Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 4:23:10 PM UTC-5, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 22:06:50 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 3:18:09 PM UTC-5, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 20:55:22 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 2:30:42 PM UTC-5, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 17:27:38 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 9:18:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 9:19:05 AM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 9 May 2018 03:51:07 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 4:36:59 PM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2018 20:58:52 +0100, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 10:01:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/7/2018 7:26 PM,
wrote:

Most gas furnaces in the US are forced air distribution just like the
AC unit and use the same duct system. Using water and radiators went
away shortly after WWII. I never lived in a house with a radiator.

Here in New England water is still used a lot. I have baseboard and it
does an excellent job providing even heat and no noise. Central AC is
not as popular here as in warmer climates.

Another reason is fuel. Oil is still the most used and works best with
water. Electric, either resistance or heat pump is very expensive here
with the highest rates in the country.
Oil Forced Air was the "standard" for North American central heat
for decades. A LOT less problems than hydronics - and if the power
goes out and it gets cold Hydronics can get REAL EXPENSIVE, and REAL
FAST!!!!!

Why would a water based system cost more in a power outage?

The pipes freeze and burst.

Cindy Hamilton
Why doesn't EVERYBODY just plong the scottish fool ????

Well, as a pathetic Google Grouper, I can't. I find him somewhat
amusing, so I occasionally respond to his posts.

Cindy Hamilton

I like you Cindy. blush ^_^

Are you two fanbois of me or something?

Um, Cindy is a gal. I'm no one's fanboi except for myself. I think I'm awesome! ^_^

I wasn't aware a fanboi was necessarily male. What's the non-sexed word for a fan?

There are fangurls around if you need one. ^_^

What would they be willing to do to/for me?
--

Virtual orgies are a lot of fun. All you have to do is insert your winky into an opening in your computer. I believe there is also a USB attachment for the purpose you can buy online. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Virtual Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2018 5:32 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

What I experienced as a kid is the main reason I don't like people who
hurt children. I've been known to body slam someone for hurting a
small child. I couldn't physically deter anyone today which is why I
have a pistol. O_o

Hurt?* I'd have loved as a child to have an older woman molest me.
What's the big deal?* It's every kid's dream!

Some of these kids have a good thing going until the parents catch them
and raise a fuss. Horny teenagers don't complain. I wouldn't complain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 4:32:58 PM UTC-5, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 22:26:43 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 4:08:01 PM UTC-5, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 22:02:59 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 3:16:49 PM UTC-5, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 20:48:34 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 2:27:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 17:45:09 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2018 05:34:05 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 09/05/2018 04:13, rbowman wrote:
On 05/08/2018 03:43 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
It's not so much the water getting out as air (well hydrogen) being
created from rust inside the radiators and blocking the flow of water.
Why can't someone invent a water pump that can cope with an air bubble?

Switch to steam heat; the radiators have air vents.

All water central heating radiators have air vents. If they didn't,
they'd have lots of air inside them.

The trouble is they aren't automatic. And it assumes that the vents are always where the air collects. I often get air stuck in the middle of some piping, or in the pump.

It has been 50 years since I was around a radiator but the ones we had
in my high school had some kind of vent on the side that seemed to be
letting air/steam out a lot.

There were steam radiators at the old Catholic Parochial gulag I attended in the 1950's and as I recall the vent on the side of the radiators was always hissing and spitting out a bit of steam. Then the diocese built a modern new school that had through the wall units under the windows. I don't recall if they were AC units since it was a long time ago but come to think of it, it was cooler during the summer months inside the new school. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tortured Monster

Replying to your sig.... were you tortured by priests when younger?

No, I was tortured by nuns. My first-grade teacher was an American nun named Sister Godzilla then in the second grade, the diocese imported Irish nuns who believe in capital punishment for small children. I had it rough as a kid. The priests were never mean to me. ^_^

Sounds fun to me, why are you objecting?

