Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Default Refrigerator not working again!

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Steve wrote:

"Michael A. wrote in message
m...

Steve wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

It only takes a tiny amount of Leak Lock on the sealing surfaces. Some
people think the more the better. Can you say: clogged TXV screen?

I only use that stuff in very small amounts on black iron pipe threads
when
I am running a gas line to a furnace.

I had to replace the gas service to my house in Ohio, years ago. The
character from CG&E was a pompous ass who informed me that I had failed
the pressure test before he even got out of his truck. Then he said,
None of the approzed contractor passed before the third test and no home
owner had ever passed the test so I was about to kiss the $75 fee
goodbye. The first thing he looked at was the Robroy installation kit,
the orange plastic gas pipe and the #12 copper wire that was secured to
the pipe.

Well, it did pass on the first try so he went to insect everything
else. Then he was standing there in my basement looking at the 21'
piece of black iron pipe that ran from a tee at the furnace, directly to
the gas meter outside. He finally asked how I got that much pipe into
the tiny basement. I smiled and told him it was really easy, after I
dug a 30° angled hole beside the meter, and gave the pipe a shove. Then
he tried to claim I used the wrong pipe tape, but couldn't deny that the
partially used roll was the proper type. All the pipe had been removed,
inspected and reinstalled after the old pipe dope was wire brushed from
the threads.

He was ****ed off, but he had to approve everything and turn my gas
back on.

The new water service was another story.

Some inspectors get a little full of themselves. The last time I had a run
in with an inspector, he was an ass from the start. I pulled *my* code
books, and the manufacturers instructions handed them to him and told him to
*SHOW* me where my work didn't comply. He couldn't do it, and had to pass
the job. He didn't work there very long after they figured out his resume
and job history wasn't what he said it was.

I built UHF TV station in Destin, Florida about 20 years ago. The
local building inspector stormed in and ordered me to stop working on
the transmitter, because I didn't have a local electrician's license. I
laid the original blueprints of the RCA system on the table and pointed
to the top left corner that was marked "Electrician. Connect power
he" and tried to explain that i was assembling a piece of industrial
equipment. He screamed you're pulling @#$%^&*( wire, dammit, and
claimed that I was violating the NEC. I tossed him my copy and asked
him to point out which parts I ws violating, and asked how familiar he
was with the industrial and theatrical sections. he turned red and
said, I don't give a damn, it has to be done by someone with a local
license. I smiled and asked him to recommend someone who was bonded for
in excess of $1,000,000 for the damage they could cause. he turned
bright red and said, This pile of **** isn't worth a million bucks! I
smiled and said, I realize that, but if they hook up even one wire
wrong, they would destroy the transmitter and that the new one was only
available turnkey, which was well over a million. Then I asked, Which
one of your local 'Bubbas' knows how to prep and install 30 KV armored
HV cable.

then he tried to tell me that the 1/4" steel plate with the control
wiring and three 480 V to 120 V step down transmitters had to be taken
down and mounted on 1/2" plywood. I told him I would gladly do that, if
he showed me contact for his next of kin, and stood in front of the
equipment when I removed the braces. There was over a ton of
transformers and switch gear on that 4' * 10' plate.

He threw his papers back into his briefcase and yelled, I'll be back
in 15 minutes with a cease& desist order! He never came back. ;-)

I don't usually have problems with inspectors.

Destin and Sandestin are tourist traps with overpiced condos. They
don't want anyone except their G.O.B. doing anything. I went to an
electrical supply house where they refused to sell me anything, even
after learning that I had an account with their company at another
branch in the state. A plumbing supply house refused to sell me some 3"
copper pipe for the cooling system. Both changed their minds after I
told them I would pick them up over the weekend near home, and send
letters to their corporate offices.

Wednesday and Thursday
of last week I had to go out to a new department store to install two
kiosks that had to be changed out because there was no UL sticker on
the darn things. The guy who had originally started the job, walked
when he discovered just how difficult the gear was to setup and get
working. The kiosks were quite interesting with a 32" LCD touch screen
turned vertically, a laser scanner, mag-stripe and bar-code swipe
reader, thermal printer and touch pad mouse. The keyboard is on screen
and the contraption is run by an HP/Compaq PC running Win XP. I had to
get the network connection up then format and reimage the hard drive for
the required task. After going through that, the customer assistance
call button would work. I actually worked with U.S. based tech support!

Even a blind pig finds an acorn at times. ;-)

I missed my little Indian friends.sniff

You need to spend more time at the range. ;-)

I've done repairs to the computer systems at Blockbuster stores and
the India based tech support personnel are hysterically funny some
of the time, especially when they give me a name. One gal went by
"Julia Roberts", a fellow told me his name was "Stalin" and when I
asked if his first name was "Joseph", he said yes. One time I went
to a store that was so trashed that it scared the Indians so they
put me through to a gal in Texas who spent 8 hours on the phone with
me while I went through and straightened out the entire point of sale
system. A very strange setup with serial and Ethernet on the same
Cat5 cable.

Don't you just love cheap *******s?

Have you seen the ads for the new TV show called 'Outsourced'?

http://tv.yahoo.com/outsourced/show/46490

enough left over to pay them.