On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:53:06 +0100, "no spam"
wrote:

Koran Verse 8:12

Don't be deceived by the Muslim apologists in this group. The Koran speaks
for itself.

[8.12] "When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make
firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who
disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip
of them."

Now, go read it in context. For example the next verse:

[8:13] This is because they acted adversely to Allah and His Apostle;
and whoever acts adversely to Allah and His Apostle-- then surely
Allah is severe in requiting (evil).

It's clear from the entire Sura that the 'unbelievers' referred to are
not merely non-Muslims, they are enemies who are actively at war with
the Muslims. When they desire peace, the same Sura commands that it be
given to them.

[8.61] And if they incline to peace, then incline to it and trust in
Allah; surely He is the Hearing, the Knowing.

In other words, Muslims are to make peace with their enemies even if
they have doubts about their enemies' sincerity. In a similar vein
they are enjoined to honor any truce they might make with their
enemies.

Unfortunately almost no non-Muslim Americans bother to read the Koran,
even in translation, except the people who go through picking and
choosing the verses they want to emphasize how evil Muslims are.
(Never mind the Hadith, which most of them have never even heard of!)

(Oh yeah, don't be confused by the reference to 'terror'. That's a
translation issue. The term isn't related to 'terrorism.')

Don't get me wrong. Islamic culture is very different from Western
culture. There are profound differences and a lot of things on either
side that the other side finds unacceptable. Islam and Christianity
likewise have major differences. But caricaturing and demonizing the
religion and its beliefs doesn't help anyone -- except maybe Al Queda.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.