Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Default Refrigerator not working again!

On 9/25/2010 8:42 PM, Steve wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 9/25/2010 4:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks. Looks good. Wish they would make some in a spray can, self
penetrating. Just spray it onto a leaky TXV or gas thread, and walk
away. And while I'm dreaming, make me an adjustable crescent flare
wrench.

Locktite makes a penetrating locker but when you have something
apart, a thin coat of Leak Lock on the mating surfaces and all
your problems are solved. I use it on all mechanical connections,
it will even hold screws in place.

So your the idiot that puts that crap on service port caps. :-(

Nope, nope, nope, not me! I use the appropriate sealer in the
appropriate places. I once did a lot of commercial glass work
and automatic door installation and service. That's the sort
of thing Loctite and Nylock nuts were made for. The Leak Lock
for the air fittings on the pneumatic door systems. Those old
Stanley air doors sounded just like the doors on Star Trek, do
you remember those? Just about every grocery store had the damn
things 30-40 years ago. Most of the pneumatic and hydraulic door
operators have been replaced by 90 volt DC drive units. Folks
would be amazed at the technology that goes into those ubiquitous
automatic doors they wander through everyday. 8-)

TDD

Trivia note- on the original show, they got lots of letters from
architects and engineers wanting to know how they got the automagic
sliding doors to open and close so fast. They were well faster than what
was commercially available in 1960s. It was all a fakeout- the door
slides were done by stagehands, pulling or pushing on cue. I suspect the
dubbed sound effect for the opening and closing may well have been from
a Stanley of the era. They stole sound effects from lots of places, and
then tweaked as needed. One of the early torpedo sounds was the sound
you get from hitting the web of a loose steel I-beam with a hammer. Back
in that pre-computer era, all the sound effects were artisan work like that.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

It's very possible he was picking for real on both sides. Sometimes
one lock will open, and the other won't.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
I once had a girlfriend who had custody of a 16-year old kid, whose
dad
bought him a brand-new pickup truck, as an abseentee parent bribe or
whatever. He locked his keys in it. We called a locksmith, who was an
off-duty cop, and went out to watch him pick the lock. The guy was
poking around and poking around, and we kind of got lost in
conversation;
we had wanted to see him pick the lock. Well, after about 10 minutes
of
this, we were all thoroughly distracted, he said, "Well, it doesn't
seem
to be working here - let me try the other side." Before any of us
clued
up and thought to chase him to the other side of the truck, he had the
lock picked in about three seconds.

I was rather saddened that I didn't get to see how it was done. )-;

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Plenty of bloopers were filmed, when the stage hands weren't quite on
cue, and people walked into doors.

Of course, now you can mention about the salt shakers....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:42:18 -0500, "Steve"
wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 9/25/2010 4:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks. Looks good. Wish they would make some in a spray can, self
penetrating. Just spray it onto a leaky TXV or gas thread, and walk
away. And while I'm dreaming, make me an adjustable crescent flare
wrench.

Locktite makes a penetrating locker but when you have something
apart, a thin coat of Leak Lock on the mating surfaces and all
your problems are solved. I use it on all mechanical connections,
it will even hold screws in place.

So your the idiot that puts that crap on service port caps. :-(

Red, no doubt :-)

Actually blue Leak Lock

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"The Daring wrote in message
[...]

Ben Burtt who did the sound for the Star Wars saga would walk around
with a tape recorder and a hammer. He came up with the blaster sound by
hitting a guy wire with a wrench. Chewbacca's voice was created by the
original films' sound designer, Ben Burtt, from a mix of recordings of
walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers in Burtt's personal
library. Burtt is notorious for using this famous sound effect:

http://www.hollywoodlostandfound.net/wilhelm/

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

wrote:

"The Daring wrote in message
On 9/25/2010 4:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks. Looks good. Wish they would make some in a spray can, self
penetrating. Just spray it onto a leaky TXV or gas thread, and walk
away. And while I'm dreaming, make me an adjustable crescent flare
wrench.

