Dave Hinz

On 17 Feb 2005 11:13:00 -0800, wrote:

Followed up in alt.politics.

That's nice.
Ned

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:19:34 -0800, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

That pretty much describes my position as well. Thanks, Nate.

I'm afraid Bush is now working up to an excuse for invading Iran and
Syria.

Our President is on a Crusade. His first agenda, to invade Afghan,
than Iraq and Syria next, Iran after that North Korea. Who else did I
miss? We are the riches also the most powerful nation on earth, with
God guidance and "Gut feeling" Bush will succeed, or will he?

We should ask, are we really better off before Bush took office in
2001? The US dollar continues to falls and more than 80% of the rest
of the World looks at us with negative feeling. Our debts continue to
climb with imports mounting and exports falling. Bush continues to
spins that our Social Security will go bankrupt and so forth. Are we
really better off today than before Bush took office?

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:11:32 GMT, Ned wrote:
On 17 Feb 2005 19:15:08 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Are we really better off today than before Bush took office?

I'd say yes. And vastly better than if Gore had been in on 9/11/01.

I'm just speechless.

Well, _that_ would certainly be an improvement.

You can even predict if, Gore had been the
President?

If your sentence fragment means what I think it means, then yes,
I think Gore would have performed badly that day.

Hallelujah, God is Great!

Here we have an example of "I disagree with person, therefore
person must obviously hold a specific believe that I also disagree
with".

Ned

On 17 Feb 2005 19:15:08 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Are we really better off today than before Bush took office?

I'd say yes. And vastly better than if Gore had been in on 9/11/01.

I'm just speechless. You can even predict if, Gore had been the
President?

Hallelujah, God is Great!

Larry Blanchard

In article ,
says...
Anyone who doesn't think there is a social security problem is
delusional. Whoever takes the problem on is going to be in for
a ****-storm; the Dems just prefer to let someone else do what has
to be done.

Now THAT's the Dave I love to disagree with :-).

Yes, SS has a problem. No, SS is NOT in a crisis, as Bush would have us
believe.

1. His estimates are based on a peeimistic forecast of grwoth at half
the rate it has averaged for 50 years or so.

2. Private accounts will do nothing to solve the problem - Bush glosses
over the fact that his solution requires reducing benefits. That would
work without the private accounts.

3. With the private accounts, the SS "crisis" is replaced by massive
borrowing to finance the transition - but that's OK, whats another
trillion or so on the debt.

4. The "crisis", if any, is more properly called a "bubble". By the
time it occurs, the baby boomers will start dying off and the ration of
retirees to workers will improve again - although how much is anyones
bet.

5. Removing the limit on SS taxable earnings and slightly increasing
the rate at which retimement age is slated to rise would, if not
eliminate any fund shortage, at least push it considerably further into
the future.

And it seems nobody knows (or will say) what'll happen to the employers
share of the taxes employees take out for the private accounts. Wanna'
bet the companies would get to keep them?

Dan White

"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message

You are free to "believe" what you want - many people believe all manner
of nonsense. But - and I am *not* a Bush fan by any means - let's
inspect Reality for a moment and see how your beliefs stack up against
what we observe:

Well put thread. Of course it will fall on deaf ears, but nice try anyway!

dwhite

mp

If your sentence fragment means what I think it means, then yes,
I think Gore would have performed badly that day.

Really. On that day, how could anyone have performed worse than Bush? Do you
think Gore or any other sane person would have stood around and listened to
goat stories while New York burned?

Nate Perkins

Mike Smith wrote in
:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 05:42:19 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:

"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote in news:1117j2927qgc938
:

That's a skewed perspective. A timeline was given after
10 years of Saddam's nonsense, including his removal
of power. Dragging it out until UN inspectors were satisfied
wouldn't make much sense since a decade had already
gone by and an Army can't be held at bay indefinitely and
there was a weather factor to deal with. I would agree that
the UN member nations could have solved the problem
but they had their own interests at heart.

Unfortunately much of what you call "nonsense" consists of us accusing
Saddam of having things he didn't have, and then us demanding that the
Iraqis prove a negative.

Not true. We knew Saddam had WMD's. What we didn't know is "when did
he get rid of them". We will find his WMD's when we invade Syria.

Read the reports. What he had was destroyed by the UN inspectors after
the first Gulf War.

Do you really believe Saddam put WMDs in Syria, or are you just looking
for an excuse to invade another Middle Eastern country? How many more
do you think we can afford at a few hundred billion a shot?

You do know that numerous 18 wheelers were sent to Syria during our 14
months of negotiating wiht Saddam before the invasion, right?

You'll have to show evidence that WMDs were moved to Syria. It's a
pretty good conspiracy theory, though.

It finally came down to the fact that we went to war because we damned
well wanted to go to war. And we were intent to do the tough talk,
and ratchet up the confrontation until we got our war.

Not even close. Saddam told the world he would not agree to the terms
of surrender he signed in 1991. For 14 months the US attempted to get
him to comply.

For 14 months the US told Saddam to come clean and disclose his WMDs.
He said he didn't have them. We didn't believe him. We invaded. Turns
out he didn't have any.

Not everybody agreed. Our own allies disagreed. The UN wouldn't pass
a second resolution.

France opposed the resolution, so Bush withdrew it. According to UN
1441, it wasn't needed anyway. I'll assume you wish to defend France's
actions.

The US withdrew the resolution because there was wide opposition to it
and it was clear it would not pass.

France has been a steady longtime ally of the US, and we would be
thousands of lives and hundreds of billions of dollars ahead if we had
moved more cautiously, as many of our allies were counseling.

Here's a good timeline:
http://www.news10.net/news-special/w...q-timeline.htm

There were millions of protesters around the world
taking to the streets. It didn't matter, Bush had it in his head that
he was going to push his New American Century.

Millions? Is that the same as the million mom march? {200,000 = 1
million, according to liberals}

Whatever. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Now we've got our war, and the question is whether or not it is going
as we expected.

No war has ever gone "as expected". That is NOT the question.

Sounds like a Rummy quote. Don't blame us, war is hard to predict. Who
can know how it will go?

Gee, and I thought it was their job to plan, predict, and adjust
strategy. I guess that _is_ asking a lot.

It's all fine to spout the prose about spreading freedom
and democracy, but there also needs to be substance behind the
rhetoric. Is anyone learning from the mistakes, or adapting the plan?

Well, there are a lot of democrats that seem unhappy about the spread
of freedom in Iraq.

Ridiculous. We just get disgusted at the people who believe all the
sunshine that's being blown, and never question what they are told.

And the "plan" is being modified on a daily basis, depending on the
situation. That is standard procedure in any war or mop-up operation.

Really? I see little evidence of any flexibility or questioning of the
plan. Seems to me they are all intent on painting a rosy picture and
"staying the course."
Nate Perkins

Dave Hinz wrote in news:37k1niF5e7r24U3
@individual.net:

wrote:

Unfortunately much of what you call "nonsense" consists of us accusing
Saddam of having things he didn't have, and then us demanding that the
Iraqis prove a negative.

Not true. We knew Saddam had WMD's. What we didn't know is "when did
he get rid of them". We will find his WMD's when we invade Syria.

_IF_ he got rid of them. A dozen years is a long time, and Iraq is
a very large place.

Yeah, and Elvis is still alive, too.
Nate Perkins

"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote in :

Followed up in alt.politics.

I may quite posting these notices any time now.

You know where to look for my replies.

Maybe someone over there can explain in terms you
can understand that the UN had mandated that
Saddam was to destroy his WMDs under UN
supervision. Ya see, no one trusted him at that point.

Subsequent investigations have all concluded that he did exactly that,
shortly after the first Gulf War.

And so your point would be?

Nate Perkins

Dave Hinz wrote in news:37k8psF5gscjvU8
@individual.net:

wrote:

That pretty much describes my position as well. Thanks, Nate.

I'm afraid Bush is now working up to an excuse for invading Iran and
Syria.

Our President is on a Crusade. His first agenda, to invade Afghan,

Do you think that, after 9/11, he should have not have invaded
Afghanistan?

Retaliating against an attack on our country, and eliminating the
government that provided sanctuary for our attackers is one thing.

Going off on a preemptive war based on "bad intelligence" against a
country that was not involved in the attack is a totally separate thing.

We should ask, are we really better off before Bush took office in
2001?

I am.

By any measurable statistic, most people in the US are not.

