Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Default Refrigerator not working again!

Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Ignoramus30441" wrote in message
Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

Iggy, if you have ever listened to my advice, take this one:

Toss it and get another, either used or new. You can get a used one for
what the compressor will cost, and all the system is as old as the
compressor, and next month it will be a coil, or a whizzit that might fry
your new compressor. They only have 30-90 day warranties (replace, but you
pay labor , translated, HOW MUCH YOU GOT) You'll get a better deal on the
new one.

I went through what you went through three times. I would NEVER EVER have a
refrigerator rebuilt. Others have had different experiences, I'm just
telling you what I would do at MY house in the same circumstances. Once the
word "compressor" comes into the conversation, it changes everything, like
"pregnant" or "STD". Cut your losses, get another, and use all this time
doing you are now wasting doing something constructive. If you had done
this three days ago, this would almost be a memory right now.

Guys who do appliance repair are either talented individuals who understand
complex systems with lots of controls, or are the ones who couldn't make it
in HVAC school. And to fail HVAC school is comparable to failing a
urinalysis. They're both that easy.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-23, Steve B wrote:

[...]

I like your examples of "changes everything" words.

I think that I will do what you say, I will get a new fridge.

Guys who do appliance repair are either talented individuals who understand
complex systems with lots of controls, or are the ones who couldn't make it
in HVAC school. And to fail HVAC school is comparable to failing a
urinalysis. They're both that easy.

both may have the same udnerlying reason too.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Sep 23, 10:29*am, Ignoramus30441 ignoramus30...@NOSPAM.
30441.invalid wrote:
Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

If you do decide to toss it (as you will undoubtedly be advised by
many in this group), first salvage some of the good stuff like the new
parts you put in and, most importantly, the magnets in the door
gaskets. Just slice 'em out with a razor blade. They're incredibly
handy.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Ignoramus30441 wrote:
..

I think that I will do what you say, I will get a new fridge.

The new ones are significantly more energy efficient, also.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

30441.invalid wrote:
Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

If you do decide to toss it (as you will undoubtedly be advised by
many in this group), first salvage some of the good stuff like the new
parts you put in and, most importantly, the magnets in the door
gaskets. Just slice 'em out with a razor blade. They're incredibly
handy.

There is nothing useful in this fridge, even the shelves are glass
instead of wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Sep 23, 9:29*am, Ignoramus30441 ignoramus30...@NOSPAM.
30441.invalid wrote:
Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

The patient is dying, the horse is about dead, quit wasting time on
it. Tomorrow at 8am you can get 30% off friges and apliances in
illinois, 15% from gov and 15% from places like sears and best buy,
are you that ignorant that you could pass up that deal, mr ignoramus.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Ignoramus30441" wrote

There is nothing useful in this fridge, even the shelves are glass
instead of wire.

I have heard of MinnesOHtans making fish smokers out of them. They use a
tiny tiny fire, and IIRC, all the magic happens at 140 degrees or less.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-23, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus30441" wrote

There is nothing useful in this fridge, even the shelves are glass
instead of wire.

I have heard of MinnesOHtans making fish smokers out of them. They use a
tiny tiny fire, and IIRC, all the magic happens at 140 degrees or less.

I have a smoker built into my grill, it works not so badly.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Ignoramus30441 wrote:
Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

IF you want to start that compressor if it will ever start shock it with
three phase 220 without any caps connected. Its sorta like using a
defibrillator for compressors.

Best advice is to get a new refrigerator.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-23, john wrote:
Ignoramus30441 wrote:
Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

IF you want to start that compressor if it will ever start shock it with
three phase 220 without any caps connected. Its sorta like using a
defibrillator for compressors.

Best advice is to get a new refrigerator.

John, sounds fun for sure. And I have three phase handy at my garage.

This is a 120v compressor though, what would happen due to voltage
being twice over what it needs?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-23, john wrote:
Ignoramus30441 wrote:
Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

IF you want to start that compressor if it will ever start shock it with
three phase 220 without any caps connected. Its sorta like using a
defibrillator for compressors.

