Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Default Refrigerator not working again!

jeff_wisnia wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, I can imagine that being easier to work on. One of my regular gas
and go customers has a walk in refrigerator. Naturally, it leaks at
the nut for the TXV. The folks who designed the cooler allowed about
two inches from the end of the evap to the wall. I get to tighten the
nut while standing on crates of soda pop, and balancing a miror,
wrench, minimag, and trying to not fall.

If the job was easy, anyone could do it! ;-)

I would have traded you jobs back in the '70s when I had to stand
inside TV transmitter in full operation to adjust the interstage
coupling. Nothing like standing on a 3 KV power supply with a fault
current in excess of 10KA while bending the wire loops with a piece of
nylon rod.

Easy, just keep your non-dominant hand in your back pocket. G

Actually, I had to use my left hand because of the tight quarters.
My good hand was behind me.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

jeff_wisnia wrote:

Didja ever think that maybe the other side was UNlocked already? G

Did you hear the one about the HVAC tech that locked his keys in his
car? His family was in it, but luckily the convertible top was down so
he could feed them until the locksmith arrived. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

wrote:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 15:24:05 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

One would
think that the building permit would list the equipment being installed,
and that information be available from the county. Hell, if they keep
track of the size of your septic tank and drain field, they should do
the same for the HVAC equipment for tax purposes.

Bwahahahaha ! ;-)

What pray tell 'tax' is there on AC equipment ?

It affects your property tax. Anyone except a HVAC lackey knows
that.

You're a tiresome pedantic little btich. Now **** off with
you.

YAwn... A lame little troll who can't spell. Stop crosposting to
RCM, if you don't want to see anything from here.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 9/28/2010 2:44 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Where was this? And what did they do with all that ordinance?

Like any other bomb squad, they destroy it by blowing it up.
I remember them finding live 40mm anti aircraft ammo while I
was there.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-27, The Daring Dufas wrote:

some of the service calls I go on where I was not the first to fondle a
pristine piece of equipment. 8-)

If you're not the first, it can't be pristine.

And if you fondle equipment, well....

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 9/28/2010 2:44 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Where was this? And what did they do with all that ordinance?

Like any other bomb squad, they destroy it by blowing it up.
I remember them finding live 40mm anti aircraft ammo while I
was there.

If they were rednecks, they would burn their lips trying to blow it
up. ;-)

A school in Orlando was built over an old Naval training range, along
with about 1000 new homes. Then they found out the developer didn't
have the area checked before he built them. The Army Corps of Engineers
has spent a lot of time with ground penetrating RADAR finding the old
ordinance, and digging up yards.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 15:04:50 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I've had people tell me, 'You're not my freind if I can't smoke in
your house.' I tell them goodbye, and don't bother to come back.

Yep. You've actually been told that? Geez, how rude. And
this from a smoker myself.

I repaired CB radios as a sideline to my commercial two way radio
business for a short time. It was idiots like that why I stopped. They
also wanted me to do illegal mods, but anyone who asked was shown the
door and told to leave.

I know walking into a place if they smoke or not, and if they
don't, I don't ( inside ). No need to ask anything.

The rosin smoke was bad enough but I grew up with parents who smoked,
and the odor makes me quite ill.

My parents were both Regular Army back in he 1940's when EVERYBODY
smoked. Because my dear mum chain smoked when preggers with me, I
went cold turkey at the age of one day. I cried and cried and they
said I had the colic but I was laying there screaming "GIVE ME A
GOD DAMN CIGARETTE!", of course nobody could understand me. I can't
hate them for smoking around me when I was a child because they knew
no better but I sure can resent it. There is no excuse for a pregnant
woman to smoke or partake of any recreational toxic substance today.
When I see a pregnant woman smoking, I have to resist the urge to
confront her and chastise her about it. I consider it a form of child
abuse but the Libertarian in me says leave her alone.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

wrote:

[...]

They even put two cigarettes in the rations back then. What I had in
basic and survival training was Korean war vintage and still came that
way. It was funny watching the nicotine addicts try to smoke tobacco
that was older than them. They would light up and get one puff before
the entire cigarette was gone.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 9/28/2010 2:44 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Where was this? And what did they do with all that ordinance?

Like any other bomb squad, they destroy it by blowing it up.
I remember them finding live 40mm anti aircraft ammo while I
was there.