Locktite makes a penetrating locker but when you have something
apart, a thin coat of Leak Lock on the mating surfaces and all
your problems are solved. I use it on all mechanical connections,
it will even hold screws in place.

So your the idiot that puts that crap on service port caps. :-(

Red, no doubt :-)

Actually blue Leak Lock

It only takes a tiny amount of Leak Lock on the sealing surfaces. Some
people think the more the better. Can you say: clogged TXV screen?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

The web site reccomended wiping the threads with alcohol before
applying the leak lock. I wonder how many people actually do this?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Red, no doubt :-)

Actually blue Leak Lock

It only takes a tiny amount of Leak Lock on the sealing surfaces. Some
people think the more the better. Can you say: clogged TXV screen?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

. 3.70...
"Grumpy" fired this volley in news:i7j3uc$muc$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

and refrigerant another $500.00 plus tax

Grump... are you telling me you'd charge $500.00 for ten ounces of
refrigerant? Oh, you ARE an HVAC repairman!

LLoyd

NO I charge minimum 3 hours plus 0.80 per mile plus tolls
if I need to go back and 4 hour if I don't need to go back
All new customer $110/ H, all old customer $105/H
At present all customers $0.80 /mile

Refrigerant is charge as fallow:
R-12, 1/2lb. $33.40
R-404 1/2lb. $9.40
R-410 1/2lb. $11.20
R-503 1/2lb. $187.65
R-508 1/2lb. $80.00

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Grumpy" fired this volley in news:i7oa08$qa8$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

NO I charge minimum 3 hours plus 0.80 per mile plus tolls
if I need to go back and 4 hour if I don't need to go back

So, you're saying if you screw up, or you can't fix it on the first call,
you charge more?

That's certainly in keeping with the "j.m" types I am familiar with.

In my business, if we screw up, we eat the sale, and replace the goods at
no charge.

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Grumpy" fired this volley in news:i7oa08$qa8$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

NO I charge minimum 3 hours plus 0.80 per mile plus tolls
if I need to go back and 4 hour if I don't need to go back

So, you're saying if you screw up, or you can't fix it on the first call,
you charge more?

That's certainly in keeping with the "j.m" types I am familiar with.

In my business, if we screw up, we eat the sale, and replace the goods at
no charge.

The same as when I was in the industrail electronics repair
business. If our tech missed a problem, all the customer paid for was
any additional parts. Id didn't make a lot of difference, since the
callback rate was under 1%.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

wrote:

"The Daring wrote in message
On 9/25/2010 4:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks. Looks good. Wish they would make some in a spray can, self
penetrating. Just spray it onto a leaky TXV or gas thread, and walk
away. And while I'm dreaming, make me an adjustable crescent flare
wrench.

Locktite makes a penetrating locker but when you have something
apart, a thin coat of Leak Lock on the mating surfaces and all
your problems are solved. I use it on all mechanical connections,
it will even hold screws in place.

So your the idiot that puts that crap on service port caps. :-(

Red, no doubt :-)

Actually blue Leak Lock

It only takes a tiny amount of Leak Lock on the sealing surfaces. Some
people think the more the better. Can you say: clogged TXV screen?

I only use that stuff in very small amounts on black iron pipe threads when
I am running a gas line to a furnace.

I have found where bonehead hacks have put it on service valve caps, service
port caps, on the threads of flare fittings(but not the flare itself), and a
host of other places it doesn't belong. usually from the mess that was left,
it was pretty obvious they got it all over themselves too.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Steve wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

It only takes a tiny amount of Leak Lock on the sealing surfaces. Some
people think the more the better. Can you say: clogged TXV screen?

I only use that stuff in very small amounts on black iron pipe threads when
I am running a gas line to a furnace.

I had to replace the gas service to my house in Ohio, years ago. The
character from CG&E was a pompous ass who informed me that I had failed
the pressure test before he even got out of his truck. Then he said,
None of the approzed contractor passed before the third test and no home
owner had ever passed the test so I was about to kiss the $75 fee
goodbye. The first thing he looked at was the Robroy installation kit,
the orange plastic gas pipe and the #12 copper wire that was secured to
the pipe.

