Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On Tue, 08 May 2018 02:02:39 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/07/2018 01:42 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 20:28:14 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/07/2018 12:59 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

What does it feel like to be in a house that's "too dry"?

The furniture tends to fall apart, to say nothing of your skin. It's
rough on many musical instruments too. I went to a uilleann pipes
concert in March and the guy was crouched over a vaporizer trying to
keep them functional.

The interesting part is you don't sweat like most people think about
sweating. Your pores are putting out moisture but it evaporates
immediately.

But that's the point. As soon as your sweat evaporates, it's performed
it's purpose, you cool down. It can't evaporate too fast, that would
make you colder and you just sweat less.

When it's 103 F getting too cold is not a consideration.

Precisely. I'd want 0% humidity so my sweat could evaporate as quickly as possible.

--
On a Continental Flight with a very "senior" flight attendant crew, the pilot said,
"Ladies and gentlemen, we've reached cruising altitude and will be turning down the cabin lights.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 02:07:51 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/7/2018 2:02 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards? You just reverse
the
pump. Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has
been able
to do this. The controller usually has settings for heating,
cooling,
or automatic. On automatic you can simply set a range (say 18 -
22C)
and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under, it heats.

For most of us, no need. We only use cooling here for two
months. We
have very efficient central heat and the AC goes into a window in
the
summer for cooling only. It can also get very cold here.

In more mild areas, central AC with heat pump is common and works
well.

If you only cool for 2 months, I assume you heat for more than that.
Why wouldn't you want a heat pump for that? Why wouldn't you want
them both to be the same unit?

You know so damn much, why are you asking us? Go figure it out
yourself.
I for one, won't educate you. All you do is turn your troll questions
into
a 300 post thread of BS.

I've pointed out a superior system and asked why you're using the old
one. I'm waiting for an answer.

Since you are incapable of thinking yourself, it comes down to one
thing: $

I looked into buying one in the UK. The cheapest one runs both ways.

Surem but it would be 40% cheaper if it only cooled. You guys get hosed.

No, in the UK we want heating more often than AC, so it makes sense it can do heating too.

--
Phone answering machine message: 'If you want to buy marijuana, press the hash key.'
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 02:11:33 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/7/2018 2:03 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Heat pumps do not always heat enough. As the outside temp drops, they
become less and less efficient. Most heat pumps use electric strip
heaters when outside temps get too low.

Then you need more heat pumps. I've been told they tend to be 400%
efficient even in winter. Maybe not if you live somewhere like Alaska
where it's way below zero. Do you guys say "way below thirty two"?

Why, when we have more efficient central heating systems using lower
cost fuel? They are good in some areas, but not all. My new house will
have a heat pump but it is a much more mild climate.

I can use electricity or gas. Gas is way cheaper, but you can't run a heat pump with it. Heat pumps cost about the same to run as gas.

--
Experience is what you got by not having it when you need it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 03:03:51 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 12:25:02 PM UTC-5, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 16:37:05 +0100, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 9:08:44 AM UTC-5, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 15:05:56 +0100, wrote:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 9:44:59 AM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 14:36:24 +0100, KenK wrote:

Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and a small
window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it significantly
more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler. There seem to be a
lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water distribution and other problems with
a cooler despite decades of using one.

Thoughts?

It wouldn't matter to me which was more efficient. A swamp cooler is a pretend AC unit. It evaporates water, therefore humidifying the room. Also a real AC unit can run in reverse and serve as a heat pump for winter.

You must have different "real AC units". Mine won't run in
reverse. It's pretty much exactly like this:
https://www.goodmanmfg.com/resources/heating-cooling-101/how-central-ac-systems-work
Except it and the supply air ducts are located in the basement of my single-story house.

Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards? You just reverse the pump. Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has been able to do this. The controller usually has settings for heating, cooling, or automatic. On automatic you can simply set a range (say 18 - 22C) and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under, it heats.
--
You don't run it backwards. We have what are called,"Heat Pumps". The compressor always spins in the same direction but there is something called a "Reversing Valve" which reverses to flow of refrigerant through the system thus changing the direction of the heat transfer. I like a heat pump combined with a gas furnace because the electric strip heaters for auxiliary heat can be expensive to run. If it gets cold enough that you need auxiliary heat, I'd want a gas furnace. In the real world, I would actually prefer a high-efficiency air conditioner combined with a gas furnace and avoid the complexity and expense of a heat pump. One of the things I did for a living was installation and service of HVAC systems so I know a little bit about them. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster

Why bother with the gas at all? Just have enough heat pumps to pump heat in winter and summer.
--

My choice for a heat pump would be a ground source heat pump where the outdoor coil is buried underground or it's down a well. It's an interesting technology that works very well. ^_^

http://www.climatemaster.com/residen...thermal-works/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o7vVjth_TU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQhXbQOGcdk

[8~{} Uncle Underground Monster

Agreed, if you can be bothered digging the hole. I know a farmer who fitted a huge version of that for his barns.

--
A redhead tells her blonde stepsister, "I slept with a Brazilian...." The blonde replies, "Oh my God! You slut! How many is a brazilian?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2018 9:22 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Why, when we have more efficient central heating systems using lower
cost fuel?* They are good in some areas, but not all.* My new house will
have a heat pump but it is a much more mild climate.

I can use electricity or gas.* Gas is way cheaper, but you can't run a
heat pump with it.* Heat pumps cost about the same to run as gas.

Nearest gas is 1/4 mile away. We use oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:05:00 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/8/2018 9:22 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Why, when we have more efficient central heating systems using lower
cost fuel? They are good in some areas, but not all. My new house will
have a heat pump but it is a much more mild climate.

I can use electricity or gas. Gas is way cheaper, but you can't run a
heat pump with it. Heat pumps cost about the same to run as gas.

Nearest gas is 1/4 mile away. We use oil.

Similar cost to gas.

--
I used to eat nothing but natural foods.
Then I found one of the leading reasons for death was natural causes, so . . .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 7:33:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 7 May 2018 16:37:56 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 5/7/2018 12:15 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 14:36:24 +0100, KenK
wrote:

[snip]

Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards?Â* You just reverse
the pump.Â* Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has
been able to do this.Â* The controller usually has settings for
heating, cooling, or automatic.Â* On automatic you can simply set a
range (say 18 - 22C) and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under,
it heats.

What you're describing is what is referred to a split unit system or
inverter.Â* After screwing around with a through the wall A/C unit which
was noisier than all get out in the size needed to cool the addition, I
finally got smart and picked up a split system (air handler inside,
compressor/inverter outside).Â* What a difference. Very quiet (hard to
tell it's running, actually), and much cheaper than our old A/C unit.
And, as you say, when heat is needed, the system reverses itself and
heats the interior drawing heat from outside even when it's in the 20F
degree range outside.

I wasn't aware they still made the one way systems.Â* I know of several
commercial and domestic places around here in the UK who have had AC
units fitted (and they only wanted to cool the room down), and they're
all reversible.

Personally, I have never seen a window type inverter system such as you
describe, only the split systems. Doesn't mean they aren't out there on
this side of the pond, just that I've not seen them and I was looking
for any suitable alternatives to the window/thru wall units two years
ago when I went to the current split.

They do make window shaker heat pumps but I am not sure how big the
market actually is for them. I suspect it may just be using mini split
hardware in one box.

You see them in motels, at least that's where I've mostly seen them.
Not exactly a window unit, but through the wall, self-contained.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 9:14:13 AM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2018 00:26:06 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 21:23:04 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 21:13:18 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 19:59:34 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 19:07:11 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 18:28:24 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 17:34:32 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/07/2018 07:44 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
It wouldn't matter to me which was more efficient. A swamp cooler is a
pretend AC unit. It evaporates water, therefore humidifying the room.
Also a real AC unit can run in reverse and serve as a heat pump for winter.