Best advice is to get a new refrigerator.

John, sounds fun for sure. And I have three phase handy at my garage.

This is a 120v compressor though, what would happen due to voltage
being twice over what it needs?

It will work.
Or it won't.
And not for sure for how long.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 2010-09-23, wrote:
Ignoramus30441 wrote:
Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

IF you want to start that compressor if it will ever start shock it with
three phase 220 without any caps connected. Its sorta like using a
defibrillator for compressors.

Best advice is to get a new refrigerator.

John, sounds fun for sure. And I have three phase handy at my garage.

This is a 120v compressor though, what would happen due to voltage
being twice over what it needs?

It will either kill it or break the rotor free but it's toast anyway,
you will just turn it into burnt toast. Don't leave the power on for
more than a couple of seconds until it breaks loose and starts running,
then turn it off. The windings can take the 220 for a short while until
they overheat.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

I've done that. I call it the "volt jolt".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"john" wrote in message

IF you want to start that compressor if it will ever start shock it
with
three phase 220 without any caps connected. Its sorta like using a
defibrillator for compressors.

Best advice is to get a new refrigerator.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Last couple compressors I changed, ran $300 to $400.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"A. Baum" wrote in message
news On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:29:16 -0500, Ignoramus30441 wrote:

Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the
compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

I would probably charge you $1000. no tax.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Last couple compressors I changed, ran $300 to $400.

I can't help it if you don't charge enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

That's the alt havoc advice I know and love.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Last couple compressors I changed, ran $300 to $400.

I can't help it if you don't charge enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Last couple compressors I changed, ran $300 to $400.

You're not supposed to count work done for wives, relatives, or concubines.
Were they dorm fridge compressors, or 15 ton three phase?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Apx. 4 hours of labor and material
how much it will cost depend on you area
$500.00 labor compr.,filter drier, and refrigerant another $500.00 plus tax
you figure it out!
Is it better to purchase new one definitely.
However don't expect for some one to come and
trouble shoot it for you for nothing, in most cases flat fee will apply.

"Ignoramus30441" wrote in message
Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Grumpy" fired this volley in news:i7j3uc$muc$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

and refrigerant another $500.00 plus tax

Grump... are you telling me you'd charge $500.00 for ten ounces of
refrigerant? Oh, you ARE an HVAC repairman!

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

There is likely a reset button on the unit.
See if you can find one.

I had something like that with ours. Red was the color.

I think it knocks out the starting winding - the high current ones -

One should have the icebox plugged in to heat the oil for hours before
kicking it off. Mostly that is when the oil is not down in the motor.
(moving it...).

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 9/23/2010 9:29 AM, Ignoramus30441 wrote:
Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

. 3.70...
"Grumpy" fired this volley in news:i7j3uc$muc$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

and refrigerant another $500.00 plus tax

Grump... are you telling me you'd charge $500.00 for ten ounces of
refrigerant? Oh, you ARE an HVAC repairman!

LLoyd

I guess you couldn't figure it out.... here, try again....

$500.00 labor,
compr.,filter drier, and refrigerant another $500.00 plus tax

Don't forget the charging access ports, gages, micron gage, clamp on
thermister and digital meter, torch, nitrogen, silfos, start kit, vacuum
pump, and hazwaste disposal of the old refrigerant. Then there is the truck
to get it all there with its associated costs and expenses, and of course
the advertising that got you to call in the first place. Oh, and the
paperwork.... no job is done till the paperwork is done. when its all said
and done, the tech will have around $50 - $75 in his pocket for 4 - 5 hours
of on site work, an hour or so of windshield time to and from the job site,
an hour or so to the supply house to pick up the compressor, and parts, and
another 45 minutes or so for paperwork.

That $1,000 just doesn't go very far, does it....

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 9/24/2010 9:45 PM, Steve wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message
. 3.70...
[...]

