George

Default Semi-OT What's Wrong Here?

SWMBO and I go up to the "big city" to Menards today - plumbing, don't ask -
and since she's still in a chair from a broken tib/fib, we can use the blue
spots.

Though they're always empty when I don't have the mirror hanger, today
they're full. Goes without saying. Most even have a sticker, including a
Corvette in front of the exit door.

A CORVETTE??????

Clint

I'm trying to see what your point is. Handicapped (or whatever the PC term
is) shouldn't have Corvettes? Seriously, I don't understand, besides a bit
of venting about all the handicap spots being filled.

Up here in Canada, the number of handicap stickers in use has tripled in the
last 10 years or so. Doctors seem willing to sign for almost anyone. As an
example, an acquaintance of mine had arthroscopic knee surgery, and ended up
getting a sticker for 6 months. Couldn't understand that one, myself. But
he was quite proud of himself.

Clint

"George" wrote in message
SWMBO and I go up to the "big city" to Menards today - plumbing, don't
ask -
and since she's still in a chair from a broken tib/fib, we can use the
blue
spots.

Though they're always empty when I don't have the mirror hanger, today
they're full. Goes without saying. Most even have a sticker, including a
Corvette in front of the exit door.

A CORVETTE??????

Jaime Littlebeaver

"Clint" wrote in

I'm trying to see what your point is. Handicapped (or whatever the PC
term is) shouldn't have Corvettes? Seriously, I don't understand,
besides a bit of venting about all the handicap spots being filled.

Up here in Canada, the number of handicap stickers in use has tripled
in the last 10 years or so. Doctors seem willing to sign for almost
anyone. As an example, an acquaintance of mine had arthroscopic knee
surgery, and ended up getting a sticker for 6 months. Couldn't
understand that one, myself. But he was quite proud of himself.
_________________________________________________ ___________________

Just because the handicap is not blatently apparent does not mean that it
is not truly a handicap!

It has always been my belief that someone who uses a "handicapped spot" and
isn't qualified by reason of not being truly hadicapped has the worst
handicap of all_____"lack of compassion for their fellow man"!
Patriarch

"George" wrote in :

SWMBO and I go up to the "big city" to Menards today - plumbing, don't
ask - and since she's still in a chair from a broken tib/fib, we can
use the blue spots.

Though they're always empty when I don't have the mirror hanger, today
they're full. Goes without saying. Most even have a sticker,
including a Corvette in front of the exit door.

A CORVETTE??????

A fellow comes into the woodworking store on Thursday afternoon, nice
looking guy, in a wheelchair, wearing a Harley Davidson tank top. He's got
longish hair, and looks like he knows his way around the wheelchair from
long experience. Buys $20 worth of hardware thingies for his project, and
rolls out to the lot, where he proceeds to load the chair into a case on
the back of his three-wheel Harley with hand controls, and ease on down the
road, big grin catching bugs. What handicap?

Corvettes are for wimps.

Patriarch,
hoping George's wife feels better soon...
Edwin Pawlowski

"George" wrote in message

Though they're always empty when I don't have the mirror hanger, today
they're full. Goes without saying. Most even have a sticker, including a
Corvette in front of the exit door.

A CORVETTE??????

Why not? Any logical reason a handicapped person cannot drive a sports car?
Luxury car? Truck? Having a heart or lung disease does not mean you have
to drive a ten year old sedan.

My wife has a blue hanger. Sometimes we use it, sometimes not. Sometimes we
intentionally park at the end of the lot and enjoy the walk. Other days she
care barely make it to the door from the handicapped places. Since your
wife is in a chair, all you have to do is push her a little further. What
is the problem with that? I've done that many times when my MIL was still
alive.

You sir, should be thankful you are in good health and that your wife will
recover. Others that may look normal, don't know if they will wake up
tomorrow morning. Please don't deny them a Corvette if they can afford it.
..

Odinn

On 7/2/2005 8:07 PM Patriarch mumbled something about the following:
"George" wrote in :

[...]

There's several of us who ride motorcycles with handicapped plates. Are
we handicapped, depends on what you consider a handicap. I'm unable to
stand for long periods of time, or walk long distances (bad back, broken
in 1986, and bad knees), but I can ride a bike just fine.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
charlie b

George wrote:

SWMBO and I go up to the "big city" to Menards today - plumbing, don't ask -
and since she's still in a chair from a broken tib/fib, we can use the blue
spots.