In places where a swamp cooler works, a little more humidity isn't a bad
thing.

Why does anyone want humidity? If it's hot, humid air makes it feel hotter, as your sweat can't evaporate so easily. In cold weather, the damp cools you down more. So it's never wanted.

You really should get out of Scotland sometimes. There are plenty of
places where the humidity is very low. The house being too dry is a
problem.

Why? What's so bad about dry air?

People run humidifiers in the winter. The other thing you
miss is if it gets much below zero C, your heat pump stops working.
There just is not enough available heat to do you any good and the
outside coils ice up.

Funny how a domestic freezer can easily make it down to -20C on the cold side.

Even at 5-7 C they are not very efficient. That
is why they usually have toaster wire strips in them.
When you want to heat something up, it is hard to beat burning gas if
you have it. Gas is really cheap here.

Here too, but a heat pump sounds simpler.

What is simpler than a burner a metal can and a fan?

All the radiators/pumps/valves/pipes to distribute the heat.

Most gas furnaces in the US are forced air distribution just like the
AC unit and use the same duct system. Using water and radiators went
away shortly after WWII. I never lived in a house with a radiator.

There must be a reason America uses air and Britain uses water.
Both seem to have advantages, but what would annoy me are draughts and noise, so I'd always fit water:
http://resources.heatingoilexpress.c...-home-heating/

To each their own. We run the blower on the HVAC system constantly.
We often have the ceiling fans running as well, particularly in the
summer when the rooms are much more comfortable if we don't let
warm air collect near the ceiling. Like most cold-climate houses,
our ducts feed air near the floor, having been designed before
home central air was popular.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 14:36:24 +0100, KenK
wrote:

[snip]

Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards? You just reverse
the pump. Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has
been able to do this. The controller usually has settings for
heating, cooling, or automatic. On automatic you can simply set a
range (say 18 - 22C) and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under,
it heats.

What you're describing is what is referred to a split unit system or
inverter. After screwing around with a through the wall A/C unit which
was noisier than all get out in the size needed to cool the addition, I
finally got smart and picked up a split system (air handler inside,
compressor/inverter outside). What a difference. Very quiet (hard to
tell it's running, actually), and much cheaper than our old A/C unit.
And, as you say, when heat is needed, the system reverses itself and
heats the interior drawing heat from outside even when it's in the 20F
degree range outside.

I wasn't aware they still made the one way systems. I know of several
commercial and domestic places around here in the UK who have had AC
units fitted (and they only wanted to cool the room down), and they're
all reversible.

Personally, I have never seen a window type inverter system such as you
describe, only the split systems. Doesn't mean they aren't out there on
this side of the pond, just that I've not seen them and I was looking
for any suitable alternatives to the window/thru wall units two years
ago when I went to the current split.

They do make window shaker heat pumps but I am not sure how big the
market actually is for them. I suspect it may just be using mini split
hardware in one box.

You see them in motels, at least that's where I've mostly seen them.
Not exactly a window unit, but through the wall, self-contained.

I'm surprised glass can support the weight of those things.

--
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Does it make an audible noise? Do you ever notice the draughts? If it's so perfect, why isn't the UK ditching their water systems? I've not seen one single air system over here, so there must be something wrong with them.

--
I imposed a declaration in opposition to your motion to modify the preliminary injunction in support of the cross motion to vacate the preliminary injunction. So noted by the Federal Court of Justice proceeding preliminary declaration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2018 9:17 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:11:04 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 7:33:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 7 May 2018 16:37:56 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[snip]

Personally, I have never seen a window type inverter system such as you
describe, only the split systems.* Doesn't mean they aren't out
there on
this side of the pond, just that I've not seen them and I was looking
for any suitable alternatives to the window/thru wall units two years
ago when I went to the current split.

