Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On 05/12/2018 01:57 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Ebay is much cheaper for everything and has more stuff available, and
you can tell where it's coming from, and they tell you what the shipping
cost is. If I search for stuff on Amazon, the postage isn't included in
the search results, there's less stuff available, I can't tell who's
sending it, it costs more, and their feedback system is unclear.

If it's Prime, it's 'free'. They will often point out that it's cheaper
from other sources but often the shipping costs make up the difference.
Also the third party sources don't have the world by the balls so the
delivery time is a week to ten days rather than two days.

I've gotten some obvious Chinese knock-offs from Amazon sellers; one
email and the problem is resolved. usually they tell me to keep the
crap, refund the price, and kick the seller off their marketplace.

Hey, I'm an American and I want instant two day gratification, not
waiting for a slow boat to China so I'll forget why I wanted it by the
time it arrives.

I have gotten some stuff from eBay, generally strange stuff like laptop
keyboards that normally don't show up for sale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/12/2018 01:58 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

According to Aussies, you can't swim in a creek/lake/river/whatever if
there's crocs/gators in it, or you die.

Australia doesn't have alligators:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...s-experts.html

What they do have in great abundance is salties:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal****er_crocodile

Never met one, don't want to. The few American crocs in southern Florida
are pussycats compared to salties or Nile crocodiles.

As far as alligators most of the problems with humans are like the
problems with rattlesnakes; they start with "Hold my beer and watch this."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2018 23:37:33 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 12 May 2018 19:10:12 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 12 May 2018 17:43:18 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

"On Slab" works good in Florida where anything resembling a basement
is liable to become an indoor swimming pool - up here in the higher
elevations and more temperate to cold regions, full basements are the
rule rather thanthe exception - almost always conditioned and used as
extra living /utility space.

Furnace in the attic? Not up here. It's in the "basement" - generally
along with laundry and a "rec room" - often an additional bathroom,-
and sometimes even a bedroom or 2.

I am aware of the basement thing but a lot of them still have water
problems. You are right, a basement here is going to be an indoor
pool. You can dig a well with a post hole digger. It is just nasty
water.
Most of those "bedrooms" are illegal since they don't have proper
egress. The "window well" in a basement does not provide enough clear
space to call that an egress so you need a door to the outside in the
bedroom(s)..

No, SOME of them are illegal - but many if not most have proper
egress. Does not need to be IN the bedroom, but needs to be easily
accessible from the bedroom. Bedrooms DO require minimum window area
based on floor area though.

The "window" in a bedroom is all about egress. (at least in the US 1&2
family building codes) It is called an "Emergency escape and rescue
opening".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2018 21:47:14 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/12/2018 01:56 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2018 20:29:06 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/12/2018 07:54 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

What annoys me is the way that under the floor is vented to the
outside! WTF? Vent it to the inside, then it stays warmer and dryer.

Warmer maybe but it tends to turn into a swamp.

No, heat reduces RH.

Unless it's well insulated, which most crawl spaces aren't, the warm,
moist air condenses on the cold walls.

There is supposed to be a vapor barrier between the living space and
the crawlspace. I am not sure what they do these days but it used to
be tar paper between the floor and sub floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/12/2018 01:59 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

And I though the USA had way more channels. I can get about 200
channels without paying a penny in the UK.

I've never been much of a TV watcher but I can't remember ever living
anyplace where there were more than five or six broadcast channels. We
used to have 6 but the sixth was some sort of Christian thing that never
figured out how to do digital.

Cable has a lot. When I'm traveling it sometimes takes me ten minutes to
spool through the hundred of so channels on the motel TV before deciding
they are all utter **** or show stupid ads every five minutes.

The best you can hope for is EWTN (Eternal Word Television Network).
They feature nuns praying the rosary; very soothing and no ads other
than the implied ad for the Big Kahuna.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/12/2018 03:48 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
And I though Florida was dry?

