Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Refrigerator not working again

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

The problem is that the EPA and the refrigeration industry have conspired
to make their trade a government-sanctioned cartel and a "black magic"
trade, respectively.

If it's "illegal to do yourself", it "must be difficult"; no?

HVAC distributors are generally honest, although they have the same
cartel mentality. For instance, a large umbrella corporation that owned
GemAire recently acquired Grainger and Baker Brothers, as well.

Grainger? That is sad.

Now, none of their individual business units will sell you anything that
_contains_ Freon, even if it's a sealed system. They tell callers, "it's
the law...". But, of course, it's not; you can buy "sealed systems" in
the form of window units and fridges at any store you wish, except those
cartel members.

The more the government encourages them, the more dishonest they become.
(sidebar... EPA should be abolished, and ALL the f'ing unconstitutional
"laws" they've passed) One _shouldn't_ gas-off Freon into the
atmosphere, but the act should be illegal, not the possession of Freon.

I *thought* the new stuff was better than the bad stuff that was outlawed, iow, R12.
I wonder when the patent on R-134a runs out and the next wonder refrigerant is the legal
standard.

Is the hole in in ozone layer bigger or smaller? I haven't heard much lately. Last I
knew it was getting smaller.

Now, local repair shops? I'd say 60% of them are scam artists with no
repair skills at all. Another 38% are completely incompetent, even if
they're honest. That leaves what?

I've never had to hire out work other than wheel alignment so I have no idea. My shop
rate is way lower than theirs. IOW, I make X they charge 3-5X. DIY is an ez choice,
every time.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller