Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT beetroot juice

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
On 06/04/2016 21:42, Rod Speed wrote:

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
On 06/04/2016 18:29, Nightjar cpb wrote:
On 06/04/2016 13:13, Stuart Noble wrote:
IIRC there was some discussion recently about the above re blood
pressure. Having had some unpleasant experiences with the legal
high known as beta blockers (and now also with amlodipine), I'm
determined to get off medication altogether. I've got me a Nutri
Ninja but I hate beetroot, so anyone got any alternatives? Not that
keen on kale either as it happens :-)

As the patient information leaflet tells you, don't stop taking beta
blockers suddenly. That can cause serious problems. Instead,
preferably in consultation with your doctor, reduce the dose slowly
over time. This gives the body time to recover from its reliance upon
the drug. You may also find that the side effects disappear at a
lower dose level. I halved my dose over a couple of weeks and that
got rid of the tiredness and numbness in my feet that I had
identified as probably being side effects.

I'd only been on bbs for a couple of days and, frankly, I wasn't
prepared to put up with the side effects I was getting. In fact I'm
beginning to wonder whether medication is appropriate at all in most
cases.

More fool you on that last.

http://www.cochrane.org/CD006742/HTN...on-are-unclear

Thats MILD hypertension, stupid.

That's the whole point.

Nope.

Most prescriptions are for what is now termed "MILD" (diastolic 90-99).

That's a lie.

Which bit of the argument did you have trouble with?

That lie of yours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 09:20:21 +0100, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Thanks. I already swallow a clove of garlic before breakfast so I guess
I'm already benefiting from that.

The allicin which the study refers to is released when the cell walls of the
garlic are broken, and two substances react chemically.

So it may be better to not swallow whole, but to crush, chop, mince, press, or
grate the garlic. This will depend on if you are choking down a clove of that
vile medicine, or delect in the noble aroma of garlic.

Here, more about this, as a food:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/h...lic-press.html

Anecdotally, I know of one person with low blood pressure that avoids garlic in
food because it further lowers their blood pressure to the point that it is
uncomfortable.

Also, a 24 hour blood pressure recorder/monitor thing may be in order, to show
what your blood pressure is when you are not looking -- once you start worrying
about it, the act of measuring it may change it...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2016 18:54, Stuart Noble wrote:

I'd only been on bbs for a couple of days and, frankly, I wasn't
prepared to put up with the side effects I was getting. In fact I'm
beginning to wonder whether medication is appropriate at all in most cases.
http://www.cochrane.org/CD006742/HTN...on-are-unclear

There used to be a good series of articles in the Telegraph, written by
Dr Le Fanu, and his article on over medication sparked a huge response.
Unfortunately the DT seem to have adopted the same awful layout that the
grundian and indy are using and all the old articles have gone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Stuart Noble wrote:
On 06/04/2016 21:42, Rod Speed wrote:

That's MILD hypertension, stupid.

That's the whole point. Most prescriptions are for what is now termed
"MILD" (diastolic 90-99). Which bit of the argument did you have trouble
with?

Please don't feed the troll.

Troll spelt prick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also, a 24 hour blood pressure recorder/monitor thing may be in order, to show
what your blood pressure is when you are not looking -- once you start worrying
about it, the act of measuring it may change it...

Yep, been there, done that.
I don't wear a white coat when taking my BP, just in case!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks. I already swallow a clove of garlic before breakfast so I guess
I'm already benefiting from that.

The allicin which the study refers to is released when the cell walls of the
garlic are broken, and two substances react chemically.

So it may be better to not swallow whole, but to crush, chop, mince, press, or
grate the garlic. This will depend on if you are choking down a clove of that
vile medicine, or delect in the noble aroma of garlic.

If you don't love garlic, slicing it thin & distributing it over a piece of buttered bread helps hugely. Chew it properly before swallowing for best allicin production.

Beetroot plus lettuce is a combination that surprisingly improves its taste, and yes you can use lettuce in soups.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 13:11:06 UTC+1, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 07/04/2016 12:53, tabbypurr wrote:

If you don't love garlic, slicing it thin & distributing it over a
piece of buttered bread helps hugely. Chew it properly before
swallowing for best allicin production.

