Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Default Refrigerator not working again

If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

The compressor unit in it would keep trying to start and would be
unable to start, tripping an overload relay.

After some "time off" to let the system cool, the fridge started just
fine. I also replaced a capacitor and relay (which was very cheap and
possibly not needed) and thought that I was done.

However, since yesterday it started having trouble again. Letting it
cool down for a couple of hours would get it started, only to find it
unable to restart a few hours later.

What could be the culprit here? Unlike last time, there is no
emergency, as we have less food and all our food easily fits in
another fridge.

The refrigerator is a Kenmore made by Amana with fancy electronic
front control.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:18:40 -0500, Ignoramus25344 wrote:

If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

The compressor unit in it would keep trying to start and would be unable
to start, tripping an overload relay.

After some "time off" to let the system cool, the fridge started just
fine. I also replaced a capacitor and relay (which was very cheap and
possibly not needed) and thought that I was done.

However, since yesterday it started having trouble again. Letting it
cool down for a couple of hours would get it started, only to find it
unable to restart a few hours later.

What could be the culprit here? Unlike last time, there is no emergency,
as we have less food and all our food easily fits in another fridge.

The refrigerator is a Kenmore made by Amana with fancy electronic front
control.

Call a ****ing professional service tech you nut-job.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Mike Hocksbigg wrote:
[...]

Wound pretty tight today aren't we?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Sep 21, 4:18*pm, Ignoramus25344 ignoramus25...@NOSPAM.
25344.invalid wrote:
If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

The compressor unit in it would keep trying to start and would be
unable to start, tripping an overload relay.

After some "time off" to let the system cool, the fridge started just
fine. I also replaced a capacitor and relay (which was very cheap and
possibly not needed) and thought that I was done.

However, since yesterday it started having trouble again. Letting it
cool down for a couple of hours would get it started, only to find it
unable to restart a few hours later.

What could be the culprit here? Unlike last time, there is no
emergency, as we have less food and all our food easily fits in
another fridge.

The refrigerator is a Kenmore made by Amana with fancy electronic
front control.

Just guessing, again, but this sounds like the pressure is not
bleeding off, for whatever reason. It's hard to imagine seals that
would hold pressure for hours, but I suppose it's possible. Or, maybe
there's some contamination somewhere - water, perhaps, that's freezing
in a low spot in a line?

Wait a minute - I just reread your post - Am I right that it does
restart if you let it sit a couple of hours? What if you let it sit a
few (maybe 5) minutes? Wait till the compressor is running, then
unplug it after a couple of minutes. Then wait five minutes and plug
it back in. Does it restart then? If so, there's something wrong with
the control circuitry. It should not, under normal circumstances, be
trying to start against a load. There should be enough hysterisis in
the thermostat, or some sort of lock-out timer to prevent rapid
cycling.

Do you maybe have an air leak - lik in the door gasket? I could see
how that would cause rapid cycling.

RS

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

[...]

You're already wasted more time and money that a housecall and
diagnosis would have cost. You can't quit now. Replace the
compressor. Then the evaporator. Then rip out all the plumbing and
replace that too. Replace the control unit too while you're at it.
Don't forget to replace the outlet, inside house wiring, and the
utility power pole.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

Keep your day job AZ. You aren't going to make it as a comic.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

wrote:

[...]

I thought it was funny. I give it 5 stars.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Ignoramus25344" wrote in message
If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

The compressor unit in it would keep trying to start and would be
unable to start, tripping an overload relay.

After some "time off" to let the system cool, the fridge started just
fine. I also replaced a capacitor and relay (which was very cheap and
possibly not needed) and thought that I was done.

However, since yesterday it started having trouble again. Letting it
cool down for a couple of hours would get it started, only to find it
unable to restart a few hours later.

What could be the culprit here? Unlike last time, there is no
emergency, as we have less food and all our food easily fits in
another fridge.

The refrigerator is a Kenmore made by Amana with fancy electronic
front control.

Look dude.... Just ****can the thing and buy another one.

And PLEASE just shut the **** up.

Have a nice day! :-)

--
None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in
here with you....You're locked in here with ME!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-21, HVAC wrote:

[...]

Just curious why are you so ****y, a slow day? Customers not calling?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Ignoramus25344" wrote in message
If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

And a month ago I said...

Get a refrigerator thermometer (kitchen stuff department of stores), then
keep an eye on the temperature.

If there was a lot of water which came out from having it off while you
fixed it, and this happens again in a month or so, suspect the
defrost/heater/timer.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Ignoramus25344" wrote in message

Look dude.... Just ****can the thing and buy another one.

And PLEASE just shut the **** up.

Have a nice day! :-)

Just curious why are you so ****y,

****y? This is me being NICE.

a slow day? Customers not calling?

I've never been so busy. Seriously.

I do commercial only and all I can say
is WHAT recession?

--
Every Time You See a Rainbow, God is Having Gay Sex

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-21, Bill wrote:
"Ignoramus25344" wrote in message
If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

And a month ago I said...

Get a refrigerator thermometer (kitchen stuff department of stores), then
keep an eye on the temperature.

If there was a lot of water which came out from having it off while you
fixed it, and this happens again in a th or so, suspect the
defrost/heater/timer.

\

Thanks

As a matter of fact, there was not much water (none that I could see)
that came out.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

25344.invalid wrote:
[...]

I mentioned a month ago the dumb**** probably had ice build up inside the
cap tube or possibly if equipped the TEV. You might ask where the
moisture comes from in a sealed system. Not knowing the service history
of this unit I could not tell you if it actually has ice build up or if
the system had been worked on prior to dumb**** purchasing it used. But
it sure displays the proper symptoms to be a distinct possibility

'Scuse me, but Igor is hardly a "dumb****." He can afford to pay
professionals, but likes to do things himself, and isn't embarassed
about asking for help. There's a lot to be learned from his approach
to these things.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-21, HVAC wrote:

"Ignoramus25344" wrote in message

Look dude.... Just ****can the thing and buy another one.

And PLEASE just shut the **** up.

Have a nice day! :-)

Just curious why are you so ****y,

****y? This is me being NICE.

a slow day? Customers not calling?

I've never been so busy. Seriously.

I do commercial only and all I can say
is WHAT recession?

So, say, what would you say if you were in a nasty mood?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Sep 21, 3:18*pm, Ignoramus25344 ignoramus25...@NOSPAM.
25344.invalid wrote:
If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

The compressor unit in it would keep trying to start and would be
unable to start, tripping an overload relay.

After some "time off" to let the system cool, the fridge started just
fine. I also replaced a capacitor and relay (which was very cheap and
possibly not needed) and thought that I was done.

However, since yesterday it started having trouble again. Letting it
cool down for a couple of hours would get it started, only to find it
unable to restart a few hours later.

What could be the culprit here? Unlike last time, there is no
emergency, as we have less food and all our food easily fits in
another fridge.

The refrigerator is a Kenmore made by Amana with fancy electronic
front control.

Friday in Illinois the tax rebate is on again for one day, and I think
Best Buy is giving another 15% off, thats 30% off, you would be a fool
not to get a new frige, or get a repairman and fix that dying horse.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Ignoramus25344" wrote in message

****y? This is me being NICE.

a slow day? Customers not calling?

I've never been so busy. Seriously.

I do commercial only and all I can say
is WHAT recession?

So, say, what would you say if you were in a nasty mood?

I'm always in a good mood.

Now **** off, asshole.

--
"I'll stick my knife right down your throat, baby and it hurts."

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-21, Bill wrote:
"Ignoramus25344" wrote in message
If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

And a month ago I said...

Get a refrigerator thermometer (kitchen stuff department of stores), then
keep an eye on the temperature.

If there was a lot of water which came out from having it off while you
fixed it, and this happens again in a th or so, suspect the
defrost/heater/timer.

\

Thanks

As a matter of fact, there was not much water (none that I could see)
that came out.