They do make window shaker heat pumps but I am not sure how big the
market actually is for them. I suspect it may just be using mini split
hardware in one box.

You see them in motels, at least that's where I've mostly seen them.
Not exactly a window unit, but through the wall, self-contained.

I'm surprised glass can support the weight of those things.

The glass doesn't provide the majority of support, the window sill does
and if it can't handle the weight of an A/C unit you have far bigger
problems. The unit is pretty much balanced there with some force being
taken by the bottom rail in a double hung window. Nothing major if
properly installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 10:57:19 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 5/8/2018 9:17 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:11:04 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 7:33:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 7 May 2018 16:37:56 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[snip]

Personally, I have never seen a window type inverter system such as you
describe, only the split systems.Â* Doesn't mean they aren't out
there on
this side of the pond, just that I've not seen them and I was looking
for any suitable alternatives to the window/thru wall units two years
ago when I went to the current split.

They do make window shaker heat pumps but I am not sure how big the
market actually is for them. I suspect it may just be using mini split
hardware in one box.

You see them in motels, at least that's where I've mostly seen them.
Not exactly a window unit, but through the wall, self-contained.

I'm surprised glass can support the weight of those things.

The glass doesn't provide the majority of support, the window sill does
and if it can't handle the weight of an A/C unit you have far bigger
problems.

More like the glass doesn't provide any of the support, unless it's
an unusual window. Again, the idiot is just trolling.

The unit is pretty much balanced there with some force being
taken by the bottom rail in a double hung window. Nothing major if
properly installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:57:13 +0100, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

On 5/8/2018 9:17 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:11:04 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 7:33:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 7 May 2018 16:37:56 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

I'd still be concerned by vibration.

--
Streakers bewa Your end is in sight!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 16:01:53 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 10:57:19 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 5/8/2018 9:17 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:11:04 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 7:33:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 7 May 2018 16:37:56 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

[snip]

Oh do **** off. I've never seen a window mounted AC unit and assumed they were like our extractor fans - mounted in the centre of the window. Why on earth would you assume I was trolling? Seriously, you're ****ing demented. Nobody on the entire planet would ask a question if they weren't asking it seriously. I've had enough of your treehugging left wing bull**** and you're off my list.

--
The average dishcloth contains 3 million times as many bacteria as the average toilet seat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile Yanks Alert!

On Tue, 8 May 2018 09:57:13 -0500, Unquestionably Confused, another mentally
deficient Yankietard, blathered:

I'm surprised glass can support the weight of those things.

The glass doesn't provide the majority of support,

No ****, eh, you troll-feeding retard? BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile Yank Alert!

On Tue, 8 May 2018 10:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski, the notorious,
troll-feeding Yankietard, blathered again:

Nearest gas is 1/4 mile away. We use oil.

You GET used by a troll, Yankie cretin!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2018 06:44:05 -0400, Chuck Dumbrowcyzk, another "new"
troll-feeding Yankietard, blathered:

Why on earth would you still use an antiquated measurement system that
doesn't have a zero in a sensible place?Â* C is easy - 0 is freezing 100
is boiling.Â* Of water, the most important thing on the planet.

The Fahrenheit scale is a temperature scale invented by a Polock physicist
Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686€“1736).

He was actually German, senile Yankietard!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2018 11:02 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

The glass doesn't provide the majority of support, the window sill does
and if it can't handle the weight of an A/C unit you have far bigger
problems.* The unit is pretty much balanced there with some force being
taken by the bottom rail in a double hung window.* Nothing major if
properly installed.

I'd still be concerned by vibration.

There are millions of them in use. Problems are rare, usually from
homeowner mistakes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 17:20:00 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/8/2018 11:02 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

The glass doesn't provide the majority of support, the window sill does
and if it can't handle the weight of an A/C unit you have far bigger
problems. The unit is pretty much balanced there with some force being
taken by the bottom rail in a double hung window. Nothing major if
properly installed.

