Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On Tue, 8 May 2018 10:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/8/2018 9:22 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Why, when we have more efficient central heating systems using lower
cost fuel?* They are good in some areas, but not all.* My new house will
have a heat pump but it is a much more mild climate.

I can use electricity or gas.* Gas is way cheaper, but you can't run a
heat pump with it.* Heat pumps cost about the same to run as gas.

Nearest gas is 1/4 mile away. We use oil.

Ben there, done that. STINKTY stuff!!!
At least the new burners burn a bit cleaner and there is less sulphur
in it than their used to be...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 20:47:32 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 14:20:30 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

I detest fireplaces. When not in use, you can hear the neighbour's dog through the chimney. And presumably you're losing a lot of heat through it too.

That is why we have a fake one. It is a Dimco and the fire looks
pretty real (not just a roller wrapped in crumpled foil with a light
behind it). Most of the time it is just running in fake mode using a
few watts of power but there is a 1.44KW heater in there that is
plenty to warm the living room.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Fireplace%202.jpg

A few watts? All the ones I've seen require two 60W incandescent bulbs which rotate little fan things and make the red light flicker.

--
Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2018 11:59:59 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 07:14 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Non-frost-free freezers manage just fine. And the inside of a freezer
is most certainly not dry.

You haven't seen my non-frost-free freezer apparently. I seldom use it
and defrost it about once a year when the ice buildup impacts the shelf
space.

If a freezer is not opened to let in humid air it is VERY dry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2018 07:11:04 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 7:33:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:

They do make window shaker heat pumps but I am not sure how big the
market actually is for them. I suspect it may just be using mini split
hardware in one box.

You see them in motels, at least that's where I've mostly seen them.
Not exactly a window unit, but through the wall, self-contained.

That is a PTAC. They also make a regular window shaker that has a heat
pump function. My neighbor had one in her "Florida room". It was about
3/4 ton and did a good job on a 350 sq/ft room that was all windows
with a pan roof and zero insulation. It doesn't really get cold here
tho.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:17:57 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

I'm surprised glass can support the weight of those things.

Window shakers sit on the sill and that carries most of the weight,
The window frame keeps it from falling out. The new ones are really
pretty light and they don't actually "shake" much. Some of those old
ones took two people to pick up and they rattled the pictures on the
wall when the compressor shut down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:26:33 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:15:24 +0100, wrote:

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 9:14:13 AM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2018 00:26:06 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 21:23:04 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 21:13:18 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 19:59:34 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 19:07:11 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 18:28:24 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2018 17:34:32 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 05/07/2018 07:44 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
It wouldn't matter to me which was more efficient. A swamp cooler is a
pretend AC unit. It evaporates water, therefore humidifying the room.
Also a real AC unit can run in reverse and serve as a heat pump for winter.

In places where a swamp cooler works, a little more humidity isn't a bad
thing.

Why does anyone want humidity? If it's hot, humid air makes it feel hotter, as your sweat can't evaporate so easily. In cold weather, the damp cools you down more. So it's never wanted.

You really should get out of Scotland sometimes. There are plenty of
places where the humidity is very low. The house being too dry is a
problem.

Why? What's so bad about dry air?

People run humidifiers in the winter. The other thing you
miss is if it gets much below zero C, your heat pump stops working.
There just is not enough available heat to do you any good and the
outside coils ice up.

Funny how a domestic freezer can easily make it down to -20C on the cold side.

Even at 5-7 C they are not very efficient. That
is why they usually have toaster wire strips in them.
When you want to heat something up, it is hard to beat burning gas if
you have it. Gas is really cheap here.

Here too, but a heat pump sounds simpler.

What is simpler than a burner a metal can and a fan?

All the radiators/pumps/valves/pipes to distribute the heat.

Most gas furnaces in the US are forced air distribution just like the
AC unit and use the same duct system. Using water and radiators went
away shortly after WWII. I never lived in a house with a radiator.

There must be a reason America uses air and Britain uses water.
Both seem to have advantages, but what would annoy me are draughts and noise, so I'd always fit water:
http://resources.heatingoilexpress.c...-home-heating/

To each their own. We run the blower on the HVAC system constantly.
We often have the ceiling fans running as well, particularly in the
summer when the rooms are much more comfortable if we don't let
warm air collect near the ceiling. Like most cold-climate houses,
our ducts feed air near the floor, having been designed before
home central air was popular.

Does it make an audible noise? Do you ever notice the draughts? If it's so perfect, why isn't the UK ditching their water systems? I've not seen one single air system over here, so there must be something wrong with them.

