Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On Mon, 07 May 2018 19:31:54 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Up here a swamp cooler would use a LOT more power and would still
not cool effectively. Our summer humidity is too high for a "swamp
cooler" to work. They are really only "desert coolers"

Seems water should be at a premium in the desert.
I'd think your water bill may take a hit.

Um yes, water is a premium. We use Xeriscaping. My entire yard is
sandstone rocks in various sizes. Drip lines for some plants and
gardens. The swamp cooler holds only so much water in the pan with a
circulation pump, the units have a float valve and adds water as it
evaporates. Pools can evaporate;, say ~5,000 gallons of water a year.

Golf courses have moved to use gray water for irrigation.