I'd still be concerned by vibration.

There are millions of them in use. Problems are rare, usually from
homeowner mistakes.

In my experience glass is bloody fragile. It surprises me it doesn't shatter more often.

--
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants -- Whitney Brown
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile Idiot Alert!

On Tue, 8 May 2018 12:20:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski, the notorious,
troll-feeding Yankietard, blathered again:

I'd still be concerned by vibration.

There are millions of them in use. Problems are rare, usually from
homeowner mistakes.

He's really ONLY concerned whether you are stupid enough to keep taking all
his baits or not! So far, there's no need for him to be concerned: you ARE
stupid enough! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/08/2018 04:44 AM, Chuck Dumbrowcyzk wrote:
On 05/07/2018 03:43 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Why on earth would you still use an antiquated measurement system that
doesn't have a zero in a sensible place? C is easy - 0 is freezing
100 is boiling. Of water, the most important thing on the planet.

The Fahrenheit scale is a temperature scale invented by a Polock
physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686€“1736).

Being born in Danzig doesn't make him a Pole...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 May 2018 19:31:54 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Up here a swamp cooler would use a LOT more power and would still
not cool effectively. Our summer humidity is too high for a "swamp
cooler" to work. They are really only "desert coolers"

Seems water should be at a premium in the desert.
I'd think your water bill may take a hit.

Um yes, water is a premium. We use Xeriscaping. My entire yard is
sandstone rocks in various sizes. Drip lines for some plants and
gardens. The swamp cooler holds only so much water in the pan with a
circulation pump, the units have a float valve and adds water as it
evaporates. Pools can evaporate;, say ~5,000 gallons of water a year.

Golf courses have moved to use gray water for irrigation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/08/2018 07:14 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

There must be a reason America uses air and Britain uses water.
Both seem to have advantages, but what would annoy me are draughts and
noise, so I'd always fit water:
http://resources.heatingoilexpress.c...-home-heating/

As the article says forced air is also good at recycling dust if the
filters aren't kept clean and tends to dry out the air even more. I have
air but would prefer water. Many places I've lived had water/steam heat
and I didn't see a disadvantage. The old steam systems could be noisy
too while the hot water circulation pump broadcasts its noise through
the plumbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 May 2018 20:01:34 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 18:04:44 +0100, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 7 May 2018 12:36:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In some places a swamp cooler just adds to
the already high humidity and is not very efficient. They are best used
in the southwest US. Never saw one in the east.

Putting humidity in the air; in the desert, cools the skin. If outside
humidity reaches ~40=45% they are less efficient and almost useless.
Hard water wears them out, a reason for service so often in summer.

Right now it is 87 F with 10% humidity.(Las Vegas)

I don't believe you on the cooling the skin. Your body sweats to evaporate. Evaporation works better if the air is drier.

I don't vie a damn what you believe. I live in the desert. So **** off
limey.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/08/2018 07:14 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Non-frost-free freezers manage just fine. And the inside of a freezer
is most certainly not dry.

You haven't seen my non-frost-free freezer apparently. I seldom use it
and defrost it about once a year when the ice buildup impacts the shelf
space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/08/2018 07:21 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
[...]

Tell you what. I'll draw you a map. Start from Mexico 2 and head toward
Yuma with a gallon jug of water. We'll see if you make it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2018 11:59:59 -0600, rbowman wrote:

You haven't seen my non-frost-free freezer apparently. I seldom use it
and defrost it about once a year when the ice buildup impacts the shelf
space.

Clean the door gasket? My 1997 unit doesn't frost much since only the
bride opens it. No more cooling or grabbing beer. Open the door often
and it will certainly frost up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2018 12:14:20 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Here in New England

Could you guys not have thought of an original name?

New Improved England? Everybody was doing it. I grew up in New
Netherland. People there didn't care much for New England; bunch of
religious fanatics. The Puritans loved religious freedom so much one of
the first things they did was hang four Quakers. No wonder they got
booted out of England.