The US dollar continues to falls and more than 80% of the rest
of the World looks at us with negative feeling.

Eh... (a) so what, (b) us as individuals, or our government, and
(c) see (a).

You seem to be convinced that neither the stability of our currency nor
the respect of our country in the world is important. Most people would
probably disagree with you on one or both counts.

Our debts continue to
climb with imports mounting and exports falling.

Do you ever buy foreign goods, Ned?

What's your point?

Bush continues to
spins that our Social Security will go bankrupt and so forth.

Anyone who doesn't think there is a social security problem is
delusional. Whoever takes the problem on is going to be in for
a ****-storm; the Dems just prefer to let someone else do what has
to be done.

Bush is the only guy I've ever seen that can do endlessly stupid things
and still be considered a heroic man of virtue to his followers.

We have lots of problems, of which social security is neither the most
severe or the most pressing.
Nate Perkins

Tim Daneliuk wrote in
:

Nate Perkins wrote:
SNIP

The invasion of Iraq was an optional war, against a country that was
effectively contained,

True.

had no WMDs

False. They had already used them on the Kurds. The presence and
actual use of WMDs in recent Iraqi history made this country far
more than some theoretical threat. The fact that they did not
have *additional* WMDs doesn't make our move to war less legitimate.
We had no way of knowning this - despite the expectation of the
Drooling Left that the CIA be perfect, and the posturing of the Moron
Right that the CIA *is* perfect. We had to operate on reasonable
assumptions drawn from Iraq's actual history since they would
not give the UN unrestricted inspection access.

Obviously I meant that he had no WMDs at the time of the invasion.
That's why none were found. That's why Bush's own inspectors concluded
there were none.

Of course he had them 20 years earlier. At the time Saddam was using
chemical weapons, we were rooting for him in his war with Iran.

was nominally cooperating with inspections.

"Nominally", yes. In actual fact, not really. A US invasion could
have been averted at any time up to the moment of the actual
commencement of hostilities had Sadaam made real inspections
(unfettered, unmonitored, without threat to the Iraqi participants)
happen. He did not, he got tossed out of power.

At the end, under pressure of force, the inspectors were going anywhere
they wanted within 10 minutes notice. Palaces, military installations,
government offices.

Yeah, he wasn't eager about having that done. Who would be?

Saddam's secular dictatorship was antithetical to Islamic
fundamentalism,

Tsk, tsk. How very non-PC of you to lump all Islamic fundamentalists
into a single group. There are devout (aka fundamentalist) Islamists
who do not advocate terror, murder, oppression, and so forth.

You are right. I should have been more precise.

and Islamic fundamentalist terrorists were not operating
significantly in Iraq until we toppled Saddam's regime.

False. There is some incidental evidence that Iraqi intelligence
was in league with some of the terror operators. At least one well
known hijacking terrorist lived and operated freely in Baghdad.
Sadaam funded Islamic Palestinian terrorists. No one (with any clue)
ever thought Iraq was a direct threat to the West. The concern was
that he would make common cause with people who *were* direct threats
to the West by funding and/or arming them. This was a legitimate
fear given Sadaam's brutal history.

Links between Saddam and Islamic fundamentalist terrorists are weak at
best. Saddam was a brutal secular dictator, and as a secularist he was
a prime target for the Wahhabist radicals. He knew it and he kept them
under his thumb. If you really want to look at places with links to
Islamic fundamentalist terrorists, look at our good friends in Saudi
Arabia and Pakistan.

Those of us in the opposition are not saying the US shouldn't defend
itself.

Sure you are. You're only willing to have the US defend itself
*sometimes* and then only *after* its been attacked. By analogy,
if we were in a bar fight, and the guy at the end of the bar paid me
to poke you in the nose, your argument, roughly would be: 1) You
can't hit the guy at the end of the bar because he did nothing
directly to you and 2) You can't hit me until I actually poke you in
the nose. i.e., You cannot interdict while my arm is in motion
swinging at you.

Nonsense. You guys go off and engineer an ill-advised war with a
country that had no WMDs and no links to 9/11, and then when somebody
points out that maybe that was a stupid thing to do you all cry "Oh, the
Liberals don't want to let the US defend itself!"

much as you do. The difference is that we believe that our recent
actions are ill-conceived and that they weaken the US in the long
run.

You are free to "believe" what you want - many people believe all
manner of nonsense. But - and I am *not* a Bush fan by any means -
let's inspect Reality for a moment and see how your beliefs stack up
against what we observe:

There have been free elections in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Palestine for
the first time ever (or at least in many years). It is rather
doubtful this would have happened without the US projecting force in
these regions, directly or otherwise.

I agree with respect to Afghanistan. I don't agree with respect to
Palestine; I think you want to take credit where none is due.

With respect to Iraq, I hope you are right that it ends up being a free
democracy. And I hope I am wrong when I fear that it ends up either in
civil war or under a Shiite fundamentalist government (a la Iran).

The world's 5th largest standing army (iirc), lead by a murderous
dictator, was neutralized, and further (potential) deployment of WMDs
was halted.

There was no active WMD program. And you exaggerate the strength of his
army -- all of which had weapons that were 15 years out of date, had no
spares, and was 1/3 the size it had been during Gulf War I.

Said brutal dictator is now in irons.

Other villians in the neighborhood are getting nervous. This was the
*real* reason to go to Iraq. Bush wants to bring the Middle East
peace and Jesus. But what is mostly needed there, is a deep-seated
fear of ****ing off the US. It worked in Libya - go research the
conversation between Kaddaffi and Burlusconi in the early days of this
war - it is instructive reading. Syria, Iran, North Korea, and all
the rest of the tin pot dictator states need to develop a healthy fear
of what happens when you threaten Uncle Sam. This is the one and only
thing Bush has managed to get right, despite himself...

Yeah, everyone is getting nervous. A bunch of us here in the US are
getting nervous, too. And when you claim that Bush wants to "bring the
Middle East peace and Jesus" it makes me even more nervous.

Iran and North Korea are exhibiting their fear by making nukes as
quickly as possible.
Tim Daneliuk

Nate Perkins wrote:
SNIP

Nonsense. You guys go off and engineer an ill-advised war with a

There's no "you guys" about it - I am not a Republican. I just
don't want to get vaporized by flaming JP-6 because *you guys*
want to wait until the flames are rising to declare that
perhaps, just maybe, we ought to do something. I favor
prevention, not after-the-fact responses. Even hardcore ideological
Libs like Christopher Hitchins agree with this - that's why
he very huffily departed the Left after the 9/11 murders.

country that had no WMDs and no links to 9/11, and then when somebody

We had NO way to know they did not have WMDs ... unless you are
joining the Leftie keening that Bush knew there were none, lied about it,
and invaded anyway. You cannot have it both ways: Either we did not
know and had to act like there were WMDs, or we did know and Bush
lied. In the former case, we did the right thing. The latter, I'd
just like to see proof - if you provide proof, I'll be first in line
to demand impeachment.

points out that maybe that was a stupid thing to do you all cry "Oh, the
Liberals don't want to let the US defend itself!"

What was stupid about it was believing there would ever be peace
in the region in some simple/short period of time. We never
actually needed boots on the ground there to neutralize the threat.
We could just have bombed, day in and day out, and kept the country
in a permanent state of rubble until Sadaam turned himself in. Our
boots on the ground are because of this incomprehnsible need we
Americans (of all stripes) have to try and do the right thing and
bring some measure if liberty to the people of the region while we're
at it. Stupid us.

I, for one, would prefer to see a policy of strategic bombing (military
and government targets) if we need to do more of this. A couple of targets
per day for a year or so would keep people out of their government jobs
in, say, Syria and Iran, and let them know we tired of their nonsense without
ever putting an American shoe in that sand... But I'm pretty non-PC myself.
Keep em scrambling for cover and see how much time or energy they have
for exporting terror. Plus, its good practice for our pilots...

I agree with respect to Afghanistan. I don't agree with respect to
Palestine; I think you want to take credit where none is due.

Really? Do you seriously think the post-Yassar regime' would be
negotiating were it not for US pressure. What the Arab world seems
not to get is that we have our hand on Israel's collar a good deal of
the time. If we had exited the arena years ago (which all the Darlings
of the Left keep advocating in subtle ways) they'd be speaking Hebrew
from Teheran to Tripoli. Come to think of it, that's not such a bad
plan. We get out and let the Israelis clean up the mess their way ...
which is rather effective.