What I experienced as a kid is the main reason I don't like people who hurt children. I've been known to body slam someone for hurting a small child. I couldn't physically deter anyone today which is why I have a pistol. O_o

Hurt? I'd have loved as a child to have an older woman molest me. What's the big deal? It's every kid's dream!
--

I wasn't sexually abused. They just hit me. I don't like people who hurt kids. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Hit Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ESPECIALLY Senile Yank Alert! LOL

On Wed, 9 May 2018 14:02:59 -0700 (PDT), Auntie Senile Monster drooled and
driveled again:

The priests were never mean to me. ^_^

We can imagine that. You were a **** already back then, senile auntie!

[8~{} Auntie Retarded Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 May 2018 14:26:43 -0700 (PDT), Auntie Senile Monster drooled and
driveled again:

What I experienced as a kid is the main reason I don't like people who
hurt children. I've been known to body slam someone for hurting a small
child. I couldn't physically deter anyone today which is why I have a
pistol. O_o

You're still good at sucking troll cock though, senile auntie!

[8~{} Auntie Barmy Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile Yanks Alert!

On Wed, 9 May 2018 13:47:06 -0700 (PDT), , the
notorious troll-feeding Yankietard, blabbered again:

So, not better than forced air, then.

Cindy Hamilton

What an idiot you turned out to be finally, Yankie!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 May 2018 14:06:50 -0700 (PDT), Auntie Senile Monster drooled and
driveled again:

There are fangurls around if you need one. ^_^

He needs only toothless senile Yanks like you. They suck the best! G

[8~{} Auntie Cocksucking Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 May 2018 14:34:13 -0700 (PDT), Auntie Senile Monster drooled and
driveled again:

Virtual orgies are a lot of fun.

Yeah, we can see the fun he has, every time you suck him off with your big
toothless gob, senile auntie!

[8~{} Auntie Filthy Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile Yank Alert!

On Wed, 9 May 2018 17:38:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski, the notorious,
troll-feeding Yankietard, blathered again:

Hurt?* I'd have loved as a child to have an older woman molest me.
What's the big deal?* It's every kid's dream!

Some of these kids have a good thing going

Yeah, now he got you senile Yankietards to suck him off every day! Or why do
you think he hangs out mainly on ahr, poor idiot? We done, Yankie ****head!
BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 May 2018 14:43:47 -0700 (PDT), Auntie Senile Monster drooled and
driveled again:

I wasn't sexually abused. They just hit me. I don't like people who hurt kids. O_o

They obviously didn't hit you hard enough, senile cocksucker!

[8~{} Auntie **** Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You dirty old man!

--
A highway patrolman pulled alongside a speeding car on the freeway. Glancing at the car, he was astounded to see that the blonde behind the wheel was knitting!
Realizing that she was oblivious to his flashing lights and siren, the trooper cranked down his window, turned on his bullhorn and yelled, "PULL OVER!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 May 2018 22:38:37 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/9/2018 5:32 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

What I experienced as a kid is the main reason I don't like people who
hurt children. I've been known to body slam someone for hurting a
small child. I couldn't physically deter anyone today which is why I
have a pistol. O_o

Hurt? I'd have loved as a child to have an older woman molest me.
What's the big deal? It's every kid's dream!

Some of these kids have a good thing going until the parents catch them
and raise a fuss. Horny teenagers don't complain. I wouldn't complain.

I was horrified to see a 15 year old boy's father grass off his older girlfriend (that's not rape, that's an actual relationship) and have her jailed. If my father did that to me I'd never speak to him again.

--
The Post Office just recalled their latest stamps. They had pictures
of lawyers on them, and people couldn't figure out which side to spit

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Some people like to get hit.

--
Keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your eye on the ball, and your ear to the ground. Then see how much work you get done in that position.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The CNA's help me bathe on a regular basis so I'm actually quite clean. ^_^

{8~{} Uncle Clean Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 May 2018 19:04:36 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2018 04:50:06 +0100, rbowman wrote:

I had a flat in an old brownstone that had three fireplaces, one fake,
one real, and one with a gas log. The real one was handy for breaking up
the furniture and tossing it in on cold nights. Twelve foot ceilings,
marginal heating, and lots of glass, it was a real Victorian wonder.

Those were built before we invented this crazy idea that we must be cosy all the time. Humans are warm blooded.

