Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pearls Before the Swine

"Jim Northey" wrote in message
news:Xdmfh.462290$1T2.192256@pd7urf2no...

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Yup.. that's how I pretty much deal with that these days. "Unobtainum"
wood... hand cultivated by Newfoundland virgins.....extremely hard to
find. (ducking)
NEVER a time guarantee, because I thread those jobs between my
countertops.
Besides, my immediate family has me booked till 2020.

That's my story.. and I'm sticking to it.

What's harder to find the unobtanium wood or the NF virgins? :-)

Newfie virgins? C'mon, some ten-year-olds can run faster than their
uncles....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Dec 2006 05:43:10 -0800, "DonkeyHody"
wrote:

My problem is that she, like most people, really have no concept of the
amount of time and effort that goes into producing something like that.
I'm sure she would have been willing to pay a "reasonable" price for
such an item, but I'm not willing to part with them for a reasonable
sum. A "reasonable" sum wouldn't pay the heating bill for my shop,
much less buy the wood or give me any wages at all for my time. I know
I'm overstating, but you know what I mean.

A common enough situation, unfortunately.

How do you folks handle these situations?

In a word, I just tell any unsolicited "customer" that I don't sell
anything to anyone, it's just for my enjoyment. When I see something
that I wouldn't mind doing for either the challenge of it or to help
someone out with a specific problem, then I offer to make it, and
charge a low sum for my time.

The short answer is, you just have to say no- and if they get mad,
that's their problem. People have to learn that some things are just
not for sale at any price, especially in our culture.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 10:33:31 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

Things exchanged among friends for barter can't be converted to money. So
long that each person thinks it's fair and it doesn't end up that you're
doing work every week on stuff you'd rather not fool with. I do know that
when I offer to do work for barter, the other person will trade more than I
would have asked for if I were the one to set the parameters on the deal.

A little addition to this, and my previous comments-

While some things can't be bought at any price, I usually bend over
backwards to help out someone who is willing to learn something about
making what they want, even if I lose money in the bargin. Same thing
goes for barter, as you noted above.

Just my experiences.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Mon, Dec 11, 2006, 9:04pm (Tom Watson) doth
lament:
Bindlestiff: snip of a sad tale

Jehovah's Witnesses. LOL I politely told them to get lost. It's

always fun, when you're in the right mood, with nothing better to do, to
bring out a chair, and sit and listen to them. NOT invite them in, not
bring out chairs for them, just sit and listen to them. For some reason
they never visit me anymore. LMAO

A personal anecdote about the sheer persistence of Jehovah's Witnesses that
gained my grudging respect:

In my varied careers, and at one point, it was my job to visit villages
along the coastline of Western Papua New Guinea and
try to convince the natives to leave our seismograph crew's offshore Shoran
navigation buoys alone.

Many of these natives had seen only a handful of white men and some were not
too friendly (it was shortly after Rockefeller's son disappeared, and I was
instructed to be on the lookout for signs of him).

I tried to search out the headman in each village (you could usually tell
him by the ballpoint pen in his sari or loincloth) and we generally ended up
in his hooch negotiating the terms of payment to leave our buoys alone.

In many cases, in this wild, uncharted at the time, coastline, very
difficult to access and visited by only the hardiest, most persistent and
arduous journey, I would find, by the presence of WatchTower tracts in the
headman's hooch, that the Jehovah Witnesses had just been there before me.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message

My tale is a bit funnier. My shop is small, so I normally leave
the double doors open. Ear muffs on, dust mask, face shield, table saw
going. Notice movement out of the corner of my eye. Here's a well
dressed couple, and and women. The woman's bounding up and down waving
her hand, practilly jumping clear of the ground. No telling how long
they'd been there. You can guess where this's going. Shut the saw off,
unmask, muffs off. "Can I help you?", I ask.

Jehovah's Witnesses. LOL I politely told them to get lost. It's
always fun, when you're in the right mood, with nothing better to do, to
bring out a chair, and sit and listen to them. NOT invite them in, not
bring out chairs for them, just sit and listen to them. For some reason
they never visit me anymore. LMAO

I like the people that see my garage door open, stop in front of my driveway
and honk their horns so that "I" can walk out there and give them
directions. One lady got ****ed when I did not get out there fast enough.
She got the wrong directions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Are you sure you are not mistaking that place for Arkansas? My nephew
works in Arkansas getting land owners to sign gas lease contracts. Sounds
like the same bunch of people. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:

Jehovah's Witnesses. LOL I politely told them to get lost. It's
always fun, when you're in the right mood, with nothing better to do, to
bring out a chair, and sit and listen to them. NOT invite them in, not
bring out chairs for them, just sit and listen to them. For some reason
they never visit me anymore. LMAO

It reminds me of the time I was putting a new exhaust system on one of
my cars. I had the car in the driveway on jack stands while I was
laying under it mounting the muffler. A group of JW's approached and
asked if I was busy??? I told them "No, I'm just under here trying to
get out of the sun." They proceeded to give me their "sales pitch".

