Ray Sandusky

Default What is the most important

What is the most important thing a turner needs to take with him when he
goes out to the lathe?

No not a bowl gouge or 6" face plate - I am looking for something a bit
deeper - come on folks - lets kick some life into this board!

I have some ideas on this, but I want to see if any of you all approach it
the same way that I do....

Ray

Lobby Dosser

"Ray Sandusky" wrote:

What is the most important thing a turner needs to take with him when
he goes out to the lathe?

No not a bowl gouge or 6" face plate - I am looking for something a
bit deeper - come on folks - lets kick some life into this board!

I have some ideas on this, but I want to see if any of you all
approach it the same way that I do....

Ray

Face shield and imagination.

mac davis

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:45:43 -0600, "Ray Sandusky"
wrote:

What is the most important thing a turner needs to take with him when he
goes out to the lathe?

No not a bowl gouge or 6" face plate - I am looking for something a bit
deeper - come on folks - lets kick some life into this board!

I have some ideas on this, but I want to see if any of you all approach it
the same way that I do....

Ray

a piece of wood helps, unless you're running an engine lathe..

Ron Robinson

What is the most important thing a turner needs to take with him when he
goes out to the lathe?

Hi Ray,

Nice thought provoking post.

I think the answer would be that there would be as many answers as there are
turners.
To the professional, it could be to organize the time in a way to make it
profitable.
To me, as a hobby turner, it is to enjoy the experience.
To the vast majority of turners who fall somewhere between those extremes,
it could be any combination of the answers already posted.

Ron Robinson
East Texas

Barry N. Turner

I agree. I know a couple of guys in Kentucky who never decide what their
turned object is gonna be until they are ready to apply the finish! Funny
thing, everything they turn looks like tire knockers and ash trays to
me...............gotta have a plan................or at least a good idea!

Barry

Lobby Dosser wrote:

"Ray Sandusky" wrote:

What is the most important thing a turner needs to take with him when
he goes out to the lathe?

No not a bowl gouge or 6" face plate - I am looking for something a
bit deeper - come on folks - lets kick some life into this board!

I have some ideas on this, but I want to see if any of you all
approach it the same way that I do....

Ray

Face shield and imagination.

Bjarte Runderheim

"Ray Sandusky" skrev i melding
news
What is the most important thing a turner needs to take with him when he
goes out to the lathe?

No not a bowl gouge or 6" face plate - I am looking for something a bit
deeper - come on folks - lets kick some life into this board!

I have some ideas on this, but I want to see if any of you all approach it
the same way that I do....

The chunk of wood. The good one.
No woodturner is better than his piece of wood.

Bjarte

Bruce Litherland

Their creativity gene?

mac davis

wrote:

What is the most important thing a turner needs to take with him when he
goes out to the lathe?

No not a bowl gouge or 6" face plate - I am looking for something a bit
deeper - come on folks - lets kick some life into this board!

I have some ideas on this, but I want to see if any of you all approach it
the same way that I do....

Ray

a piece of wood helps, unless you're running an engine lathe..

ok.. you need a piece of metal..lol
B. Kelsey

A condom so one turns safe.
Basil Kelsey
Ypsilanti, Mi.

Ralph

Only in Ypsilanti.

B. Kelsey wrote:
A condom so one turns safe.
Basil Kelsey
Ypsilanti, Mi.

Bill Badland

Your brain.

anonymous

Bill Badland wrote:

Your brain.

I concur. And be sure to bring it back with you when you are done turning
for the day.

Bill in Detroit

anonymous

wrote:

What is the most important thing a turner needs to take with him when he
goes out to the lathe?

No not a bowl gouge or 6" face plate - I am looking for something a bit
deeper - come on folks - lets kick some life into this board!

I have some ideas on this, but I want to see if any of you all approach it
the same way that I do....

Ray

a piece of wood helps, unless you're running an engine lathe..

Mac,
The term 'engine lathe' just refers to how the durned thing is driven (from
back in the days of steam engines and overhead leather belts powering an
entire factory) not what it is used for.

Maxprop

"Ray Sandusky" wrote in message

What is the most important thing a turner needs to take with him when he
goes out to the lathe?

No not a bowl gouge or 6" face plate - I am looking for something a bit
deeper - come on folks - lets kick some life into this board!

I have some ideas on this, but I want to see if any of you all approach it
the same way that I do....

An ability to see "into" the raw chunk of wood and visualize the object that
resides therein, pleading to be released / exposed.

Max

Dan Kozar

In article ,
"Ray Sandusky" wrote:

What is the most important thing a turner needs to take with him when he
goes out to the lathe?

No not a bowl gouge or 6" face plate - I am looking for something a bit
deeper - come on folks - lets kick some life into this board!

I have some ideas on this, but I want to see if any of you all approach it
the same way that I do....

Ray

Patience

--
Dan Kozar

remove NOSPAM
Ray Sandusky

BINGO!

Dan wins the star!

mac davis

wrote:

What is the most important thing a turner needs to take with him when he
goes out to the lathe?

