Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Pearls Before the Swine

"Swingman" wrote in message
A personal anecdote about the sheer persistence of Jehovah's Witnesses
that
gained my grudging respect:

In my varied careers, and at one point, it was my job to visit villages
along the coastline of Western Papua New Guinea and
try to convince the natives to leave our seismograph crew's offshore
Shoran
navigation buoys alone.

Many of these natives had seen only a handful of white men and some were
not
too friendly (it was shortly after Rockefeller's son disappeared, and I
was
instructed to be on the lookout for signs of him).

I tried to search out the headman in each village (you could usually tell
him by the ballpoint pen in his sari or loincloth) and we generally ended
up
in his hooch negotiating the terms of payment to leave our buoys alone.

Are you sure you are not mistaking that place for Arkansas? My nephew
works in Arkansas getting land owners to sign gas lease contracts. Sounds
like the same bunch of people. ;~)