Beetroot plus lettuce is a combination that surprisingly improves its
taste, and yes you can use lettuce in soups.

I think I might switch to celery instead. That I quite like, although my
sons can't bear it. Who knows how these lifelong aversions come about

They're an evolutionary survival tactic. If a food source turns bad, at least some will survive and the village/tribe continues.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2016 15:01, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 13:11:06 UTC+1, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 07/04/2016 12:53, tabbypurr wrote:

If you don't love garlic, slicing it thin & distributing it over a
piece of buttered bread helps hugely. Chew it properly before
swallowing for best allicin production.

Beetroot plus lettuce is a combination that surprisingly improves its
taste, and yes you can use lettuce in soups.

I think I might switch to celery instead. That I quite like, although
my sons can't bear it. Who knows how these lifelong aversions come about

They're an evolutionary survival tactic. If a food source turns bad,
at least
some will survive and the village/tribe continues.

I think it's more likely to be a defence tactic the body uses when it
knows a certain food is bad for it. For someone else, that food will be
good and doesn't taste awful to them.

Now that's what I need to hear. Doughnuts are good, broccoli is bad. Hooray!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
wrote:

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 13:11:06 UTC+1, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 07/04/2016 12:53, tabbypurr wrote:

If you don't love garlic, slicing it thin & distributing it over a
piece of buttered bread helps hugely. Chew it properly before
swallowing for best allicin production.

Beetroot plus lettuce is a combination that surprisingly improves its
taste, and yes you can use lettuce in soups.

I think I might switch to celery instead. That I quite like, although my sons can't
bear it. Who knows how these lifelong aversions come about

They're an evolutionary survival tactic. If a food source turns bad, at least
some will survive and the village/tribe continues.

I think it's more likely to be a defence tactic the body uses when it
knows a certain food is bad for it. For someone else, that food will be
good and doesn't taste awful to them.

Basic physiology suggests that's highly unlikey among healthy individuals
in the same population though, surely ? Although there are cultural traits
found in different populations lactose intolerance etc,

Taste preferences appear to start with breast milk, early family meals,
etc. and general social conditioning.

In this case Stuarts early life experiences with beetroot - when he first
encountered them, whether he was forced to eat them as a puniushment
as a child, memories he may have subsequently suppressed; apparently
all of these things can have an effect,

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message news:q7sNy.500003

I think I might switch to celery instead. That I quite like, although my sons can't
bear it. Who knows how these lifelong aversions come about

With celery, for some people at least, the aversion may be more
to do with the stringy texture, rather than the taste itself. The
same can apply with pineapple as well.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 16:03:35 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message news:q7sNy.500003

I think I might switch to celery instead. That I quite like, although my sons can't
bear it. Who knows how these lifelong aversions come about

With celery, for some people at least, the aversion may be more
to do with the stringy texture,

yes I have a friend that hates celery, and pinapple except the time he had it straight from a grower and fresh he cantl stand tinned pinaple of even those pots you get. But he does like fresh pinnaple as a sweet but NOT on pizzaz or on sticks with cheese.

rather than the taste itself. The
same can apply with pineapple as well.

Some say similar things about marmite.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 13:11:42 +0100, Stuart Noble
wrote:

I think I might switch to celery instead. That I quite like, although my
sons can't bear it. Who knows how these lifelong aversions come about

Or celeriac.

Celeriac mash is darn good, I think. (In the interest of disclosu I like
beetroot, though beetroot wine is something I'd only drink on a substantial
bet.)

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Ever since I had that salad sandwich in the west end 50 years
ago with added slug protein, I have avoided any green food. Seems to
have worked as a survival tactic!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2016 16:42, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

I think I might switch to celery instead. That I quite like, although
my sons can't bear it. Who knows how these lifelong aversions come about

Or celeriac.
Celeriac mash is darn good, I think. (In the interest of disclosu I
like
beetroot, though beetroot wine is something I'd only drink on a
substantial
bet.)

Is that sioply mashed celeriac, or mashed potatoes with some celeriac added?

Remoulade is the stuff. Common overseas where its a common staple of
salads but seems to be relatively unknown here. On our infrequent day
trips to France, usually come back with 400gm of it.