Fer cripes sake. Didn't the tyrant invader King declare it New
England?

Ed, wasn't around back then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 19:03:16 +0100, rbowman wrote:

[...]

Do you even have a point? The wetter the air, the less your sweat works.

--
63% of men have had sex in the shower.
The other 37% have never been to prison.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 18:59:59 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 07:14 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Non-frost-free freezers manage just fine. And the inside of a freezer
is most certainly not dry.

You haven't seen my non-frost-free freezer apparently. I seldom use it
and defrost it about once a year when the ice buildup impacts the shelf
space.

Thanks for proving my point.

--
"Do you like Kipling?"
"I don't know, I've never kippled."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 18:04:44 +0100, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 7 May 2018 12:36:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In some places a swamp cooler just adds to
the already high humidity and is not very efficient. They are best used
in the southwest US. Never saw one in the east.

Putting humidity in the air; in the desert, cools the skin. If outside
humidity reaches ~40=45% they are less efficient and almost useless.
Hard water wears them out, a reason for service so often in summer.

Right now it is 87 F with 10% humidity.(Las Vegas)

I don't believe you on the cooling the skin. Your body sweats to evaporate. Evaporation works better if the air is drier.

I don't vie a damn what you believe. I live in the desert. So **** off
limey.

And your sweating will work perfectly. Dampen the air and it can't evaporate so much. Basic physics.

Not living in the desert; evaporative coolers, shows what a dumb ****
you are. Have you kissed the queens ass today, did she wash it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

A dirty furnace filter can't recycle dust. It gets plugged and if anything will catch more dust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I understand basic physics, clearly you don't. What on earth makes you think it's easier for your sweat to evaporate when there's already water in the air?

Have you kissed the queens ass today, did she wash it?

I don't see how the queen is relevant, but like most of the UK population I wish the parasite would go away. She's not in power, the prime minister is. She does nothing and gets paid millions for it.

--
The "new labour" government has just announced that they are changing their party emblem from a red rose to a condom, as they believe it most accurately represents the governments political stance.
A condom stands up to inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks and gives you a false sense of security when you're actually being screwed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 14:20:30 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

I detest fireplaces. When not in use, you can hear the neighbour's dog through the chimney. And presumably you're losing a lot of heat through it too.

That is why we have a fake one. It is a Dimco and the fire looks
pretty real (not just a roller wrapped in crumpled foil with a light
behind it). Most of the time it is just running in fake mode using a
few watts of power but there is a 1.44KW heater in there that is
plenty to warm the living room.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Fireplace%202.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2018 11:45:50 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 04:44 AM, Chuck Dumbrowcyzk wrote:
On 05/07/2018 03:43 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Why on earth would you still use an antiquated measurement system that
doesn't have a zero in a sensible place? C is easy - 0 is freezing
100 is boiling. Of water, the most important thing on the planet.

The Fahrenheit scale is a temperature scale invented by a Polock
physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686–1736).

Being born in Danzig doesn't make him a Pole...

More likely a Cherman than a Pole.
Danzig was it's (East) german name. When it became part of Poland it
was knownn as Gdansk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 14:21:19 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

[...]

Your lungs and sinuses are not really that happy at 0% humidity tho
and it would be worse for a guy like you who grew up in a wet place.
My lips chap and my nose bleeds at 10-15% out west.
OTOH those people die here when it is 90f 90r/h and they brag about
jogging when it is 105 on Phoenix. I can be out there in the afternoon
mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow.

Should I consider a swamp cooler? [email protected] Home Repair 17 June 18th 05 11:06 AM
swamp cooler question JK Home Repair 14 June 7th 05 09:47 PM
replacement bottom swamp cooler pans Anthony Ewell Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 09:11 PM
swamp cooler anode Anthony Ewell Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 07:06 AM
Swamp cooler question SteveB Metalworking 31 May 24th 05 03:28 AM