With respect to Iraq, I hope you are right that it ends up being a free
democracy. And I hope I am wrong when I fear that it ends up either in
civil war or under a Shiite fundamentalist government (a la Iran).

The world's 5th largest standing army (iirc), lead by a murderous
dictator, was neutralized, and further (potential) deployment of WMDs
was halted.

There was no active WMD program. And you exaggerate the strength of his
army -- all of which had weapons that were 15 years out of date, had no
spares, and was 1/3 the size it had been during Gulf War I.

OK - so it was the 8th or 9th or Whatever-Makes-You-Happy largest
army in the world. Nitpicking at minor details doesn't change the
larger point - we neutralized one of the top N military threats in the world.

Said brutal dictator is now in irons.

Other villians in the neighborhood are getting nervous. This was the
*real* reason to go to Iraq. Bush wants to bring the Middle East
peace and Jesus. But what is mostly needed there, is a deep-seated
fear of ****ing off the US. It worked in Libya - go research the
conversation between Kaddaffi and Burlusconi in the early days of this
war - it is instructive reading. Syria, Iran, North Korea, and all
the rest of the tin pot dictator states need to develop a healthy fear
of what happens when you threaten Uncle Sam. This is the one and only
thing Bush has managed to get right, despite himself...

Yeah, everyone is getting nervous. A bunch of us here in the US are
getting nervous, too. And when you claim that Bush wants to "bring the

And most of you have never lived anywhere else and seen
real oppression. I have - well, I've seen the results of the oppression
after the fact. Americans - I am proudly one of you now - especially
those born and raised here, are immensely naive' about how most of
the rest of the world actually works. The political Right in this country
is silly, and sometimes stupid, but the Left is flatly dangerous. It
embraces the secular version of "Jesus and peace" and hopes if you sing
enough choruses of Kumbaya, everyone will just get along. Peace comes
(eventually) from winning armed conflict, not from negotiation or listening
to Babs Streisand (or Alec Baldwin, or ....) englightening the world
with the oh-so-learned observations on geopolitics.

Middle East peace and Jesus" it makes me even more nervous.

This is the disease of the neo-cons. They have some weird religious
version of Manifest Destiny running around in their heads. The good thing
is that their deep religiosity makes it natural for them to be able to
spot and name Evil - something the Libs largely don't even believe exists.
At the heart of the Leftie soul is this deeply held belief that people
are good and that circumstances make them bad. It is the inverse of
the religious doctrine of Original Sin. This cripples the Left
when it comes time to try and name something as Bad, Evil, or
Wrong. Look at the walking rectal passage at CU and his utterances
about 9/11 for a pungent example. Yes, he's an extreme example,
but his views differ (mostly) only in degree not kind from the
"mainstream" Left.

I used to despise the Left and Right equally - they both want to
screw people out of their lives, money, and freedom to apply
it to their pet causes. But the events of the past 4 years have
demonstrated that the Left is considerably worse and more dangerous.
In addition to wanting to "screw people out of ..." they also wish to
impose their secular version of Right and Wrong which is essentially
a denial that the latter innately exists.

Iran and North Korea are exhibiting their fear by making nukes as
quickly as possible.

And that, of course, was not happening under previous administrations
right? You need to go rent a clue on the difference between
correlation and causality. Korea, Iran, and the rest are doing what
they do *because they are totalitarian states* - they have always done
some version of this stuff and they can only be permitted to go so far
before they get swatted. As I said, my preference is continuous bombing
of key targets until they implode ... but, That's Not Very Nice (tm) ...

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Doug Miller

In article 1, Nate Perkins wrote:
"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote in :
Maybe someone over there can explain in terms you
can understand that the UN had mandated that
Saddam was to destroy his WMDs under UN
supervision. Ya see, no one trusted him at that point.

Subsequent investigations have all concluded that he did exactly that,
shortly after the first Gulf War.

Ummm, no, they didn't, and, no, he didn't. What part of "under UN supervision"
do you not understand? Saddam may have destroyed those weapons, but the UN
mandated that they be destroyed under UN supervision so that it could be
*verified* that they were destroyed. That did *not* happen.

--
Regards,

Fletis Humplebacker

"mp"
If your sentence fragment means what I think it means, then yes,
I think Gore would have performed badly that day.

Really. On that day, how could anyone have performed worse than Bush? Do you
think Gore or any other sane person would have stood around and listened to
goat stories while New York burned?

And he should have rushed out and peed on the towers to put the flames out
right? Kerry said they sat around stunned for 45 minutes. I think it was a
normal reaction, not much could have been done after the fact but your
criticism is typical of the left. Keep it up, I like the results.

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:51:05 -0800, Larry Blanchard wrote:
In article ,
says...
Anyone who doesn't think there is a social security problem is
delusional. Whoever takes the problem on is going to be in for
a ****-storm; the Dems just prefer to let someone else do what has
to be done.

Now THAT's the Dave I love to disagree with :-).

Oh good. The normal order of things has been restored.

Yes, SS has a problem. No, SS is NOT in a crisis, as Bush would have us
believe.

But, that's word games. The sooner something gets done to get it
steered in the right direction (or at least, less in the _wrong_
direction), the less that steering will hurt. Deciding if the word
"problem" or "crisis" is more accurate, is just a pointless waste of
effort. I think everyone agrees that it's headed in the wrong
direction.

1. His estimates are based on a peeimistic forecast of grwoth at half
the rate it has averaged for 50 years or so.

I'd prefer the word "conservative" rather than "pessimistic", but OK.
If things turn out better than predicted, then so much the better.

2. Private accounts will do nothing to solve the problem - Bush glosses
over the fact that his solution requires reducing benefits. That would
work without the private accounts.

Yes, but I'd prefer to self-direct _some_ of my own investment. (I
honestly don't think I'll ever see any of it, so anything non-zero is
a plus, but that's beside the point.)

4. The "crisis", if any, is more properly called a "bubble". By the
time it occurs, the baby boomers will start dying off and the ration of
retirees to workers will improve again - although how much is anyones
bet.

Shouldn't that be simple to calculate? We've got birth rate data up
to and including 2004, after all. Why is it "anyone's bet"? Death
rates on a population the size of the US should be pretty calculable
as well?

5. Removing the limit on SS taxable earnings and slightly increasing
the rate at which retimement age is slated to rise would, if not
eliminate any fund shortage, at least push it considerably further into
the future.

That's another approach, yes. Something in the right direction needs
to be done, and at least Bush has the balls to start things moving
in the right direction. No matter who touches it, they're gonna
get burned. A lame-duck President is the ideal person to do that;
it's gonna **** off peole no matter what or who does whatever needs
to get done.

And it seems nobody knows (or will say) what'll happen to the employers
share of the taxes employees take out for the private accounts. Wanna'
bet the companies would get to keep them?

I don't see your point here, sorry.

Dave Hinz

wrote:

That pretty much describes my position as well. Thanks, Nate.

I'm afraid Bush is now working up to an excuse for invading Iran and
Syria.

Our President is on a Crusade. His first agenda, to invade Afghan,

Do you think that, after 9/11, he should have not have invaded
Afghanistan?

Retaliating against an attack on our country, and eliminating the
government that provided sanctuary for our attackers is one thing.

So, you agree with that war. Would you have agreed with going to war
there a year earlier, based on intelligence, or would you be doing the
same thing you're doing about Iraq now?

Going off on a preemptive war based on "bad intelligence" against a
country that was not involved in the attack is a totally separate thing.

See above. Best available intel said he was being a problem. Maybe
he was - we gave him more than a decade to hide the stuff, y'know?

We should ask, are we really better off before Bush took office in
2001?

I am.

By any measurable statistic, most people in the US are not.

If you say so. Sounds like a judgement call in any case.
But, the real question should be "Are you better off with Bush in
office than you would have been with Gore in office?" - equally
unanswerable of course, but I've got my feelings on that matter.

The US dollar continues to falls and more than 80% of the rest
of the World looks at us with negative feeling.

Eh... (a) so what, (b) us as individuals, or our government, and
(c) see (a).

You seem to be convinced that neither the stability of our currency nor
the respect of our country in the world is important. Most people would
probably disagree with you on one or both counts.

I'm not convinced that our currency's value has anything to do with
us being disliked by the man in the street somewhere.

Our debts continue to
climb with imports mounting and exports falling.