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Are you sure you are not mistaking that place for Arkansas? My nephew
works in Arkansas getting land owners to sign gas lease contracts. Sounds
like the same bunch of people. ;~)

LOL ... now that you mention it, the same lack of educational materials and
condiments.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
J T wrote:

Jehovah's Witnesses. LOL I politely told them to get lost. It's
always fun, when you're in the right mood, with nothing better to do, to
bring out a chair, and sit and listen to them. NOT invite them in, not
bring out chairs for them, just sit and listen to them. For some reason
they never visit me anymore. LMAO

It reminds me of the time I was putting a new exhaust system on one of
my cars. I had the car in the driveway on jack stands while I was
laying under it mounting the muffler. A group of JW's approached and
asked if I was busy??? I told them "No, I'm just under here trying to
get out of the sun."

Ya should've handed them their sign.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Par Par is offline

J T :
Jehovah's Witnesses. LOL I politely told them to get lost. It's
always fun, when you're in the right mood, with nothing better to do, to
bring out a chair, and sit and listen to them. NOT invite them in, not
bring out chairs for them, just sit and listen to them. For some reason
they never visit me anymore. LMAO

One of the best I've ever heard was opening the door while a roleplaying
gang in the livning room (not seen from the door, but heard) was
discussing how to torture someone for vital information. The the gang
was all discussing the relative merits of inserting a red hot dagger
into the recipients urethra and creative uses of rodents, and the JWs
left hurridly.

/Par

--
Par
Mind Like A Steel Trap - Rusty And Illegal In 37 States
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Par" wrote in message
into the recipients urethra and creative uses of rodents, and the JWs
left hurridly.

I've got it easier than that. As soon as they see that I'm in a wheelchair,
they apologise for knocking on the wrong door. Up until the first time that
happened, I never realized how prejudicial they are.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 07:58:04 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Par" wrote in message
into the recipients urethra and creative uses of rodents, and the JWs
left hurridly.

I've got it easier than that. As soon as they see that I'm in a wheelchair,
they apologise for knocking on the wrong door. Up until the first time that
happened, I never realized how prejudicial they are.

The JW care about such things? So much for their Christian values.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:

Jehovah's Witnesses. LOL I politely told them to get lost.

A recent bio-engineering experiment crossed the genes of a Jehova's
Witness with a biker.

wait for it
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
He now knocks on your door and tells YOU to go screw yourself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George Max" wrote in message

I've got it easier than that. As soon as they see that I'm in a

wheelchair,
they apologise for knocking on the wrong door. Up until the first time

that
happened, I never realized how prejudicial they are.

The JW care about such things? So much for their Christian values.

I believe they're only interested in people that can contribute to their
organization and don't have anything to do with people who they believe
might need some form of support. They must have been jumping with joyful
bliss when they got their hooks into Tom Cruise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

I believe they're only interested in people that can contribute to their
organization and don't have anything to do with people who they believe
might need some form of support. They must have been jumping with joyful
bliss when they got their hooks into Tom Cruise.

I am sure there is a bell curve of both the good and the bad, as in any
organization, religious or otherwise. I dated a girl who was JW back in my
youth and one could only wish that there were more upstanding families like
those particular folks around in this day and age.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

I am sure there is a bell curve of both the good and the bad, as in any
organization, religious or otherwise. I dated a girl who was JW back in my
youth and one could only wish that there were more upstanding families

like
those particular folks around in this day and age.

Possibly. Where I live might have a great deal to do with attitudes. I
effectively live in downtown Toronto and one doesn't have to look very far
to find individuals that it would be preferable to avoid if at all possible.
And, I think you'd agree that attitudes are vastly different these days than
they were when you or I were youths.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:22:30 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"George Max" wrote in message

I've got it easier than that. As soon as they see that I'm in a

wheelchair,
they apologise for knocking on the wrong door. Up until the first time

that
happened, I never realized how prejudicial they are.