No not a bowl gouge or 6" face plate - I am looking for something a bit
deeper - come on folks - lets kick some life into this board!

I have some ideas on this, but I want to see if any of you all approach it
the same way that I do....

Ray

a piece of wood helps, unless you're running an engine lathe..

Mac,
The term 'engine lathe' just refers to how the durned thing is driven (from
back in the days of steam engines and overhead leather belts powering an
entire factory) not what it is used for.

ahh... thanks...
when I worked in a factory, they called all the metal turning lathes
"engine lathes", so I figured that meant non-wood turning lathes..

Arch

Mac, metal lathes were engine driven and termed engine lathes long
before wood
lathes were motorized. The term and the distinction remains to this day.

Ray, the most important thing I _should_ take is humble thanks.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Kilcummin

His Safety goggles...... and his package of spare bionic fingers.

anonymous

mac davis wrote:

Mac,
The term 'engine lathe' just refers to how the durned thing is driven
(from back in the days of steam engines and overhead leather belts
powering an entire factory) not what it is used for.

ahh... thanks...
when I worked in a factory, they called all the metal turning lathes
"engine lathes", so I figured that meant non-wood turning lathes..

The term lingers.

The ability to cut threads, while useful, is not enjoyed by every
metalworking lathe. I specifically have in mind a twin turret VERTICAL
lathe I had the pleasure of rebuilding after yet another 'inspired'
purchase of a former boss after a SME show in Detroit. IIRC, it had the
ability to turn two completely different parts at the same time.

I can't complain, I guess ... his purchases of derelict and dane bramaged
tooling kept me employed (although not always sanely so) for a couple of
years and that experience nows comes in very handy in my present job of
machine maintenance for a packaging plant.

Peter Teubel

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:08:03 -0600, "Ray Sandusky" wrote:

BINGO!

Dan wins the star!

I don't buy that. We woodturners are the most IMPATIENT of all woodworkers (except perhaps wood carvers). We want a finished
product in a couple hours, not days (or in 30 minutes in my case).

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com
Don Murray

Arch wrote:
Mac, metal lathes were engine driven and termed engine lathes long
before wood
lathes were motorized. The term and the distinction remains to this day.

Ray, the most important thing I _should_ take is humble thanks.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

How did the rose engine lathe get its name? Doesn't appear to be driven
by an engine. Not normally used to cut metal, not designed to cut
threads like metal cutting lathes.
Does have rocking head stock, rosettes, and a touch that rides on the
contour of the rosettes.

Don

J. Clarke

Don Murray wrote:

Arch wrote:
Mac, metal lathes were engine driven and termed engine lathes long
before wood
lathes were motorized. The term and the distinction remains to this day.

Ray, the most important thing I _should_ take is humble thanks.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

How did the rose engine lathe get its name? Doesn't appear to be driven
by an engine. Not normally used to cut metal, not designed to cut
threads like metal cutting lathes.
Does have rocking head stock, rosettes, and a touch that rides on the
contour of the rosettes.

If it automates some process it's an "engine" for that process in the same
manner that Babbage's computers were to be called the "difference engine"
and the "analytical engine". The use of "engine" as a synonym for "motor"
came later.

Don

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Arch

Hi Don, Maybe because a rose engine uses rosettes in a mechanical
device. Maybe because it makes flower-like ornamentations. Maybe we
could just use a 'search engine' and find out, Naah!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

George

Good point, but I think that bears mostly on the depth of addiction.

It's frequent hits that make the addict, that's why they give long-lasting
methadone as "treatment."

My methadone of the moment is a new set of nightstands.

news

wrote:
I don't buy that. We woodturners are the most IMPATIENT of all woodworkers

(except perhaps wood carvers). We want a finished
product in a couple hours, not days (or in 30 minutes in my case).

Ray Sandusky

Oh but Peter - that is why I think patience is of utmost importance - if you
can patiently approach the work; making sure to arrive at the right, desired
surface by painstakingly slow and thorough execution, then the woodturner
will be more impressed with his own work - not just proud of finishing his
turning!

Ray

wrote:

BINGO!

Dan wins the star!

I don't buy that. We woodturners are the most IMPATIENT of all woodworkers
(except perhaps wood carvers). We want a finished
product in a couple hours, not days (or in 30 minutes in my case).

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

Maxprop

"Ray Sandusky" wrote in message

Oh but Peter - that is why I think patience is of utmost importance - if

you
can patiently approach the work; making sure to arrive at the right,

desired
surface by painstakingly slow and thorough execution, then the woodturner
will be more impressed with his own work - not just proud of finishing his
turning!

Perhaps it's because of my relative newness to turning, or simply because I
love to see the shavings curl away from the wood. But patience is not an
issue. Especially when approaching the final cuts. Having spent a day or
two turning a chunk of raw lignin into a bowl or whatever, I'm cautious and
proceed with the utmost care in order to avoid making a mistake and ruining
the project. Perhaps after a few years of this I'll become impatient, but
for now . . .

Max