06 +0100, "no spam"
wrote:

Koran Verse 8:12

Don't be deceived by the Muslim apologists in this group. The Koran speaks
for itself.

[8.12] "When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make
firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who
disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip
of them."

you can take any written word, especially the bible, and find
something in it to prove whatever point you have at the moment...

The bottom line for me is that there are lugnuts in every race and
religion... and to say that any one religion is good or bad or has
good or bad people in it is a personal opinion, not a fact..

The other choice, of course, is to kill 'em all and let (insert name
of who/what ever you might or might not worship) sort 'em out..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Rob Mitchell

Doug Miller wrote:

They certainly *used* to, under the Shah. I don't think they do any more....

--
Regards,

I'm not an expert, but I believe women were granted the right to vote
and hold office in Iran in 1963 (under the Shah). For a more recent
status see

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6856181/

Women can vote and hold public office. However recently there has been
a setback in that women won't be allowed to run for the Presidency in
June. Initially it appeared that they would. That's too bad because
perhaps Iran could have had a female president before the US has one.
Things change slowly in all male dominated societies.
..
Rob

Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 05:22:29 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:

(Doug Miller) wrote in
news
In article , take out
'takeout' to reply wrote:

But on the original question: What do you think the impact would be if
every Arab or Muslim were pulled out of line at the airport and given
a special search?

One obvious result is that we'd catch more terrorists....

Do you really think all of the terrorists are going to be going through JFK
customs wearing their red and white ghutras and carrying their Korans?

No, but I certainly don't think that they are 90 year old grandmothers in
wheelchairs; or for that matter, 70 or 80 year old able-bodied gray-haired
women, or even 40 something, middle-aged, balding white guys. TSA stops
and frisks more of them than 18 to 40 year-old middle-eastern appearing
men. That make sense to you? Does that seem like a good use of resources?
You think that after checking off 100 caucasians, getting to frisk one
middle-eastern person helps prevent the potential of another terrorist
hijacking?

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Nate Perkins

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 05:22:29 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:

(Doug Miller) wrote in
news
In article , take out
'takeout' to reply wrote:

[...]

What's your point? Sorry, I have no interest in debating whether the
fools running TSA or Homeland Security are profiling elderly handicapped
grandmothers.

I simply asked why some folks think that terrorists are going to
announce their ethnic background and/or criminal intent.

Perhaps we should err on the safe side, and just stop all males that
have olive-colored skin?
Glenna Rose

Whatever happened to the good guys wearing white hats and the bad guys
wearing black hats? And the good guys entered from the left and the bad
guys entered from the right. It was so easy to tell them apart.

What has this world come to?! No one ever follows the rules anymore.

Glenna

wrote:

Koran Verse 8:12

Don't be deceived by the Muslim apologists in this group. The Koran speaks
for itself.

[8.12] "When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make
firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who
disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip
of them."

Now, go read it in context. For example the next verse:

[8:13] This is because they acted adversely to Allah and His Apostle;
and whoever acts adversely to Allah and His Apostle-- then surely
Allah is severe in requiting (evil).

It's clear from the entire Sura that the 'unbelievers' referred to are
not merely non-Muslims, they are enemies who are actively at war with
the Muslims. When they desire peace, the same Sura commands that it be
given to them.

[8.61] And if they incline to peace, then incline to it and trust in
Allah; surely He is the Hearing, the Knowing.

In other words, Muslims are to make peace with their enemies even if
they have doubts about their enemies' sincerity. In a similar vein
they are enjoined to honor any truce they might make with their
enemies.

Unfortunately almost no non-Muslim Americans bother to read the Koran,
even in translation, except the people who go through picking and
choosing the verses they want to emphasize how evil Muslims are.
(Never mind the Hadith, which most of them have never even heard of!)

(Oh yeah, don't be confused by the reference to 'terror'. That's a
translation issue. The term isn't related to 'terrorism.')

Don't get me wrong. Islamic culture is very different from Western
culture. There are profound differences and a lot of things on either
side that the other side finds unacceptable. Islam and Christianity
likewise have major differences. But caricaturing and demonizing the
religion and its beliefs doesn't help anyone -- except maybe Al Queda.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

wrote:

Matthew wrote:

There is no such conclusion implied. You're looking at this from the wrong
direction. It is obviously incorrect to suppose that all Muslims are
terrorists; however, it is equally obvious that nearly all terrorists are
Muslims, primarily Muslims from the middle east. And thus, if you're
trying to
find terrorists, it clearly makes more sense to look for them among middle
eastern Muslims than among Scandinavian Christians or southeast Asian
Buddhists.

I think we should stop using the word terrorist because it conotes good
vs. bad.

I disagree. Terrorist is a rather exact term for what these people
are.

Try the word enemy. We have enemies. In any war the two
sides are enemies.

We have many enemies in the Muslim world who are not terrorists. Hell
we have plenty of non-terrorist enemies in France, Germany and here in
the United States. Fine. Let them rant and rave as much as they want.
As long as they are not actively trying to harm us they're entitled to
their opinions and the most we should do is try to persuade them.

The fact that someone is our enemy alone doesn't justify hunting them
down and killing them.

snip

BTW, the 'stop lists' contain more than just Muslims, as I found out.

Because not all our active enemies are Muslims. I hope that comes as a
surprise to no one.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:08:25 -0800, "mp" wrote:

I don't think we should ask why they are what they are or why they do
what they do, I think that rather than calling them "terrorists", we
should call them "Murderous assholes" and we should strive with all haste
to eradicate them, where ever they can be found. They are a cancer on the
human condition. Sorry if this isn't "PC" enough.