If they were rednecks, they would burn their lips trying to blow it
up. ;-)

A school in Orlando was built over an old Naval training range, along
with about 1000 new homes. Then they found out the developer didn't
have the area checked before he built them. The Army Corps of Engineers
has spent a lot of time with ground penetrating RADAR finding the old
ordinance, and digging up yards.

Here's a link to where I was, I'd really like to go back there if
I could. My health would have to improve before I could even consider
traveling anywhere. Dang! I loved that place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwajalein_Atoll

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

wrote:

[...]

A late friend of mine paid the price for being a smoker of everything.
He developed emphysema and told me, "Never try to smoke a cigarette
when you're hooked to your oxygen machine, the cig only lasts about
one second." 8-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

A couple miles from me, is a day care. In a building formerly used by
Orkin pest control. I keep wondering if those kids will get mystery
cancers later in life. Someday I should stop by and talk to the
management, see if they were told.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 9/28/2010 2:44 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Where was this? And what did they do with all that ordinance?

Like any other bomb squad, they destroy it by blowing it up.
I remember them finding live 40mm anti aircraft ammo while I
was there.

If they were rednecks, they would burn their lips trying to blow it
up. ;-)

A school in Orlando was built over an old Naval training range,
along
with about 1000 new homes. Then they found out the developer didn't
have the area checked before he built them. The Army Corps of
Engineers
has spent a lot of time with ground penetrating RADAR finding the old
ordinance, and digging up yards.

--
Politicians should only get paid if the budget is balanced, and there
is

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Let me guess. You are nearsighted, have allergies, athsma, and you are
a picky eater?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

My parents were both Regular Army back in he 1940's when EVERYBODY
smoked. Because my dear mum chain smoked when preggers with me, I
went cold turkey at the age of one day. I cried and cried and they
said I had the colic but I was laying there screaming "GIVE ME A
GOD DAMN CIGARETTE!", of course nobody could understand me. I can't
hate them for smoking around me when I was a child because they knew
no better but I sure can resent it. There is no excuse for a pregnant
woman to smoke or partake of any recreational toxic substance today.
When I see a pregnant woman smoking, I have to resist the urge to
confront her and chastise her about it. I consider it a form of child
abuse but the Libertarian in me says leave her alone.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in messagenews:0vWdnbxbXdP34j_RnZ2dnUVZ_rGdnZ2d@earth link.com...

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

WHAT DO YOU WANT A HANKY?

WILL YOU TWOB GET BACK ON TOPIC OR BLOW IT OUT YOUR NOSE AND GET BACK
TO WORK.
I DO NOT WANT TO COME HERE AND READ ABOUB YOUR GLORIOUS GRIM WAR
STORIES.
GET IT ON SOME WAR STORIES/HEROES GROUP
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FRIDGE HAPPENS

THE MANAGEMENT
R.ROENTGEN
[SORRY CAP-LOCK STUCK AGAIN,DON'T KNOW WHY] ;/
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

jeff_wisnia fired this volley in
:

Easy, just keep your non-dominant hand in your back pocket. G

Jeff

It's easier to just stand on one leg, Jeff.

A guy had an apprentice. The guy had shown the apprentice over and over
that when you're working on 440 or above, he'd stand on one leg, do the
switch-overs/etc., then go back to both legs.

One day, the guy was sick enough to have to spend a day in the hospital.
The Apprentice took the job due on that day; and he ended up in the same
hospital about noon on the day of the job, from a shock injury.

The guy heard about it, and visited his apprentice, who recounted the
scenario. He said, "I stood on one leg, just like you showed me!".

The guy says, "Damn, son! Don't you know I have a wooden leg?!"

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

One of my Dad's friends had two wooden legs. He was in world war II,
and crashed a plane. Lost both legs below the knee. He told me one
time how he went to pull a bulb out of a socket (bulb broken, still
energized). Grabs it with pliers, and yells and throws the pliers
across the room. Guess the wooden legs didn't help much.

Some woman yelled at him, he was parked in a handicap spot. He asks if
she thought a wooden leg was a handicap. She agreed it was. "I got two
of them, so there!" was his reply.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

. 3.70...

It's easier to just stand on one leg, Jeff.

A guy had an apprentice. The guy had shown the apprentice over and
over
that when you're working on 440 or above, he'd stand on one leg, do
the
switch-overs/etc., then go back to both legs.

One day, the guy was sick enough to have to spend a day in the
hospital.
The Apprentice took the job due on that day; and he ended up in the
same
hospital about noon on the day of the job, from a shock injury.

The guy heard about it, and visited his apprentice, who recounted the
scenario. He said, "I stood on one leg, just like you showed me!".

The guy says, "Damn, son! Don't you know I have a wooden leg?!"

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Isn't it amazing, after all, that _one_ RCM'er posts a request to his
peers for advice on an aging fridge, and the alt.hvac folks think they
MUST require him to receive "professional service" on his no-longer-
necessary refrigerator?

It's not, really; considering that they want a "piece" of every
refrigeration job out there, even if their services are not only not
needed, but certainly not WANTED. They want their government-guaranteed
"slice of the pie", and you're damned if you don't use them.

IG... not for nothin', but you need to remove that alt.hvac from your
newsgroups posting list (not like I did _not_ this time G). They're
thieves, liars, and incompetents. And... FWIW... they RULE the industry,
in all their malfeasant glory. The gov'mInt makes it so! Long live the
EPA!

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Steve wrote the following:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Maybe, if the company is run by idiots. We had a fleet of trucks,
equipped for different brands

HVAC don't work like that. You don't schedule your work by
'what brands of equipment are waiting for service'.

That's one of the reasons the work is so inefficient. One would
think that the building permit would list the equipment being installed,
and that information be available from the county. Hell, if they keep
track of the size of your septic tank and drain field, they should do
the same for the HVAC equipment for tax purposes.

I don't know what country your living in, but in these parts, unless your
inside the city limits of a major city, there is no code enforcement, and
most small towns don't want to even take your money for a permit unless you
had to shut off power to the building..... and then the inspector job is a
brother-in-law thing.

I don't know what country you're living in, but where I live (see sig) I
can't do anything without a building permit, having a building inspector
approving it and making visits to see that the ordinance has been
followed before a CO (Certificate of Occupancy) is issued.
The CO applies to buildings, sheds, fences, and electrical work, among
other things.
Sure, you can skirt these issues, but it will all come back to haunt you
if you try to sell the property.
Property cannot be transferred without a CO covering everything done to
the house since the original house plans were submitted for approval.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 9/28/2010 8:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Let me guess. You are nearsighted, have allergies, athsma, and you are
a picky eater?

I'm nearsighted, the only thing that really bothers me is tobacco smoke
and perhaps tree sperm in the Spring. I'm not a picky eater except for
the fact that I run screaming from hot peppers. I would starve in one
of those Mexican prisons. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Sep 28, 10:35*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Isn't it amazing, after all, that _one_ RCM'er posts a request to his
peers for advice on an aging fridge, and the alt.hvac folks think they
MUST require him to receive "professional service" on his no-longer-
necessary refrigerator?

It's not, really; considering that they want a "piece" of every
refrigeration job out there, even if their services are not only not
needed, but certainly not WANTED. *They want their government-guaranteed
"slice of the pie", and you're damned if you don't use them.

IG... not for nothin', but you need to remove that alt.hvac from your
newsgroups posting list (not like I did _not_ this time G). *They're
thieves, liars, and incompetents. *And... FWIW... they RULE the industry,
in all their malfeasant glory. *The gov'mInt makes it so! *Long live the
EPA!

LLoyd

Yeah, who else would fill a psrking with broken ice boxes and such.,
to recycle them?

Back upstairs., I guess if daddy would have used his fingers around
the edge of the the broken bulb without a plier to short the contacts
his prosthetics would have protected him.
I'd Frame the pliers if he quit because of thst one little short;/
R.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Sep 28, 11:33*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 9/28/2010 8:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Let me guess. You are nearsighted, have allergies, athsma, and you are
a picky eater?

I'm nearsighted, the only thing that really bothers me is tobacco smoke
and perhaps tree sperm in the Spring. I'm not a picky eater except for
the fact that I run screaming from hot peppers. I would starve in one
of those Mexican prisons. 8-)

TDD

Just don't ever go there;/
R.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 9/28/2010 11:56 PM, Randy wrote:
On Sep 28, 11:33 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 9/28/2010 8:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Let me guess. You are nearsighted, have allergies, athsma, and you are
a picky eater?

I'm nearsighted, the only thing that really bothers me is tobacco smoke
and perhaps tree sperm in the Spring. I'm not a picky eater except for
the fact that I run screaming from hot peppers. I would starve in one
of those Mexican prisons. 8-)

TDD

Just don't ever go there;/
R.