Do you ever buy foreign goods, Ned?

What's your point?

My point is, if our imports are increasing, then one should look no
further than the shelves of the local wal-mart where they shop, buying
imported goods. If people didn't buy it, it wouldn't be imported.

Bush continues to
spins that our Social Security will go bankrupt and so forth.

Anyone who doesn't think there is a social security problem is
delusional. Whoever takes the problem on is going to be in for
a ****-storm; the Dems just prefer to let someone else do what has
to be done.

Bush is the only guy I've ever seen that can do endlessly stupid things
and still be considered a heroic man of virtue to his followers.

Where did I say that above? I'm glad he's got the balls to start
working on something that _nobody_ has wanted to deal with for decades.

We have lots of problems, of which social security is neither the most
severe or the most pressing.

And the sooner someone starts working on SS, the less difficult and
painless it will be to get it going in a positive direction. Wait until
it's too late, and there _will_ be a crisis. Oh damn, Bush is once again
doing something before the **** hits the fan. Damn that Bush! He's
doing something pre-emptive. What the hell is he thinking?

Sheesh. You bitch when the guy does something before it blows up,
you bitch when the guy _doesn'_ do something before it blows up. There's
a pattern here.

Swingman

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

But, that's word games. The sooner something gets done to get it
steered in the right direction (or at least, less in the _wrong_
direction), the less that steering will hurt. Deciding if the word
"problem" or "crisis" is more accurate, is just a pointless waste of
effort. I think everyone agrees that it's headed in the wrong
direction.

Move down here, run for office and I'd vote for you in a heartbeat ... I
like your style!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:41:24 GMT, Nate Perkins wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote in
:

Nate Perkins wrote:
[...]

"Can't find 'em" doesn't mean "aren't here" or even "weren't here",
Nate.

Of course he had them 20 years earlier. At the time Saddam was using
chemical weapons, we were rooting for him in his war with Iran.

What about the Sarin shell that injured our guys, Nate? Don't they
count? Did it not exist? Couple liters of Sarin, what, that's not
enough M to be a W of MD?

"Nominally", yes. In actual fact, not really. A US invasion could
have been averted at any time up to the moment of the actual
commencement of hostilities had Sadaam made real inspections
(unfettered, unmonitored, without threat to the Iraqi participants)
happen. He did not, he got tossed out of power.

At the end, under pressure of force, the inspectors were going anywhere
they wanted within 10 minutes notice. Palaces, military installations,
government offices.

Yeah. "Um, no, you can't come in yet...wait, couple more years...
(scramble scramble) - OK, (everything hidden? Yup, I think so...),
all right, come on in."

You're a fool if you don't think that's what was going on when the UN
was pussyfooting around saying "Oh, pleeeeease let us come in? Come on,
Pleeeeease?".

Yeah, he wasn't eager about having that done. Who would be?

Someone who was still hiding or moving things he wanted to not be
found.

Sure you are. You're only willing to have the US defend itself
*sometimes* and then only *after* its been attacked. By analogy,
if we were in a bar fight, and the guy at the end of the bar paid me
to poke you in the nose, your argument, roughly would be: 1) You
can't hit the guy at the end of the bar because he did nothing
directly to you and 2) You can't hit me until I actually poke you in
the nose. i.e., You cannot interdict while my arm is in motion
swinging at you.

Nonsense. You guys go off and engineer an ill-advised war with a
country that had no WMDs and no links to 9/11,

We know they _HAD_ WMDs. We know we haven't found much of them
yet. "no links to 9/11" is arguable at best. Why did he have those
bio-lab trailers buried, I wonder? What _is_ with those uranium
enhancing centrifuge parts? How many more sarin shells are still
"wups, forgot that one too" buried?

and then when somebody
points out that maybe that was a stupid thing to do you all cry "Oh, the
Liberals don't want to let the US defend itself!"

I personally think we should have kicked ass, set up the new guy
(or not), and got the hell out. But, going in needed to be done.

There have been free elections in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Palestine for
the first time ever (or at least in many years). It is rather
doubtful this would have happened without the US projecting force in
these regions, directly or otherwise.

I agree with respect to Afghanistan. I don't agree with respect to
Palestine; I think you want to take credit where none is due.

You probably won't acknowledge Libya's disarming is a result of
Bush's decisions either, I suppose.

With respect to Iraq, I hope you are right that it ends up being a free
democracy. And I hope I am wrong when I fear that it ends up either in
civil war or under a Shiite fundamentalist government (a la Iran).

Long as they're no longer a threat to us, sorry, but they can
(and will) go on killing each other without hurting my feelings.
We're not going to change their little thousand-year grudge, but
we can limit the scope of how it threatens us or our allies.

The world's 5th largest standing army (iirc), lead by a murderous
dictator, was neutralized, and further (potential) deployment of WMDs
was halted.

There was no active WMD program.

^^^^^^

Active being the operative word. Now, it'll hopefully be harder for
them to restart their WMD programs as well.

Said brutal dictator is now in irons.

Funny how your type seems to think that's not important.

Other villians in the neighborhood are getting nervous. This was the
*real* reason to go to Iraq. Bush wants to bring the Middle East
peace and Jesus. But what is mostly needed there, is a deep-seated
fear of ****ing off the US. It worked in Libya

Damn right it did. But, he won't give Bush any credit for that,
watch.

- go research the
conversation between Kaddaffi and Burlusconi in the early days of this
war - it is instructive reading. Syria, Iran, North Korea, and all
the rest of the tin pot dictator states need to develop a healthy fear
of what happens when you threaten Uncle Sam. This is the one and only
thing Bush has managed to get right, despite himself...

Yeah, everyone is getting nervous. A bunch of us here in the US are
getting nervous, too. And when you claim that Bush wants to "bring the
Middle East peace and Jesus" it makes me even more nervous.

I don't give a damn about what religion someone practices. I get
a tad twitchy when they have shown ability and willingness to use
WMD on people, and make aggressive noises towards my country.

SH bluffed. We called his bluff. He lost.

Iran and North Korea are exhibiting their fear by making nukes as
quickly as possible.

So, do you think that's wise of them, all things considered?

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:56:12 GMT, Nate Perkins wrote:

For 14 months the US told Saddam to come clean and disclose his WMDs.
He said he didn't have them. We didn't believe him. We invaded. Turns
out he didn't have any.

Turns out we didn't find any.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:59:21 GMT, Nate Perkins wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote in news:37k1niF5e7r24U3
@individual.net:

_IF_ he got rid of them. A dozen years is a long time, and Iraq is
a very large place.

Yeah, and Elvis is still alive, too.

Riiiight, because that's exactly the same thing as a deranged dictator
with a stash of weapons he's happy to use, being given a dozen years
to hide something he's not supposed to have.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:27:35 -0600, Swingman wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

But, that's word games. The sooner something gets done to get it
steered in the right direction (or at least, less in the _wrong_
direction), the less that steering will hurt. Deciding if the word
"problem" or "crisis" is more accurate, is just a pointless waste of
effort. I think everyone agrees that it's headed in the wrong
direction.

Move down here, run for office and I'd vote for you in a heartbeat ... I
like your style!

I'm not sure if I should be honored, or offended?

If the Libertarians would get their act together (as defined by -
get some LOCAL offices and work up before just shooting for the top
spot), I might be interested in politics, but...I hate meetings.
Probably wouldn't work.

In the meantime, I just pick the party whose choice doesn't turn my
stomach as much and pull the lever, y'know?

Swingman

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:27:35 -0600, wrote:

I'm not sure if I should be honored, or offended?

It would be interesting to know _why_ you would be offended?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Duane Bozarth

Larry Blanchard wrote:
But if an employer can reduce his tax burden by up to $1000 (and more in
later years) per employee, that's a giant payback to Bush's corporate
supporters.

No, if it were true (which it certainly isn't at least yet and I
sincerely doubt it would ever be part of the final plan) it would aid
immensely in maintaining US industry competiveness which would enhance
economic growth and probably spur additional hiring...

My expectation would be that if there were contributions to personal
accounts, the employer "contribution" (a mismonmer if ever there were
one, btw) would be added to the account as well...at least if I were the
individual who had the opportunity to opt into such a plan I'd really
be p-o'ed if that weren't the case.

As for the employer "contribution", if you've ever become self-employed,
that deception will soon be revealed...

wrote:
"Can't find 'em" doesn't mean "aren't here" or even "weren't here",
Nate.