Though they're always empty when I don't have the mirror hanger, today
they're full. Goes without saying. Most even have a sticker, including a
Corvette in front of the exit door.

A CORVETTE??????

Accident
Insurance Settlement Check
Corvette
(now does it make sense?)

charlie b
John Keeney

"Clint" wrote in message
I'm trying to see what your point is. Handicapped (or whatever the PC

term
is) shouldn't have Corvettes? Seriously, I don't understand, besides a

bit
of venting about all the handicap spots being filled.

Up here in Canada, the number of handicap stickers in use has tripled in

the
last 10 years or so. Doctors seem willing to sign for almost anyone. As

an
example, an acquaintance of mine had arthroscopic knee surgery, and ended

up
getting a sticker for 6 months. Couldn't understand that one, myself.

But
he was quite proud of himself.

I've got the permanent tags on my car from back when I was taking
care of a disabled brother. About the only time I've parked in a marked
space since he died four years ago was when I took my sister -who
also hobbles- on a trip last summer. I've not been able to convince
the license bureau that I don't need them any more.
Kind of got a few laughs when they came looking for the car's owner
to move it out of the LZ during a training exercise.

"George" wrote in message
SWMBO and I go up to the "big city" to Menards today - plumbing, don't
ask -
and since she's still in a chair from a broken tib/fib, we can use the
blue
spots.

Though they're always empty when I don't have the mirror hanger, today
they're full. Goes without saying. Most even have a sticker, including

Corvette in front of the exit door.

A CORVETTE??????

Upscale

"John Keeney" wrote in message
also hobbles- on a trip last summer. I've not been able to convince
the license bureau that I don't need them any more.

And why should you need them anymore? Disabled parking tags (in Canada a
least) are assigned to the person that has the disability. You can use a tag
if and when you're transporting a disabled person around, but not any other
time, even if the vehicle belongs to a disabled person.

Upscale

"John Keeney" wrote in message
also hobbles- on a trip last summer. I've not been able to convince
the license bureau that I don't need them any more.

My mistake. I misread your message.

George

"charlie b" wrote in message
George wrote:

SWMBO and I go up to the "big city" to Menards today - plumbing, don't

ask -
and since she's still in a chair from a broken tib/fib, we can use the

blue
spots.

Though they're always empty when I don't have the mirror hanger, today
they're full. Goes without saying. Most even have a sticker, including

Corvette in front of the exit door.

A CORVETTE??????

Accident
Insurance Settlement Check
Corvette
(now does it make sense?)

But why contort in and out of a corvette? Certainly not comfortable.

Imagine it's as some said, not the type of disability you'd even recognize.

Still, a red corvette looks strange among all those white cadillacs....

Upscale

"George" wrote in message

But why contort in and out of a corvette? Certainly not comfortable.

Agreed. I've got a few friends with sports cars and although I know I could
get in them if I really wanted to, it would be a hell of an effort to get
out of them. That's aside from the fact that there would be no room for my
wheelchair anyway, (even if I dissembled it)

One brand of car I've been looking at lately are the smart cars. Doors seem
big enough for me to get in and out and they're low enough to the ground
that I wouldn't have to climb in. I've been considering that kind of
modifications I'd need to get my folding wheelchair in and out.

Unquestionably Confused

George wrote:

But why contort in and out of a corvette? Certainly not comfortable.

Imagine it's as some said, not the type of disability you'd even recognize.

Still, a red corvette looks strange among all those white cadillacs....

As do the jacked up 4x4 Pickemup Trucks with the giant tires while
parked at the local bowling alley in the handicapped spaces.

Swingman

"George" wrote in message

Still, a red corvette looks strange among all those white cadillacs....

Depends upon where you live. A casual observer around here would suspect
that the HC stickers either come with the title, or with your/your spouses
law degree.

Seems most every Mercedes/BMW/Lexus in the local shopping center sports one
.... often driven by the trophy wife, complete with crotch hair hugging
spandex exercise shorts (and sometimes the Master of the Universe himself,
very possibly in the _same_ shorts), who parks and _runs_ in to get
Margarita mix.

