Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:57:13 +0100, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

On 5/8/2018 9:17 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2018 15:11:04 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 7:33:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 7 May 2018 16:37:56 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[snip]

Personally, I have never seen a window type inverter system such as you
describe, only the split systems. Doesn't mean they aren't out
there on
this side of the pond, just that I've not seen them and I was looking
for any suitable alternatives to the window/thru wall units two years
ago when I went to the current split.

They do make window shaker heat pumps but I am not sure how big the
market actually is for them. I suspect it may just be using mini split
hardware in one box.

You see them in motels, at least that's where I've mostly seen them.
Not exactly a window unit, but through the wall, self-contained.

I'm surprised glass can support the weight of those things.

The glass doesn't provide the majority of support, the window sill does
and if it can't handle the weight of an A/C unit you have far bigger
problems. The unit is pretty much balanced there with some force being
taken by the bottom rail in a double hung window. Nothing major if
properly installed.

I'd still be concerned by vibration.

--
Streakers bewa Your end is in sight!