To test this theory, put all your food in ice chests and turn off the fridge
for 24 hours with the door open. Then start it back up and see if it works
for another month.

There are also pans in the bottom of fridges to catch water. See if that is
full after 24 hours.

If it is "frost free", these have a timer which shuts off the compressor,
then turns on a heating element on the freezer coils. This defrosts the
freezer portion every so often..

The timer or the heating element can stop working.

You may be able to remove a panel in the freezer portion and see the coils
if they are hidden. If you see a big block of ice, then that is the problem.
Air can not be circulated into the refrigerator if ice is blocking the air
flow.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 09/21/2010 03:18 PM, Ignoramus25344 wrote:
If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

The compressor unit in it would keep trying to start and would be
unable to start, tripping an overload relay.

After some "time off" to let the system cool, the fridge started just
fine. I also replaced a capacitor and relay (which was very cheap and
possibly not needed) and thought that I was done.

However, since yesterday it started having trouble again. Letting it
cool down for a couple of hours would get it started, only to find it
unable to restart a few hours later.

What could be the culprit here? Unlike last time, there is no
emergency, as we have less food and all our food easily fits in
another fridge.

Yeah, I thought this might happen!

Well, this thermistor capacitor start scheme sounds pretty crummy to me.
If the power gets a short glitch, even a couple cycles of the line, that
may allow the compressor to nearly stop when there is high pressure in
the condenser side. Then, power comes back and the thermistor is hot,
so it doesn't restart. There is a thing called a "sinpac" switch,
currently manufactured by Stearns. It uses a voltage sensing chip and
a triac to control the start winding. It is made as a replacement for
shot centrifugal switches, but is also great on motors where such a
switch can't be used, like refrigerator compressors. At least through
the channels I got one a while ago, they are expensive, but I'll bet a
refrigeration shop will carry them much cheaper.

There are also electronic modules, often used in the heating/cooling
trade, to prevent "short-cycling". They are just wired in series with
a motor, and will shut it off for some number of minutes whenever there
is a power interruption.

Of course, you may just have a defective compressor, and it is slowly
seizing up, and will eventually lock up for good.

I converted a central air conditioning system from capillary tube to
expansion valve some years ago, and had problems with the compressor
failing to start. I installed a "hard start kit" from my friendly local
A/C supply shop. This was a potential relay and a BIG starting cap.
It augments the run cap when starting, and greatly increases starting
torque. It solved the problem. I don't know if this is the kind of
problem this unit is having, and you might have to instrument it to find
out what the cause is. It could be a bad compressor, it could be a
bad starting system design, it could be a program problem in the
computerized controller that is occasionally trying to stop and restart
the compressor too quickly, it could be a mechanical timer on the
defrost that has that same effect, or it could even be low line voltage
or a worn-out wall socket making poor contact.

The friendly local A/C supplier isn't so friendly anymore, I have to
show them my EPA "green card" to get them to sell anything to me.
The trade prices on stuff just blows me away. I needed a run cap for
our current A/C unit a couple years ago, showed them my green card, and
got a HUGE run cap for about $7.50. I walked in there expecting to pay
$50 for it.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

[...]

My life experience (62 years so far) is that when refrigerators start acting
up, unless it's a fix that costs less than $50, it is cheaper to dump it and
get another. In today's market, nice fridges are cheap. About as much as a
compressor job, and the compressor repair man has a warranty that is good
until he's out of sight.

Just me.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Wouldn't he call a refrigeration professional, instead?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mike Hocksbigg" wrote in message
news

Call a ****ing professional service tech you nut-job.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

I filtered ignor-anus a while back. Can't remember why. Crude
language, being a general PIA, somethng like that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mike Hocksbigg" wrote in message
news
Call a ****ing professional service tech you nut-job.

Wound pretty tight today aren't we?

Yep.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Ignoramus25344 wrote:
If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

The compressor unit in it would keep trying to start and would be
unable to start, tripping an overload relay.

After some "time off" to let the system cool, the fridge started just
fine. I also replaced a capacitor and relay (which was very cheap and
possibly not needed) and thought that I was done.

However, since yesterday it started having trouble again. Letting it
cool down for a couple of hours would get it started, only to find it
unable to restart a few hours later.

What could be the culprit here? Unlike last time, there is no
emergency, as we have less food and all our food easily fits in
another fridge.

The refrigerator is a Kenmore made by Amana with fancy electronic
front control.

Your motor has lack of lubrication and is seizing up. Since it's in a
sealed can you can't fix it. Putting lubrication in the coolant could
help but you can't do that either without unsoldering connections and
capturing the coolant and could cost more to fix than to throw out and
buy a new one.

--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:53:45 -0400, "HVAC" wrote:

"Ignoramus25344" wrote in message
m...

Look dude.... Just ****can the thing and buy another one.

And PLEASE just shut the **** up.

Have a nice day! :-)

Just curious why are you so ****y,

****y? This is me being NICE.

Then you are normally a dick?

a slow day? Customers not calling?

I've never been so busy. Seriously.

I do commercial only and all I can say
is WHAT recession?

So you do lots of work for mascochists?

Or are you simply a prick to those that dont hire you?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley
in :

Wouldn't he call a refrigeration professional, instead?

They're pretty scarce. He might be better with an F-ing professional,
instead.

We had a "refrigeration professional" out to the factory a three months
ago to replace an A/C compressor under warrantee.

Long story short... I had to do (actually completely UN-do, clean the
work, and RE-do) the brazing for him. He couldn't lick all the leaks.

To his defense, it was a BAD position in which to work, he was a short
little sucker, the unit was tall, and it was a tiny, tight workspace
inside the coil of that unit. But damn... I'm just a pyrotechnics guy,
and _I_ was able to Sil-Flo that thing down tight in one try.

So much for "refrigeration professionals".

Yeah... I know there are some. I learned to braze from one. But this
guy's was the sort of skills I see all the time over in alt.hvac. And
they SCREAM about how they're the only ones competent to work on systems.

Hell... half of them can't figure out which way is "up" for liquid feed
with R410a. (or why),(and it's printed on the bottle)

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

jeff_wisnia fired this volley in
:

Keep your day job AZ. You aren't going to make it as a comic.

He better try the comic thing... he can't make it as a refrigeration
professional no matter how hard he tries.

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Ignoramus25344 fired this volley in
:

Just curious why are you so ****y, a slow day? Customers not calling?

no... he's a "refrigeration professional", and doesn't want anyone to
figure out the four or five pages of knowlege that constitutes his
"professional advantage" over ordinary laymen.

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

wrote:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:44:56 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

WTF do YOU shop ? The ****ing things cost what a CAR used to
cost. New.

Yet there is almost always a free on on Freecycle or Craigslist.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

Yet there is almost always a free on on Freecycle or Craigslist.

I keep my "beer fridge" out in a roofed but not enclosed part of the barn.
It rusts out completely in about four to five years. So, I replace it with
another $50-$75 unit off the various lists and/or swap sheets. $20 a year
isn't too much to pay for a working fridge.

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 20:54:31 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
jeff_wisnia fired this volley in
:

Keep your day job AZ. You aren't going to make it as a comic.

He better try the comic thing... he can't make it as a refrigeration
professional no matter how hard he tries.

I know enough not to employ the shotgun approach. However if you think
****ing away ten times the cost of having a pro diagnose it correctly is
the way to go, then don't let anybody stop you.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

The refrigerator is a Kenmore made by Amana with fancy electronic
front control.

Its a freakin Kenmore.... call Sears and have a guy come out and fix it, or
you can quit screwing around and buy a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

Lloyd, I mostly am after trying to understand what is happening, right
now. I have a luxury of having plenty of time, due to having less food
at home that fits onto one fridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-22, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 20:54:31 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
jeff_wisnia fired this volley in
:

Keep your day job AZ. You aren't going to make it as a comic.

He better try the comic thing... he can't make it as a refrigeration
professional no matter how hard he tries.

I know enough not to employ the shotgun approach. However if you think
****ing away ten times the cost of having a pro diagnose it correctly is
the way to go, then don't let anybody stop you.

The advantage that comes from DIY approach is that besides fixing the
fridge, I learn something.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Bill" wrote in message

To test this theory, put all your food in ice chests and turn off the fridge
for 24 hours with the door open. Then start it back up and see if it works
for another month.

There are also pans in the bottom of fridges to catch water. See if that is
full after 24 hours.

If it is "frost free", these have a timer which shuts off the compressor,
then turns on a heating element on the freezer coils. This defrosts the
freezer portion every so often..

The timer or the heating element can stop working.

You may be able to remove a panel in the freezer portion and see the coils
if they are hidden. If you see a big block of ice, then that is the problem.
Air can not be circulated into the refrigerator if ice is blocking the air
flow.

If icing is the problem there is also a thermostat in series with the heating
element. If that is bad the heater will not function. BTDT.
Art

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus25344 fired this volley in
:

Just curious why are you so ****y, a slow day? Customers not calling?

no... he's a "refrigeration professional", and doesn't want anyone to
figure out the four or five pages of knowlege that constitutes his
"professional advantage" over ordinary laymen.

Does that refrigeration knowledge amount to so little? Any textbook
you would recommend?

I cannot believe that, after fixing and retrofitting my Bridgeport
Interact CNC mill, I cannot ever properly diagnose a bad Sears
refrigerator. I started knowing nothing about CNC mills and now,
thanks to all the great help I got, I have a working CNC machine.

Maybe I can fix the fridge too.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

AZ Nomad fired this volley in
:

I know enough not to employ the shotgun approach. However if you think
****ing away ten times the cost of having a pro diagnose it correctly is
the way to go, then don't let anybody stop you.

Ig is a smart guy. He can learn enough to save him ten times over what it
would cost, just by fiddling around with a unit that isn't critical to him
anyway.

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

Yet there is almost always a free on on Freecycle or Craigslist.

I keep my "beer fridge" out in a roofed but not enclosed part of the barn.
It rusts out completely in about four to five years. So, I replace it with
another $50-$75 unit off the various lists and/or swap sheets. $20 a year
isn't too much to pay for a working fridge.

I haven't bought a fridge in the last 25 years. In fact, I just
picked up a free apartment or dorm sized fridge over the weekend that
looks brand new. I've never bought a new microwave oven, and the most
I've ever paid was $2. I have four at the moment, and I'm deciding
which ones I'll keep. I've only bought two new televisions in the last
40 years. Most everything else is picked up not working and repaired.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-22, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 20:54:31 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
jeff_wisnia fired this volley in
:

Keep your day job AZ. You aren't going to make it as a comic.

He better try the comic thing... he can't make it as a refrigeration
professional no matter how hard he tries.

I know enough not to employ the shotgun approach. However if you think
****ing away ten times the cost of having a pro diagnose it correctly is
the way to go, then don't let anybody stop you.

The advantage that comes from DIY approach is that besides fixing the
fridge, I learn something.

For some things, it just isn't economical. The shotgun approach --
replacing parts without reason is never economical.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 21:56:03 -0500, Steve wrote:

The refrigerator is a Kenmore made by Amana with fancy electronic
front control.

Its a freakin Kenmore.... call Sears and have a guy come out and fix it, or
you can quit screwing around and buy a new one.

His time isn't worth anything. He'd rather be the first person on the
block with a fridge that cost him five grand than pay $200 for labor.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 22:26:25 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
AZ Nomad fired this volley in
:

I know enough not to employ the shotgun approach. However if you think
****ing away ten times the cost of having a pro diagnose it correctly is
the way to go, then don't let anybody stop you.

Ig is a smart guy. He can learn enough to save him ten times over what it
would cost, just by fiddling around with a unit that isn't critical to him
anyway.

You need more than a fiddle to perform refrigeration repair.