The JW care about such things? So much for their Christian values.

I believe they're only interested in people that can contribute to their
organization and don't have anything to do with people who they believe
might need some form of support. They must have been jumping with joyful
bliss when they got their hooks into Tom Cruise.

I think Tom Cruise is a member of the Church of Scientology, not the
JW.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message

So you can't contribute? What happens then when one of 'em gets
sick, and needs support? They kick their asses out, or just take 'em on
to the back forty, shoot 'em, and bury 'em? Doesn't make sense. So Tom
Cruise joined them? I thought he'd just gone nuts. Maybe the same
thing.

Maybe when they saw Upscale in a wheel chair they really meant that they
must be at the wrong door - maybe the person they were looking for was not
wheelchair bound.

Those are only part of the reasons I don't believe in religion.
And the Woodworking Gods are with me 100% on that..

So, if the actions of the individuals of an organization are merit for
dismissing the organization, you must really hate the human race...

--

-Mike-

Geeze - can't believe I came this close to actually defending the JW.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Par" wrote in message
into the recipients urethra and creative uses of rodents, and the JWs
left hurridly.

I've got it easier than that. As soon as they see that I'm in a wheelchair,
they apologise for knocking on the wrong door. Up until the first time that
happened, I never realized how prejudicial they are.

The JW care about such things? So much for their Christian values.

JW's are NOT Christians. Not even close.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" writes:

"J T" wrote in message

So you can't contribute? What happens then when one of 'em gets
sick, and needs support? They kick their asses out, or just take 'em on
to the back forty, shoot 'em, and bury 'em? Doesn't make sense. So Tom
Cruise joined them? I thought he'd just gone nuts. Maybe the same
thing.

Maybe when they saw Upscale in a wheel chair they really meant that they
must be at the wrong door - maybe the person they were looking for was not
wheelchair bound.

Those are only part of the reasons I don't believe in religion.
And the Woodworking Gods are with me 100% on that..

So, if the actions of the individuals of an organization are merit for
dismissing the organization, you must really hate the human race...

So are the actions of the individuals of the KKK (an organization)
merit for dismissing that organization?

Religion is the biggest problem the world will face in the next
century.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
et...
"Mike Marlow" writes:

So, if the actions of the individuals of an organization are merit for
dismissing the organization, you must really hate the human race...

So are the actions of the individuals of the KKK (an organization)
merit for dismissing that organization?

That would be correct. It's the prinicples of the KKK that merit its
dismissal as an organization.

Religion is the biggest problem the world will face in the next
century.

Au contraire - there is absolutely nothing wrong with religion. It's the
people in the religions that are the problem. They are the same people that
one finds in the human race. If it were not for religion, mankind would
simply find some other justification for those problems you foretell.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

So, if the actions of the individuals of an organization are merit for
dismissing the organization, you must really hate the human race...

Lemme see here... we've done the Dubya thing, 2 or 3 wire 220, Sawstop,
left vs right tilt saw and now religion.

I have an opinion on religion(s): there are assholes in all religions.
There is more strife between Christian factions than any other
religion.

Rob does not believe in organized crime, organized religion or
organized tours.

If we all drew a 500 meter circle around us and took care of those
within that circle, the world would be a better place.
Having said that, there will likely be an asshole who thinks that
circle should be 477.3 meters.

*shrugs*

Gore and Obama 2008.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"George Max" wrote in message

I've got it easier than that. As soon as they see that I'm in a

wheelchair,
they apologise for knocking on the wrong door. Up until the first time

that
happened, I never realized how prejudicial they are.

The JW care about such things? So much for their Christian values.

I believe they're only interested in people that can contribute to their
organization and don't have anything to do with people who they believe
might need some form of support. They must have been jumping with joyful
bliss when they got their hooks into Tom Cruise.

I think Tom Cruise is a member of the Church of Scientology, not the
JW.

Yep. The Jehova's Witnesses and the Mormons are the people you usually
find at your door at inopportune moments. Both of them are sorta kinda
Christian--the Witnesses disagree with the mainstream on a large number of
points, while the Mormons believe that they have had a separate
revelation beyond what is in the Bible. The Christian Scientists are the
folks who publish a first-class newspaper and don't believe in medicine.
The Scientologists are the, well, nuts like Tom Cruise who believe in
Xenu and that humans are descended from clams and that doesn't believe in
psychiatry but doesn't have any trouble with any other branch of medicine.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...