It is just what people get used to and since AC is not that big a
deal, the economy of scale is not there. Retrofitting a duct system
into an existing house is pretty hard to do too. Houses here are
designed around the duct system. (at least the ones that are well
designed)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:54:46 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

If a freezer is not opened to let in humid air it is VERY dry.

....correct answer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2018 11:57:16 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 07:14 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

There must be a reason America uses air and Britain uses water.
Both seem to have advantages, but what would annoy me are draughts and
noise, so I'd always fit water:
http://resources.heatingoilexpress.c...-home-heating/

As the article says forced air is also good at recycling dust if the
filters aren't kept clean and tends to dry out the air even more.

The best filters are pleated paper like a Space Guard and the filter
elements themselves are getting pretty cheap.
The only thing better is the electrostatic filter and you still need a
pretty good prefilter in front of that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Tue, 8 May 2018 11:59:59 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

You haven't seen my non-frost-free freezer apparently. I seldom use it
and defrost it about once a year when the ice buildup impacts the shelf
space.

How very interesting, you endlessly blather senile retard! tsk

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2018 12:14:20 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

New Improved England? Everybody was doing it. I grew up in New
Netherland. People there didn't care much for New England; bunch of
religious fanatics. The Puritans loved religious freedom so much one of
the first things they did was hang four Quakers. No wonder they got
booted out of England.

And yet, YOU turned out to be a sucker of troll cock, Yankietard! Not them!
BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2018 12:03:16 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

Tell you what. I'll draw you a map. Start from Mexico 2 and head toward
Yuma with a gallon jug of water. We'll see if you make it.

If you keep sucking his unwashed cock the way you are doing it, he won't
make it, senile cocksucker!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 20:52:52 +0100, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 10:05:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/8/2018 9:22 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Why, when we have more efficient central heating systems using lower
cost fuel? They are good in some areas, but not all. My new house will
have a heat pump but it is a much more mild climate.

I can use electricity or gas. Gas is way cheaper, but you can't run a
heat pump with it. Heat pumps cost about the same to run as gas.

Nearest gas is 1/4 mile away. We use oil.

Ben there, done that. STINKTY stuff!!!
At least the new burners burn a bit cleaner and there is less sulphur
in it than their used to be...

The exhaust is meant to be outside the house?

--
Clair Frisby talking about a jumbo hot dog on Look North said: "There's nothing like a big hot sausage inside you on a cold night like this."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 20:54:46 +0100, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 11:59:59 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 07:14 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Non-frost-free freezers manage just fine. And the inside of a freezer
is most certainly not dry.

You haven't seen my non-frost-free freezer apparently. I seldom use it
and defrost it about once a year when the ice buildup impacts the shelf
space.

If a freezer is not opened to let in humid air it is VERY dry.

Nonsense, where has the water gone then?

--
Clair Frisby talking about a jumbo hot dog on Look North said: "There's nothing like a big hot sausage inside you on a cold night like this."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 20:58:52 +0100, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 10:01:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/7/2018 7:26 PM, wrote:

Most gas furnaces in the US are forced air distribution just like the
AC unit and use the same duct system. Using water and radiators went
away shortly after WWII. I never lived in a house with a radiator.

Here in New England water is still used a lot. I have baseboard and it
does an excellent job providing even heat and no noise. Central AC is
not as popular here as in warmer climates.

Another reason is fuel. Oil is still the most used and works best with
water. Electric, either resistance or heat pump is very expensive here
with the highest rates in the country.

Oil Forced Air was the "standard" for North American central heat
for decades. A LOT less problems than hydronics - and if the power
goes out and it gets cold Hydronics can get REAL EXPENSIVE, and REAL
FAST!!!!!

Why would a water based system cost more in a power outage?

There is nothing simpler for central heat than forced air - whether
gas,(natural or propane), oil, or wood fired. Electric is just as
simple, but HELLISHLY EXPENSIVE - particularly here in Ontario.

The pipes for my radiators are 8mm thick. I assume you have to run huge piping for the air....

--
New Zealand Rugby Commentator - "Andrew Mehrtens loves it when Daryl Gibson comes inside of him."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm surprised glass can support the weight of those things.

Window shakers sit on the sill and that carries most of the weight,
The window frame keeps it from falling out. The new ones are really
pretty light and they don't actually "shake" much. Some of those old
ones took two people to pick up and they rattled the pictures on the
wall when the compressor shut down.

I'm surprised they could rattle pictures without shattering the glass they were touching.

