Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Refrigerator not working again

On Sep 21, 4:18*pm, Ignoramus25344 ignoramus25...@NOSPAM.
25344.invalid wrote:
If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

The compressor unit in it would keep trying to start and would be
unable to start, tripping an overload relay.

After some "time off" to let the system cool, the fridge started just
fine. I also replaced a capacitor and relay (which was very cheap and
possibly not needed) and thought that I was done.

However, since yesterday it started having trouble again. Letting it
cool down for a couple of hours would get it started, only to find it
unable to restart a few hours later.

What could be the culprit here? Unlike last time, there is no
emergency, as we have less food and all our food easily fits in
another fridge.

The refrigerator is a Kenmore made by Amana with fancy electronic
front control.

Just guessing, again, but this sounds like the pressure is not
bleeding off, for whatever reason. It's hard to imagine seals that
would hold pressure for hours, but I suppose it's possible. Or, maybe
there's some contamination somewhere - water, perhaps, that's freezing
in a low spot in a line?

Wait a minute - I just reread your post - Am I right that it does
restart if you let it sit a couple of hours? What if you let it sit a
few (maybe 5) minutes? Wait till the compressor is running, then
unplug it after a couple of minutes. Then wait five minutes and plug
it back in. Does it restart then? If so, there's something wrong with
the control circuitry. It should not, under normal circumstances, be
trying to start against a load. There should be enough hysterisis in
the thermostat, or some sort of lock-out timer to prevent rapid
cycling.

Do you maybe have an air leak - lik in the door gasket? I could see
how that would cause rapid cycling.

RS