I lived there for a short time and the food was good. Not everything
is flaming hot in the REAL Mexican restaurants. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

willshak fired this volley in
:

I don't know what country you're living in, but where I live (see sig)

can't do anything without a building permit, having a building

inspector
approving it and making visits to see that the ordinance has been
followed before a CO (Certificate of Occupancy) is issued.

He must be living in the high parts of the Ozarks.

Around here, they've even begun "Google Earth" enforcement of
construction permits. If their differential comparisons of different
years' satellite photos show any buildings for which permits were not
pulled, they tax you back to the date of the last photos NOT showing the
construction, start fining you for violations on the day they discover
it, make you abandon use of the structure, and go through the whole
process (including even tearing down anything that hides construction
details, like drywall, roofing...). They don't stop fining you daily
until you've passed for a CO on the building. They make sure that takes
at least twice as long as it should. AND, should there be any reason why
a permit would not normally be issued for the construction - like
easement encroachment, elevation issues, etc. - they make you tear it
down.

We're in a really depressed, backward rural community. I can only
imagine how it would be in an area where zoning people treat these issues
as a form high entertainment.

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Sep 28, 9:58*pm, willshak wrote:
Steve wrote the following:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
om...

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

NY US

but where I live (see sig) I
can't do anything without a building permit, having a building inspector
approving it and making visits to see that the ordinance has been
followed before a CO (Certificate of Occupancy) is issued.

I didn't realize that Orange County was run by the unions, too.

The CO applies to buildings, sheds, fences, and electrical work, among
other things.

You do realize that Orange County is not the whole country?

Sure, you can skirt these issues, but it will all come back to haunt you
if you try to sell the property.
Property cannot be transferred without a CO covering everything done to
the house since the original house plans were submitted for approval.

Local government's full employment policies at work.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Sep 29, 6:40*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
willshak fired this volley :

[...]

You sound like you enjoy living in Nazi Germany.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

keith fired this volley in news:00e7a73a-9e67-400e-
:

You sound like you enjoy living in Nazi Germany.

Not at all, and the county people know I (and we, collectively) do not
appreciate their heavy hands. We have a cadre of about 60 people who
faithfully attend council meetings just to keep an eye on the *******s.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Sep 29, 2:24*pm, "Grumpy" wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in ...

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:54:09 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Grumpy wrote:

Perhaps some of you do not know difference going back to finish job
or getting call back, now we are going on subject of warrantees

I had one call back in apx. 20 years, and the reason that I had that
because of manufacturing screwed up which I windup paying for it
That is also because I did not go by my own instinct but lessoning
to some else big mistake that will not happen again!!!

* Sigh. *What a load. *A 'callback' on some of my jobs would require it
to be scheduled on one of NASA's launches to the ISS. *A lot of the work
I've done was mission critical. *There was no room for mistakes. *Only
when working as a TV tech when I was still in high school were the
standards low enough to see the occasional callback. *Of course, tube
TVs needed a lot more maintenance than modern electronics.

Yes NASA with critical work components and yes you have to know what
are you doing it is true. But it is also true that material you use is been
deliver to you in dust proof bags sealed out moisture and handled with white
gloves,
needless to say material has been inspected and tested perhaps dozen times
before you get to use it.
Environmentally tested with temperature, humidity and vacuum in Equipment
that I work on and support major manufactures' that they product in
excellent
condition before it gets to you. Sigh, Sigh, Sigh

* * * * So - the supply house carries maybe 10,000 items in stock.
They have maybe another 40,000 or 100,000 they can order. *You want
the HVAC guy should carry one of each on his truck ?

* Sigh. *What a moron. *How hard is it to ask what brand you will be
servicing, or even better, you keep records of what eqyuiipment each
customer owns? *I carred close to 10,000 parts in my service truck for
electronics. I rarely ever took anything back to the shop, except when
some 'bucther' (a so-called tech that uses a meat cleaver to take things
apart) had really screwed it up.

Mr. Terell: You know there are bull ****ters and there is bull ****ter
and you definitely have been certified in to that.
It would be useless cause for me to continue with such caliber
and perfection in ethical dedication to man kind!
"Stop giving the people crap we know better"

* * * * A quick check at some random parts site

http://americanhvacparts.com/Merchan...een=CTGY&Categ....