Well, it did pass on the first try so he went to insect everything
else. Then he was standing there in my basement looking at the 21'
piece of black iron pipe that ran from a tee at the furnace, directly to
the gas meter outside. He finally asked how I got that much pipe into
the tiny basement. I smiled and told him it was really easy, after I
dug a 30° angled hole beside the meter, and gave the pipe a shove. Then
he tried to claim I used the wrong pipe tape, but couldn't deny that the
partially used roll was the proper type. All the pipe had been removed,
inspected and reinstalled after the old pipe dope was wire brushed from
the threads.

He was ****ed off, but he had to approve everything and turn my gas
back on.

The new water service was another story.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Steve wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Some inspectors get a little full of themselves. The last time I had a run
in with an inspector, he was an ass from the start. I pulled *my* code
books, and the manufacturers instructions handed them to him and told him to
*SHOW* me where my work didn't comply. He couldn't do it, and had to pass
the job. He didn't work there very long after they figured out his resume
and job history wasn't what he said it was.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Steve wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I built UHF TV station in Destin, Florida about 20 years ago. The
local building inspector stormed in and ordered me to stop working on
the transmitter, because I didn't have a local electrician's license. I
laid the original blueprints of the RCA system on the table and pointed
to the top left corner that was marked "Electrician. Connect power
he" and tried to explain that i was assembling a piece of industrial
equipment. He screamed you're pulling @#$%^&*( wire, dammit, and
claimed that I was violating the NEC. I tossed him my copy and asked
him to point out which parts I ws violating, and asked how familiar he
was with the industrial and theatrical sections. he turned red and
said, I don't give a damn, it has to be done by someone with a local
license. I smiled and asked him to recommend someone who was bonded for
in excess of $1,000,000 for the damage they could cause. he turned
bright red and said, This pile of **** isn't worth a million bucks! I
smiled and said, I realize that, but if they hook up even one wire
wrong, they would destroy the transmitter and that the new one was only
available turnkey, which was well over a million. Then I asked, Which
one of your local 'Bubbas' knows how to prep and install 30 KV armored
HV cable.

then he tried to tell me that the 1/4" steel plate with the control
wiring and three 480 V to 120 V step down transmitters had to be taken
down and mounted on 1/2" plywood. I told him I would gladly do that, if
he showed me contact for his next of kin, and stood in front of the
equipment when I removed the braces. There was over a ton of
transformers and switch gear on that 4' * 10' plate.

He threw his papers back into his briefcase and yelled, I'll be back
in 15 minutes with a cease & desist order! He never came back. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Steve wrote:

"Michael A. wrote in message
m...

Steve wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I don't usually have problems with inspectors. Wednesday and Thursday
of last week I had to go out to a new department store to install two
kiosks that had to be changed out because there was no UL sticker on
the darn things. The guy who had originally started the job, walked
when he discovered just how difficult the gear was to setup and get
working. The kiosks were quite interesting with a 32" LCD touch screen
turned vertically, a laser scanner, mag-stripe and bar-code swipe
reader, thermal printer and touch pad mouse. The keyboard is on screen
and the contraption is run by an HP/Compaq PC running Win XP. I had to
get the network connection up then format and reimage the hard drive for
the required task. After going through that, the customer assistance
call button would work. I actually worked with U.S. based tech support!
I missed my little Indian friends. sniff

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Steve wrote:

"Michael A. wrote in message
m...

Steve wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Destin and Sandestin are tourist traps with overpiced condos. They
don't want anyone except their G.O.B. doing anything. I went to an
electrical supply house where they refused to sell me anything, even
after learning that I had an account with their company at another
branch in the state. A plumbing supply house refused to sell me some 3"
copper pipe for the cooling system. Both changed their minds after I
told them I would pick them up over the weekend near home, and send
letters to their corporate offices.