I am pretty much that way. I am OK from about 65 to 95 in shorts and a
T shirt. If it gets much colder, I put on a hat.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Florida%20b...20Michigan.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2018 04:50:06 +0100, rbowman wrote:

I had a flat in an old brownstone that had three fireplaces, one fake,
one real, and one with a gas log. The real one was handy for breaking up
the furniture and tossing it in on cold nights. Twelve foot ceilings,
marginal heating, and lots of glass, it was a real Victorian wonder.

Those were built before we invented this crazy idea that we must be cosy all the time. Humans are warm blooded.

I am pretty much that way. I am OK from about 65 to 95 in shorts and a
T shirt. If it gets much colder, I put on a hat.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Florida%20b...20Michigan.jpg

Ah, a sensible person for once. Although that photo seems to contradict itself - a cosy hat and gloves, but shorts and tshirt with no socks?

--
Microsoft: This company has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2018 04:50:06 +0100, rbowman wrote:

I had a flat in an old brownstone that had three fireplaces, one fake,
one real, and one with a gas log. The real one was handy for breaking up
the furniture and tossing it in on cold nights. Twelve foot ceilings,
marginal heating, and lots of glass, it was a real Victorian wonder.

Those were built before we invented this crazy idea that we must be cosy all the time. Humans are warm blooded.

I am pretty much that way. I am OK from about 65 to 95 in shorts and a
T shirt. If it gets much colder, I put on a hat.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Florida%20b...20Michigan.jpg

Ah, a sensible person for once. Although that photo seems to contradict itself - a cosy hat and gloves, but shorts and tshirt with no socks?

\
If I was actually skiing I would have socks and boots but that was
plenty to just watch the kids ski.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2018 08:42 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/9/2018 12:03 AM, rbowman wrote:

Poland has a checkered history. It sucks being a big, flat place
between the Germans and the Russians. Armies love flat places. Then
after WWI being between Germany and East Prussia wasn't good either
particularly when the Poles believed the British guarantee was worth a
bucket of warm spit and refused the Germans passage through the Corridor.

They just never learn. When a major power says 'we've got your six'
you'd damn well better have Plan B oiled up and ready to go.

Just started reading "The Eagle Unbowed"

Just look at a map of Europe at different points in the last century and
it explains a lot.

It says a lot about 'diversity'. Austria-Hungary was very diverse with
most of the ethnic groups hating each other. Poland was off the map
until after WWI. Czechoslovakia was another wonderful creation. Germany
gets bad reviews for invading Sudetenland which was heavily ethnic
German but Hungary grabbing the southern part which was mostly Magyar
and Poland annexing Zaolzie with its ethnic Poles gets downplayed.

Wilson's naive babbling about self-determination didn't stand a chance
when Britain was redrawing the map of Europe and the Middle East with
little regard of who lived there.

Had there never been a Hitler I believe there still would have been war.
For that matter, it's still being sorted out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 10:01:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 5/7/2018 7:26 PM,
wrote:

[...]

you are amusing enough that you're not in the Bozo Bin with Pigeon Ass,
Traitor_4, Bodkin, Storming Moron, Peeler, and the rest of the broken
records.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 10:01:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 5/7/2018 7:26 PM,
wrote:

[...]

Castrate you probably. I wouldn't mess with grrl power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2018 10:41 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 01:47:06 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 23:06:25 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 23:04:06 +0100, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 16:48:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/8/2018 4:35 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Nearest gas is 1/4 mile away. We use oil.
Been there, done that. STINKTY stuff!!!
At least the new burners burn a bit cleaner and there is less
sulphur
in it than their used to be...

The exhaust is meant to be outside the house?

New ones have no odor and are efficient. I replace my boiler about 7
years ago. I tracked oil use and degree days and I'm saving about 38%
with the new one and the exhaust is minimal to the existing flue.
It was on this newsgroup that I leaned about it fro Chris, the
Stormin
Mormon.
http://energykinetics.com/system2000...icient-boiler/
Older oil furnaces made a bit of an oil smell inside the house too,
as the firebox was not 100% sealed. They drew fresh air from inside
the house and exhausted it up the chimey - which alsoi had a damper

I find it amusing the way yanks say "furnace" instead of boiler. A
furnace is a huge commercial device, like the things for burning refuse.