The highest point in Florida is 345' above sea level and it's up on the
Alabama border. Left to its own devices, Florida is a swamp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/12/2018 04:53 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Isn't a racist pig a White pig who hates Black pigs? o_O

I guess a Hampshire has real psychological problems...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Canadian code requires light AND egress - but in a situation where
it is not a rental unit, only 2 exits are required in an average sized
basement - one of which MUST be direct - either a door or "egress
window". If it is a separate living area the rules change and at
least in Waterloo egress is required from each bedroom. You can NOT
have a bedroom without a window, and the size of the window, if not
egress, is dictated by the floor area of the room - or to put it
another way, if you are adding a bedroom in a basement it's size is
limited by the size of the existing window unless you are willing to
enlarge it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2018 21:44:46 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/12/2018 08:39 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Not exactly. It's cheaper to produce TV shows in Vancouver which is up the coast from Californiastan. I imagine it's still close enough for American actors to travel without too much trouble to make it to acting jobs. ^_^

I'm having a senior moment but there was one cop show that was set in LA
but filmed in Vancouver. Other than hanging a banner that said 'Port of
Long Beach' on a warehouse they made absolutely no attempt to disguise
Vancouver right down to showing a map of Vancouver when they were
tracking a suspect.

I mean even Justified edited the orange groves out of Arlo's Kentucky
home and 'Sons of anarchy' did a lot of colorization to make a southern
California highway look like Ireland.

And much of "designated survivor" is filmed in Cambridge Ontario - in
the old Galt section - only about 20 miles from here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:44:07 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 05/12/2018 08:39 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Not exactly. It's cheaper to produce TV shows in Vancouver which is up the coast from Californiastan. I imagine it's still close enough for American actors to travel without too much trouble to make it to acting jobs. ^_^

I'm having a senior moment but there was one cop show that was set in LA
but filmed in Vancouver. Other than hanging a banner that said 'Port of
Long Beach' on a warehouse they made absolutely no attempt to disguise
Vancouver right down to showing a map of Vancouver when they were
tracking a suspect.

I mean even Justified edited the orange groves out of Arlo's Kentucky
home and 'Sons of anarchy' did a lot of colorization to make a southern
California highway look like Ireland.

Don't most Americans above a certain age realize that most TV is make believe even some of the news reports? snicker ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Imaginary Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 11:16:16 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 05/12/2018 03:48 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
And I though Florida was dry?

The highest point in Florida is 345' above sea level and it's up on the
Alabama border. Left to its own devices, Florida is a swamp.

Heck, I knew Alabama was holding Florida's head above water. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Mountain Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/12/2018 11:52 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 11:16:16 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 05/12/2018 03:48 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
And I though Florida was dry?

The highest point in Florida is 345' above sea level and it's up on the
Alabama border. Left to its own devices, Florida is a swamp.

Heck, I knew Alabama was holding Florida's head above water. ^_^

I went looking for that mountain peak before GPS's were around, never
could find it. There are a lot of little hills in that part of Alabama
and Florida. It's someplace around Florala. I do believe I've walked up
Cheaha. At least the Talledegas are real mountains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 1:42:41 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 05/12/2018 11:52 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 11:16:16 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 05/12/2018 03:48 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
And I though Florida was dry?

The highest point in Florida is 345' above sea level and it's up on the
Alabama border. Left to its own devices, Florida is a swamp.

Heck, I knew Alabama was holding Florida's head above water. ^_^

I went looking for that mountain peak before GPS's were around, never
could find it. There are a lot of little hills in that part of Alabama
and Florida. It's someplace around Florala. I do believe I've walked up
Cheaha. At least the Talledegas are real mountains.

Heck, I grew up in the Sand Mountain area where all my father's people come from. Real Hillbillies are they. All the women on that side of the family are schoolteachers and a lot of my uncles were lawyers. Some were even physicians. Others like my dad were engineers. On my mother's side of the family(Italian) were folks who's business we never discussed. Ain't gene mixing fun? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Mixed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ESPECIALLY Senile Yank Alert!

On Sat, 12 May 2018 15:58:10 -0700 (PDT), Auntie Senile Monster drooled and
driveled again:

The first thing to do is define racism. Most people have no clue what the
word actually means and tend to incorrectly label all sorts of things and
people as "racist". o_O

What a driveling moron! tsk

[8~{} Auntie Moronic Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 12 May 2018 22:16:55 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

The highest point in Florida is 345' above sea level and it's up on the
Alabama border. Left to its own devices, Florida is a swamp.