Wednesday and Thursday
of last week I had to go out to a new department store to install two
kiosks that had to be changed out because there was no UL sticker on
the darn things. The guy who had originally started the job, walked
when he discovered just how difficult the gear was to setup and get
working. The kiosks were quite interesting with a 32" LCD touch screen
turned vertically, a laser scanner, mag-stripe and bar-code swipe
reader, thermal printer and touch pad mouse. The keyboard is on screen
and the contraption is run by an HP/Compaq PC running Win XP. I had to
get the network connection up then format and reimage the hard drive for
the required task. After going through that, the customer assistance
call button would work. I actually worked with U.S. based tech support!

Even a blind pig finds an acorn at times. ;-)

I missed my little Indian friends. sniff

You need to spend more time at the range. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

:

NO I charge minimum 3 hours plus 0.80 per mile plus tolls
if I need to go back and 4 hour if I don't need to go back

So, you're saying if you screw up, or you can't fix it on the first call,
you charge more?

That's certainly in keeping with the "j.m" types I am familiar with.

In my business, if we screw up, we eat the sale, and replace the goods at
no charge.

LLoyd

Ayup..same as in the machine tool repair business. Thank Crom Ive not
had to eat tooo many such jobs.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Steve wrote:

"Michael A. wrote in message
m...

Steve wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I've done repairs to the computer systems at Blockbuster stores and
the India based tech support personnel are hysterically funny some
of the time, especially when they give me a name. One gal went by
"Julia Roberts", a fellow told me his name was "Stalin" and when I
asked if his first name was "Joseph", he said yes. One time I went
to a store that was so trashed that it scared the Indians so they
put me through to a gal in Texas who spent 8 hours on the phone with
me while I went through and straightened out the entire point of sale
system. A very strange setup with serial and Ethernet on the same
Cat5 cable.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Steve wrote:

"Michael A. wrote in message
m...

Steve wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Don't you just love cheap *******s?

Have you seen the ads for the new TV show called 'Outsourced'?

http://tv.yahoo.com/outsourced/show/46490

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Steve wrote:

"Michael A. wrote in message
m...

Steve wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

GAWD! It looks like it will be funny and connect with a lot of us
who have to deal with foreigners in order to service technology.
I would love to be able to speak Hindi and Urdu, what fun I could
have with tech support. 8-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Especially when they cover the phone, and comment to the operator at
the next cube?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Have you seen the ads for the new TV show called 'Outsourced'?

http://tv.yahoo.com/outsourced/show/46490

GAWD! It looks like it will be funny and connect with a lot of us
who have to deal with foreigners in order to service technology.
I would love to be able to speak Hindi and Urdu, what fun I could
have with tech support. 8-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

You could have told him that you soaked it in hot water, which makes
it flexible.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Well, it did pass on the first try so he went to insect everything
else. Then he was standing there in my basement looking at the 21'
piece of black iron pipe that ran from a tee at the furnace, directly
the gas meter outside. He finally asked how I got that much pipe into
the tiny basement. I smiled and told him it was really easy,

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:

You could have told him that you soaked it in hot water, which makes
it flexible.

I didn't want to waste any more time than I had to. I was working 16
hour days, seven days a week at that time. The gas heat had been off
for a month and it was in SW Ohio where a small electric heater didn't
do much.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

It is rare, when someone on Usenet actually makes sense. This is such
a moment.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon wrote:

You could have told him that you soaked it in hot water, which
makes
it flexible.

I didn't want to waste any more time than I had to. I was working
16
hour days, seven days a week at that time. The gas heat had been off
for a month and it was in SW Ohio where a small electric heater didn't
do much.

--
Politicians should only get paid if the budget is balanced, and there
is

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:

It is rare, when someone on Usenet actually makes sense. This is such
a moment.

Sorry about that!

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

fired this volley in
:
Stormy, you wouldn't recognize a 'moment of reason' if one
jumped up and bit you in the ass.

Twice.

Or three times.

He recognized what a bunch of thieves you are over in your lair.

But, then, a lot of folks knew that, so I guess that doesn't pick him out
of the crowd; not for something THAT obvious.

OTOH, he seems like a totally reasonable person in contrast to your
crowd.

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

1) makes sense
2) apologizes.

Now, for the third, and bonus round. For $54,000,000 wired to you
directly from Nigeria to your bank account. Respond politely to a
misspelled flame, without correcting the spelling. Timer.... tick,
tick, tick, ding....

YOUR AN ITIOT!!!!!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon wrote:

It is rare, when someone on Usenet actually makes sense. This is
such
a moment.

Sorry about that!

--
Politicians should only get paid if the budget is balanced, and there
is
enough left over to pay them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Oh! My! I've been flamed! Dear me, I must go hide under the bed, and
cry.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

fired this volley in
:
Stormy, you wouldn't recognize a 'moment of reason' if one
jumped up and bit you in the ass.

Twice.

Or three times.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Most folks look reasonable, when compared with the residents of
Alternating Havoc list. Still, I'll accept the compliment.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

. 3.70...

He recognized what a bunch of thieves you are over in your lair.

But, then, a lot of folks knew that, so I guess that doesn't pick him
out
of the crowd; not for something THAT obvious.

OTOH, he seems like a totally reasonable person in contrast to your
crowd.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:

1) makes sense
2) apologizes.

Now, for the third, and bonus round. For $54,000,000 wired to you
directly from Nigeria to your bank account. Respond politely to a
misspelled flame, without correcting the spelling. Timer.... tick,
tick, tick, ding....

YOUR AN ITIOT!!!!!

BUZZZZ!!! Sorry, you but lost. The proper phrase is, 'You and your
entire family are flaming idiots!' Don't despair, though. As a
consolation prize you can select any of our high strung trolls to do
whatever you want, with no consequences. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

. 3.70...
"Grumpy" fired this volley in news:i7oa08$qa8$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

NO I charge minimum 3 hours plus 0.80 per mile plus tolls
if I need to go back and 4 hour if I don't need to go back

So, you're saying if you screw up, or you can't fix it on the first call,
you charge more?

You can interpret any way you like but that is not what I said!
What I siad and meant is or was
If I have all material that is require and I was able to complete the work
charge is minimum 4 hours!
If I don't have all material require and I need to go back then
first trip would be 3 hours and second trip will be also min. 3 hours
unless it takes longer! Do you understand now!
I know that my english is not perfect but perhaps I should drow you a
picture?

That's certainly in keeping with the "j.m" types I am familiar with.

In my business, if we screw up, we eat the sale, and replace the goods at
no charge.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Grumpy" fired this volley in news:i7r3l9$h48$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

If I don't have all material require and I need to go back then
first trip would be 3 hours and second trip will be also min. 3 hours
unless it takes longer! Do you understand now!

Yep, I certainly do. If you are not properly equipped to fix the
problem, you charge extra for your incompetence.

Yeah... I got it. I got it from all the ALT.HVAC "pros" I've dealt with.

Honest businessmen don't work that way. If they are the reason for the
failure to perform, they suck it up.

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Perhaps some of you do not know difference going back to finish job
or getting call back, now we are going on subject of warrantees

I had one call back in apx. 20 years, and the reason that I had that
because of manufacturing screwed up which I windup paying for it
That is also because I did not go by my own instinct but lessoning
to some else big mistake that will not happen again!!!

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Grumpy" fired this volley in news:i7oa08$qa8$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

NO I charge minimum 3 hours plus 0.80 per mile plus tolls
if I need to go back and 4 hour if I don't need to go back

So, you're saying if you screw up, or you can't fix it on the first call,
you charge more?

That's certainly in keeping with the "j.m" types I am familiar with.

In my business, if we screw up, we eat the sale, and replace the goods at
no charge.

The same as when I was in the industrail electronics repair
business. If our tech missed a problem, all the customer paid for was
any additional parts. Id didn't make a lot of difference, since the
callback rate was under 1%.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

You can interpret any way you like but that is not what I said!
What I siad and meant is or was
If I have all material that is require and I was able to complete the work
charge is minimum 4 hours!
If I don't have all material require and I need to go back then
first trip would be 3 hours and second trip will be also min. 3 hours
unless it takes longer! Do you understand now!
I know that my english is not perfect but perhaps I should drow you a
picture?

