Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT beetroot juice

"michael adams" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
wrote:

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 13:11:06 UTC+1, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 07/04/2016 12:53, tabbypurr wrote:

If you don't love garlic, slicing it thin & distributing it over a
piece of buttered bread helps hugely. Chew it properly before
swallowing for best allicin production.

Beetroot plus lettuce is a combination that surprisingly improves its
taste, and yes you can use lettuce in soups.

I think I might switch to celery instead. That I quite like, although
my sons can't bear it. Who knows how these lifelong aversions come
about

They're an evolutionary survival tactic. If a food source turns bad, at
least
some will survive and the village/tribe continues.

I think it's more likely to be a defence tactic the body uses when it
knows a certain food is bad for it. For someone else, that food will be
good and doesn't taste awful to them.

Basic physiology suggests that's highly unlikey among healthy individuals
in the same population though, surely ? Although there are cultural
traits
found in different populations lactose intolerance etc,

Taste preferences appear to start with breast milk, early family meals,
etc. and general social conditioning.

In this case Stuarts early life experiences with beetroot - when he first
encountered them, whether he was forced to eat them as a puniushment
as a child, memories he may have subsequently suppressed; apparently
all of these things can have an effect,

I never had anything like that with beetroot and always
removed the slice of beetroot from the commercial hamburger
whenever any hamburger I bought had one in it.

Since we never had beetroot at home, likely my
dislike of beetroot in the genes, not the jeans.