I positively enjoy making my own. As with so many things discussed here,
it needs the right tool, such as a Benriner Mandolin. Other than that
very easy. And very enjoyable. Nowadays you can readily buy Ood.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , S Viemeister
wrote:
I thought I might be able to tolerate beetroot in a
carrot-cake-like incarnation. Nope. Still tastes like
dirt.

I recognise that dirt/soil taste.

Try sliced beetroot with finely sliced or chopped garlic or
onion to get rid of that taste.

You benefit from beetroot AND garlic

Jogn

--
John Mulrooney

If you think you can - you can.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2016 22:09, Capitol wrote:
polygonum wrote:

Just so that you know, DHEA is a Controlled Drug within the UK. Listed
under the name Prasterone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drugs_...e_of_Drugs_Act

American friend, OTC in the US. Any Dr can prescribe if he
decides to do so.

The fact that it is readily available in other countries makes people
assume that it is legal here. And there are many websites which purport
to be UK ones which sell it. And, yes, if prescribed, that is OK - but
even then you have to sign for your prescription when collected.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote
wrote
Thomas Prufer wrote
[...]

Some of it its just psychological, one of the neighbour's kids refused
to have anything to do with pizza, says it looks like someone spewed
on the the pizza base.

With stuff like spinach and brussel sprouts and younger kids
its mostly because they taste much stronger to little kids than
they do to adults because of the way their systems work.

I can still remember a standoff with my mother about eating
them when I must have been about 8 or so, which I won.

OTOH apparently I was always into stuff like blue
vein cheese even before I could even talk properly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Stuart Noble wrote
tabbypurr wrote

If you don't love garlic, slicing it thin & distributing it
over a piece of buttered bread helps hugely. Chew it
properly before swallowing for best allicin production.

Beetroot plus lettuce is a combination that surprisingly
improves its taste, and yes you can use lettuce in soups.

I think I might switch to celery instead. That I quite like, although my
sons can't bear it. Who knows how these lifelong aversions come about

They're an evolutionary survival tactic. If a food source turns
bad, at least some will survive and the village/tribe continues.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Food sources don't turn bad in the sense that they
start killing people when they didn't previously.

And if you meant crop failure, it makes much
more sense to have evolved to be able to eat
almost anything and that is what humans have
done and we have seen people eat almost
anything when the **** hits the fan spectacularly
like it has in North Korea etc at times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 13:11:06 UTC+1, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 07/04/2016 12:53, tabbypurr wrote:

If you don't love garlic, slicing it thin & distributing it over a
piece of buttered bread helps hugely. Chew it properly before
swallowing for best allicin production.

Beetroot plus lettuce is a combination that surprisingly improves its
taste, and yes you can use lettuce in soups.

I think I might switch to celery instead. That I quite like, although my
sons can't bear it. Who knows how these lifelong aversions come about

They're an evolutionary survival tactic. If a food source turns bad, at
least
some will survive and the village/tribe continues.

I think it's more likely to be a defence tactic the body uses when it
knows a certain food is bad for it. For someone else, that food will be
good and doesn't taste awful to them.

In practice we have in fact evolved so that some
people just can't taste some things at all and others
are much more sensitive to that particular thing.

That appears to just be a quirk of evolution just
like the appendix is, not something that is an
evolutionary defence tactic. Same with eye color etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/7/2016 1:38 PM, news wrote:
In article , S Viemeister
wrote:
I thought I might be able to tolerate beetroot in a
carrot-cake-like incarnation. Nope. Still tastes like
dirt.

I recognise that dirt/soil taste.

Try sliced beetroot with finely sliced or chopped garlic or
onion to get rid of that taste.

You benefit from beetroot AND garlic

I've tried beetroot many times, in many ways. Never again.
Garlic, though, is a staple in our kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

wrote:

[...]

I never had anything like that with beetroot and always
removed the slice of beetroot from the commercial hamburger
whenever any hamburger I bought had one in it.

Since we never had beetroot at home, likely my
dislike of beetroot in the genes, not the jeans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 19:48:29 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
Stuart Noble wrote

I think I might switch to celery instead. That I quite like, although my
sons can't bear it. Who knows how these lifelong aversions come about

They're an evolutionary survival tactic. If a food source turns
bad, at least some will survive and the village/tribe continues.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Food sources don't turn bad in the sense that they
start killing people when they didn't previously.