If we all drew a 500 meter circle around us and took care of those
within that circle, the world would be a better place.
Having said that, there will likely be an asshole who thinks that
circle should be 477.3 meters.

And just imagine the battles between the 500m circle groups. There'd be the
left tilt's the right tilt's, the undecided's, the...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" writes:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
. net...
"Mike Marlow" writes:

So, if the actions of the individuals of an organization are merit for
dismissing the organization, you must really hate the human race...

So are the actions of the individuals of the KKK (an organization)
merit for dismissing that organization?

That would be correct. It's the prinicples of the KKK that merit its
dismissal as an organization.

Religion is the biggest problem the world will face in the next
century.

Au contraire - there is absolutely nothing wrong with religion. It's the
people in the religions that are the problem. They are the same people that
one finds in the human race. If it were not for religion, mankind would
simply find some other justification for those problems you foretell.

If there were only one religion, I'd be tempted to agree. However,
there are multiple, fundamentally incompatible religions. So long as
that is the case, religion will be the source of much strife. Everyone
thinks that their religion is "revealed truth" and any other is apostacy.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" writes:

[...]

Which supports my case. Religion is not different than politics. Differing
view/allegiances/beliefs, zealots, and human nature underlying it all. It's
not religion, it's the people in religion. The multiplicity of religion
does not diminish the point. One religion or one hundred thousand, it still
comes down to human nature. As I said in another post, remove religion and
humans will still find a way to carry on their antics against one another.

Hell - just look at what goes on here in a usenet newsgroup. Religion does
not even have to enter the picture. Look back over the past month of posts.
You'll see plenty of human nature at work.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Which supports my case. Religion is not different than politics.
Differing
view/allegiances/beliefs, zealots, and human nature underlying it all.
It's
not religion, it's the people in religion. The multiplicity of religion
does not diminish the point. One religion or one hundred thousand, it
still
comes down to human nature. As I said in another post, remove religion
and
humans will still find a way to carry on their antics against one another.

Hell - just look at what goes on here in a usenet newsgroup. Religion
does
not even have to enter the picture. Look back over the past month of
posts.
You'll see plenty of human nature at work.

I think the psychobabble people call what you're doing "projection." You
ascribe to others the same rigidity you're displaying. They believe, you
believe. Where you differ, you expect them to become enlightened and accept
your point of view. It's not about the facts, it's about truth, two very
different things. Truth is the personal interpretation of the facts, and is
often in conflict with them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...

If we all drew a 500 meter circle around us and took care of those
within that circle, the world would be a better place.
Having said that, there will likely be an asshole who thinks that
circle should be 477.3 meters.

And just imagine the battles between the 500m circle groups. There'd be the
left tilt's the right tilt's, the undecided's, the...

And I saw Dubya tilt to the right and stop.
me and Britney 2008
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Dec 2006 20:00:21 GMT, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:12:49 -0600, George Max wrote:

I think Tom Cruise is a member of the Church of Scientology, not the
JW.

Yep. The Jehova's Witnesses and the Mormons are the people you usually
find at your door at inopportune moments. Both of them are sorta kinda
Christian--the Witnesses disagree with the mainstream on a large number of
points, while the Mormons believe that they have had a separate
revelation beyond what is in the Bible. The Christian Scientists are the
folks who publish a first-class newspaper and don't believe in medicine.
The Scientologists are the, well, nuts like Tom Cruise who believe in
Xenu and that humans are descended from clams and that doesn't believe in
psychiatry but doesn't have any trouble with any other branch of medicine.

Being a Mormon could be kinda fun if you get to have multiple wives.

(just kidding)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George Max" wrote in message

I think Tom Cruise is a member of the Church of Scientology, not the
JW.

Yes, you're right. I had Church of Scientology on my mind because I remember
going into one of their buildings near where I live and asking if I could
use their phone and was promptly refused.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:54:21 +0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:

"Mike Marlow" writes:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
.net...
"Mike Marlow" writes:

[...]

You might want to look up the word "apostacy" in a good dictionary. If
you're a Catholic and you decide to quit being a Catholic and become, say,
a Shinto, then you've committed apostacy, rejecting the church to which
you belong. If you were always a Shinto and stayed a
Shinto then there is no apostacy because you did not reject the teachings
of a church of which you were a member.

Believing that you have revealed truth and believing that you have a right
to impose that truth on others are two different things. Some religions
try to do that, others don't.