Shows 24 TEV's for just one manufacturer. *They are not
interchangeable. *They list 29 other manufacturers with TEV's as well.

* And you never have a clue what you are going to work on?

You figure the HVAC guy should carry 700 TEV's on his truck ? *And
that's just one part among hundreds that are common.

Now try doing the work outside, at night, in the rain, or in a
blizzard, or in the blazing sun on a 98 degree humid day. *Try having
to go up and down a 32 foot ladder and then walk ~ 1/4 mile across a
white roof in the sun to get to the unit. *And back again for each
tool or part you need.

* try working outside at -40

If you happen to need a 50 lb tank of gas, or a 30 lb torch, or a 20
lb vacumn up there - get to humpin' it. *Then bring it all down again.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:

A couple miles from me, is a day care. In a building formerly used by
Orkin pest control. I keep wondering if those kids will get mystery
cancers later in life. Someday I should stop by and talk to the
management, see if they were told.

You can check the EPA database and see the status of some buldings,
and the last EPA permit for that location.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

So, it's true that HVAC types don't undersnad kill filters. Anyone
with 1/20 of a brain can filter out crossposts to any group they don't
like.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Grumpy wrote:

Yes NASA with critical work components and yes you have to know what
are you doing it is true. But it is also true that material you use is been
deliver to you in dust proof bags sealed out moisture and handled with white
gloves,
needless to say material has been inspected and tested perhaps dozen times
before you get to use it.
Environmentally tested with temperature, humidity and vacuum in Equipment
that I work on and support major manufactures' that they product in
excellent
condition before it gets to you. Sigh, Sigh, Sigh

Sigh, indeed. They are opened at incoming inspection, then
repacked. Boards that with hand placed surface mount parts are backed
in a pre reflow oven to drive out any moisture. If you don't, the epoxy
bodies can crack, crater or even decapsulate.

Mr. Terell: You know there are bull ****ters and there is bull ****ter
and you definitely have been certified in to that.

Yawn. Another self certified fool.

It would be useless cause for me to continue with such caliber
and perfection in ethical dedication to man kind!
"Stop giving the people crap we know better"

If you know better, why do you look like a fool? Name one brand of
reflow oven, what are the differences in paste solder, and explain how
you create a reflow profile. Tell us all the ways paste solder is
applied to a blank PC board, and the proper way to clean a board after
reflow.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Randy wrote:

Yes, please cut the bs. I wasn't aware my refrigerator was handled by
NASA personnel:/
I don't get butchers either, But they cut a mean salami lol.

Some do, some don't.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

http://americanhvacparts.com/Merchan...egory_Code=ele

Shows 24 TEV's for just one manufacturer. They are not
interchangeable. They list 29 other manufacturers with TEV's as well.

And you never have a clue what you are going to work on?

You figure the HVAC guy should carry 700 TEV's on his truck ? And
that's just one part among hundreds that are common.

Now try doing the work outside, at night, in the rain, or in a
blizzard, or in the blazing sun on a 98 degree humid day. Try having
to go up and down a 32 foot ladder and then walk ~ 1/4 mile across a
white roof in the sun to get to the unit. And back again for each
tool or part you need.

try working outside at -40

If you happen to need a 50 lb tank of gas, or a 30 lb torch, or a 20
lb vacumn up there - get to humpin' it. Then bring it all down again.

Try hauling ANY torch up a broadcast tower.

And you better get 4 or 5 calls done, minimum, on a slow day.

TV repairmen are wusses.

Yawn. Electronics repair takes real troubleshooting skills. All you
need are bull****ting skils.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

The Daring Dufas wrote:

A late friend of mine paid the price for being a smoker of everything.
He developed emphysema and told me, "Never try to smoke a cigarette
when you're hooked to your oxygen machine, the cig only lasts about
one second." 8-)

There are a lot of fires in hospital rooms and nursing homes caused
by that. They had to remove a neighbor from his home and put him under
supervised health care, because he kept ending up in the hospital
because he refused to quit. It's a wonder the place didn't burn down.
He always had a cigarette in one hand, and the oxygen mask in the other.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 19:08:18 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 17:45:23 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Some decades ago, I heard the same joke. But it was a steam locomotive,
and two taps for buck each. Knowing, $998.

A locksmith I knew. Got a rush call to open a car, guy had to be to the
airport. Having opened several of those, the locksmith knew which tool,
how far into the window, and in which direction to go. As he was
reaching into the car to recover the keys, the guy hollered. "Forty
bucks! I'm not going to pay you forty bucks... for.... THAT!!!"