Lol, ergotism anybody? Dodgy meat/fish etc.

And if you meant crop failure, it makes much
more sense to have evolved to be able to eat
almost anything and that is what humans have
done and we have seen people eat almost
anything when the **** hits the fan spectacularly
like it has in North Korea etc at times.

people do eat anything when sufficienly hungry.
Oh well, your run of 1 correct point couldn't last.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Stuart Noble wrote

I think I might switch to celery instead. That I quite like, although
my
sons can't bear it. Who knows how these lifelong aversions come about

They're an evolutionary survival tactic. If a food source turns
bad, at least some will survive and the village/tribe continues.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Food sources don't turn bad in the sense that they
start killing people when they didn't previously.

Lol,

Village eejut imitations cut no mustard around here, gutless.

ergotism anybody?

Didn't happen when humans were EVOLVING, stupid.

Dodgy meat/fish etc.

Haven't noticed any kids who refuse to eat any of those either.

And if you meant crop failure, it makes much
more sense to have evolved to be able to eat
almost anything and that is what humans have
done and we have seen people eat almost
anything when the **** hits the fan spectacularly
like it has in North Korea etc at times.

people do eat anything when sufficienly hungry.

And we can be confident they did that
when humans were EVOLVING, stupid.

reams of your even sillier stuff any 2 year old
could leave for dead flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 April 2016 01:19:32 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Stuart Noble wrote

[...]

come back if you ever get a clue. No-one appreciates your dense posts.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Stuart Noble wrote

[...]

reams of your desperate attempt at insults any 2 year
old could leave for dead flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Friday, 8 April 2016 01:19:32 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
And we can be confident they did that
when humans were EVOLVING, stupid.

reams of your even sillier stuff any 2 year old
could leave for dead flushed where it belongs

come back if you ever get a clue. No-one appreciates your dense posts.

NT

Or folk stupid enough to argue with trolls (repeatedly). Goodbye.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message

According to the self-bp machine at my local surgery, my BP drops from 115/90 to 99/67
so it definately works for me. *

ISTR you posted about the above, before.

All the figures you quote above, fall well within the normal range.
Enviously so, to many people, I'd imagine. Information
which is widely available on the web.

Why anyone with normal blood pressure should subject
themselves to drinking beetroot juice, unless they actually liked
the stuff, or should be visiting their doctors surgery to monitor
its effects on their BP, suggests only one thing to me.

Whatever the effect of beetroot juice might be on people such as
yourself with normal blood pressure, it certainly doesn't seem to
be doing much for your hypochondria.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

In this case Stuarts early life experiences with beetroot - when he first
encountered them, whether he was forced to eat them as a puniushment
as a child, memories he may have subsequently suppressed; apparently
all of these things can have an effect,

I never had anything like that with beetroot and always

Well you wouldn't as it wasn't meant entirely seriously.
I simply found the idea of a rebellious child being force
fed beetroot and everyone involved ending up getting covered
in beetroot juice rather amusing.

And in any case I did say the memories were suppressed.
No doubt leading to a rash of claims 50 or 60 years
later for historical beetroot abuse, compensation
claims, maybe even a rash of cold callers.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2016 09:01, michael adams wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message

According to the self-bp machine at my local surgery, my BP drops from 115/90 to 99/67
so it definately works for me. *

ISTR you posted about the above, before.

All the figures you quote above, fall well within the normal range.
Enviously so, to many people, I'd imagine. Information
which is widely available on the web.

Why anyone with normal blood pressure should subject
themselves to drinking beetroot juice, unless they actually liked
the stuff, or should be visiting their doctors surgery to monitor
its effects on their BP, suggests only one thing to me.

Whatever the effect of beetroot juice might be on people such as
yourself with normal blood pressure, it certainly doesn't seem to
be doing much for your hypochondria.

michael adams

Bear in mind that GPs are obsessed with prescribing blood pressure
pills, and they get very heavy handed if you try to reduce the dose. The
drugs are presumably cheap, so why wouldn't they keep you on them?