As for "religion" being the source of much strife, it is not religion, but
the "if you're not with us you're the enemy" attitude that one sees all
over the Internet in regard to matters unrelated to religion--look at all
the "Mac vs PC", "Linux vs the Windows", "gun control" and "Bush vs
anybody who doesn't like Bush" discussions in which reason is abandoned
early on. The only difference between them and Osama vs anybody who
doesn't practice his own particular loony-tune version of Islam is that
they for the most part don't have the skills or the balls to kill the
people who disagree with them.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:12:49 -0600, George Max wrote:

I think Tom Cruise is a member of the Church of Scientology, not the
JW.

Yep. The Jehova's Witnesses and the Mormons are the people you usually
find at your door at inopportune moments. Both of them are sorta kinda
Christian--the Witnesses disagree with the mainstream on a large number of
points, while the Mormons believe that they have had a separate
revelation beyond what is in the Bible. The Christian Scientists are the
folks who publish a first-class newspaper and don't believe in medicine.
The Scientologists are the, well, nuts like Tom Cruise who believe in
Xenu and that humans are descended from clams and that doesn't believe in
psychiatry but doesn't have any trouble with any other branch of medicine.

Being a Mormon could be kinda fun if you get to have multiple wives.

Geez, one is bad enough.

(just kidding)

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:18:19 -0800, jo4hn wrote:

J T wrote:
Mon, Dec 11, 2006, 9:04pm (Tom Watson) doth
lament:
Bindlestiff: snip of a sad tale
[more snippage]

Jehovah's Witnesses. LOL I politely told them to get lost. It's
always fun, when you're in the right mood, with nothing better to do, to
bring out a chair, and sit and listen to them. NOT invite them in, not
bring out chairs for them, just sit and listen to them. For some reason
they never visit me anymore. LMAO

JOAT
I am, therefore I think.

Once upon a time, I owned a Fiat. One of Italy's finest [fill in the
blank]. One cold, misty, and altogether miserable day, I was under the
car trying to fix something or other. The wrench slipped off the bolt
and I crunched a knuckle or two on some unforgiving piece of steel. Now
I am rubbing dirt and grease into my wounds to staunch the bleeding
while my mouth is expressing my dismay in some of my finest, most
obscene curses of the car, the day and my bad luck. Some motion caught
my eye and I turned to the side to see two pairs of nicely shined shoes
and the bottoms of well pressed trousers. I rolled out from under the
car to snarl at two JWs with eyes like saucers and mouths agape. One
finally found his voice long enough to apologize for their bad timing.
I said something like "no ****, Little Beaver" and they hurried off.
Made the day a little better.

I believe I've told the story of Mustafa here before, but people seem to
like it so I'll repeat it.

At one time I was an active target shooter. A friend and I had planned a
day at the range. As soon as we got set up, it started to rain. Hard.
One of those rains where the targets turned to mush and you couldn't see
them from the line anyway. So we decided to hang it up and went home.
On the way to the parking area I slipped in the mud. At the time I had
hair down to my ass, beard, etc, most of it not very well maintained.

We got to my place, he went in first, I went after, bringing both our
armamentariums for the purpose of cleaning them. I closed the door, took
three steps, and there came the dreaded knock. I turned, and opened the
door, mud from head to toe, bearded, long haired, unkempt, not in a
particularly good mood, and festooned with a small arsenal. It was the
Witnesses. For some reason the Muse was upon me that day and I turned and
yelled in a mock Middle Eastern accent toward the back of the apartment
"Hey, Mus-ta-FA, want to discuss religion with the infidel?" I turned
around. There was a shoe.

Didn't see another JW again until I had moved to another state halfway
across the country.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it was "J. Clarke" who stated:

You might want to look up the word "apostacy" in a good dictionary. If
you're a Catholic and you decide to quit being a Catholic and become, say,
a Shinto, then you've committed apostacy, rejecting the church to which
you belong. If you were always a Shinto and stayed a
Shinto then there is no apostacy because you did not reject the teachings
of a church of which you were a member.

So THAT's what I did when I stopped being Lutheran and took up with
the Pastafarians (Bless His Noodly Appendage).

I'm glad you told me about that -- ARRRRRR!

-Don (wondering what this has to do with
woodworking, but not worried 'bout it)
--
"Trust me, there is NO way to nonchalantly conceal the fact that you have a
power tool in your head, no matter what you do." -- El Gato