Your senile brain certainly is one, lowbrowman!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2018 21:47:14 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

Warmer maybe but it tends to turn into a swamp.

No, heat reduces RH.

Unless it's well insulated, which most crawl spaces aren't, the warm,
moist air condenses on the cold walls.

All you idiots on ahr can go on like that for weeks and months, right? Goes
to show what POWER the Scottish sow has over all you senile Yankietards!
****ing unbelievable! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2018 21:23:40 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

I'm pretty sure Lexi doesn't get dime one from TPB either...
Intellectually I'm glad places like TPB exist; practically it's not
important enough to me to bother.

Why does obviously NOBODY in real life want to listen to the bull**** you
keep spouting here, eh, lowbrowman? Try to "think" about with your senile
mind! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ESPECIALLY Senile Yank Alert! LOL

On Sat, 12 May 2018 19:39:58 -0700 (PDT), Auntie Senile Monster drooled and
driveled again:

I thought most actors in American shows were Canadians because Americans
are too thick to act. --

Not exactly. It's cheaper to produce TV shows in Vancouver which is up the
coast from Californiastan. I imagine it's still close enough for American
actors to travel without too much trouble to make it to acting jobs. ^_^

He just called you Americans "thick" (AGAIN) ...and you STILL keep sucking
his cock, Yankietard? LOL Just HOW lonely are you? LOL

[8~{} Auntie Sucking Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2018 21:39:56 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

I thought most actors in American shows were Canadians because Americans
are too thick to act.

Canadians act for Loonies; Americans want real money.

It's true, you are as much of an ENDLESSLY DRIVELING IDIOT as the Scottish
sow that you keep feeding, lowbrowman! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2018 19:31:20 -0700 (PDT), Auntie Senile Monster drooled and
driveled again:

unfortunate that in some areas of the world, children are considered
disposable. I don't like people who harm children. o_O

Well, I don't like senile Yankietards that got nothing better to do than
suck troll cock!

[8~{} Auntie Asshole Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2018 22:11:53 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

I've never been much of a TV watcher...

Oh, no! Not yet another lengthy bull**** story by the resident senile
cocksucker! tsk
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2018 21:53:41 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

Hey, I'm an American

You forgot the key word, lowbrowman: you are a SENILE "American"!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2018 22:01:54 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

FLUSH senile idiot's endless senile drivel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 May 2018 21:15:07 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

That would work a lot better if so many of the white people I've come
across weren't ignorant, bottom-feeding wastes of oxygen.

Well, you and the Scottish sow are certainly a case in point, lowbrowman!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2018 02:23:51 -0700 (PDT), Auntie Senile Monster wrote:

He just called you Americans "thick" (AGAIN) ...and you STILL keep sucking
his cock, Yankietard? LOL Just HOW lonely are you? LOL

[8~{} Uncle Sucking Monster

Senile Penis Peeler seems to have a very odd infatuation with oral sex.
It makes one wonder if Senile Penis Peeler is, in fact, a rabid
homosexual. It doesn't really matter to me except that Senile Penis
Peeler is flaunting it. O_o

ANSWER the question, you senile sucker of troll cock: Jut HOW lonely are you
that you need to suck off a FILTHY TROLL who keeps deriding and abusing
America and Americans every day?

[8~{} Auntie Cocksucking Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 5:02:19 AM UTC-5, Peeler wrote:
On Sun, 13 May 2018 02:23:51 -0700 (PDT), Auntie Senile Monster wrote:

He just called you Americans "thick" (AGAIN) ...and you STILL keep sucking
his cock, Yankietard? LOL Just HOW lonely are you? LOL

[8~{} Uncle Sucking Monster

Senile Penis Peeler seems to have a very odd infatuation with oral sex.
It makes one wonder if Senile Penis Peeler is, in fact, a rabid
homosexual. It doesn't really matter to me except that Senile Penis
Peeler is flaunting it. O_o

ANSWER the question, you senile sucker of troll cock: Jut HOW lonely are you
that you need to suck off a FILTHY TROLL who keeps deriding and abusing
America and Americans every day?