Last time I called a doc out I was undergoing a violent stomach episode.
First thing out of his bag was the blood pressure monitor. Later, in
hospital, when gastro consultant was told I had high bp, he said "Well
he would have wouldn't he?". A bit of common sense helps
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 17:42:47 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:

Ever since I had that salad sandwich in the west end 50 years
ago with added slug protein, I have avoided any green food. Seems to
have worked as a survival tactic!

Would that also work for the slug(s)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 April 2016 00:44:29 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

of course you can eat anything whether or not you'll get any nutritional or food value from it is another matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 April 2016 09:52:37 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

In this case Stuarts early life experiences with beetroot - when he first
encountered them, whether he was forced to eat them as a puniushment
as a child, memories he may have subsequently suppressed; apparently
all of these things can have an effect,

I never had anything like that with beetroot and always

Well you wouldn't as it wasn't meant entirely seriously.
I simply found the idea of a rebellious child being force
fed beetroot and everyone involved ending up getting covered
in beetroot juice rather amusing.

And in any case I did say the memories were suppressed.
No doubt leading to a rash of claims 50 or 60 years
later for historical beetroot abuse, compensation
claims, maybe even a rash of cold callers.

and if used on masterchef or other cooking programs you'd need to inform viewers that this program contains pictures of beetroot as a warning and to display a help line phone number or contact details of support groups.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry I'm not sure what point you're making. That simply from your
appearance it should be possible to conclude you had high BP ?
But your BP could have been off the scale for all your GP
knew.

I'll bet Doc Martin would have taken it as well. So there !

None of which, fortunately for him, applies to the person to whom
I was addressing the post.

Its purely up to you, but as an impartial observer it does seem to
me that you're allowing the issue of possible over prescription of
blood pressure medication to rather cloud your judgement in respect
of the medical profession in general. For myself until I've
perfected the art of practising open heart surgery on myself,
I'm prepared to take their word on a lot of things.

One thing I've never turned down are tests of any kind, whether
routine screening or being sent for tests by my GP. Most of
which fortunately for me have turned out to be totally
unnecessary.If you read medical sites on the web one thing
that strikes you are the number of US posters who suspect
they have some sort of condition who are saving up so they
can afford the test in maybe nine months time.

Gift horses and all that. (I've paid my stamps blah blah blah)
And so have I.

michael adams

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

[...]

Those insipid salads they used to serve up in the 50s. Yuk. Us kids were
rather good at concealing food in our pockets so that we could present
an empty plate to the dinner ladies. Got a bit tricky with pease pudding
mind (which I now love strangely)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , tim...
wrote:

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
IIRC there was some discussion recently about the above re blood
pressure. Having had some unpleasant experiences with the legal high
known as beta blockers

they made me need to go to the toilet 6 times every night

really debilitating

Perhaps you were taking a diuretic with it. BB alone shouldn't do that.

in combination with Lercanidipine, neither my GP not a London specialist
suggested it was a symptom created by an an "inappropriate" combination

--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem -
you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim... wrote:

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
IIRC there was some discussion recently about the above re blood
pressure. Having had some unpleasant experiences with the legal high
known as beta blockers

they made me need to go to the toilet 6 times every night

really debilitating

tim

Which species if beta blockers?

Bisoprolo Fumarate

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message

[...]

Having been told by a specialist, that if nothing else worked (he could try
me on a course of some expensive drugs @ £120 pm) I casually asked my GP
what was the cost of the drugs that he was currently prescribing.

97 pence for a month - and the bleeding HNS have the nerve to charge me 8
quid for them

*******s

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 April 2016 11:58:43 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 8 April 2016 00:44:29 UTC+1, tabbypurr wrote:

people do eat anything when sufficienly hungry.
Oh well, your run of 1 correct point couldn't last.

of course you can eat anything whether or not you'll get any nutritional or food value from it is another matter.

almost plonk

celebrity juice brass monkey UK diy 2 November 14th 12 08:28 PM
A bit OT - Frozen apple juice robgraham UK diy 4 November 20th 11 06:04 PM
OT little boy wants apple juice mm Home Repair 1 June 16th 07 11:31 AM
How much juice does it use? aspasia Home Repair 25 November 17th 06 11:01 PM
Mazatlan Juice Steve B Home Repair 15 October 28th 06 01:38 PM