Locksmith threw the keys back in, and started to walk off. After some
begging, the locksmith relented, and opened the car a second time. Now,
the bill is up to $80. Me, I am not that heartless.

I once had a girlfriend who had custody of a 16-year old kid, whose dad
bought him a brand-new pickup truck, as an abseentee parent bribe or
whatever. He locked his keys in it. We called a locksmith, who was an
off-duty cop, and went out to watch him pick the lock. The guy was
poking around and poking around, and we kind of got lost in
conversation; we had wanted to see him pick the lock. Well, after about
10 minutes of this, we were all thoroughly distracted, he said, "Well,
it doesn't seem to be working here - let me try the other side." Before
any of us clued up and thought to chase him to the other side of the
truck, he had the lock picked in about three seconds.

I was rather saddened that I didn't get to see how it was done. )-;

Didja ever think that maybe the other side was UNlocked already? G

If it were, don't you think we'd have checked before calling in a $60.00
house call? ;-)

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 19:18:24 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Didja ever think that maybe the other side was UNlocked already? G

Did you hear the one about the HVAC tech that locked his keys in his
car? His family was in it, but luckily the convertible top was down so he
could feed them until the locksmith arrived. ;-)

Not exactly, but your is better than the version I'd already heard. ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:27:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

One of my Dad's friends had two wooden legs. He was in world war II, and
crashed a plane. Lost both legs below the knee. He told me one time how he
went to pull a bulb out of a socket (bulb broken, still energized). Grabs
it with pliers, and yells and throws the pliers across the room. Guess the
wooden legs didn't help much.

Some woman yelled at him, he was parked in a handicap spot. He asks if she
thought a wooden leg was a handicap. She agreed it was. "I got two of
them, so there!" was his reply.

I was once out with a little social group, and one of the members, Lisa,
Ken's wife, had osteoporosis imperfecta - she was about 2 1/2' tall,
with essentially nonfuctional legs. She had hand control on her car,
and used an electric wheelchair except sometimes she'd get a lift
(literally) from her hubby Ken - he could carry her like a baby. Well,
we were having dinner once (this is a group of about 8 or 10 people),
and somehow or another, I came out with "Hire the handicapped - they're
fun to watch."

Lisa quipped, "Yeah, we are."

The table kind of went silent - what a gaffe I had just committed! But
I pulled it out - "What? Lisa? You're a *handicap*??? Sorry, I thought
you were just really, really short."

Good feelings ensued. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:35:41 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Isn't it amazing, after all, that _one_ RCM'er posts a request to his
peers for advice on an aging fridge, and the alt.hvac folks think they
MUST require him to receive "professional service" on his no-longer-
necessary refrigerator?

It's not, really; considering that they want a "piece" of every
refrigeration job out there, even if their services are not only not
needed, but certainly not WANTED. They want their government-guaranteed
"slice of the pie", and you're damned if you don't use them.

IG... not for nothin', but you need to remove that alt.hvac from your
newsgroups posting list (not like I did _not_ this time G). They're
thieves, liars, and incompetents. And... FWIW... they RULE the industry,
in all their malfeasant glory. The gov'mInt makes it so! Long live the
EPA!

I looked in there once and it sounded like a convention of the most
arrogant self-righteous assholes I've ever met.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

The People's Republic of New York?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

That's pretty well said. We need an acronym. MAS-RA?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
I looked in there once and it sounded like a convention of the most
arrogant self-righteous assholes I've ever met.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

Who, in their right mind tries to pick the lock on a car or truck
door?

A Slim Jim in experienced hands will open that door almost as fast as
you can open it with the key. Someone who has a foggy idea of what
needs to be done and NO experince can usually do it in about 10 or 15
minutes with a Slim Jim.

Lock picking itself is really not that mysterious. I do it as a hobby.
I buy locks at tag sales and dollar stores to fool around with.
Surprisingly, cheap, non-precision locks that do not operate smoothly
with a key can be among the hardest to pick.

I make all my own tools using stainless steel strips cut from large
hose clamp bands.

Most cars and trucks sold in last decade or so have slim-jim guards in
the doors, so you can't get a shot at the lock rods. They did that same
time they went to those damn chipped ignition keys. Insurance company
pressure, and it has cut down on theft of locked vehicles.

--
aem sends...