You can't find the Lock Ness moster, Yeti, Alien abductors either,
or a live T.Rex either. Doesn't mean they aren't here or even
weren't here.

Of course he had them 20 years earlier. At the time Saddam was

using
chemical weapons, we were rooting for him in his war with Iran.

What about the Sarin shell that injured our guys, Nate? Don't they
count? Did it not exist? Couple liters of Sarin, what, that's not
enough M to be a W of MD?

Love the way you refer to ONE (1) sarin shell as 'they'.

As you know, Iraq declared to UNSCOM that it had produced and
test fired about 70 prototype sarin of that design. No data
are available as to how may detonated on impact or were recovered.
ISG was unable to determine whether or not that one (1) had
been fired or not.

So as you know, that shell (note singular) is not evidence of
a violation of the sanctions.

You're a fool if you don't think that's what was going on when the UN
was pussyfooting around saying "Oh, pleeeeease let us come in? Come

on,
Pleeeeease?".

Could you try to be a bit more mature?

I agree with respect to Afghanistan. I don't agree with respect to

Palestine; I think you want to take credit where none is due.

You probably won't acknowledge Libya's disarming is a result of
Bush's decisions either, I suppose.

I will. I will also acknowledge that North Korea and Iran went
the other way and accelerated their programs. I'll also point
out that being right accross the Mediteranean from Lybia, the
French weren't about to let Lybia become a nuclear power either.
Before you dump on the French, tell us who has been fighting
Lybian expansion in North Africa for teh last thirty years.

There was no active WMD program.

^^^^^^

Active being the operative word. Now, it'll hopefully be harder for
them to restart their WMD programs as well.

And the fact being that every nation with a chamical industry or
universities has a de facto formant WMD program.

Iran and North Korea are exhibiting their fear by making nukes as
quickly as possible.

So, do you think that's wise of them, all things considered?

Bush has already proved to them that the US uses diplomacy as
a distraction while building up for military action.

--

FF

Dave Hinz wrote:

See above. Best available intel said he was being a problem.

Wrong. An examination of the data available at the time the
October, 2002 NIE was released shows that intel was carefully
selected to exaggerated the danger psoed by Iraq.

By March 2003 far better intel was available that clearly showed
the NIE to be wrong.

Maybe
he was - we gave him more than a decade to hide the stuff, y'know?

No matter how often you repeat that lie it remains a lie.

From 1991 to 1998 UNSCOM was on the ground in Iraq searching,

removing and destroying. From 1999 to 2002 Iraq had time to
hide anything that wasn't destroyed in Operation Desert Fox.
and anything produced during the inspections hiatus.

In 2002, and 2003, inspections showed that materials that
had been inventoried and tagged were still intact under
IAEA and UNSCOM seal providing storng evidence that no
WMD programs were resumed during that period. The
'discrepencies' Blix referred to in his reports between
the Iraqi declarations and what UNMOVIC could acccount for
were almost all a 'discrepency' between Iraqi documentation
and US _estimates_.

Given that the US was caught red-handed foisting forged
documents on the IAEA how much trust would any reasonable
person have for the Bush administration? That's the
major point. To believe that Iraq was in compliance one
need only rely on independently verified FACT. To believe
that Iraq was not in compliance one has to trust a proven
lian.

--

FF

Dave Hinz

wrote:
"Can't find 'em" doesn't mean "aren't here" or even "weren't here",
Nate.

You can't find the Lock Ness moster, Yeti, Alien abductors either,
or a live T.Rex either. Doesn't mean they aren't here or even
weren't here.

Here, hypocrite Fred (who bitches about off-topic posts) posts to
an offtopic thread. While crossposting outside of this group.
He makes a stupid point, to boot. Fred, those things have never
been _known_ to exist, while SH's WMD are known _to_ have existed.
Maybe that's a subtle difference to you, but I don't think anyone but
you would confuse hidden and/or moved and/or used up and/or destroyed
WMD with fairy tales.

Of course he had them 20 years earlier. At the time Saddam was

using
chemical weapons, we were rooting for him in his war with Iran.

What about the Sarin shell that injured our guys, Nate? Don't they
count? Did it not exist? Couple liters of Sarin, what, that's not
enough M to be a W of MD?

Love the way you refer to ONE (1) sarin shell as 'they'.

Lovely, a grammar kop now.

As you know, Iraq declared to UNSCOM that it had produced and
test fired about 70 prototype sarin of that design. No data
are available as to how may detonated on impact or were recovered.

In other words, they didn't do the paperwork they promised to do,
and WMD exists that they said didn't. Gotcha.

ISG was unable to determine whether or not that one (1) had
been fired or not.

Relevance being ...???

So as you know, that shell (note singular) is not evidence of
a violation of the sanctions.

Riiiiiight, it just happened to be right there, purely a mistake,
woopsie, could have happened to anyone.

You're a fool if you don't think that's what was going on when the UN
was pussyfooting around saying "Oh, pleeeeease let us come in? Come

on,
Pleeeeease?".

Could you try to be a bit more mature?

It's effectively true. All the UN would do was use mildly harsh
language to "demand" access, and he stonewalled until he was done
hiding or moving his stuff. When there was nothing left (to hide),
he let them come in.

You probably won't acknowledge Libya's disarming is a result of
Bush's decisions either, I suppose.

I will. I will also acknowledge that North Korea and Iran went
the other way and accelerated their programs.

And you are saying that, because Bush is willing to attack someone
acting up, they decided to risk that? "Hey, there's this big
army right next door, so let's tone it up a bit"? Doubtful.
More likely they were going that direction anyway. These things
don't develop overnight, Fred.

I'll also point
out that being right accross the Mediteranean from Lybia, the
French weren't about to let Lybia become a nuclear power either.

The FRENCH? When the hell have they ever been worth a **** for
anything but wine & cheese?

Before you dump on the French,

Too late. Started decades ago.

tell us who has been fighting
Lybian expansion in North Africa for teh last thirty years.

Um, I'll take "Egypt" for 500, Alex.

There was no active WMD program.

^^^^^^

Active being the operative word. Now, it'll hopefully be harder for
them to restart their WMD programs as well.

And the fact being that every nation with a chamical industry or
universities has a de facto formant WMD program.

I notice that you snipped the part about the uranium centrifuge parts
and the bio-lab trailers that were hidden/buried. Why is that, Fred
(asked Dave, knowing exactly why...)

Iran and North Korea are exhibiting their fear by making nukes as
quickly as possible.

So, do you think that's wise of them, all things considered?

Bush has already proved to them that the US uses diplomacy as
a distraction while building up for military action.

So, are you saying he should attack without diplomacy, as soon as he
checks for permission from you, or what's your point?

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:35:12 -0600, Swingman wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:27:35 -0600, wrote:

I'm not sure if I should be honored, or offended?

It would be interesting to know _why_ you would be offended?

Well, calling someone a politician could be interpreted in several
ways. I'll take it as it seems you meant it, though, and say "thanks".

Dave

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:03:48 GMT, Ned wrote:
On 17 Feb 2005 22:02:46 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

snip for brevity

Great. Now I don't know what specifically I said that you're responding
to. There's brevity, then there's "leave in some freaking context,
wouldja?".

Trying to understand you and BTW, Are you a Christians and which
Church do you go to?

Not relevant. The points I make aren't related to membership or
attendance at a church. That's my point - you're assuming something
that (a) doesn't relate, and (b) doesn't matter, based on a disagreement
that we apparently have.

Dave Hinz wrote:
On 18 Feb 2005 10:55:40 -0800,

wrote:
"Can't find 'em" doesn't mean "aren't here" or even "weren't

here",
Nate.

You can't find the Lock Ness moster, Yeti, Alien abductors either,
or a live T.Rex either. Doesn't mean they aren't here or even
weren't here.

Here, hypocrite Fred (who bitches about off-topic posts) posts to
an offtopic thread. While crossposting outside of this group.
He makes a stupid point, to boot. Fred, those things have never
been _known_ to exist, while SH's WMD are known _to_ have existed.

1) T. Rex was included in the list precisely because it was known
to have existed.

2) In Iraq today the US is fighting insurgents. The insurgents
fight in civlian clothing for two important reasons.

a) If they wore uniforms, gathered in mass and engaged in a
a stand-up fight with the US they would be immediately wiped
out.

b) By fighting the US in civilian clothing they force the US
to treat Iraqi civilians with suspician, driving a wedge
between the US troops and the indigenous population.

c) They don't have uniforms to wear.