[8~{} Uncle Cocksure Monster

Senile Penis Peeler you really need some professional psychiatric help. Get to a therapist as soon as you can before you harm yourself or others. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Concerned Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 05/12/2018 01:56 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2018 20:29:06 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/12/2018 07:54 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

What annoys me is the way that under the floor is vented to the
outside! WTF? Vent it to the inside, then it stays warmer and dryer.

Warmer maybe but it tends to turn into a swamp.

No, heat reduces RH.

Unless it's well insulated, which most crawl spaces aren't, the warm,
moist air condenses on the cold walls.

There is supposed to be a vapor barrier between the living space and
the crawlspace. I am not sure what they do these days but it used to
be tar paper between the floor and sub floor.

My living room and dining room are over a crawl space (the rest of the house
is over a basement). There appears to be 80-year-old rosin paper between
the floor and the subfloor.

We had our crawlspace lined (with really heavy PVC tarp-like stuff) some time
ago. It works pretty well.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2018 01:04:17 +0100, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

What's wrong with going through the door you entered? My normal bedroom has a window, but it's only the top bit that opens, so I can't leave through it without violently smashing toughened double glazing with a heavy object I don't have in the bedroom. But then I'm not a pessimist and don't require two forms of exit.

It is all about what happens if the house is on fire and you wake up
in a room full of smoke. They don't want you to have to go towards the
fire. You certainly don't want to be trapped in the basement if the
fire is upstairs.

Well in my standard bedroom on the 1st (USA) or ground (UK) floor, I can still only get out of the door. The window only opens at the top. And anyone with a 2 storey house who sleeps upstairs has the same problem. Unless someone provided a ladder for you to climb down, you're ****ed.

--
Scots are tightwads who are saving up to become Jewish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2018 03:31:20 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 6:48:05 PM UTC-5, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2018 23:58:10 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 2:19:44 PM UTC-5, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2018 20:17:09 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/12/2018 07:51 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2018 04:44:01 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/11/2018 11:29 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Fri, 11 May 2018 03:34:05 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/10/2018 11:27 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Thu, 10 May 2018 05:01:24 +0100, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 9 May 2018 20:35:43 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/09/2018 10:43 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 05:05:21 +0100, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/08/2018 01:51 PM, wrote:
OTOH those people die here when it is 90f 90r/h and they brag
about
jogging when it is 105 on Phoenix. I can be out there in the
afternoon
mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow.

If humans were supposed to live in 90%+ humidity we would still
have
gills.

We're 90% water anyway aren't we?

And you've never been to Houston in the summertime either...

Or visited Victoria Falls in October - - - - - - - RH exceding 100%

That's ok, you can cool off in the waterfall.

BTW, there's another Victoria falls, slightly smaller, in Scotland.

Does it have crocodiles?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bride-who...095739256.html

Most likely not. I think the UK only has those in zoos.
Why the **** don't you just wipe those *******s out? You've got enough
guns....
The government could put a price on them and every man and his dog would
go out a killin!

You're confused. There are a few American crocodiles down at the ass end
of Florida. Considering the other **** at the ass end of Florida like
Cubans, Salvadorans,

Shoot them too. Why the **** do Americans have guns if they don't use
them?

and other low life the crocs are the least of the
problem. And look at all the trouble George Zimmerman got into shooting
a protected species...

We shouldn't protect species that wish to kill us on sight.

Racist pig...

I've yet to hear a sensible reason why racism is wrong.
--
The first thing to do is define racism. Most people have no clue what the word actually means and tend to incorrectly label all sorts of things and people as "racist". o_O

[8~{} Uncle Monsterist Monster

It's a very simple term isn't it? Someone who believes one race is superior to another.
--

If the races are fundamentally different somehow, how are blood transfusions and organ transplants between humans who look different possible? Every healthy human child of any race is a blank slate and will mature depending on how it's nurtured. If a child grows up starved for food, the resulting brainpower isn't going to be exceptional. It's unfortunate that in some areas of the world, children are considered disposable. I don't like people who harm children. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Angry Monster

A pigs heart can be transplanted into a human, would you say they're the same race as us? How come we eat them?
And you're wrong about the kids - genetics plays a huge role in determining intelligence.

--
Q. What's the difference between a brown-noser and a ****-head?
A. Depth perception.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2018 04:21:36 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:14:28 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 05/12/2018 05:47 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
It's a very simple term isn't it? Someone who believes one race is
superior to another.

That would work a lot better if so many of the white people I've come
across weren't ignorant, bottom-feeding wastes of oxygen. Some of them
are reverse Oreos -- white on the outside and black in the middle.

Julius Evola made it past simplistic biological racism. There is a
spiritual component too.

The Dumbassification of America as promoted by Commiecrats isn't helping. If only we could keep Commiecrats out of the teaching profession. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Smart Monster

Everybody should homeschool. I would never send my kids to be indoctrinated by strangers.

--
Watching his date from the corner of his eye while he poured her a drink, the young bachelor said, "Say when."
She replied, "Right after that drink."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2018 04:15:07 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/12/2018 05:47 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
It's a very simple term isn't it? Someone who believes one race is
superior to another.

That would work a lot better if so many of the white people I've come
across weren't ignorant, bottom-feeding wastes of oxygen. Some of them
are reverse Oreos -- white on the outside and black in the middle.

Julius Evola made it past simplistic biological racism. There is a
spiritual component too.

But the percentage of arseholes is vastly different in other races.

I think the world would do well with just caucasians, Orientals, and Latinos. Orientals are intelligent and cute. Latinos are exceedingly sexy. Caucasians are a good mix of the two.

--
Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two other sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2018 04:23:40 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/12/2018 01:55 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2018 20:27:08 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/12/2018 12:56 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I have a 7" Fire tablet and I bought the protective housing for it
after I dropped it a few times. Now I drop it all the time but the
case protects it. I've been watching the Andromeda TV series on the
little 7" tablet when I visit the toilet to drop a load of Readymix.
I used to take a magazine or newspaper(remember them) with me to the
bathroom when I needed to rid myself of toxic solid waste. Ain't
technology amazing? ^_^

I was watching Andromeda. Netflix had the first season but not the rest.
I got up to Season 2, Episode 8 on Amazon and it wouldn't play. A popup
said I needed a ComicCon subscription, $4.99 a month after a 7 day free
trial. I think Season 3 is still available.

A guy was bitching about another scifi show he had been watching that
suddenly required a subscription. Apparently ComicCon bought the rights
to some of the old shows and are trying to capitalize.

https://variety.com/2017/digital/new...hq-1202601338/

What ****es me is I'm guessing the buck stops at Lionsgate; I doubt Lexi
Doig and the others are getting big royalty checks.

Google "piratebay"

I'm pretty sure Lexi doesn't get dime one from TPB either...

Who or what is Lexi?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexi

Intellectually I'm glad places like TPB exist; practically it's not
important enough to me to bother.

Snob!

--
Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2018 04:39:56 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/12/2018 05:48 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

I thought most actors in American shows were Canadians because Americans
are too thick to act.

Canadians act for Loonies; Americans want real money.

Which they don't get if they don't get the part.

--
"The most dangerous thing in the world is to try to leap a chasm in two jumps" -- David Lloyd George, former UK Prime Minister

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2018 04:53:41 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/12/2018 01:57 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Ebay is much cheaper for everything and has more stuff available, and
you can tell where it's coming from, and they tell you what the shipping
cost is. If I search for stuff on Amazon, the postage isn't included in
the search results, there's less stuff available, I can't tell who's
sending it, it costs more, and their feedback system is unclear.

If it's Prime, it's 'free'.

I have no desire to pay a large amount of money just to get freepost.

They will often point out that it's cheaper
from other sources but often the shipping costs make up the difference..

If I search on Ebay for a widget, I can sort by price. Where the price includes the postage. So I don't get someone selling something for £50 + £10 postage listed before someone selling at £55.

Also the third party sources don't have the world by the balls so the
delivery time is a week to ten days rather than two days.

I've gotten some obvious Chinese knock-offs from Amazon sellers; one
email and the problem is resolved. usually they tell me to keep the
crap, refund the price, and kick the seller off their marketplace.

Hey, I'm an American and I want instant two day gratification, not
waiting for a slow boat to China so I'll forget why I wanted it by the
time it arrives.

I have gotten some stuff from eBay, generally strange stuff like laptop
keyboards that normally don't show up for sale.

--
"The most dangerous thing in the world is to try to leap a chasm in two jumps" -- David Lloyd George, former UK Prime Minister
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Same here. Especially Li Ion batteries rated at 2500mAh that I tested to be 500mAh. If I try to use them in my camera, it tells me they're empty when they're full, as they have a ****ty output current.

But I can easily tell which sellers are con merchants. The Ebay feedback system is good for this. I can instantly see how fast they tend to ship, whether the quality is good, etc, etc.

Hey, I'm an American and I want instant two day gratification, not
waiting for a slow boat to China so I'll forget why I wanted it by the
time it arrives.

If I need some more of something some time in the future, like some more superglue, I'll get it from China if it's cheaper.

If I need a replacement part to repair something I need to use soon, I'll get it from the UK.

I have gotten some stuff from eBay, generally strange stuff like laptop
keyboards that normally don't show up for sale.

I used to buy large quantities of those for the spare keys, as I worked at a school and the kids would keep pulling the keys off. Before I worked there they used to replace the whole keyboard, replaced by Dell at great expense. But I just started buying second hand or broken keyboards for **** all on Ebay, and using the keys to replace the nicked ones. They seemed to stop bothering once they realised it wasn't causing anyone that much cost or hassle.

Once a kid thought it would be funny to change the code on the numeric padlock to lock a trolley full of laptops. I cut the padlock off with a rather large bolt cutter in front of the class and nobody bothered doing that again.

--
Peter is listening to "DJ Felli Fel - Feel it"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2018 05:01:54 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/12/2018 01:58 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

According to Aussies, you can't swim in a creek/lake/river/whatever if
there's crocs/gators in it, or you die.

Australia doesn't have alligators:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...s-experts.html

What they do have in great abundance is salties:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal****er_crocodile

Never met one, don't want to. The few American crocs in southern Florida
are pussycats compared to salties or Nile crocodiles.

As far as alligators most of the problems with humans are like the
problems with rattlesnakes; they start with "Hold my beer and watch this."

I can't tell which is which, so I'd shoot either on sight.

--
You can get a lot of STDs from loo seats,
but only if you sit down before the last guy's got up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2018 05:11:53 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/12/2018 01:59 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

And I though the USA had way more channels. I can get about 200
channels without paying a penny in the UK.

I've never been much of a TV watcher but I can't remember ever living
anyplace where there were more than five or six broadcast channels. We
used to have 6 but the sixth was some sort of Christian thing that never
figured out how to do digital.

You can get about 100 here through an aerial with "digital freeview". Sure, you're supposed to pay the thieving license fee which only funds one TV company, the BBC, but apart from that they're free, no subscriptions, no encryption.

Don't they realise showing 6 minutes of ads doesn't sell twice as much as 3 minutes of ads? People get ****ed off and leave the room or fast forward it. They should just have one or two ads per break, then people might just sit and watch them.

The best you can hope for is EWTN (Eternal Word Television Network).
They feature nuns praying the rosary; very soothing and no ads other
than the implied ad for the Big Kahuna.

I'd only watch that if the nuns were naked.

--
A soldier who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2018 05:26:44 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/12/2018 04:53 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Isn't a racist pig a White pig who hates Black pigs? o_O

I guess a Hampshire has real psychological problems...

I know a woman who's one quarter negro and three quarters caucasian. She calls herself a "quartercast" and only hangs around with whites. I just thought she had a good tan.

--
If trains stop at train stations, what happens at workstations?

Should I consider a swamp cooler? [email protected] Home Repair 17 June 18th 05 11:06 AM
swamp cooler question JK Home Repair 14 June 7th 05 09:47 PM
replacement bottom swamp cooler pans Anthony Ewell Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 09:11 PM
swamp cooler anode Anthony Ewell Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 07:06 AM
Swamp cooler question SteveB Metalworking 31 May 24th 05 03:28 AM