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

Yeah, and they write songs about them, too. The Germans used to have a
great one about some young freedom fighter named Horst and his weasel.

Moral relativism is the great disease of modern thought. (Okay, that's
an overstatement. Some of its more vociferous practicioners show no
signs of any thought whatsoever.)

--RC
snip

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:39:11 -0800, "AAvK" wrote:

One obvious result is that we'd catch more terrorists....

With what these Musslims do to innocent people as "actual" compared to what
the Nazis merely "thought" (and still think) of the Jews, if this so entirely for
real and as dangerous as death to innocents, then I don't see why not. This is
an emergency!!!

And there is a real temptation to do truly stupid things in
emergencies. Ask the Japanese who were in the US during WWII.

We have to strike a balance here.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
George

"Rob Mitchell" wrote in message
. ..

I think we should stop using the word terrorist because it conotes good
vs. bad. Try the word enemy. We have enemies. In any war the two
sides are enemies. To the British, the IRA are terrorists who kill
innocent people. To some Irish people, they are just fighting to get
rid of the oppressors and are justified. Take your pick. Same with
Tamils, or Isrealis, same in the Sudan or Nigeria or...

Ask yourself why the enemy is attacking you and ask if we have harmed
them in any way, and we might be able to figure out how to stop the
conflict, or we might decide we need to fight harder.

BTW, the 'stop lists' contain more than just Muslims, as I found out.

No, call the terrorist a terrorist. If s/he were a member of an organized
open conflict, different matter. What instills terror is the victims cannot
anticipate the action. The terrorist strives to remain anonymous, otherwise
there is no terror.

Though it's obvious you are an apologist for terror(ists)ism, there is no
justification for it, save in the belief of the terrorist.

George

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

No, but I certainly don't think that they are 90 year old grandmothers

in
wheelchairs; or for that matter, 70 or 80 year old able-bodied gray-haired
women, or even 40 something, middle-aged, balding white guys. TSA stops
and frisks more of them than 18 to 40 year-old middle-eastern appearing
men. That make sense to you? Does that seem like a good use of

resources?
You think that after checking off 100 caucasians, getting to frisk one
middle-eastern person helps prevent the potential of another terrorist
hijacking?

Red-headed, properly identified active-duty US Army male, accompanying
female with military dependent ID, and twin boys 5 months old. Full
searches at DTW and ORD.

Doug Miller

In article , "mp" wrote:

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

Oh, really? You mean you don't make any distinction at all between those who
fight against an occupying army, and those who deliberately murder civilians?
The French Resistance in WW2, and the German SS troops who masscred French
*civilians* in retaliation for Resistance attacks on German *soldiers* were
morally interchangeable?

You simply cannot eradicate terrorism without first eliminating the root
causes.

I agree. Let's start by eliminating radical Islam.

--
Regards,

Stephen M

No, but I certainly don't think that they are 90 year old grandmothers
in
wheelchairs; or for that matter, 70 or 80 year old able-bodied gray-haired
women, or even 40 something, middle-aged, balding white guys. TSA stops
and frisks more of them than 18 to 40 year-old middle-eastern appearing
men. That make sense to you? Does that seem like a good use of

resources?

To a certain degree, Yes. No group should ever draw a bye (sp?). If you
*never* search 8-year old girls (or insert grand mothers, or any other
low-risk group) terrorists will recognize this hole in the system and start
using 8-year-old girls as mules for weapons.

Sure concentrate your resources on high-risk targets, but no group gets a
complete pass. This good policy.

Therefore complaining about the statistically mimimal grandmother who gets
"secondary inspection" is a not a very well-thought out point of view.

-Steve

Bob Schmall

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d094101e326683b9aca0033fcb9f4.1e3266d@p mug.org...
Whatever happened to the good guys wearing white hats and the bad guys
wearing black hats? And the good guys entered from the left and the bad
guys entered from the right. It was so easy to tell them apart.

What has this world come to?! No one ever follows the rules anymore.

Glenna

It was tough to grow up and find out that those rules never did apply. It
was always so easy when everything was B&W; I never had to actually weigh
and consider and decide on my own.

Bob

Scott Altman

I've read all the posts/replys.....some are funny and some well meant.
One thing i "know" is that when armed conflict occurs .... non
combatants suffer the most.
Soldiers / terrorists / crusaders, accept the fate that might await
them.....all others must wait in true fear & terror.
Sometimes i fear more the people waving flags & "books" than the ones
carrying a rifle. Few bullets are spent without reason.....but many
have been injured with words from books & had the day clouded under the
shadow of a flag.

When i am searched at the airport to travel in my own country, i feel
the enemy has already won a battle, though not the war.
When i & my children pay out the taxes we do to support the free
wheeling programs & expenses incurred by our government to "keep the
peace" i feel the enemy has already won.

When we had to take down a Nativity on the courthouse lawn last
year....the enemy had won.
Last year someone defaced a Mosque near my hometown, again an enemy won.

When i hear the words RagHead, Honkey, ******, Greaser etc. i know an
enemy has won.

Who is the enemy ? many things to many people.......maybe the best we
can do it to not become an enemy to ourselves or to others.

Just an opinion, very off topic, but inportant to me....and if you don't
like it then that is just too darn bad. Hope i didn't make an enemy !

Urgent and vitally important party shoes question! Abso UK diy 9 January 7th 05 11:02 AM
What is the most important Ray Sandusky Woodturning 34 November 17th 04 01:47 AM
Important! Jack Electronics Repair 4 October 24th 03 08:01 PM
Important Tip Jim Stewart Metalworking 2 September 14th 03 06:11 AM