--
"Boy, will I give YOU a haircut!" said Tom barbarously.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2018 11:57:16 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling
senile idiot, blabbered again:

As the article says forced air is also good at recycling dust if the
filters aren't kept clean and tends to dry out the air even more.

The way you keep sucking him off, HE will soon be completely dried out, you
senile Yankie cocksucker! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 21:25:06 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 11:57:16 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 07:14 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

There must be a reason America uses air and Britain uses water.
Both seem to have advantages, but what would annoy me are draughts and
noise, so I'd always fit water:
http://resources.heatingoilexpress.c...-home-heating/

As the article says forced air is also good at recycling dust if the
filters aren't kept clean and tends to dry out the air even more.

The best filters are pleated paper like a Space Guard and the filter
elements themselves are getting pretty cheap.
The only thing better is the electrostatic filter and you still need a
pretty good prefilter in front of that.

I don't have to service my water operated heating ever.

--
Why are they called buildings, when they're already finished? Shouldn't they be called builts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2018 4:35 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Nearest gas is 1/4 mile away. We use oil.

* Been there, done that. STINKTY stuff!!!
At least the new burners burn a bit cleaner and there is less sulphur
in it than their used to be...

The exhaust is meant to be outside the house?

New ones have no odor and are efficient. I replace my boiler about 7
years ago. I tracked oil use and degree days and I'm saving about 38%
with the new one and the exhaust is minimal to the existing flue.
It was on this newsgroup that I leaned about it fro Chris, the Stormin
Mormon.
http://energykinetics.com/system2000...icient-boiler/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 21:48:01 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/8/2018 4:35 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Nearest gas is 1/4 mile away. We use oil.
Been there, done that. STINKTY stuff!!!
At least the new burners burn a bit cleaner and there is less sulphur
in it than their used to be...

The exhaust is meant to be outside the house?

New ones have no odor and are efficient. I replace my boiler about 7
years ago. I tracked oil use and degree days and I'm saving about 38%
with the new one and the exhaust is minimal to the existing flue.
It was on this newsgroup that I leaned about it fro Chris, the Stormin
Mormon.
http://energykinetics.com/system2000...icient-boiler/

Even old oil boilers don't smell if the flue is placed somewhere sensible, like a chimney on top of the house. They're all like that here, never smelt any oil fumes ever.

--
According to a British medical journal, men reduce their chances of having a fatal heart attack by [about] 36% if they have at least 100 orgasms a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

And a properly installed and designed forced air system is virtually
quiet - and no banging pipes like many hydronic systems.

Minor leaks are not a problem either.

With the blower on lkow temps are as even or more even than with
hydronics.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2018 11:57:16 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 07:14 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

There must be a reason America uses air and Britain uses water.
Both seem to have advantages, but what would annoy me are draughts and
noise, so I'd always fit water:
http://resources.heatingoilexpress.c...-home-heating/

As the article says forced air is also good at recycling dust if the
filters aren't kept clean and tends to dry out the air even more. I have
air but would prefer water. Many places I've lived had water/steam heat
and I didn't see a disadvantage. The old steam systems could be noisy
too while the hot water circulation pump broadcasts its noise through
the plumbing.

At least forced air HAS filters - which DO remove a lot of dust fron
the air, and hot water heat is every bit as "dry" as forced air. The
water stays IN the radiators. (or at least is is supposed to!!!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile Yank Alert!

On Tue, 8 May 2018 16:48:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski, the notorious,
troll-feeding Yankietard, blathered again:

New ones have no odor and are efficient. I replace my boiler about 7
years ago. I tracked oil use and degree days and I'm saving about 38%
with the new one and the exhaust is minimal to the existing flue.
It was on this newsgroup that I leaned about it fro Chris, the Stormin
Mormon.

You are soon going to "lean" on this group what a sick Yankie cretin you
are, cretin! That's a promise! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 16:09:37 -0400, , the mentally
challenged, notorious, troll-feeding retard, blabbered again:

It is just what people get used to

....and he HAS gotten used to you sucking him off, EVERY single day, Yankie
cocksucker! BG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 22:23:28 +0100, Clare Snyder wrote:

[...]

It's not so much the water getting out as air (well hydrogen) being created from rust inside the radiators and blocking the flow of water. Why can't someone invent a water pump that can cope with an air bubble?

--
Risk more than others think is safe.
Care more than others think is wise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I detest fireplaces. When not in use, you can hear the neighbour's dog through the chimney. And presumably you're losing a lot of heat through it too.