What a great country ... where you can be illiterate and still drive such
nice automobiles (judging by the number of these same luxury egomobiles,
routinely parked in clearly marked "no parking" areas).

.... the practice, like many of the other scofflaw attitudes in this culture,
is endemic.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Charlie Self

Swingman wrote:
"George" wrote in message

[...]

but sometimes, you gotta check it out. Some time ago, a young (by my
standards) woman with a superb butt rammed her
Expedition/Excursion/Excuse Me into a handicapped space, leapt down
with touching the sill, and trotted into Winn Dixie. I was going in at
the time, so I knew she occupied that space at least for the 30 minutes
I was inside.

I told my wife about it. She knew, or knew of, the woman. Turns out,
she really was handicapped, unable to read correctly, because her coke
habit kept her awake nights. The Winn Dixie store and the young lady
are both gone now, for the same reason: mismanagement.

Upscale

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

I told my wife about it. She knew, or knew of, the woman. Turns out,
she really was handicapped, unable to read correctly, because her coke
habit kept her awake nights. The Winn Dixie store and the young lady
are both gone now, for the same reason: mismanagement.

That sounds a little off Charlie. Don't know about down in the US, but up
here in Canada, disability parking permits are for the *mobility* impaired
or for those who might have difficulty walking limited distances because of
certain physical conditions. There's a number of disabilities that do not
entitle one to a parking permit. vision being one of them. Maybe it's
different in the US? I would also suggest that having trouble reading (such
as street signs or warning signs) would also prevent someone from being
licensed to drive.

All of that aside, up here in Canada too, the medical profession is almost
universally too quick to sign the forms allowing someone to obtain a permit.
I've seen it happen repeatedly and I lobby against it at every opportunity.
The worst that happens is when one doctor refuses to complete a parking
permit form for a patient, that person simply goes to another doctor. The
original doctor often loses that patient as a client as well.

Leon

"Clint" wrote in message
I'm trying to see what your point is. Handicapped (or whatever the PC
term is) shouldn't have Corvettes? Seriously, I don't understand, besides
a bit of venting about all the handicap spots being filled.

Umm I think the point is that if you are able to crawl in and out of a
Corvette you are probably just as capable as the rest of us of walking from
a regular parking spot. ;~)

Leon

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message

Though they're always empty when I don't have the mirror hanger, today
they're full. Goes without saying. Most even have a sticker, including
Corvette in front of the exit door.

A CORVETTE??????

Why not? Any logical reason a handicapped person cannot drive a sports
car? Luxury car? Truck? Having a heart or lung disease does not mean
you have to drive a ten year old sedan.

LOL. When was the last YOU crawled into of out of a Corvette? I think if
you can do that you may not be as handicapped as your tag indicates.

Leon

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

I told my wife about it. She knew, or knew of, the woman. Turns out,
she really was handicapped, unable to read correctly, because her coke
habit kept her awake nights. The Winn Dixie store and the young lady
are both gone now, for the same reason: mismanagement.

That sounds a little off Charlie. Don't know about down in the US, but up
here in Canada, disability parking permits are for the *mobility* impaired
or for those who might have difficulty walking limited distances because
of
certain physical conditions.

LOL. Which bets the question, what is a mobility impaired person doing
shopping in a huge Borg building. Perhaps they should be allowed to drive
through. I never could understand handicap parking in front of Large
stores. The walk from the parking lot to the store is no where near the
walk ahead of them once they get inside.

Unquestionably Confused

"George" wrote in message

Though they're always empty when I don't have the mirror hanger, today
they're full. Goes without saying. Most even have a sticker, including
Corvette in front of the exit door.

A CORVETTE??????

LOL. When was the last YOU crawled into of out of a Corvette? I think if
you can do that you may not be as handicapped as your tag indicates.

Exactly! You don't sit in a Corvette, you WEAR it! If you can get into
or out of a Corvette without assistance, you can damn sure walk a few
extra parking spaces.

What really frosts me is the woodenheaded ash-holes (just to get back on
topic) who roll up and park in the handicapped zone, properly displaying
the tag or plate, and stroll into the store while leaving the
handicapped person (obviously so) sitting in the car or van. It's meant
to be a convenience, life-saver for the handicapped person, NOT the
person who happens to be riding with them.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Leon" wrote in message

Umm I think the point is that if you are able to crawl in and out of a
Corvette you are probably just as capable as the rest of us of walking
from a regular parking spot. ;~)

Yes, but . . . . . That point is just plain flat WRONG. Getting in and
out of a car is far different that walking when you have a heart problem of
COPD and the humidity is 99%. My MIL was agile enough to get in and out of
any car, but her lung cancer would not allow her to walk more than 50 feet.
No, the OP was just a narrow minded individual uneducated in the problems
others have in their daily lives. I hope he remains healthy.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Upscale" wrote in message
One brand of car I've been looking at lately are the smart cars. Doors
seem
big enough for me to get in and out and they're low enough to the ground
that I wouldn't have to climb in. I've been considering that kind of
modifications I'd need to get my folding wheelchair in and out.

I saw a good setup the other day. A car (Buick Century) pulled into the
parking spot and had a carrier on top that looked like the pods people use
for luggage on a vacation. From the driver's seat he was able to open it,
have the chair come down right at the door and shift himself into it.

Leon

"Leon" wrote in message

Umm I think the point is that if you are able to crawl in and out of a
Corvette you are probably just as capable as the rest of us of walking
from a regular parking spot. ;~)

Yes, but . . . . . That point is just plain flat WRONG. Getting in and
out of a car is far different that walking when you have a heart problem
of COPD and the humidity is 99%. My MIL was agile enough to get in and
out of any car, but her lung cancer would not allow her to walk more than
50 feet. No, the OP was just a narrow minded individual uneducated in the
problems others have in their daily lives. I hope he remains healthy.

I understand your point but some of the vehicles parked in those spots just
seem out of place.

nospambob

As I was walking toward a chain drugstore a man parked at the red
painted curb marked FIRE LANE and locked his car and I commented
"Plenty of parking places in the lot" and he replied "I'm only going
to be a minute" to which I responded "Even the handicapped" and he
said "I'm not handicapped" and I commented "You certainly are mentally
handicapped!".

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:02:57 -0400, "George" wrote:

SWMBO and I go up to the "big city" to Menards today - plumbing, don't ask -
and since she's still in a chair from a broken tib/fib, we can use the blue
spots.

Though they're always empty when I don't have the mirror hanger, today
they're full. Goes without saying. Most even have a sticker, including a
Corvette in front of the exit door.

A CORVETTE??????

Bob G.

A fellow comes into the woodworking store on Thursday afternoon, nice
looking guy, in a wheelchair, wearing a Harley Davidson tank top. He's got
longish hair, and looks like he knows his way around the wheelchair from
long experience. Buys $20 worth of hardware thingies for his project, and
rolls out to the lot, where he proceeds to load the chair into a case on
the back of his three-wheel Harley with hand controls, and ease on down the
road, big grin catching bugs. What handicap?

Corvettes are for wimps.

Patriarch,
hoping George's wife feels better soon...

================
Yea... I have to admit that I stopped riding Motorcycles a long time
ago... (15 or so years) and I "wimped out" and now "play" with
Corvettes... (64,72,76,79, & 95 and looking for a used Z06 to add to
the fleet)...

BUT I do have serious claudication in my left leg and have and use a
Handicap sticker...on level ground I can walk pain free for a couple
of hundred yards max...up hill walking is much less..then the muscles
start cramping because of lack of oxygen...and I stop..
wait...hurt...wait...feel the blood feeding my muscles then start
walking agian... thank the good lord I have no problems working a
clutch

BUT I really can not remember ever driving a Corvette to Home Depot
or Lowes etc....2 reasons...some ass hole may breath on the car...and
us "anal" Vette owners could not have that...I can't haul many 1x6's
in any of the Corvettes... even with the top down...

BUT the original posters comments are true...I preceive that many
people see me park in a handicaped space hop out of my truck and walk
into a store and think this guy is NOT handicaped....!

Bob Griffiths

Bob G.

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 14:26:16 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Umm I think the point is that if you are able to crawl in and out of a
Corvette you are probably just as capable as the rest of us of walking from
a regular parking spot. ;~)

=====================
Ok... I do have a Handicap (walking is limited to a few hundred yards
max ) But I do own and drive 5 Corvettes and to be truthful I really
can not understand why people think they as so hard to get in and out
of...

The c4 Corvettes (84-96 models) are I admit a royal pain sometimes
( where you can not open the door all the way) to get out of since you
sit below the bottom odge of the door sill...BUT any of the other
generagions are just as easy to get in and out of as a Cadilac ... In
fact I drove my 72 or 64 Convertible all the time before I had back
surgury because I could "DROP" into them...much less painful then
gettin in my truck...

Bob Griffiths
George

"Leon" wrote in message

Umm I think the point is that if you are able to crawl in and out of a
Corvette you are probably just as capable as the rest of us of walking
from a regular parking spot. ;~)

Yes, but . . . . . That point is just plain flat WRONG. Getting in and
out of a car is far different that walking when you have a heart problem

of
COPD and the humidity is 99%. My MIL was agile enough to get in and out

of
any car, but her lung cancer would not allow her to walk more than 50

feet.
No, the OP was just a narrow minded individual uneducated in the problems
others have in their daily lives. I hope he remains healthy.

Full of it. I have seen and cared for more people with problems than (I
hope) you'll ever see.

I'm a medic.

Odinn

On 7/3/2005 11:33 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:

"Leon" wrote in message

Umm I think the point is that if you are able to crawl in and out of a
Corvette you are probably just as capable as the rest of us of walking
from a regular parking spot. ;~)

Yes, but . . . . . That point is just plain flat WRONG. Getting in and
out of a car is far different that walking when you have a heart problem
of COPD and the humidity is 99%. My MIL was agile enough to get in and
out of any car, but her lung cancer would not allow her to walk more than
50 feet. No, the OP was just a narrow minded individual uneducated in the
problems others have in their daily lives. I hope he remains healthy.

I understand your point but some of the vehicles parked in those spots just
seem out of place.

Seem out of place for what? Is my motorcycle out of place for being in
a handicapped spot? A Hummer? A Lotus Elan? Those of us who are
handicapped in whatever capacity should still be allowed to own the
vehicles we wish to own.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)
SLUG

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Odinn

On 7/3/2005 10:28 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:

"George" wrote in message

Though they're always empty when I don't have the mirror hanger, today
they're full. Goes without saying. Most even have a sticker, including
Corvette in front of the exit door.

A CORVETTE??????

Why not? Any logical reason a handicapped person cannot drive a sports
car? Luxury car? Truck? Having a heart or lung disease does not mean
you have to drive a ten year old sedan.

LOL. When was the last YOU crawled into of out of a Corvette? I think if
you can do that you may not be as handicapped as your tag indicates.

I think you are as stupid as you sound.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)
SLUG

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Leon

"Odinn" wrote in message

Seem out of place for what? Is my motorcycle out of place for being in a
handicapped spot? A Hummer? A Lotus Elan? Those of us who are
handicapped in whatever capacity should still be allowed to own the
vehicles we wish to own.

Out of place for the perceived activity required to get in and out of such a
vehicle. I am handicapped also but would not expect a special parking
permit because half my thumb is missing. Seem to me that many of the
vehicles require more effort to get into and out of than walking a little
farther like the rest of us.
And, I don't think you should be limited to driving any particular vehicle
but if you have the flexibility to get into and out of some of the tougher
vehicles the walk up to the store should not bother you either in most
cases.
IMHO the spaces should be reserved to those that really do have a hard time
getting around.

Leon

"Bob G." wrote in message
The c4 Corvettes (84-96 models) are I admit a royal pain sometimes
( where you can not open the door all the way) to get out of since you
sit below the bottom odge of the door sill...BUT any of the other
generagions are just as easy to get in and out of as a Cadilac ... In
fact I drove my 72 or 64 Convertible all the time before I had back
surgury because I could "DROP" into them...much less painful then
gettin in my truck...

The Corvette's proximity to the ground is much lower than a Cadillac. If
you have weak or bad knees, you will have a harder time getting in and out
of a Corvette than a Cadillac.

Leon

"Odinn" wrote in message
I think you are as stupid as you sound.

The feeling is mutual.

Odinn

On 7/3/2005 3:40 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:
"Odinn" wrote in message

[...]

So, a person who has trouble breathing and can't walk very far should be
limited to a vehicle that isn't a motorcycle or a corvette? You are dense.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)
SLUG

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Odinn

On 7/3/2005 3:43 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:
"Bob G." wrote in message

The c4 Corvettes (84-96 models) are I admit a royal pain sometimes
( where you can not open the door all the way) to get out of since you
sit below the bottom odge of the door sill...BUT any of the other
generagions are just as easy to get in and out of as a Cadilac ... In
fact I drove my 72 or 64 Convertible all the time before I had back
surgury because I could "DROP" into them...much less painful then
gettin in my truck...

The Corvette's proximity to the ground is much lower than a Cadillac. If
you have weak or bad knees, you will have a harder time getting in and out
of a Corvette than a Cadillac.

You've obviously never gotten into our out of a recent Corvette, they're
easier to get in and out of than my Stratus.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)
SLUG

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Odinn

On 7/3/2005 3:45 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:
"Odinn" wrote in message

I think you are as stupid as you sound.

The feeling is mutual.

You're the one proclaiming that a handicapped person shouldn't drive a
Corvette.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)
SLUG

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Leon

"Odinn" wrote in message
On 7/3/2005 3:43 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:

You've obviously never gotten into our out of a recent Corvette, they're
easier to get in and out of than my Stratus.

Well you obviously do not have bad knees. Simply getting up from a low
sitting position is more difficult than standing up from a higher sitting
position. I have sat in plenty of Corvettes, I retired from the automotive
industry selling GM vehicles, parts and service. They are not as easy to
get out of as a full sized car or truck.

Leon

"Odinn" wrote in message

You're the one proclaiming that a handicapped person shouldn't drive a
Corvette.

No, I have simply indicated that if you have no problem getting in and out
of a Corvette you probably won't have trouble walking an extra 150' to get
into the store like the rest of us. The walk inside the Borg that the OP
used as an example is normally going to make the parking lot walk seem
pretty short by comparison. The fact is, probably 90% of those people
driving vehicles that require more effort to get in and out of would suffer
no ill effects by walking a bit farther. I do admit that the there are
exceptions but I seldom witness people parking in handicap spots moving any
slower than I do.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)
SLUG

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Charlie Self

Leon wrote:
"Odinn" wrote in message

You're the one proclaiming that a handicapped person shouldn't drive a
Corvette.

No, I have simply indicated that if you have no problem getting in and out
of a Corvette you probably won't have trouble walking an extra 150' to get
into the store like the rest of us. The walk inside the Borg that the OP
used as an example is normally going to make the parking lot walk seem
pretty short by comparison. The fact is, probably 90% of those people
driving vehicles that require more effort to get in and out of would suffer
no ill effects by walking a bit farther. I do admit that the there are
exceptions but I seldom witness people parking in handicap spots moving any
slower than I do.

There are a lot of heart and lung and other ailments that don't make
flexibility difficult but that do make walking too far dangerous. Loss
of flexibility, loss of limbs, loss of use of limbs and painful legs
and knees aren't the only problems covered by disability tags.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)
SLUG

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Odinn

On 7/3/2005 4:59 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:
"Odinn" wrote in message

On 7/3/2005 3:43 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:

You've obviously never gotten into our out of a recent Corvette, they're
easier to get in and out of than my Stratus.

Well you obviously do not have bad knees. Simply getting up from a low
sitting position is more difficult than standing up from a higher sitting
position. I have sat in plenty of Corvettes, I retired from the automotive
industry selling GM vehicles, parts and service. They are not as easy to
get out of as a full sized car or truck.

I do have bad knees, and getting in and out of my Stratus is hell on
them. I didn't say there were as easy as a truck, but they are easier
to get in and out of than my Stratus. Altho, my motorcycle is even
easier to get off of than it is to get out of either the car or truck, I
just fall off.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)
SLUG

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Odinn

On 7/3/2005 5:08 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:
"Odinn" wrote in message

You're the one proclaiming that a handicapped person shouldn't drive a
Corvette.

No, I have simply indicated that if you have no problem getting in and out
of a Corvette you probably won't have trouble walking an extra 150' to get
into the store like the rest of us. The walk inside the Borg that the OP
used as an example is normally going to make the parking lot walk seem
pretty short by comparison. The fact is, probably 90% of those people
driving vehicles that require more effort to get in and out of would suffer
no ill effects by walking a bit farther. I do admit that the there are
exceptions but I seldom witness people parking in handicap spots moving any
slower than I do.

So, only people with physical walking problems are handicapped? Damn,
you are dense.