Now, some people will bitch and moan and complain that the
isurgency doesn't fight fair but the fact is the US has but two
choices, to fight as best we can despite the circumstances the
insurgency is perverting to their advantage or give up.

Here on rec.woodworking today you post OT with a vague subject
line instead of posting in a proper newsgroup with a subject line
that is informative. Obviously your motivation is the same
as 2) a) above. If you were to stick to the rules you'd post
in a newsgroup where the issues you wished to discuss were on-
topic and with an informative subject line. Then other authors
knowledgible in the topic would engage you and you wouldn't
have a chance.

My choices are to do the best I can despite the circumstances you
have perverted to your advantage, or to give up. I am not willing
to let evil win without a fight.

Love the way you refer to ONE (1) sarin shell as 'they'.

Lovely, a grammar kop now.

Nice revisionism now that you were caught trying to misrepresent
one shell as many.

As you know, Iraq declared to UNSCOM that it had produced and
test fired about 70 prototype sarin of that design. No data
are available as to how may detonated on impact or were recovered.

In other words, they didn't do the paperwork they promised to do,
and WMD exists that they said didn't. Gotcha.

IOW they declared to UNSCOM that they were fired and they
didn't know if any unexploded shells were still somewhere
out in the desert along with perhaps 10% of all of the
munitions fired in the Iran-Iraq war--including chemical
munitions.

ISG was unable to determine whether or not that one (1) had
been fired or not.

Relevance being ...???

That the Iraqi declarations are consistant with the observed reality.

So as you know, that shell (note singular) is not evidence of
a violation of the sanctions.

Riiiiiight, it just happened to be right there, purely a mistake,
woopsie, could have happened to anyone.

Obviously the insurgents mistakenly thought it was HE. Where
do you think the insurgents get their IED material if not from
unexploded munitions combed from old battlefields and test ranges?

It's effectively true. All the UN would do was use mildly harsh
language to "demand" access, and he stonewalled until he was done
hiding or moving his stuff. When there was nothing left (to hide),
he let them come in.

To the contrary, Blix described the Iraqi 2002-2003 cooperation
as 'unprecedented'. Again, you are either deceptively omitting
the time frame of your vague assertions or outright lying
about the degree of access UNMOVIC enjoyed in 2002-2003.

At least you admit that after Desert Fox, Iraq had nothing
left to hide. Thank you for agreeing, though I'll argue
that the threat of force also had something to do with it.

You probably won't acknowledge Libya's disarming is a result of
Bush's decisions either, I suppose.

I will. I will also acknowledge that North Korea and Iran went
the other way and accelerated their programs.

And you are saying that, because Bush is willing to attack someone
acting up, they decided to risk that? "Hey, there's this big
army right next door, so let's tone it up a bit"? Doubtful.
More likely they were going that direction anyway. These things
don't develop overnight, Fred.

They decided that not being able to defend themselves was riskier
than relying on the good will of the US.

There was no active WMD program.
^^^^^^

Active being the operative word. Now, it'll hopefully be harder

for
them to restart their WMD programs as well.

And the fact being that every nation with a chamical industry or
universities has a de facto formant WMD program.

I notice that you snipped the part about the uranium centrifuge parts
and the bio-lab trailers that were hidden/buried. Why is that, Fred
(asked Dave, knowing exactly why...)

The Uranium centrifuge parts, being buried in someone's
front yard for over a decade, clearly were not part of an
ACTIVE, WMD program. 'Active' as you noted befor, being the
operant word. No one ever argued that Saddam Hussein could
be trusted, that was one of Bush's lies. No one ever argued
that Iraq would not resume WMD production if it could--that
was another of Bush's lies. The argument was that Iraq had
not and could not, hence no need for immediate military action.

No one has found mobile biological labs. The trailers that
were found were equippped with high capacity refrigerated
reaction vessels and compressors and cylinders for collectng
the evolved gas. That, and the trace evidence in the trailers
makes it clear that these were mobile hydrogen generators.
The CIA used to have a page with pictures of the actual
trailers, if it is still up, you can look for yourself.

Nobody bright enough to be able to make a mobile biological
lab would be stupid enough to try to capture the evolved
gasses by compressing them into cylinders and even if they
were, the capacity of the refrigeration and gas collection
system greatly exceeds anything that would be needed to
do that.

Since you knew your information was false, why'd you bring it up?

Iran and North Korea are exhibiting their fear by making nukes

as
quickly as possible.

So, do you think that's wise of them, all things considered?

Bush has already proved to them that the US uses diplomacy as
a distraction while building up for military action.

So, are you saying he should attack without diplomacy, as soon as he
checks for permission from you, or what's your point?

I'm sure he's quite beyond taking morality-based advice but he should
try honesty.

--

FF

mp

Really. On that day, how could anyone have performed worse than Bush? Do
you
think Gore or any other sane person would have stood around and listened
goat stories while New York burned?

And he should have rushed out and peed on the towers to put the flames out
right? Kerry said they sat around stunned for 45 minutes. I think it was a
normal reaction, not much could have been done after the fact but your
criticism is typical of the left. Keep it up, I like the results.

It's pretty hard to argue against someone who thinks a normal reaction is
sitting around listening to goat stories with a dumb deer-in-the-headlights
stare while the country you're responsible for (specifically the commerce
center of the world) is being attacked and destroyed.

Rick Cook

Doug Miller wrote:
In article 1, Nate Perkins wrote:

"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote in :

Maybe someone over there can explain in terms you
can understand that the UN had mandated that
Saddam was to destroy his WMDs under UN
supervision. Ya see, no one trusted him at that point.

Subsequent investigations have all concluded that he did exactly that,
shortly after the first Gulf War.

Ummm, no, they didn't, and, no, he didn't. What part of "under UN supervision"
do you not understand? Saddam may have destroyed those weapons, but the UN
mandated that they be destroyed under UN supervision so that it could be
*verified* that they were destroyed. That did *not* happen.

--
Regards,

Actually Doug, it's worse than that.

Whether this is lack of knowledge or historical revisionism toward a
domestic political goal, I can't say.

What some folks are ignoring is that Saddam did _not_ dismantle his WMD
program after the Gulf War. He continued his biological weapons programs
under the noses of the UN inspectors, all the while swearing up and down
he had dismantled them.

This came to light when Saddam's son-in-law, Hussein Kamel al-Majid,
defected in 1995 and blew the whistle on him.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...defectors.html

The UN inspectors were completely hoodwinked. That included the
inspector in charge of the program -- a guy by the name of Hans Blix.
You may have heard of him.

This also ignores the 9/11 Commission's conclusion that Saddam intended
to re-start his WMD programs as soon as sanctions were lifted.

Oh yeah, about that Sarin gas shell used as a roadside bomb. Two
significant facts that seem to have eluded the critics are 1) all those
shells were reported to the UN inspectors as destroyed. 2) the shell was
not marked as a chemical weapon at all. In fact it was unmarked.

Fundamentally as far as I can see, almost none of the criticism is about
our real failings in Iraq. It is instead about domestic politics and the
fact that these are the policies of a president who is roundly,
thoroughly hated. As a result most of the criticism is either profoundly
ignorant or very much beside the point.

Our mistakes in Iraq have been many and severe, notably not using enough
troops, but you'd be hard put to learn about them by reading most of the
critics.

--RC

Rick Cook

Ned wrote:
On 17 Feb 2005 22:02:46 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

snip for brevity

Trying to understand you and BTW, Are you a Christians and which
Church do you go to?

Why? Is there some sort of religious purity test you have to pass before
your comments are to be taken seriously?

Or are you just searching for an excuse to write off posts you can't
argue with logically?

--RC

Dave Hinz

On 18 Feb 2005 12:46:58 -0800, wrote:

Knock it off with the followup games already, wouldja?

Dave Hinz wrote:

Lovely, a grammar kop now.

Nice revisionism now that you were caught trying to misrepresent
one shell as many.

Yeah, whatever you say fred. Now you can read my mind, too? That's,
er, incredible.

As you know, Iraq declared to UNSCOM that it had produced and
test fired about 70 prototype sarin of that design. No data
are available as to how may detonated on impact or were recovered.

In other words, they didn't do the paperwork they promised to do,
and WMD exists that they said didn't. Gotcha.