That is why we have a fake one. It is a Dimco and the fire looks
pretty real (not just a roller wrapped in crumpled foil with a light
behind it). Most of the time it is just running in fake mode using a
few watts of power but there is a 1.44KW heater in there that is
plenty to warm the living room.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Fireplace%202.jpg

Direct vent gas fireplaces also do not let out heat or make you
listen to the neighbour's dog .

Yes those are fine, I was referring to the old fashioned coal/wood fireplaces that belong two centuries ago.

--
A devout Muslim entered a black cab in London. He curtly asked the cabbie to turn off the radio because as decreed by his religious teaching, he must not listen to music because in the time of the prophet there was no music, especially Western music which is the music of the infidel.
The cab driver politely switched off the radio, stopped the cab and opened the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2018 16:48:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/8/2018 4:35 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Nearest gas is 1/4 mile away. We use oil.
* Been there, done that. STINKTY stuff!!!
At least the new burners burn a bit cleaner and there is less sulphur
in it than their used to be...

The exhaust is meant to be outside the house?

New ones have no odor and are efficient. I replace my boiler about 7
years ago. I tracked oil use and degree days and I'm saving about 38%
with the new one and the exhaust is minimal to the existing flue.
It was on this newsgroup that I leaned about it fro Chris, the Stormin
Mormon.
http://energykinetics.com/system2000...icient-boiler/

Older oil furnaces made a bit of an oil smell inside the house too,
as the firebox was not 100% sealed. They drew fresh air from inside
the house and exhausted it up the chimey - which alsoi had a damper
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 23:04:06 +0100, Clare Snyder wrote:

[...]

I find it amusing the way yanks say "furnace" instead of boiler. A furnace is a huge commercial device, like the things for burning refuse.

--
Did you know? Jizz can be used as invisible ink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2018 6:06 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

I find it amusing the way yanks say "furnace" instead of boiler.* A
furnace is a huge commercial device, like the things for burning refuse.

Rule of thumb:
Furnaces heat air
Boilers heat water

Many houses do have hot air furnaces for heat.

Wiki talks about Brit use of the term
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furnace

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2018 18:26:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski, the notorious,
troll-feeding Yankietard, blathered again:

Rule of thumb:
Furnaces heat air
Boilers heat water

And idiots like you feed trolls! Innit, you Yankie cretin? BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 23:26:16 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/8/2018 6:06 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

I find it amusing the way yanks say "furnace" instead of boiler. A
furnace is a huge commercial device, like the things for burning refuse.

Rule of thumb:
Furnaces heat air
Boilers heat water

Many houses do have hot air furnaces for heat.

Wiki talks about Brit use of the term
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furnace

"In British English, a furnace is an industrial furnace"
British English, that's the real one, not your fake American version. A furnace is industrial, end of story.

--
Seen in a lift:
"Please do not allow excessive obnoxious gaseous substances to be released from your anal orifice as the ventilation system is limited".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm surprised glass can support the weight of those things.

Window shakers sit on the sill and that carries most of the weight,
The window frame keeps it from falling out. The new ones are really
pretty light and they don't actually "shake" much. Some of those old
ones took two people to pick up and they rattled the pictures on the
wall when the compressor shut down.

I'm surprised they could rattle pictures without shattering the glass they were touching.

The glass was typically in a wooden frame and pretty well insulated
from the vibration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 21:35:32 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

On Tue, 08 May 2018 20:54:46 +0100, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 11:59:59 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 07:14 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Non-frost-free freezers manage just fine. And the inside of a freezer
is most certainly not dry.

You haven't seen my non-frost-free freezer apparently. I seldom use it
and defrost it about once a year when the ice buildup impacts the shelf
space.

If a freezer is not opened to let in humid air it is VERY dry.

Nonsense, where has the water gone then?

When you defrost the old style freezer you break off the ice and throw
it away. On a "frost free" it is melted, runs down the back and drips
out the bottom into a tray under the fridge. The condenser coil is
usually under that tray and evaporates the water into the air in the
house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2018 23:06:25 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"
wrote:

[...]

They call a forced air unit a furnace, A boiler would be used with a
water based system.

Should I consider a swamp cooler? [email protected] Home Repair 17 June 18th 05 11:06 AM
swamp cooler question JK Home Repair 14 June 7th 05 09:47 PM
replacement bottom swamp cooler pans Anthony Ewell Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 09:11 PM
swamp cooler anode Anthony Ewell Home Repair 5 May 24th 05 07:06 AM
Swamp cooler question SteveB Metalworking 31 May 24th 05 03:28 AM