They call a forced air unit a furnace, A boiler would be used with a
water based system.

Then you're using the word furnace incorrectly. Furnace implies a large
scale operation.

"The Human Dress, is forged Iron
The Human Form, a fiery Forge.
The Human Face, a Furnace seal'd
The Human Heart, its hungry Gorge."

'A Divine Image' William Blake

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2018 10:42 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 04:16:29 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 01:39 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
I don't see how the queen is relevant, but like most of the UK
population I wish the parasite would go away. She's not in power, the
prime minister is. She does nothing and gets paid millions for it.

Your dysfunctional royals are good for the tourist trade. How many
pounds will Harry's trip to the slave quarters net?

I don't believe that. I'm sure the same number of tourists would come
here without the royals being here. You don't come to the UK just to
see royals, you come for another reason and see them while you're here.

Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, and all that fusty ****e doesn't
draw tourists? I suppose you wouldn't necessarily need living royals.
For that matter people apparently shell out money to get in the
proximity of a dead one.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-pound-revamp/

Why else would someone submit themselves to the agony of Heathrow?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 May 2018 21:11:15 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2018 20:22:08 +0100, wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2018 17:39:52 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2018 01:42:57 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 21:37:28 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 21:07:08 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:17:57 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

I'm surprised glass can support the weight of those things.

Window shakers sit on the sill and that carries most of the weight,
The window frame keeps it from falling out. The new ones are really
pretty light and they don't actually "shake" much. Some of those old
ones took two people to pick up and they rattled the pictures on the
wall when the compressor shut down.

I'm surprised they could rattle pictures without shattering the glass they were touching.

The glass was typically in a wooden frame and pretty well insulated
from the vibration.

And the pictures on a seperate wall weren't?

You must have some pretty fragile glass there if vibrating the frame
shatters it.

My point is to move a picture you must be shaking the entire wall. That's a lot of shaking.

This was just a momentary thing as the compressor cycled down, not a
constant vibration. The new ones don't really do that. These were old
piston compressors that were huge compared to the ones today. A 1 ton
window shaker weighed over 150 pounds and ran on 240v. Now you can get
an inverter model that weighs about 80 pounds and runs on 120 @ 8.25a
(990w).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2018 02:12 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 20:25:04 +0100, wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2018 17:42:17 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2018 04:16:29 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 01:39 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
I don't see how the queen is relevant, but like most of the UK
population I wish the parasite would go away. She's not in power, the
prime minister is. She does nothing and gets paid millions for it.

Your dysfunctional royals are good for the tourist trade. How many
pounds will Harry's trip to the slave quarters net?

I don't believe that. I'm sure the same number of tourists would
come here without the royals being here. You don't come to the UK
just to see royals, you come for another reason and see them while
you're here.

If I was there at all I would not be in England anyway. We are
thinking about visiting Scotland and Ireland tho and avoiding any big
cities as much as possible.
I would not walk over to the window of the airport lounge to look at a
"royal".

You're what I'd call a sensible tourist. But lots of people seem to go
abroad to see cities. WTF is so interesting about a city? It's just
concrete buildings! Go see nature FFS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUpmeak0pV4

'I've seen your towns, they're all the same.
The only difference is in the name."

'Many A Mile' Patrick Sky

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2018 10:44 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 04:13:38 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 03:43 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
It's not so much the water getting out as air (well hydrogen) being
created from rust inside the radiators and blocking the flow of water.
Why can't someone invent a water pump that can cope with an air bubble?

Switch to steam heat; the radiators have air vents.

What do you mean they have air vents?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0VQOZqiw7U

One picture... It's steam, not hot water. The steam flows to the
radiator and the condensate returns to the boiler. When the boiler shuts
down the system fills with air. The air has to be bled to allow the
steam to reach the radiator, hence the air vent. In theory when the air
is all vented the valve shuts off; in practice the damn things can
whistle like a tea kettle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The nuns were all 93 years old and it was hard to work up a BDSM fantasy...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

^_^

Sounds fun to me, why are you objecting?

What I experienced as a kid is the main reason I don't like people who
hurt children. I've been known to body slam someone for hurting a
small child. I couldn't physically deter anyone today which is why I
have a pistol. O_o

Hurt? I'd have loved as a child to have an older woman molest me.
What's the big deal? It's every kid's dream!

Obviously you've never been to a Catholic school. I presume there must
be young nuns but I think they keep them back at the convent scrubbing
floors until they reach 65 and are allowed to teach.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've never seen a steam radiator. The water ones in the UK require
manual venting. And most of the air in my system gets jammed in the
pump, stopping the whole system from producing any heat. Then I have to
clamber up into the attic and release the air from a struggling pump,
which is probably damaging itself.

You don't have steam heat in Scotland or you've never run into it
personally?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2018 10:49 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 04:12:36 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 03:23 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
At least forced air HAS filters - which DO remove a lot of dust fron
the air, and hot water heat is every bit as "dry" as forced air. The
water stays IN the radiators. (or at least is is supposed to!!!)

But the radiator is a convenient place to set a pan of water...

To do what?

Redneck humidifier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/09/2018 12:05 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2018 06:18:40 +0100, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 21:50:06 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 03:44 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2018 22:24:56 +0100, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:47:32 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 14:20:30 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

I detest fireplaces. When not in use, you can hear the neighbour's
dog through the chimney. And presumably you're losing a lot of heat
through it too.

That is why we have a fake one. It is a Dimco and the fire looks
pretty real (not just a roller wrapped in crumpled foil with a light
behind it). Most of the time it is just running in fake mode using a
few watts of power but there is a 1.44KW heater in there that is
plenty to warm the living room.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Fireplace%202.jpg

Direct vent gas fireplaces also do not let out heat or make you
listen to the neighbour's dog .

Yes those are fine, I was referring to the old fashioned coal/wood
fireplaces that belong two centuries ago.

I had a flat in an old brownstone that had three fireplaces, one fake,
one real, and one with a gas log. The real one was handy for breaking up
the furniture and tossing it in on cold nights. Twelve foot ceilings,
marginal heating, and lots of glass, it was a real Victorian wonder.

We call those "iceboxes"

The 12 foot ceilings are nice. I detest the cramped modern houses with
only 8 foot ceilings.

It had tin ceilings. The landlord sprung for the materials if I would
paint the place. Painting a tin ceiling off a high stepladder is a paint
in the ass but it was nowhere near as bad as the French doors. I'm not
the person you send to pick out colors so I would up with coral and aqua
or some damn thing on the walls. I'd just finished when a friend stopped
by and said "Pink and blue! Is this for a nursery?'
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 May 2018 09:04:27 +0100, gregz wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 17:34:32 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/07/2018 07:44 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
It wouldn't matter to me which was more efficient. A swamp cooler
is a
pretend AC unit. It evaporates water, therefore humidifying the room.
Also a real AC unit can run in reverse and serve as a heat pump for
winter.

In places where a swamp cooler works, a little more humidity isn't a
bad
thing.

Why does anyone want humidity? If it's hot, humid air makes it feel
hotter, as your sweat can't evaporate so easily. In cold weather, the
damp cools you down more. So it's never wanted.

30-35% is OK vs 15%. you can also smell better, hence the name swamp.
I had
swamp cooler both in Army and home, 7 years.

Smell better? You mean less BO? Or an increased ability to detect
things with your nose?

Detect things with your nose. It's been raining so the humidity is up a
bit. When I was out in the woods yesterday it was pleasant to smell the
pines and firs. There's something like lilacs lining the drive at work
and they're in bloom. They smelled nice today.

Even in the desert when it rains you can really smell the creosote bush.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Particularly when not properly designed.

Should I consider a swamp cooler? [email protected] Home Repair 17 June 18th 05 11:06 AM
swamp cooler question JK Home Repair 14 June 7th 05 09:47 PM
replacement bottom swamp cooler pans Anthony Ewell Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 09:11 PM
swamp cooler anode Anthony Ewell Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 07:06 AM
Swamp cooler question SteveB Metalworking 31 May 24th 05 03:28 AM