IOW they declared to UNSCOM that they were fired and they
didn't know if any unexploded shells were still somewhere
out in the desert along with perhaps 10% of all of the
munitions fired in the Iran-Iraq war--including chemical
munitions.

In other words, there could still be a ****load of buried WMD in
Iraq. Good to see you finally acknowledge that fact.

ISG was unable to determine whether or not that one (1) had
been fired or not.

Relevance being ...???

That the Iraqi declarations are consistant with the observed reality.

If you believe that that shell just -happened- to be there, I
suppose.

So as you know, that shell (note singular) is not evidence of
a violation of the sanctions.

Riiiiiight, it just happened to be right there, purely a mistake,
woopsie, could have happened to anyone.

Obviously the insurgents mistakenly thought it was HE. Where
do you think the insurgents get their IED material if not from
unexploded munitions combed from old battlefields and test ranges?

Obviously they have more sources than just salvage.

It's effectively true. All the UN would do was use mildly harsh
language to "demand" access, and he stonewalled until he was done
hiding or moving his stuff. When there was nothing left (to hide),
he let them come in.

To the contrary, Blix described the Iraqi 2002-2003 cooperation
as 'unprecedented'.

In other words, in 2002-2003 they finally started cooperating, and
previously, they hadn't been. Yes, once again, you make my point
for me.

Again, you are either deceptively omitting
the time frame of your vague assertions or outright lying
about the degree of access UNMOVIC enjoyed in 2002-2003.

How about, say, the end of Desert Storm until 2002, Fred?

At least you admit that after Desert Fox, Iraq had nothing
left to hide.

Don't misstate my points. I say he has nothing left to hide, because
he's hidden it all already. That's not the same has he has nothing.
(here comes word-games Fred saying "he's in custody, he HAS nothing" -
don't bother).

Thank you for agreeing, though I'll argue
that the threat of force also had something to do with it.

Red herring; rejected.

You probably won't acknowledge Libya's disarming is a result of
Bush's decisions either, I suppose.

I will. I will also acknowledge that North Korea and Iran went
the other way and accelerated their programs.

And you are saying that, because Bush is willing to attack someone
acting up, they decided to risk that? "Hey, there's this big
army right next door, so let's tone it up a bit"? Doubtful.
More likely they were going that direction anyway. These things
don't develop overnight, Fred.

They decided that not being able to defend themselves was riskier
than relying on the good will of the US.

Their choice. If they make the wrong move, they'll pay for it. Too
bad they didn't learn by example.

There was no active WMD program.
^^^^^^

Active being the operative word. Now, it'll hopefully be harder

for
them to restart their WMD programs as well.

And the fact being that every nation with a chamical industry or
universities has a de facto formant WMD program.

I notice that you snipped the part about the uranium centrifuge parts
and the bio-lab trailers that were hidden/buried. Why is that, Fred
(asked Dave, knowing exactly why...)

The Uranium centrifuge parts, being buried in someone's
front yard for over a decade, clearly were not part of an
ACTIVE, WMD program.

No ****. But it certainly shows intent to resume one, which is
now much more difficult than it was before.

'Active' as you noted befor, being the
operant word.

So, you're saying the madman is free to have whatever the hell he wants,
as long as he's not producing WMD's at that very moment? Amazing.

No one ever argued that Saddam Hussein could
be trusted, that was one of Bush's lies.

Nice deception there. At the time SH was being supported, he was
the lesser of two evils.

No one ever argued
that Iraq would not resume WMD production if it could--that
was another of Bush's lies.

I think you just added an extra negative there. Iraq most definately
would have been happy for the UN to get out of their hair so they
could keep making WMD.

The argument was that Iraq had
not and could not, hence no need for immediate military action.

Riiiiight. Let's wait until we have been attacked, and _then_ do it.
That's a great idea.

No one has found mobile biological labs. The trailers that
were found were equippped with high capacity refrigerated
reaction vessels and compressors and cylinders for collectng
the evolved gas. That, and the trace evidence in the trailers
makes it clear that these were mobile hydrogen generators.
The CIA used to have a page with pictures of the actual
trailers, if it is still up, you can look for yourself.

I'll just wander around the internet until I find whatever
you may or may not be talking about. Not.

Nobody bright enough to be able to make a mobile biological
lab would be stupid enough to try to capture the evolved
gasses by compressing them into cylinders and even if they
were, the capacity of the refrigeration and gas collection
system greatly exceeds anything that would be needed to
do that.

In other words, you would design them differently if your
assumptions are correct. And?

Since you knew your information was false, why'd you bring it up?

Iran and North Korea are exhibiting their fear by making nukes

as
quickly as possible.

So, do you think that's wise of them, all things considered?

Bush has already proved to them that the US uses diplomacy as
a distraction while building up for military action.

So, are you saying he should attack without diplomacy, as soon as he
checks for permission from you, or what's your point?

I'm sure he's quite beyond taking morality-based advice but he should
try honesty.

What the hell does "morality-based advice" mean in fred-speak?

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Nate Perkins wrote:
SNIP

I agree with respect to Afghanistan. I don't agree with respect to

Palestine; I think you want to take credit where none is due.

Really? Do you seriously think the post-Yassar regime' would be
negotiating were it not for US pressure.

I think the death of Yassar Arafat was probably more beneficial than
any US 'pressure'. More than putting pressure on anyone in particular
I think the Bush administration enabled everyone to rachet up the
violence. Note that there isn't much pressure on Russia or
Turkmenistan
to move toward, nor on Pakistan to move back to Democracy these days.

There was no active WMD program. And you exaggerate the strength

of his
army -- all of which had weapons that were 15 years out of date,

had no
spares, and was 1/3 the size it had been during Gulf War I.

OK - so it was the 8th or 9th or Whatever-Makes-You-Happy largest
army in the world. Nitpicking at minor details doesn't change the
larger point - we neutralized one of the top N military threats in

the world.

Back when Iraq HAD a bigger army and were supported by the US and the
Soviet Union they fought to a draw with Iran while Iran was subject to
sanctions so severe that their fighter pilots sometimes had to
communicate
with each other with hand signals becuase their radios didn't work.

Then they invaded Kuwait. You know what happened after that.

So, just who was iraq going to invade next? Syria? Turkey?
They might have been able to take on Jordan. But I think
Saddam Hussein knew the US wouldn't let them get away with
that either. He wasn't terribly bright, but he wasn't
suicidely stupid either.

Middle East peace and Jesus" it makes me even more nervous.

This is the disease of the neo-cons. They have some weird religious
version of Manifest Destiny running around in their heads.

I think Manifest destiny is merely a secular presentation of the
Protestant Doctrine of Predestination, similar to how 'Intelligent
Design' is simply a secular presentation of the Protestant Doctrine
of Creationism. Consider the contrast between the Protestant
Colonization of Eastern North America and the Catholic colonization
of Western North America. The Protestants simply supplanted
the Native Americans, driving them out. The Catholics herded
them into missions to convert them into Catholics and assimilate
them into the Colonial society. Around the world you'll find
various Protestant sects established in part on the doctrine
that the local natives had no souls.

The good thing
is that their deep religiosity makes it natural for them to be able

spot and name Evil - something the Libs largely don't even believe

exists.

Open your eyes man!

I challenge you to find a Liberal that doesn't quickly agree that
Saddam Hussein is evil or a neo-con who will admit to any evilness
in Falwell, Robinson, Bush, Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld, Limbaugh,
Limbacher or Gonzales.

Lots of liberals will freely admit that perjury about a blow-job
is perjury, even if it's not 'bad enough' to justify throwing the
President out of office. But try to find a neo-con that thinks
torturing prisoners is worth even appointing a special prosecutor.

Far from being able to spot evil the neo-cons by and large are either
bland to or (given that they aren't ALL stupid) happy to deny the
most dangerous of evil men in their midst, those that attack the
moral priciples themselves

I used to despise the Left and Right equally - they both want to
screw people out of their lives, money, and freedom to apply
it to their pet causes. But the events of the past 4 years have
demonstrated that the Left is considerably worse and more dangerous.
In addition to wanting to "screw people out of ..." they also wish to
impose their secular version of Right and Wrong which is essentially
a denial that the latter innately exists.

I don't agree that the Left, however defined (personally I find
such characterisations as Left, Right, Liberal, and neo-con to
be not particularly useful)
may leave us open to physical attack but the neo-cons attack
the very moral principles that make America worth fighting for.

Which is why I fight them. I oppose them as a matter of moral
principle. Deceit and dishonesty are wrong. Torture and murder
are wrong. Chosing unpopular victims for the object of those
exercises does not change that.

Lefties that lie, cheat, and steal are wrong too. They typically
do not engage in torture or murder though. That they leave to
the craven cowards and pucilinious wimps among the neo-cons.

Iran and North Korea are exhibiting their fear by making nukes as
quickly as possible.

And that, of course, was not happening under previous administrations
right?

Under the previous administration the North Korean program was
stopped dead in its tracks. Dunno about Iran. But, no evidence
of NPT violations by Iran has emrged. Thus far if Iran has any
violations, they have kept them well-hidden while being quite
bold about their actions within the NPT limitations.

They've skillfully out-manouvered the US on the diplomatic front.
As you know, so long as Iran does not violate the NPT, and thus
far there has been no evidence that they have, the US and other
nuclear powers are REQUIRED to assist Iran in nuclear development.

Of course when the only American Diplomat with two brain cells
to rub together is shackled and gagged that's not too tough.

--

FF

Fletis Humplebacker

"mp"
Really. On that day, how could anyone have performed worse than Bush? Do
you
think Gore or any other sane person would have stood around and listened
goat stories while New York burned?

And he should have rushed out and peed on the towers to put the flames out
right? Kerry said they sat around stunned for 45 minutes. I think it was a
normal reaction, not much could have been done after the fact but your
criticism is typical of the left. Keep it up, I like the results.

It's pretty hard to argue against someone who thinks a normal reaction is
sitting around listening to goat stories with a dumb deer-in-the-headlights
stare while the country you're responsible for (specifically the commerce
center of the world) is being attacked and destroyed.

At least you aren't one of those who thinks he knew before the
attacks happened or was in on it. I'm still not sure what you think
he should have done at the moment.

Fletis Humplebacker wrote:
[...]

Clearly he did nothing for the rest of the day except make a
brief speech. It was one thing to leave Cheney in charge while
en route to AF1 from the school. But Cheney stayed in charge
of the nation's defense that day even after Bush was aboard AF1.

AF1 is designed specifically to permit the US president to
manage the national defense while airborne. That Bush left the
defense of the nation to Cheney is a clear indication that
Bush knew he was the less competent of the two.

I'm glad that when the chips were down he stepped aside and
let the more competent person take over. I'm not happy to
have a President who is not competent to be Comander-in-Chief.

--

FF

Dave Hinz wrote:
On 18 Feb 2005 12:46:58 -0800,

wrote:

Knock it off with the followup games already, wouldja?

How typical of an evil person. Not content with merely getting
away with doing something wrong, you insist on trying to corrupt
others as well.

Won't work on me.

Dave Hinz wrote:

As you know, Iraq declared to UNSCOM that it had produced and
test fired about 70 prototype sarin of that design. No data
are available as to how may detonated on impact or were

recovered.

In other words, they didn't do the paperwork they promised to do,
and WMD exists that they said didn't. Gotcha.

IOW they declared to UNSCOM that they were fired and they
didn't know if any unexploded shells were still somewhere
out in the desert along with perhaps 10% of all of the
munitions fired in the Iran-Iraq war--including chemical
munitions.

In other words, there could still be a ****load of buried WMD in
Iraq. Good to see you finally acknowledge that fact.

I'm glad to see that you aknowledge that unrecovered duds on
abandoned test ranges and old battlefields are not a violation
of the UN sanctions.

ISG was unable to determine whether or not that one (1) had
been fired or not.

Relevance being ...???

That the Iraqi declarations are consistant with the observed

reality.

If you believe that that shell just -happened- to be there, I
suppose.

If it wasn't there, how could the insurgents have found it?

Obviously the insurgents mistakenly thought it was HE. Where
do you think the insurgents get their IED material if not from
unexploded munitions combed from old battlefields and test ranges?

Obviously they have more sources than just salvage.

For small arms, sure. So where do YOU think they get unexploded
155s?

It's effectively true. All the UN would do was use mildly harsh
language to "demand" access, and he stonewalled until he was done
hiding or moving his stuff. When there was nothing left (to

hide),
he let them come in.

To the contrary, Blix described the Iraqi 2002-2003 cooperation
as 'unprecedented'.

In other words, in 2002-2003 they finally started cooperating, and
previously, they hadn't been. Yes, once again, you make my point
for me.

Now you admit that when threatened with US action Iraq caved and
cooperated. That is the point I was making all along. Thank
you for admitting I was correct.

Again, you are either deceptively omitting
the time frame of your vague assertions or outright lying
about the degree of access UNMOVIC enjoyed in 2002-2003.

How about, say, the end of Desert Storm until 2002, Fred?

How about all that stuff destroyed under UNSCOM supervison,
Mr Hinz?

At least you admit that after Desert Fox, Iraq had nothing
left to hide.

Don't misstate my points. I say he has nothing left to hide, because
he's hidden it all already. That's not the same has he has nothing.
(here comes word-games Fred saying "he's in custody, he HAS nothing"

-
don't bother).

Like what and where? Please be specific.

They decided that not being able to defend themselves was riskier
than relying on the good will of the US.

Their choice. If they make the wrong move, they'll pay for it. Too
bad they didn't learn by example.

They did learn from example. Iraq cooperated and was invaded anyhow.
They are not about to make the same mistake as Saddam Hussein.
Why do you thkn Bush made his Plan Nine demand, that Iraq prove
it did not have WMD? That was a demand that could not be met.
Bush did not want Saddam Hussein to stay in power, no matter what.

Of course there are differences. China restricts US action against
North Korea and Iran is far more populous than Iraq.

There was no active WMD program.
^^^^^^

Active being the operative word. Now, it'll hopefully be

harder
for
them to restart their WMD programs as well.

And the fact being that every nation with a chamical industry or
universities has a de facto formant WMD program.

I notice that you snipped the part about the uranium centrifuge

parts
and the bio-lab trailers that were hidden/buried. Why is that,

Fred
(asked Dave, knowing exactly why...)

The Uranium centrifuge parts, being buried in someone's
front yard for over a decade, clearly were not part of an
ACTIVE, WMD program.

No ****. But it certainly shows intent to resume one, which is
now much more difficult than it was before.

No one ever denied that Saddam Hussein had the intent to make WMD,
that was one of Bush's lies.

'Active' as you noted befor, being the
operant word.

So, you're saying the madman is free to have whatever the hell he

wants,
as long as he's not producing WMD's at that very moment? Amazing.

No, I am saying only what I've written.

No one ever argued that Saddam Hussein could
be trusted, that was one of Bush's lies.

Nice deception there. At the time SH was being supported, he was
the lesser of two evils.

Huh? Not only do you not address my remarks, you refer to something
else, what exactly?

No one ever argued
that Iraq would not resume WMD production if it could--that
was another of Bush's lies.

I think you just added an extra negative there. Iraq most definately
would have been happy for the UN to get out of their hair so they
could keep making WMD.

Again we agree. That's what I said.

The argument was that Iraq had
not and could not, hence no need for immediate military action.

Riiiiight. Let's wait until we have been attacked, and _then_ do it.
That's a great idea.

Even if Iraq HAD a vast chemical and biological arsenal and a few
nuclear weapons Iraq STILL would not have attacked the US. Again
Saddam Hussein was not terribly bright, but he was not suicidely
stupid.

http://www.odci.gov/cia/reports/iraq...nts/index.html

Nobody bright enough to be able to make a mobile biological
lab would be stupid enough to try to capture the evolved
gasses by compressing them into cylinders and even if they
were, the capacity of the refrigeration and gas collection
system greatly exceeds anything that would be needed to
do that.

In other words, you would design them differently if your
assumptions are correct. And?

No, they would be designed differently if YOUR assumptions were
correct. Geez, you really are stupid, aren't you?

I'm sure he's quite beyond taking morality-based advice but he

should
try honesty.

What the hell does "morality-based advice" mean in fred-speak?

It means based on morality. No doubt an alien concept to the likes
of you.

--

FF

Urgent and vitally important party shoes question! Abso UK diy 9 January 7th 05 11:02 AM
What is the most important Ray Sandusky Woodturning 34 November 17th 04 01:47 AM
Important! Jack Electronics Repair 4 October 24th 03 08:01 PM
Important Tip Jim Stewart Metalworking 2 September 14th 03 06:11 AM