Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On Tue, 08 May 2018 14:21:19 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 02:02:39 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/07/2018 01:42 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2018 20:28:14 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/07/2018 12:59 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

What does it feel like to be in a house that's "too dry"?

The furniture tends to fall apart, to say nothing of your skin. It's
rough on many musical instruments too. I went to a uilleann pipes
concert in March and the guy was crouched over a vaporizer trying to
keep them functional.

The interesting part is you don't sweat like most people think about
sweating. Your pores are putting out moisture but it evaporates
immediately.

But that's the point. As soon as your sweat evaporates, it's performed
it's purpose, you cool down. It can't evaporate too fast, that would
make you colder and you just sweat less.

When it's 103 F getting too cold is not a consideration.

Precisely. I'd want 0% humidity so my sweat could evaporate as quickly as possible.

Your lungs and sinuses are not really that happy at 0% humidity tho
and it would be worse for a guy like you who grew up in a wet place.
My lips chap and my nose bleeds at 10-15% out west.
OTOH those people die here when it is 90f 90r/h and they brag about
jogging when it is 105 on Phoenix. I can be out there in the afternoon
mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow.