Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Refrigerator not working again!

"Ignoramus30441" wrote in message
Well, here's a little update.

After 36 hours of sitting without power, the fridge would not start,
the compressor motor buzzes and shuts off in 20 seconds or so.

So, presumptively, the compressor is seized. I want to know how much
would it cost to replace it, by a fridge repair professional of
course.

Thanks

Iggy, if you have ever listened to my advice, take this one:

Toss it and get another, either used or new. You can get a used one for
what the compressor will cost, and all the system is as old as the
compressor, and next month it will be a coil, or a whizzit that might fry
your new compressor. They only have 30-90 day warranties (replace, but you
pay labor , translated, HOW MUCH YOU GOT) You'll get a better deal on the
new one.

I went through what you went through three times. I would NEVER EVER have a
refrigerator rebuilt. Others have had different experiences, I'm just
telling you what I would do at MY house in the same circumstances. Once the
word "compressor" comes into the conversation, it changes everything, like
"pregnant" or "STD". Cut your losses, get another, and use all this time
doing you are now wasting doing something constructive. If you had done
this three days ago, this would almost be a memory right now.

Guys who do appliance repair are either talented individuals who understand
complex systems with lots of controls, or are the ones who couldn't make it
in HVAC school. And to fail HVAC school is comparable to failing a
urinalysis. They're both that easy.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.