Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Default Refrigerator not working again

Might be you'd worked on larger ones. The several sub-zeros I've
serviced have been tin can compressors. Two -- one for fridge, and a
larger one for freezer. They have the usual problems with condensor
air flow, and one I worked on had a leaky evaporator.

Actually, I've worked on two Sup Zero which the customer chose to
replace. One had a failed compressor, the other had a leaky
evaporator.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I suppose I'm only familiar with the older Sub-Zero units. The
units I've fooled with, were built like commercial units with
semi-hermetic compressors on the top of the fridge.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

I was also wondering that, but glad you asked. I'm guessing that at
least some of the time, Lloyd's correct diagnosis is much different
than the tech from the yellow pages. I'm guessing Lloyd and the tech
disagree about 75% of the time.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

I don't repair anyone's equipment but my own. I will, however,
diagnose
friends' systems for them, so they don't get bilked by the repair
tech
when he finally shows up.

LLoyd

What % of the time would you estimate that happens?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

A few years ago our furnace was taken out by lightning strike. I was
able to diagnose which board failed and that helped me detect a part
swapping bull****ter tech who wanted to swap essentially everything. I
hired another one , who actually bothered to try to diagnose the
issue. This one is my only HVAC guy now.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 9/22/2010 6:52 AM, rangerssuck wrote:
On Sep 22, 1:31 am, "Steve wrote:
Refrigerator repairmen to me are like teachers. They can't make it in the
real world, or at any chosen discipline, so they just take the easy way out,
and settle for a position that at least doesn't have a social stigma like
"gutter cleaner".

If they were able to grasp the basics of HVAC, they'd be out there changing
10 ton units, doing new construction, putting in very large walk in coolers
or freezers, or the like.

But instead, they don't have what it it takes to make it in the trade, so
they fall back on "refrigerator repairman."

Which to me is the same to "bicycle mechanic."

No offense to bicycle mechanics out there .................................

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

What the ****? Teachers can't make it in the real world, or at any
chosen discipline, so they just take the easy way out? Are you ****ing
serious?

When I was a wee lad, I had nuns for teachers, they were married to God
so they didn't worry about the real world. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

You didn't get the memo? It's ALWAYS the thermostat.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

In any vocation, if you don't update your knowledge base and
skillset every
3 years, your behind the curve. With the changes and advances in
HVAC, its
every 6 months to a year..... unless your looking for
"Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob" or
"Bubba" with the cheapest price. Just remember that you get what you
pay
for.

Ma AC ain't a workin, I thank it's th thermostait.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 9/22/2010 7:43 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 21:18:37 -0700, Bill Noble wrote:
the last time I had those symptoms, it was a 1947 Norge that had run
until 1987. I took it apart, and the root cause was lack of lubrication
to the rod bearing caused by a particle of some kind getting into the
lubrication hole and blocking it - Still, one can't be too unhappy about
a 40 year life on a refrig.

Ours will be 34 next year, so it's getting up there. I'd replace it if I
had any faith in a modern one lasting even a third of that time, but as
it stands I'll just run it until something major breaks.

I'm sure it uses huge amounts of power - but we have to heat the house
for over half the year here, so at least anything that it loses as heat
isn't going to waste during that time ;-)

cheers

Jules

The older units usually have larger heavier parts and the motor windings
may have a larger wire size. The newest equipment seems to be made as
light and as spare of materials as possible. I repaired a standard top
freezer refrigerator for my friend's daughter that stopped working due
to the motor windings in both the defrost timer and evaporator fan being
blown open by a power surge or lightening strike. The compressor was
unaffected and the fridge escaped serious damage because it was so
simple. Another fridge belonging to another customer was damaged by a
lightening strike which blew out a very expensive electronic control
board which controlled all of the complicated bells and whistles that
the wonderful big side by side super duper fridge was equipped with.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

I'm surprised. I'd have figured higher than that. I've also met
customers who say that the techs from this or that company seemed only
interested in selling new units. Aparently, selling new units is not
limited to one company.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

. 3.70...
"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

What % of the time would you estimate that happens?

Around where we live, I'd say at least 30%. Most of the problems with
split systems around here are due to age, corrosion, and leaky
fittings;
or the omni-present lightning-induced electrical burnouts.

But about 1/3 of the time when they DON'T need anything but a simple
repair or leak fix, the "repairmen" will show up, puff and wheeze
around
the unit for an hour or so, and declare it's going to need "(new
compressor, new unit, replacing... et. al.)".