It's hard to explain to people why a service costs so much when they pay
a lawyer $150.00 for two sheets of paper without question. "What?!
$150.00 !?? That paper only costs 4 cents!! What the hell?!!"

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Household full size refrigerators. Not relatives, and I've got very
few concubines, or wives. Couldn't have any fewer, actually. 1/4 plus,
or 1/3 HP. Did a 10k BTU AC compressor a couple weeks ago. I suggested
to get another whole unit from Walmart, but he aparently liked this
one.

Largest I've done has been a 2 HP for a walk in cooler.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message
Last couple compressors I changed, ran $300 to $400.

You're not supposed to count work done for wives, relatives, or
concubines.
Were they dorm fridge compressors, or 15 ton three phase?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 9/25/2010 6:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Household full size refrigerators. Not relatives, and I've got very
few concubines, or wives. Couldn't have any fewer, actually. 1/4 plus,
or 1/3 HP. Did a 10k BTU AC compressor a couple weeks ago. I suggested
to get another whole unit from Walmart, but he aparently liked this
one.

Largest I've done has been a 2 HP for a walk in cooler.

I think the largest freezer I ever worked on belonged to a bakery and
it was the size of a basketball court. Forklift doors and 20' high
pallet racks were in that darn thing. It was a lot of fun getting way
up in the air to work on the multiple evaporators. Believe it or not,
it's easier to work on than a little freezer, you can get to every part.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Yes, I can imagine that being easier to work on. One of my regular gas
and go customers has a walk in refrigerator. Naturally, it leaks at
the nut for the TXV. The folks who designed the cooler allowed about
two inches from the end of the evap to the wall. I get to tighten the
nut while standing on crates of soda pop, and balancing a miror,
wrench, minimag, and trying to not fall.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I think the largest freezer I ever worked on belonged to a bakery and
it was the size of a basketball court. Forklift doors and 20' high
pallet racks were in that darn thing. It was a lot of fun getting way
up in the air to work on the multiple evaporators. Believe it or not,
it's easier to work on than a little freezer, you can get to every
part.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, I can imagine that being easier to work on. One of my regular gas
and go customers has a walk in refrigerator. Naturally, it leaks at
the nut for the TXV. The folks who designed the cooler allowed about
two inches from the end of the evap to the wall. I get to tighten the
nut while standing on crates of soda pop, and balancing a miror,
wrench, minimag, and trying to not fall.

If the job was easy, anyone could do it! ;-)

I would have traded you jobs back in the '70s when I had to stand
inside TV transmitter in full operation to adjust the interstage
coupling. Nothing like standing on a 3 KV power supply with a fault
current in excess of 10KA while bending the wire loops with a piece of
nylon rod.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

A locksmith I used to know. Says "You can do the job, and they can't.
That's why they call you. And you got to charge em for it."

That nylon rod bit sounds like you want to be careful what you're
doing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, I can imagine that being easier to work on. One of my regular
gas
and go customers has a walk in refrigerator. Naturally, it leaks at
the nut for the TXV. The folks who designed the cooler allowed about
two inches from the end of the evap to the wall. I get to tighten
the
nut while standing on crates of soda pop, and balancing a miror,
wrench, minimag, and trying to not fall.

If the job was easy, anyone could do it! ;-)

I would have traded you jobs back in the '70s when I had to stand
inside TV transmitter in full operation to adjust the interstage
coupling. Nothing like standing on a 3 KV power supply with a fault
current in excess of 10KA while bending the wire loops with a piece of
nylon rod.

--
Politicians should only get paid if the budget is balanced, and there
is

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message news
A locksmith I used to know. Says "You can do the job, and
they can't.
That's why they call you. And you got to charge em for
it."

That nylon rod bit sounds like you want to be careful what
you're
doing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

There is an old parable in the electronics service industry
that goes something like this:

A person has an expensive piece of electronics equipment
that is not working correctly. He calls the repair center
and the next day a repairman shows up. He looks at the
symptoms, removes the back cover, gets out a screwdriver and
makes an adjustment inside. The equipment works perfectly
again. He submits the bill:

Repair expensive electronic equipment. Total $100.

The customer shouts, "That is outrageous! All you did is
make an adjustment inside." The repairman takes back the
bill and writes a new one:

Adjust expensive electronic equipment $1,
Knowing what to adjust $99,
Total $100,

David

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 9/25/2010 10:33 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yes, I can imagine that being easier to work on. One of my regular gas
and go customers has a walk in refrigerator. Naturally, it leaks at
the nut for the TXV. The folks who designed the cooler allowed about
two inches from the end of the evap to the wall. I get to tighten the
nut while standing on crates of soda pop, and balancing a miror,
wrench, minimag, and trying to not fall.

Next time you're at the supply house, pick up a tube of
Leak Lock. You'll never be without it again.

http://www.highsidechem.com/leaklck.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Some decades ago, I heard the same joke. But it was a steam
locomotive, and two taps for buck each. Knowing, $998.

A locksmith I knew. Got a rush call to open a car, guy had to be to
the airport. Having opened several of those, the locksmith knew which
tool, how far into the window, and in which direction to go. As he was
reaching into the car to recover the keys, the guy hollered. "Forty
bucks! I'm not going to pay you forty bucks... for.... THAT!!!"

Locksmith threw the keys back in, and started to walk off. After some
begging, the locksmith relented, and opened the car a second time.
Now, the bill is up to $80. Me, I am not that heartless.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

bill and writes a new one:

Adjust expensive electronic equipment $1,
Knowing what to adjust $99,
Total $100,

David

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Thanks. Looks good. Wish they would make some in a spray can, self
penetrating. Just spray it onto a leaky TXV or gas thread, and walk
away. And while I'm dreaming, make me an adjustable crescent flare
wrench.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 9/25/2010 10:33 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yes, I can imagine that being easier to work on. One of my regular
gas
and go customers has a walk in refrigerator. Naturally, it leaks at
the nut for the TXV. The folks who designed the cooler allowed about
two inches from the end of the evap to the wall. I get to tighten
the
nut while standing on crates of soda pop, and balancing a miror,
wrench, minimag, and trying to not fall.

Next time you're at the supply house, pick up a tube of
Leak Lock. You'll never be without it again.

http://www.highsidechem.com/leaklck.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:

A locksmith I used to know. Says "You can do the job, and they can't.
That's why they call you. And you got to charge em for it."

Unfortunately, I was in the Military, and on active duty. The
recommended procedure wasn't working, and we had a lot of complaints
about TVs with a vertical roll, all over the base. It took over 15
minutes per try to do it by the book. Adjust it, fire up the
transmitter and run the tests after five minutes. Shut it down. Wait a
few minutes and then shove the shorting stick into the HV power supply.
Then repeat. We had been following the book for over two days. Finally
I got fed up and removed the end cap so I could close all the safety
doors and stepped inside. Ten minutes later we had exactly what we
needed, and the other engineer shut down the transmitter and discharged
the power supply. Needless to say, I trusted him with my life.

That nylon rod bit sounds like you want to be careful what you're
doing.

You only make a mistake like that once. Then they scrape what's left
of you off the equipment & the walls.

BTW, some of you other Veterans might get a kick out of this:
http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/historical-military-pay-rates

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 17:45:23 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Some decades ago, I heard the same joke. But it was a steam locomotive,
and two taps for buck each. Knowing, $998.

A locksmith I knew. Got a rush call to open a car, guy had to be to the
airport. Having opened several of those, the locksmith knew which tool,
how far into the window, and in which direction to go. As he was reaching
into the car to recover the keys, the guy hollered. "Forty bucks! I'm not
going to pay you forty bucks... for.... THAT!!!"

