Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On Tue, 08 May 2018 22:23:28 +0100, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 11:57:16 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 05/08/2018 07:14 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

There must be a reason America uses air and Britain uses water.
Both seem to have advantages, but what would annoy me are draughts and
noise, so I'd always fit water:
http://resources.heatingoilexpress.c...-home-heating/

As the article says forced air is also good at recycling dust if the
filters aren't kept clean and tends to dry out the air even more. I have
air but would prefer water. Many places I've lived had water/steam heat
and I didn't see a disadvantage. The old steam systems could be noisy
too while the hot water circulation pump broadcasts its noise through
the plumbing.

At least forced air HAS filters - which DO remove a lot of dust fron
the air, and hot water heat is every bit as "dry" as forced air. The
water stays IN the radiators. (or at least is is supposed to!!!)

It's not so much the water getting out as air (well hydrogen) being created from rust inside the radiators and blocking the flow of water. Why can't someone invent a water pump that can cope with an air bubble?

--
Risk more than others think is safe.
Care more than others think is wise.