We have some guys who at least can fix units. We have others whose
main
reason for making a service call is to entice the owner to buy a new
unit.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburghlloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
fired this volley in
:

Just curious why are you so ****y, a slow day? Customers not calling?

no... he's a "refrigeration professional", and doesn't want anyone to
figure out the four or five pages of knowlege that constitutes his
"professional advantage" over ordinary laymen.

Does that refrigeration knowledge amount to so little? Any textbook
you would recommend?

I cannot believe that, after fixing and retrofitting my Bridgeport
Interact CNC mill, I cannot ever properly diagnose a bad Sears
refrigerator. I started knowing nothing about CNC mills and now,
thanks to all the great help I got, I have a working CNC machine.

Maybe I can fix the fridge too.

I don't see why not, I remember fixing a CNC machine that had a
Toshiba bubble memory unit in the controller. It was a hoot,
when I told the kid at the electronic supply house about the
bubble memory unit, I got a blank stare and a "duh?".

Remember all the hype about Bubble memory? It was supposed to do to
solid state RAM, what RAM did to core memory. I've only seen one
computer with Bubble memory, and it failed twice in two years.

Oh man, you're showing your age. I had a great deal of fun with
Univac 1100 series and IBM 360-50 systems so long ago. I was
actually present when a customer service engineer, remember
them, diagnosed a core memory failure, the first he'd seen.
Back then, when you bought a computer, an engineer was included
in the price to take care of the big monster. I remember the
big splash bubble memory made and I think it should be looked
at again and updated with more modern materials. There are some
applications in the world for simple robust nonvolatile memory
devices that could be served by the technology. Darn, I had a
small core memory unit (palm sized) that I found in a junk pile
on Meck Island at the Kwajalein Missile Range back in the late
1980's. I lost it in a move, it was a neat little gadget.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 08:49:45 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Steve wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

HVAC wrote:

wrote in message

I've never been so busy. Seriously.

I do commercial only and all I can say is WHAT recession?

Now we know who you do commercials FOR - Brobama !

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

It's only a recession if you don't have work.

And your only an ignorant asshole if you work in HVAC.

The same could be said of insert your vocation here.

You starting this crap again? Most guys who work in HVAC couldn't
get a job at a fast food place.

Nice troll, dumbass.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

When I was a wee lad, I had nuns for teachers, they were married to God
so they didn't worry about the real world. 8-)

TDD

Drill instructor screaming in grunt's face. Grunt answers back, "You don't
scare me. I went to Catholic school."

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Steve" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
news

. 70...
AZ Nomad fired this volley in
:

You need more than a fiddle to perform refrigeration repair.

That's all I see the "pros" do. They swap crap until it works, and if
it's
an actual _refrigeration_ problem, they either add refrigerant, or
scratch
their asses waiting for advice from "someone at the office."

LLoyd

I have gauges. I would bet a Franklin that I could check the level of
freon in my system, call for a repairman, and be charged for a freon
charge to "top off the system."

It takes more than *just* gauges to check the refrigerant charge balance.
What about the compressors rated amp draw?? superheat?? subcooling??

You can check with your gauges, then **** and moan cause you added when it
didn't need it, or recovered what you thought was excess.... when the
"problem" may have only been dirty coils, or blower wheel, or dirty
filter, or bunch of registers closed, or.............

WHOOSH!

(The sound of an idea passing over an empty air space.)

Echo.

A reverberating WHOOSH!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Ignoramus15834" wrote in message
A few years ago our furnace was taken out by lightning strike. I was
able to diagnose which board failed and that helped me detect a part
swapping bull****ter tech who wanted to swap essentially everything. I
hired another one , who actually bothered to try to diagnose the
issue. This one is my only HVAC guy now.

When you find a good one, keep them. We have a company that does the work
in our three Vegas properties, and they know their stuff. They're the kind
that will say, "It's worn, but it will last another year," rather then, "Oh,
Man! It needs EVERYTHING!"

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-22, Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 22-Sep-10 04:18, Ignoramus25344 wrote:
If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

The compressor unit in it would keep trying to start and would be
unable to start, tripping an overload relay.

How old is it? Does it have enough room to vent its heat?

5 years old or so, yes it has room to vent.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburghlloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
fired this volley in
:

[...]