I'm one of the ones you'll have to drow (sic) a picture for. Are you saying
that you are a service person, and IF you do not have the materials on your
truck, that the client is responsible for you to go and get it?

I was a contractor for nearly ten years. I prided myself in running trucks
that were STOCKED. On slow days, or when we had new personnel, their job
was to go through EVERY truck and make sure that EVERY bin of nuts, bolts,
widgets and wuzzits was full. When they learned how to do this, and they
got out into the field, they would understand what it was like to go into an
empty bin.

Sounds like you needed more time in the shop stocking trucks.

Now, that does not go for every trade. Like the HVAC guys. They cannot be
expected to carry everything they need. They only need to carry the
essentials like an AmProbe, tick tracer, beer opener, and minimal tools.
Everything else requires a trip to the local supplier and 4 hours pay. A
GOOD HVAC guy carries only what will fit into a lawyer's brief case.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Grumpy" fired this volley in news:i7r4kl$l1r$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Perhaps some of you do not know difference going back to finish job

"Going back to finish job" means you were not equipped to do the job in the
first place.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Grumpy wrote:

Perhaps some of you do not know difference going back to finish job
or getting call back, now we are going on subject of warrantees

I had one call back in apx. 20 years, and the reason that I had that
because of manufacturing screwed up which I windup paying for it
That is also because I did not go by my own instinct but lessoning
to some else big mistake that will not happen again!!!

Sigh. What a load. A 'callback' on some of my jobs would require it
to be scheduled on one of NASA's launches to the ISS. A lot of the work
I've done was mission critical. There was no room for mistakes. Only
when working as a TV tech when I was still in high school were the
standards low enough to see the occasional callback. Of course, tube
TVs needed a lot more maintenance than modern electronics.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Grumpy" fired this volley in news:i7r3l9$h48$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

If I don't have all material require and I need to go back then
first trip would be 3 hours and second trip will be also min. 3 hours
unless it takes longer! Do you understand now!

Yep, I certainly do. If you are not properly equipped to fix the
problem, you charge extra for your incompetence.

Yeah... I got it. I got it from all the ALT.HVAC "pros" I've dealt with.

Honest businessmen don't work that way. If they are the reason for the
failure to perform, they suck it up.

No kidding. I've worked 20 hour days to get a job done on time, rather
than make return trips. My crew brought their lunch, and the only
breaks we took were for the restrooms. One firm rule was no smokers
were ever hired, since a lot of work was in schools.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Grumpy wrote:

Perhaps some of you do not know difference going back to finish job
or getting call back, now we are going on subject of warrantees

I had one call back in apx. 20 years, and the reason that I had that
because of manufacturing screwed up which I windup paying for it
That is also because I did not go by my own instinct but lessoning
to some else big mistake that will not happen again!!!

Sigh. What a load. A 'callback' on some of my jobs would require it
to be scheduled on one of NASA's launches to the ISS. A lot of the work
I've done was mission critical. There was no room for mistakes. Only
when working as a TV tech when I was still in high school were the
standards low enough to see the occasional callback. Of course, tube
TVs needed a lot more maintenance than modern electronics.

Being a perfectionist causes high blood pressure, hair loss and
resentment from those who can't differentiate their anus from an
excavation. Do it right, do it once is my philosophy. In HVAC
and refrigeration work, a little extra time can guarantee a no
leak situation. It never ceases to amaze me at what I find on
some of the service calls I go on where I was not the first to
fondle a pristine piece of equipment. 8-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-27, The Daring Dufas wrote:

some of the service calls I go on where I was not the first to
fondle a pristine piece of equipment. 8-)

If you're not the first, it can't be pristine.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

My experience with smokers has not been good. I prefer not to work
with them. Of course, my allergies help make that decision.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus