Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Refrigerator not working again!

On 9/25/2010 8:42 PM, Steve wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 9/25/2010 4:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks. Looks good. Wish they would make some in a spray can, self
penetrating. Just spray it onto a leaky TXV or gas thread, and walk
away. And while I'm dreaming, make me an adjustable crescent flare
wrench.

Locktite makes a penetrating locker but when you have something
apart, a thin coat of Leak Lock on the mating surfaces and all
your problems are solved. I use it on all mechanical connections,
it will even hold screws in place.

So your the idiot that puts that crap on service port caps. :-(

Nope, nope, nope, not me! I use the appropriate sealer in the
appropriate places. I once did a lot of commercial glass work
and automatic door installation and service. That's the sort
of thing Loctite and Nylock nuts were made for. The Leak Lock
for the air fittings on the pneumatic door systems. Those old
Stanley air doors sounded just like the doors on Star Trek, do
you remember those? Just about every grocery store had the damn
things 30-40 years ago. Most of the pneumatic and hydraulic door
operators have been replaced by 90 volt DC drive units. Folks
would be amazed at the technology that goes into those ubiquitous
automatic doors they wander through everyday. 8-)

TDD

Trivia note- on the original show, they got lots of letters from
architects and engineers wanting to know how they got the automagic
sliding doors to open and close so fast. They were well faster than what
was commercially available in 1960s. It was all a fakeout- the door
slides were done by stagehands, pulling or pushing on cue. I suspect the
dubbed sound effect for the opening and closing may well have been from
a Stanley of the era. They stole sound effects from lots of places, and
then tweaked as needed. One of the early torpedo sounds was the sound
you get from hitting the web of a loose steel I-beam with a hammer. Back
in that pre-computer era, all the sound effects were artisan work like that.

--
aem sends...