Wow, bubble memory.

In my case, the repair was ripping out the old CNC control and making
a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

HVAC wrote:

wrote in message

I've never been so busy. Seriously.

I do commercial only and all I can say is WHAT recession?

Now we know who you do commercials FOR - Brobama !

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

It's only a recession if you don't have work.

And your only an ignorant asshole if you work in HVAC.

The same could be said of insert your vocation here.

You starting this crap again? Most guys who work in HVAC couldn't
get a job at a fast food place.

Nice troll, dumbass.

Troll? Ive several aquaintences who do HVAC...and it appears to be a
true statement.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Ignoramus15834 fired this volley in
:

Wow, bubble memory.

I gotcha one better.

I rebuilt and serviced ASCII terminals that used 1K bytes of magneto-
strictive delay line memory!

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-22, wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:18:40 -0500, Ignoramus25344
wrote:

If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

The compressor unit in it would keep trying to start and would be
unable to start, tripping an overload relay.

After some "time off" to let the system cool, the fridge started just
fine. I also replaced a capacitor and relay (which was very cheap and
possibly not needed) and thought that I was done.

Many people can fix almost anything in their home, but when it comes
to refrigeration, it's not a DIY repair. You already replaced the
capacitor and relay. About the only other thing a homeowner can fix
is a defective control, bad wiring, or the cooling fan underneath.
After that, it's time for the pros, and they are expensive. You can
likely buy a used fridge much cheaper than the repair. Once a
compressor dies, its just too costly to replace it. A friend just had
a chest freezer die. I went over and tested the relay. It was
sucking way too much amperage, and would cut out in seconds. I told
him the compressor was shot. He called the pros the next day. He
paid them $50 for the same advice I gave him. They said there is a
dead short inside the compressor windings, and the cost to replace the
compressor was around $350 more. He was ****ed he had to pay the $50
service call. Well, I told him, and I didn't charge him anything. He
just bought a used freezer for $125, but lost all the food that he
had.

It sounds like you did all you could. Kiss it goodbye and get another
fridge, unless you want to spend as much as a new fridge to replace
the compressor.

Well, not what I really like to hear, but this may be very pertinent.

Last night, after the fridge sat without electricity (and food) for
over 12 hours, it still would not start -- the motor would buzz and
then the overload relay would turn it off. I left it unplugged.

Just to be dead sure, I will try again tonight when I get home from
work -- that would be 36 hours of sitting without power. I do not
expect any different result.

At that point, if the fridge would not start, this is for sure not ANY
kind of cooling issue, so I will just replace it with another fridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-21, LSMFT wrote:
Your motor has lack of lubrication and is seizing up. Since it's in a
sealed can you can't fix it. Putting lubrication in the coolant could
help but you can't do that either without unsoldering connections and
capturing the coolant and could cost more to fix than to throw out and
buy a new one.

I understand the implication of what you are saying, which is that it
is an expensive fix.

But just for my education, what exactly is wrong so that there is lack
of lubrication?

Say, why are the bearings in my 59 year old compressor working great
and this fridge is dead at a relatively young age? (well, I know why
my compressor is going well, because the pumpbearings are pressure
lubricated).

Are there any "well made" refrigerators where things are designed to
last long?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-21, Bill wrote:
To test this theory, put all your food in ice chests and turn off the fridge
for 24 hours with the door open. Then start it back up and see if it works
for another month.

There are also pans in the bottom of fridges to catch water. See if that is
full after 24 hours.

If it is "frost free", these have a timer which shuts off the compressor,
then turns on a heating element on the freezer coils. This defrosts the
freezer portion every so often..

The timer or the heating element can stop working.

You may be able to remove a panel in the freezer portion and see the coils
if they are hidden. If you see a big block of ice, then that is the problem.
Air can not be circulated into the refrigerator if ice is blocking the air

I tried restarting yesterday after 12-14 hours. It did not start. I
will start again today, after 36 or so hours, and will see. I am not
expecting much.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

HVAC wrote:

wrote in message

I've never been so busy. Seriously.

I do commercial only and all I can say is WHAT recession?

Now we know who you do commercials FOR - Brobama !

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

It's only a recession if you don't have work.

And your only an ignorant asshole if you work in HVAC.

The same could be said of insert your vocation here.

You starting this crap again? Most guys who work in HVAC couldn't
get a job at a fast food place.

Nice troll, dumbass.

Not really, but you can try harder next time.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

HVAC wrote:

wrote in message

I've never been so busy. Seriously.

I do commercial only and all I can say is WHAT recession?

Now we know who you do commercials FOR - Brobama !

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

It's only a recession if you don't have work.

And your only an ignorant asshole if you work in HVAC.

The same could be said of insert your vocation here.

You starting this crap again? Most guys who work in HVAC couldn't
get a job at a fast food place.

Nice troll, dumbass.

Troll? Ive several aquaintences who do HVAC...and it appears to be a
true statement.

I've seen some who were too stupid to place the system inside the
marks painted on the floor of an equipment room. Eight systems, and not
one within three feet of where it belonged. The morons screamed that
they wouldn't move them, till their boss was called to remove everything
from the pair of new buildings. It was a new college campus.

Another used so much flex that you couldn't get into the attic of a
new building, and the morons ripped out the wiring for the fire alarm
system.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburghlloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
fired this volley in
:

[...]

This was in the early '80s, and it was in one version of TI's IBM XT
clone. It was used as a remote data entry teminal for billing at a
Cable TV office. It replaced a cassette tape based NCR 300 baud
terminal that was installed in 1979

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Ignoramus15834 fired this volley in
:

Wow, bubble memory.

I gotcha one better.

I rebuilt and serviced ASCII terminals that used 1K bytes of magneto-
strictive delay line memory!

With an 8 or a 16 pound sledge hammer? ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

fired this volley in
:

Wow, bubble memory.

I gotcha one better.

I rebuilt and serviced ASCII terminals that used 1K bytes of magneto-
strictive delay line memory!

Wow. What year was that?

Jeff

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

HVAC wrote:

wrote in message

I've never been so busy. Seriously.

I do commercial only and all I can say is WHAT recession?

Now we know who you do commercials FOR - Brobama !

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

It's only a recession if you don't have work.

And your only an ignorant asshole if you work in HVAC.

The same could be said of insert your vocation here.

You starting this crap again? Most guys who work in HVAC couldn't
get a job at a fast food place.

Nice troll, dumbass.

Not really, but you can try harder next time.

Nice IKYABWAI, PeeWee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5P5eQiKNQs

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

HVAC wrote:

wrote in message

I've never been so busy. Seriously.

I do commercial only and all I can say is WHAT recession?

Now we know who you do commercials FOR - Brobama !

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

It's only a recession if you don't have work.

And your only an ignorant asshole if you work in HVAC.

The same could be said of insert your vocation here.

You starting this crap again? Most guys who work in HVAC couldn't
get a job at a fast food place.

Nice troll, dumbass.

Not really, but you can try harder next time.

Nice IKYABWAI, PeeWee

Sadly, PeeWee Herman is more of a man than you'll ever be. It must
be all that freon you've huffed.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 15:45:37 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Nice IKYABWAI, PeeWee

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5P5eQiKNQs

Sadly, PeeWee Herman is more of a man than you'll ever be. It must
be all that freon you've huffed.

Re-read above ^, PeeWee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5P5eQiKNQs

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Perhaps, once he has determined that the solution is beyond his ability, of course. Don't be bustin his ass because he's making
that effort. Furthermore, we in this group HELP, unlike those responders at alt.hvac
Steve

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
Wouldn't he call a refrigeration professional, instead?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburghlloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
fired this volley
[...]

Yes, but did it have ventricles in the frammistan? ;-P

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:06:51 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

It probably can't compete with Flash.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Drop and give me 20 Hail Marys, maggot!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

Drill instructor screaming in grunt's face. Grunt answers back, "You
don't
scare me. I went to Catholic school."

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Amateurs. I worked on Moses' abacus.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

. 3.70...
Ignoramus15834 fired this volley
in
:

Wow, bubble memory.

I gotcha one better.

I rebuilt and serviced ASCII terminals that used 1K bytes of magneto-
strictive delay line memory!

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Drop and give me 20 Hail Marys, maggot!

Not likely. I got in an argument with a D.I. in basic. Before it
was over, the Captain read him the riot act and 'suggested' that he
would not like being an E1 again.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

HVAC wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Gotta love it when they go with the lowest bid and they got what they paid
for.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

HVAC wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

They didn't hire you.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

HVAC wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

They couldn't afford me. Besides I don't do new construction, there is no
money in it, I make more money sitting in my recliner.