Locksmith threw the keys back in, and started to walk off. After some
begging, the locksmith relented, and opened the car a second time. Now,
the bill is up to $80. Me, I am not that heartless.

I once had a girlfriend who had custody of a 16-year old kid, whose dad
bought him a brand-new pickup truck, as an abseentee parent bribe or
whatever. He locked his keys in it. We called a locksmith, who was an
off-duty cop, and went out to watch him pick the lock. The guy was
poking around and poking around, and we kind of got lost in conversation;
we had wanted to see him pick the lock. Well, after about 10 minutes of
this, we were all thoroughly distracted, he said, "Well, it doesn't seem
to be working here - let me try the other side." Before any of us clued
up and thought to chase him to the other side of the truck, he had the
lock picked in about three seconds.

I was rather saddened that I didn't get to see how it was done. )-;

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 9/25/2010 4:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks. Looks good. Wish they would make some in a spray can, self
penetrating. Just spray it onto a leaky TXV or gas thread, and walk
away. And while I'm dreaming, make me an adjustable crescent flare
wrench.

Locktite makes a penetrating locker but when you have something
apart, a thin coat of Leak Lock on the mating surfaces and all
your problems are solved. I use it on all mechanical connections,
it will even hold screws in place.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 9/25/2010 4:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks. Looks good. Wish they would make some in a spray can, self
penetrating. Just spray it onto a leaky TXV or gas thread, and walk
away. And while I'm dreaming, make me an adjustable crescent flare
wrench.

Locktite makes a penetrating locker but when you have something
apart, a thin coat of Leak Lock on the mating surfaces and all
your problems are solved. I use it on all mechanical connections,
it will even hold screws in place.

So your the idiot that puts that crap on service port caps. :-(

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Martin H. Eastburn" fired this volley in
news
One should have the icebox plugged in to heat the oil for hours before
kicking it off. Mostly that is when the oil is not down in the motor.
(moving it...).

Ordinary residential refrigerators do NOT have compressor crankcase
heaters!

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

"Steve" fired this volley in news:i7jnnt$fns$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

I guess you couldn't figure it out.... here, try again....

I figured out out just fine, Steve.

He tallied up the other work at $500, then said he'd charge another 500
just for the refrigerant.

I had a compressor replaced on a 5-ton AC for a total job cost of $700.00
(and it happened to be under warantee, so we only paid about $300 of
that).

The R-22, labor, windshield time, the gauges, the micron gauge, the
vacuum pump (all of which I own, too) were ALL in that $300.00.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Especially since most refrig take about 6 ounces.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

. 3.70...
"Grumpy" fired this volley in news:i7j3uc$muc$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

and refrigerant another $500.00 plus tax

Grump... are you telling me you'd charge $500.00 for ten ounces of
refrigerant? Oh, you ARE an HVAC repairman!

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

On 9/25/2010 8:42 PM, Steve wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 9/25/2010 4:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks. Looks good. Wish they would make some in a spray can, self
penetrating. Just spray it onto a leaky TXV or gas thread, and walk
away. And while I'm dreaming, make me an adjustable crescent flare
wrench.

Locktite makes a penetrating locker but when you have something
apart, a thin coat of Leak Lock on the mating surfaces and all
your problems are solved. I use it on all mechanical connections,
it will even hold screws in place.

So your the idiot that puts that crap on service port caps. :-(

Nope, nope, nope, not me! I use the appropriate sealer in the
appropriate places. I once did a lot of commercial glass work
and automatic door installation and service. That's the sort
of thing Loctite and Nylock nuts were made for. The Leak Lock
for the air fittings on the pneumatic door systems. Those old
Stanley air doors sounded just like the doors on Star Trek, do
you remember those? Just about every grocery store had the damn
things 30-40 years ago. Most of the pneumatic and hydraulic door
operators have been replaced by 90 volt DC drive units. Folks
would be amazed at the technology that goes into those ubiquitous
automatic doors they wander through everyday. 8-)

TDD